TIE FIGHTER 2

Would you buy TIE FIGHTER 2 if they made it?

• YES

Votes: 242 92.4%
  • NO

Votes: 20 7.6%

• Total voters
Definitely...I had the original 5 floppy disk version and then the CD version of the original Tie Fighter. While we are talking about Star Wars games, Jedi Knight 3 wouldn't be too bad either.

Heh, if only to see what ship they'd include to one-up the Tie Defender. (Assuming that was introduced in Tie Fighter, not X-Wing v. Tie Fighter . . .) What an overpowered ship.

Heh, if only to see what ship they'd include to one-up the Tie Defender. (Assuming that was introduced in Tie Fighter, not X-Wing v. Tie Fighter . . .) What an overpowered ship.
But the missions were damn hard, and the Defender made you feel like a bad ass. I remember running home from middle school to play a couple before my mom would get back from work and make me do homework, I still haven't played a better game.

I had the most fun playing in a simple TIE Fighter. One or two hits and you're toast. But then, I like imposing self-made restrictions on myself in games. Shields are for noobs. ;)

Meh nothing was better than missions in Tie Interceptor :) But i agree on the shields :)

I had the most fun playing in a simple TIE Fighter. One or two hits and you're toast. But then, I like imposing self-made restrictions on myself in games. Shields are for noobs. ;)

agreed.

I remember going from X-Wing to Tie Fighter. How I quickly learned to Hate the rebel scum.

I remember flying with the Rebels and how you could max your shields to hipcheck Ties into oblivion.

You fly for the Empire, and you start off in your basic Tie Fighter. Unshielded, Under powered, with no missles. You survive due to your flying/aiming skills.

Damn those rebel scum. Damn them all to Hell!

You fly for the Empire, and you start off in your basic Tie Fighter. Unshielded, Under powered, with no missles. You survive due to your flying/aiming skills.

Not necessarily. The lure of Tie Fighter, that I don't think has been explicitly mentioned here, is that it wasn't your typical 'invincible hero' game. It was about being part of something larger. You had your nameless squad and you fought with them. Sure, most of the time they were useless and you had to be a hero anyway, but you at least started with the pretense that you couldn't win the war on your own.

Tie Fighter's success could easily be duplicated with nothing more than the same type of stories/missions with any modern space-fighting engine. That was also part of Wing Commander's success, along with the concept of multiple ships that weren't just pretty color schemes.. they all had purposes and strengths and weaknesses. You just don't see that today anymore. It's all about painting skull decals on your ship and choosing a clan and earning achievements. Don't mind that you're flying the same three or four missions over and over again*, just get those 10,000 points!

(*Even though technically Tie Fighter/X-Wing all had very similar basic mission types, it usually ended up being at least a little different each time.)

Wing Commander Prophecy had the whole "one of a horde" feel going for it. I'll never forget the first time I assaulted an enemy capital ship formation and the enemy carrier's started spewing fighters to combat the huge mass of "good guys" coming in on them.

That was one intense game.

As long as the game was at least as fun as the original TIE Fighter and X-Wing I would buy it in a heartbeat. Those games were just flat out fun.

I remember playing the early demo of TIE Fighter. The mission itself wasn't very hard, but if you wanted to, you could hang around and fight it out with Rogue Squadron A-Wings. A single TIE Fighter against them was a bitch.

Tie Fighter was fantastic fun.
More Tie Fighter and more StarWars would make my best gaming year.

Shit, even REMAKES of X-Wing, TIE Fighter and XWA would be a veritable license to print money for Lucas Arts...

XWA's skirmish mission editor kicked ass, I'd send an SSD and as many mixed squadrons of TIEs as I could get, against X-Wings, A-Wings, B-Wings and Rebel capital ships, with the mission goal set as destruction of all enemy capital ships. 3 respawns for Rebel fighters, infinite respawns for TIEs, and let the fun begin.

XWA Upgrade needs to get the fuck finished, and it better work in Vista 64, too!!!

XWA Upgrade needs to get the fuck finished, and it better work in Vista 64, too!!!

Works just fine, I've been playing XWA (thanks to this thread) on Vista64 with all the updated models I could download from XWAUpdate. You need these installers to actually install the game, though:
http://markusegger.at/Software/Games.aspx

And the Launcher for XWA doesn't work under vista, but running the main executable works just fine. Plays great, and the updated models are nice. I can't force AA through the control panel, but I think that's a bug that's been around for a while. It's hilarious how the missions load in about 2 seconds. I remember waiting quite a while for mission loads the first time I played this game years ago.

Works just fine, I've been playing XWA (thanks to this thread) on Vista64 with all the updated models I could download from XWAUpdate. You need these installers to actually install the game, though:
http://markusegger.at/Software/Games.aspx

And the Launcher for XWA doesn't work under vista, but running the main executable works just fine. Plays great, and the updated models are nice. I can't force AA through the control panel, but I think that's a bug that's been around for a while. It's hilarious how the missions load in about 2 seconds. I remember waiting quite a while for mission loads the first time I played this game years ago.

Kick ass, now I've gotta find a copy of XWA, I can't seem to find my old one.

XWA's skirmish mission editor kicked ass, I'd send an SSD and as many mixed squadrons of TIEs as I could get, against X-Wings, A-Wings, B-Wings and Rebel capital ships, with the mission goal set as destruction of all enemy capital ships. 3 respawns for Rebel fighters, infinite respawns for TIEs, and let the fun begin.

Dude, I agree. I don't know how much time I put into creating skirmishes with the editor. I always enjoyed setting up some crazy odds against me and my squadron and seeing if I could survive. :D

we all know if they made a Tie Fighter 2, it would totally NEVER live up to the expectations and not because we were spoiled with X-wing & Tie Fighters but because Lucas Arts can't make a game worth a damn. Plus it would probably end up as a arcade shooter thingie like those recent WW2 plane games.

Hell, I'd be happy with ANY space combat game, there hasn't really been one since, what, Freespace 2. I'd take a descent 4 even.

I played that game so much I needed new challenges. So I would play that training mission in the tunnels with a mouse instead of a joystick.

And most of the time I would rather have been in a tie interceptor instead of the gunboat. But the ion cannon did have it's place.

we all know if they made a Tie Fighter 2, it would totally NEVER live up to the expectations and not because we were spoiled with X-wing & Tie Fighters but because Lucas Arts can't make a game worth a damn. Plus it would probably end up as a arcade shooter thingie like those recent WW2 plane games.

Hell, I'd be happy with ANY space combat game, there hasn't really been one since, what, Freespace 2. I'd take a descent 4 even.

Oooh...Descent. I can't count how many hours I wasted playing that game.

Tie Fighter 2 with modern graphics would rock. Just don't make the AI with near godlike capabilities, a-la X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, and we'll be OK.

I played that game so much I needed new challenges. So I would play that training mission in the tunnels with a mouse instead of a joystick.

And most of the time I would rather have been in a tie interceptor instead of the gunboat. But the ion cannon did have it's place.

The missile boat was the Shizatt! Plucking the turrets off a star destroyer like it was a Christmas Turkey was awesome.

I dug up my old Video cards from back in the TIE FIGHTER days.

mulletolduq0.jpg

Great games, they where serious flight simulators in SW universe (with some story), that was the key to their success.

Too bad no suits at Lucasarts understand what the market wants.

Considering the following:

Tie-Fighter is my single Favorite game of all time (#1), I will have to say Yes I would buy Tie-Fighter 2. Though that being said, every since Tie-Fighter vs X-Wing and beyond LucasArts has made some terrible games. KOTOR was an exception and The Force Unleashed looks great so far, so my hopes are they will start turning out quality games again. If they had made TF2 a few years ago I would have cried, as I have no doubt it would have been butchered.

Here's to hoping one day we see it.

I dug up my old Video cards from back in the TIE FIGHTER days.
Ah, the old days when a video card with a fan on it was unbelievably hardcore. Hell, even a passive heatsink was impressive back then, most cards just had bare chips.

I remember playing the hell out of this game when i was a kid, i was like 10 or when this game came out. Easily the best star wars game ive ever played. The more recent Rogue Squadron games have nothing on TIE Fighter. Id be down for even just a remake with enhanced graphics.

I would buy it. There should be a "classic" game developer that all they do is remake ~10 year old classic games.

I'd buy Tie Fighter if they would simply just redo and make it at current resolutions...I don't care if it was the same graphics at all...just fit it on my monitor. ^_^

People, please: it's TIE Fighter. TIE is an acronym for twin ion engine.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Lol sorry, didn't notice I typed it that way... CORRECTION: TIE Fighter.

Yes, BUT...

It would have to have the same quality of GAME PLAY and not just be a mediocre game with flashy graphics.

The game play in X-wing and Tie Fighter were spot on, tight, immersive, exciting...

They could keep all the old missions the same as far as I'm concerned. The obvious differences like graphics enhancements and higher resolutions go without saying. The only real game change I would like to see is better AI, especially for your copilots, so you feel more like a squadron instead of a loner with a bunch of idiots flying next to you.

Considering the following:

Tie-Fighter is my single Favorite game of all time (#1), I will have to say Yes I would buy Tie-Fighter 2. Though that being said, every since Tie-Fighter vs X-Wing and beyond LucasArts has made some terrible games. KOTOR was an exception and The Force Unleashed looks great so far, so my hopes are they will start turning out quality games again. If they had made TF2 a few years ago I would have cried, as I have no doubt it would have been butchered.

Here's to hoping one day we see it.

Oh yea, definitely. TIE Fighter is in my top 5. Though I personally enjoyed KOTOR 2 more than KOTOR. I hope they make a KOTOR 3 just as much as a TIE Fighter 2.

I need to fix my sound so I can experience TIE Fighter in all its glory again. :( It's all ready to go except for a general sound problem I have. :/

I'd much rather see a new Privateer, Wing Commander or Freelancer game than a Tie Fighter sequel

Great games, they where serious flight simulators in SW universe (with some story), that was the key to their success.

Too bad no suits at Lucasarts understand what the market wants.

The same thing with EA. I was so mad when those dumbasses junked Jane's. :mad:

The thing I really wonder is this.. has the market changed so much that people just wont buy Space-Flight Sims any longer?

The last 10 years has has virtually no new Space Sim Games, where the Previous 10 had a boatload of them. FPS Games have taken the market space that space sims once owned.

Few own a Joystick any longer, and I dont think there are a lot of current game players under 25 that have ever even played a space flight sim or have interest in them.

Tie Fighter was awesome back in the day. I doubt any sequel could possibly live up to the expectations though.

The thing I really wonder is this.. has the market changed so much that people just wont buy Space-Flight Sims any longer?

The last 10 years has has virtually no new Space Sim Games, where the Previous 10 had a boatload of them. FPS Games have taken the market space that space sims once owned.

Few own a Joystick any longer, and I dont think there are a lot of current game players under 25 that have ever even played a space flight sim or have interest in them.

I love space fighter sims...but for some as you point out they've stopped making them in US markets. I know I've seen several ports of others and one german one interested me but they didn't translate the manual. The mechanics were insanely complex and you could have a fleet along side your one ship(up to capital ships). The control issue was that it required combo's as well like CTRL + 1 to do so many things.

I really can't understand why space sims are basically gone. THe only ones that exist now are stupid auto-tracking aim versions where you lock on and fire at an enemy...so stupid.

Back