Thrift store find thread.

Finds in the last few weeks.

Board games:
Monopoly Deluxe - in great shape with all pieces. $4
Axis & Allies - maybe used once or twice - $3 It is a collectors edition and goes for $50 to over $100 on Amazon. Giving to SIL for Christmas.
Stratego - brand new - $3
Risk - maybe used a couple times - $3
-------------------------------------------------------------

Gas powered leaf blower - $10 - missing the choke nob.. otherwise works great.

PS2 Dual Shock controller 0.99 - like new

Logitech Quick Cam and HP headset with mic - $2

Wooden frog rolling pull toy - 0.99 - saving for baby. These normally go for $10-15 new.

The one thrift shop I frequent started getting "old" bakery bread from the grocery store across the street - sell by date is usually that day or the next day - they give it away for free - limit 3 loaves unless they have multiple shopping carts full; then it is take however much you want.

While I was out yesterday I came across an old electric guitar. after I was home that night I had the urge to look it up and see if it was any good (I have been wanting to learn how to play).

Turned out that is was an old 1960's Teisco EJ-2 (Kimberly branded) with dual gold foil pickups.

The ones on Ebay in about the same shape - maybe a bit worse - are selling from $200-500.

I was so glad that it was still there this morning. I picked it up for $70 + tax.

send me an email

That too. Anything handknotted wool and asymmetrical will be most likely worth something. So if you are in the sub $50 range you are going to probably be a couple times your investment on it at least.

also Where can we even sell it to? Besides ebay and craigslist.

I got about 30 pounds of Ceramic 486 CPUS for 650$.

Il have to wither Ebay them or bring them to a scrapper, From what I hear Scappers pay out almost 100$ a pound for them..

Picked up from Goodwill:
Canon Optura 20 camcorder in bag with accessories for $38 a little over two years ago, which was a great match with my Sony DCR-TRV38
Slim PS2 $5 a few months ago
Crysis Maximum Edition(sealed) $8
FarCry $4
numerous other PC games for $1-$4, some sealed and fairly recent
a few HD-DVDs for $2
saw an XBOX for $8 with two controllers, but didn't buy it
full-motion Sansa ~50"+ TV wall mount sealed $80
plenty of other things

I go to Goodwill at least once a week

Anyone know why anyone would buy cable modems from thrift stores?

I've bought a cable modem from a thrift store before for $3. It was a motorola.

You just have to call your cable company and have them add it to your account to make sure it works.

$3 for a $60 cable modem is not a bad deal at all.

I got about 30 pounds of Ceramic 486 CPUS for 650$.

Il have to wither Ebay them or bring them to a scrapper, From what I hear Scappers pay out almost 100$ a pound for them..

Ok, Im totally done with Goodwill forever. THey shiped this to me, After my brother, who Is scapper, offered to pay me in exces of 3000$ for them, and it turned out to be 12 pounds of Plastic CPUs worth nearly nothing.

They did acept a return however.

Rebooting the thrift shop find thread.

Yesterday found
a Radica u-create music machine. $2 very cool mixing device for kids but hell I like it too!
A Fender Mini Tone Master amp. looks like a little fender guitar amp. $15 (kinda high $$$ but I had to have it)

AND The coup de gras, (sic) A First edition 1925 copy of H. Rider Haggard "Queen of the dawn" $2
My favorite author!!

I stop by Goodwill occasionally. I've bought some martini glasses for my kids. They like to have something special to put their milk in when the adults have wine glasses. At under a buck a pop I'm not overly concerned if they break them occasionally. I've also bought some random toys for my kids that are cheap and keep them occupied. Usually there's nothing good, but I keep my eyes out anyway.

I almost scored a Pentax K-1000 for $25. It was in a glass case so I walked away to go find someone to open it. When I came back it was gone.

Me and my wife love going to the thrift stores.

She has found some amazing deals.

Our whole wardrobes are basically thrift store clothes.

I got a non-functioning Pentax ME, and a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 for $20-30. I ditched the camera and used the 50mm on my K-r until I switched to Nikon. It and the 85mm I had were my favorite lenses with that kit.

I also got a non-functioning Nikon FE with a Nikon Series-E 50mm 1.8, which works just fine for $10, A Minolta 80-210mm F4 AF For $10, a set of Klipsch Promedia speakers for $8 (gave them away because I didn't feel like wiring up their TRS connectors to the bare wire leads my amp uses), a Leica compact zoom camera for $5 (stuffed in the back of their junk electronics shelf, LOL), and a bagged lot of Nikon gear for $40, which I flipped for over $100. While not at Goodwill, I once haggled a local antique shopkeeper to sell me a Minolta 7000 camera with a 50mm 1.8 AF and a 28-135mm "secret handshake" lens for $60. I made over $200 off of that deal.

Found a $300 cuisinart grind and brew a couple weeks ago just missing the hopper cover!

$25

Works like a dream. Smell fills the house.

my wife buy crystal glasses from thrift stores and sells them on etsy as toast glasses for weddings.

I bought a Minolta camera with several lenses for $12.50 at our local Goodwill a few months ago on the half-price Saturday that they have here occasionally. Those lenses work great with my Sony Alpha a57 DSLR!

a month or so ago I found a Electrovoice N/D267a microphone. Brand new. $4.
Imma start rappin for a livin.

Got two ST290 flight sticks for $2.50, 10 19v Silent Typhoons for $1 each, and a bunch of assorted cables and adapters for next to nothing not too long ago. This thread is making me want to go out more.

About 2 years ago I picked up 12 TDX HX-S 90 new cassettes at a thrift store for $3.

$2 for a strange short stand that I can only assume was to hold 2 rolls of toilet paper, after a lysol bath I hang my headphones on there.

Wife bought a ton of books last night at the thrift store. A couple Dr Laura books, cooking books, health books, etc...

I found a VHS tape rewinder for $1.

found this

Logitech Wireless /Cordless MX Duo (Keyboard, Model# Y-RJ20 & Optical Mouse, Model# MX700 w/ Base Station, receiver & power-cord Combo,) (Mouse Kit) PN:867282-0100

I think my best thrift shop score was a set of Revere Ware pans. They had various sticker prices from $5 to $10 each, but were also 50% off for a promotion. Even better is that they were an older set, made in the US, back when Revere Ware was a quality product.

I did not get any reply ... about that is there any Thrift store near Los Angels... i hope that this time i will get some answers:confused:

Goodwill, salvation army, and a bunch of hipster stores that charge a bunch.

Klipsch Promeda 2.1's (new version) at Goodwill Austin for $25. Still working perfectly, great condition

A week earlier found the original version Promedia's for $35 at another Thrift store but after using it for a while the sub needs to be fixed, it's rattling.

Klipsch Promeda 2.1's (new version) at Goodwill Austin for $25. Still working perfectly, great condition

A week earlier found the original version Promedia's for $35 at another Thrift store but after using it for a while the sub needs to be fixed, it's rattling.

Local thrift stores can indeed have some rather odd finds - by and large their ONLY competition are somewhat offbeat (the Refurbished section of MicroCenter, Ross Stores/TJX, etc.). It's why I scour the local thrifts in ADDITION to TJX stores (remember, I'm the same PGHammer that posted about the Microsoft Wireless Keyboards at a local TJX store). I've found a genuine HP notebook adapter brick at a local thrift, and I'll be looking for another one (same laptop) next week - STARTING with the local thrifts. (I accidentally broke off the top of this adapter in the Notebook In Question - in short, a PEBKAC goof.) I've also found PC software at local thrifts - including still-usable game, application, and operating-system software (IBM OS/2 Warp, for example, has turned up "repeatedly" at one local thrift - that SAME thrift also had a copy of Microsoft Fury3 - the first game developed specifically for "Windows NT" - naturally, I grabbed it).

Long post ahead just so you're warned...

I know it won't mean much of anything to anyone else - maybe a few knowledgeable folk, perhaps - but I was at a Savers here in Las Vegas the other day scouring over their "electronics" section which is where they bag all the hardware and hang it on hooks on a wall. Nothing in particular stood out during the scouring until I saw what looked like a set of headphones - mind you I have several sets at this time: a 1st gen pair of Sony V6 purchased in 1986, a 1st gen pair of Koss PortaPros purchased in 1985, a few sets of Koss KSC-75 earclips, a Sony noise canceling full ear set that I removed the noise canceling circuit from (because it sucked and didn't help at all), and a Plantronics headset/mic that originally was part of the Microsoft Sidewinder GameVoice hardware (from 2000, even) - it's still the best sounding mic I've ever used so like most all of my belongings I take very good care of it. The GameVoice hardware - aside from the headset - was ahead of its time unfortunately and just didn't take off as Microsoft had hoped.

Anyway, while scouring and noting the headphones, I grabbed the bag and realized exactly what they were/are: an honest to goodness brand new (including the manual/paperwork) set of Radio Shack aka Realistic Pro-35 headphones from many many years past. This is an original set, not the updated Pro-35A that came out a few years later with the grey color scheme - these are the original solid black headphones with "TITANIUM" on the sides to denote the fact that the driver diaphragm is coated with a layer of Titanium a few microns thick.

And as expected, they literally are brand new, never used from what I can tell, not a mark on them, the pads are untouched and still soft as expected. I'm guessing that whoever owned them previously either just never used them or didn't have a clue about how awesome their sound quality actually is. The original Pro-25 (the Pro-35 predecessor headphones) were absolutely stunning as well and for good reason:

All the Radio Shack "Titanium" laced models share a heritage with the Koss PortaPros (first produced in 1984) because the Pro-series of headsets for Radio Shack (using the Realistic trade name) were made for them by Koss, the company that created stereo headphones in the first place back in 1958. Yes I'm a fan of Koss products, have been for decades so finding these effectively brand new Pro-35 headphones was a major catch, at least to me. :)

They sound as awesome as expected and I'll treasure them for as long as I own them considering that Radio Shack is now unfortunately gone from the retail market. I grew up shopping at Radio Shack in the early 1970s, always loved just going there with my Dad and checking out whatever was new and grabbing a free battery (I even still have a few "Free Battery" cards too) on the way out along with the awesome catalogs - if you're a fan of those and just like looking at the history of consumer electronics from Radio Shack's point of view, there's a website you should check out sometime:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

Not sure how long that site will stay around but it's always fun to take a look at how far things have come from "the good old days" where some of us older folk (yes, I'm dating myself, so be it) can remember by flipping through some of those old catalogs.

A trip down memory lane I suppose... here's a few pics of the headphones:

The song "She's A Beauty" by The Tubes keeps playing in my head and now through the Pro-35 headphones, amazingly, thanks to modern technology and YouTube (and yes I know the song certainly ain't about a pair of headphones but whatever). :D

Anyway, for the amazingly insane price of only $2.99 I now have a collector's item to cherish once more which is nice considering they were $39.99 originally (as seen here on page 105 of the 2000 Radio Shack Catalog when they were introduced)

Funny thing: I found the Plantronics headset at the same Savers thrift store about 5 years ago for the same price: $2.99.

Strange things are afoot in Las Vegas, I tell ya.

Long post ahead just so you're warned...

I know it won't mean much of anything to anyone else - maybe a few knowledgeable folk, perhaps - but I was at a Savers here in Las Vegas the other day scouring over their "electronics" section which is where they bag all the hardware and hang it on hooks on a wall. Nothing in particular stood out during the scouring until I saw what looked like a set of headphones - mind you I have several sets at this time: a 1st gen pair of Sony V6 purchased in 1986, a 1st gen pair of Koss PortaPros purchased in 1985, a few sets of Koss KSC-75 earclips, a Sony noise canceling full ear set that I removed the noise canceling circuit from (because it sucked and didn't help at all), and a Plantronics headset/mic that originally was part of the Microsoft Sidewinder GameVoice hardware (from 2000, even) - it's still the best sounding mic I've ever used so like most all of my belongings I take very good care of it. The GameVoice hardware - aside from the headset - was ahead of its time unfortunately and just didn't take off as Microsoft had hoped.

Anyway, while scouring and noting the headphones, I grabbed the bag and realized exactly what they were/are: an honest to goodness brand new (including the manual/paperwork) set of Radio Shack aka Realistic Pro-35 headphones from many many years past. This is an original set, not the updated Pro-35A that came out a few years later with the grey color scheme - these are the original solid black headphones with "TITANIUM" on the sides to denote the fact that the driver diaphragm is coated with a layer of Titanium a few microns thick.

And as expected, they literally are brand new, never used from what I can tell, not a mark on them, the pads are untouched and still soft as expected. I'm guessing that whoever owned them previously either just never used them or didn't have a clue about how awesome their sound quality actually is. The original Pro-25 (the Pro-35 predecessor headphones) were absolutely stunning as well and for good reason:

All the Radio Shack "Titanium" laced models share a heritage with the Koss PortaPros (first produced in 1984) because the Pro-series of headsets for Radio Shack (using the Realistic trade name) were made for them by Koss, the company that created stereo headphones in the first place back in 1958. Yes I'm a fan of Koss products, have been for decades so finding these effectively brand new Pro-35 headphones was a major catch, at least to me. :)

They sound as awesome as expected and I'll treasure them for as long as I own them considering that Radio Shack is now unfortunately gone from the retail market. I grew up shopping at Radio Shack in the early 1970s, always loved just going there with my Dad and checking out whatever was new and grabbing a free battery (I even still have a few "Free Battery" cards too) on the way out along with the awesome catalogs - if you're a fan of those and just like looking at the history of consumer electronics from Radio Shack's point of view, there's a website you should check out sometime:

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

Not sure how long that site will stay around but it's always fun to take a look at how far things have come from "the good old days" where some of us older folk (yes, I'm dating myself, so be it) can remember by flipping through some of those old catalogs.

A trip down memory lane I suppose... here's a few pics of the headphones:

The song "She's A Beauty" by The Tubes keeps playing in my head and now through the Pro-35 headphones, amazingly, thanks to modern technology and YouTube (and yes I know the song certainly ain't about a pair of headphones but whatever). :D

Anyway, for the amazingly insane price of only $2.99 I now have a collector's item to cherish once more which is nice considering they were $39.99 originally (as seen here on page 105 of the 2000 Radio Shack Catalog when they were introduced)

Funny thing: I found the Plantronics headset at the same Savers thrift store about 5 years ago for the same price: $2.99.

Strange things are afoot in Las Vegas, I tell ya.

Ohhhh, I love my Pro 25 headphones before my little brother put who knows how much power through them and blew them.

Got a second pair after that and used the for quite a few more years until they basically started falling apart.

I actually completely forgot about this thread until today.

My latest good find was a Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker set for $20 a couple months ago.

Oh, and around the same time I got a Canon Powershot SD990 IS for $10.

The same day I am pretty sure we picked up a Buffalo N router for $3 and a Netgear? - not sure of the brand AC router for $10 which we flashed to the next highest model that at the time went for about $150.

The other day I picked up a copy of the game Pentago for $4.

Found a Belkin PureAV Home theater power Power Console/Surge Protector. $8!

Pretty nice, Looks great and has nice blue lights.

Belkin_AP20800_10_PF30_Home_Theater_Power_494421.jpg

I found a matching set of three Dell 19" monitors for $10 each. Not great monitors (TN, about 8 years old, 1907FP models I think), but two of them fit well in portrait mode on either side of my 27" IPS and give me more room to work.

I found a matching set of three Dell 19" monitors for $10 each. Not great monitors (TN, about 8 years old, 1907FP models I think), but two of them fit well in portrait mode on either side of my 27" IPS and give me more room to work.

Those old Dell 19" monitors are great for using on a retro system OR for using for VGA for old consoles such as the Dreamcast or with a converter box.

The scaling chip in them works really good for an LCD monitor. Not all blurry like a lot of them.

I currently have 3 of them.

At the local dump they have a "swap station" where you just leave stuff you think other people might like....like shelves or kids toys. I usually check it when I take trash up there.

2 weeks ago I found this Dell Inspiron 2320. i3, Touchscreen. It also HDMI and component in, so you can use it as a screen for an Xbox or whatever. 1920x1080 23" screen.

It boots up and I can hear Windows chime, but no screen. Seems a common problem with these things. It's about $100 to fix. Was thinking about getting my son his first computer and this might be a good start.

Dell_Inspiron_2320.jpg

Back