tim's Ncase M1 build - help needed

timason

n00b
Hello,

I need a few suggestions for this upcoming build. I intend to build this as soon as I get the Ncase M1 case (Mid March). Prices are listed CAD including 12% tax, as I live in Vancouver, BC.

Already owned parts include the EVGA 1080 Hybrid, an ADATA 512 GB 2.5" SSD and a shucked 8TB 3.5" drive. I purchased on Boxing Day the ram, 2 x 8 GB of Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000 and a Samsung 970 evo 500 GB M.2 drive. I would like to stay with Noctua for all fans if possible. I don't want to go with AIO for the CPU this time.

A decent CPU cooler that matches this case seems to be the NH-D9L and I was thinking of adding a secondary NF-A9 PWM on the left side of the cooler mounted vertically.
Going with the NH-U9S with secondary NF-A9 PWM as suggested.

For drives, I will have the M.2 for the OS, the 2.5" SSD mounted vertically at the front section, and the 3.5" HDD at the bottom of the case. I would like to put a fan next to it but I don't know what size I can fit there after I put the 3.5" drive...
Will leave that spot empty as a duct.

For the GPU, I would like to replace the 120mm fan itself. I have no idea what to look for.
Will use the NF-A12x25 PWM as suggested.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Tim

updated list as of Feb 18th 2019.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($771.68 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $84.00)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For $323.00)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For $168.00)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $190.00)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $220.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Hybrid Gaming Video Card (Purchased For $1007.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $145.00)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM 46.44 CFM 92mm Fan (Purchased For $23.50)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $42.50)
Other: NCase M1 (Purchased For $300.00)
Other: 8TB 3.5" HDD (Purchased For $200.00)
Total: $3474.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 23:01 EST-0500

Last edited:
Noctua NH-U9S instead, second NF-A9 PWM on rear exhaust (but coupled to fan on the CPU heat sink with a 2-way splitter)...

With a 3.5" HDD in the bottom of the chassis, I think you are looking at a 92mm fan down below, set as intake; but since you have a hybrid cooled GPU with a blower fan, maybe a simple duct to couple the bottom of the chassis with the radial fan...

For a replacement for your GPU AIO fan, go with the Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM, best radiator fan ever...

But I am going to guess the GPU AIO is going to be mounted to the side bracket (forward position), which means all your CPU air is going to be heated by the GPU...

Thanks. As in duct you mean don't put a fan, right?

If the GPU AIO is going to heat up my CPU, should I use a front forward Noctua cooler like the NH-L9x65 ?

Thanks. As in duct you mean don't put a fan, right?

Correct, although if you have a 92x25mm fan sitting around that you do not mind gutting, that can serve as makeshift duct as well...

If the GPU AIO is going to heat up my CPU, should I use a front forward Noctua cooler like the NH-L9x65 ?

IMHO, for best cooling with an AIO GPU, I think one needs to run an AIO on the CPU as well, with two 120x15mm fans in the bottom as intake & the AIOs both as intake on the side bracket...

Let positive pressure work the rest out...?

Here is a recent run-down of the more prevalent cooling schemes in the M1 chassis, just start reading the thread from here...

Thanks Boil!
I have made up my mind. I will go with the U9.
I am not going to worry too much about the GPU blowing hot air at the moment since I will eventually change the card at some point.
Regarding removing the hard drive at the bottom, I will consider building a secondary computer just for storage...

Back