• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Three Hours with Id's 'Rage'

Kinsaras

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
3,614
http://www.platformnation.com/2011/08/08/three-hours-with-ids-rage/

Judging by everyone I talked to at QuakeCon, I was not alone in almost wholeheartedly writing off id Softwares upcoming post-apocalyptic first-person shooter Rage. Also judging by everyone I talked to at QuakeCon, I am now not alone in feeling like a damn fool for having done so.

Rage is very much an id game when you look at it in the grand scheme of things. It's certainly hard to quantify why I say that (though it's also a sentiment John Carmack shared in his keynote this year), but you definitely get that sensation. Perhaps it's the quick movement or certain kitchen sink design choices that harkens to shooters of old, but it's definitely hard to miss.

It says something that after spending three hours with the game last Friday, though, that I still can't nail down what made the demo stand out so much. Yes, Rage is yet another post-apocalyptic shooter; yes, Rage is very brown; and yes to a dozen other things that you may have niggling doubts about over the game, but trust me, the sum is (thus far) much greater than its individual parts.

The demo opens with a rather striking cinematic. Despite being very sparse in the narrative department, you can get the whole story and even experience a tinge of emotion as the exceptionally orchestral music awakens something very dramatic deep inside of you. In short, the world is ending. 99942 Apophis is a very real and very large asteroid that has a one in 250,000 chance of colliding with Earth on April 13, 2036, but in the world of Rage, Apophis hits Earth in the most spectacularly catastrophic of ways on August 23, 2038, and it's all downhill from there.

You play as the silent protagonist who turns out to be one of (if not the only) survivor of the Ark, a specially built housing chamber for those selected to carry on the human legacy. On both sides of the fortune spectrum, however, you are not alone. Following your awakening from your presumably long sleep, you stumble out into the Wasteland and are almost immediately attacked by a mutant, a moment that actually almost had me jump out of my seat. Fortunately for you, a non-Ark survivor named Dan Hagar (played by John Goodman) comes to your rescue and takes you away to Hagar Settlement, your first safe haven from the numerous hostiles he points out to you as you ride in his buggy.

The drive is pretty lengthy, so I get to looking around the world a fair bit, and it is gorgeous. True to many things Carmack said during his keynote/rant, it does look like a moving painting and the expansive landscapes are rather impressive. Also true to his words, things get muddy upon closer inspection. This is due to the MegaTexture (called Virtual Texturing with Rage and Doom 4s advancements) technologys limitation on how it wraps 40964096 pages of textures across all models and sprites, opting for impressive vistas and improved RAM usage over minute details and more easily created textures.

Hagar says a lot of things during the drive and upon your arrival at his settlement, but some key parts stand out: 1) you, like other Ark survivors, are special, 2) there is something called the Authority that seems to rule much of the world, and 3) its dangerous out there.

Throughout the demo, a lot of other characters and factions (and there seem to be a fair number of those hanging around) talk about the Authority. They track down and reward others who bring in Ark survivors, something Hagar mentions when he points out that your Ark suit is going to draw a lot of attention, but not much more is known about them. They might be experimenting on mutants and they might also be attempting some martial law, but I never found out for sure what was true and what wasnt.

It seems, though, that they and many others are looking for Ark survivors because of their specialness, the degree of which you begin to discover on your first mission for Dan Hagar. He loads you up with a pistol and a loaner ATV and tells you to clear out the mutants that might have seen you two kill their buddies during your rescue.

The ATV handles pretty nicely. At first I felt like it was a bit sluggish but with extremely tight handling, but there is a boost button and boy howdy do you haul ass with that boost. There ¡s a nice zoom out effect when you speed up, giving you that extra sense of seriously trucking across the terrain. It almost feels like the ATV handles analogously to the player in that you can change speeds and directions fairly quickly. When you hit the hand brake, you stop. Hard.

And for the record, if you hit something hard enough, you will go flying and probably die.

Upon reaching the enemy hideout, you start clearing them out. The pistol you are given is weak and fires slowly and honestly gave me almost immediate doubt as to whether or not id had already lost my interest in this game. But, I pressed on.

I should mention at this point, though, that I encountered a few bugs that involved enemies shooting through solid walls and getting stuck on geometry, but those are fairly minor. I have total confidence those are simply affectations of being a preview build.

Eventually the mutants captured me and sent me to the kill room. Lo and behold, they actually did kill me, but here is where you get your first taste of being a special Ark survivor; all Ark survivors have nanotechnology floating around inside of them and in this particular case, you can revive yourself when you die. It occurs through a little minigame where you have to match the analog sticks (I was playing on Xbox 360, though a PS3 and PC build were also available) with what is shown on screen and simultaneously pull both triggers. If I had to compare it something I've never actually done but imagine being somewhat similar in sensation, its kind of like using a defibrillator. Depending on how you manage the final defibrillation, you get some portion of your health back and cause an explosion of sorts that knocks down if not kill all of the nearby enemies.

Supposedly, there will be other Ark powers to discover, but that was the only one I was given in my time with the game.

While it seems that it was a predetermined action that you are captured by the mutants, it wouldnt have surprised me if they were just sneaky enough to pull it off regardless. Once they catch sight of you, the mutants will immediately start running towards you and bounding off the walls and ceiling to avoid your fire. It actually gets quite tense. At some point I was backed all the way into a corner and at the last second managed to pop my pursuer in the noggin.

Of course, I could have also used my melee attack, which turns out to be fairly powerful. Once I got the feel for the game, I started capping runners in the knee and then using a melee to finish them off. This is not a criticism for being yet another FPS where the melee is an instant kill, last ditch effort sort of attack but rather how well the game plays. Things move fluidly and quickly enough to where I can shoot a runner or two in the leg, unload a couple more rounds in those behind cover with guns, and then come back to finish those on the ground before they recover. It all feels amazingly satisfying.

It gets even better once you ditch the useless pistol. Or rather, once you ditch the useless pistol ammo. Some weapons have multiple ammo types, and the pistol upgrades to fat rounds that turn it more into a traditional magnum-class revolver than a starter handgun. It usually killed most enemies in one shot, though that particular ammo was somewhat scarce. Of course, there were also the crossbow, sniper rifle, assault rifle, shotgun, and a bladed boomerang to use.

The boomerang was earned through a shooting gallery minigame with Hagar's daughter, and it was hardly the last side game I encountered in Rage. There is also a whole bunch of racing, car combat with buggy upgrades to boot, collectible cards which in turn become its own game, and more. Now you know why I said it had a kitchen sink sort of feel to it.

I guess that is why Rage actually kind of reminds me of Borderlands. It is not just the art style (though I'm sure that has something to do with it), but rather how the game is tied together. You chat people up in the open world environment, they tell you to go places and what they'll give you upon your return, and then you shoot someone, collect something, or flip a switch. When you're not doing that, there are plenty of job boards hanging around where you can pick up and complete different side quests, such as the one that continually rewards you for killing bandits in particular areas of the map. There ¡s also a battle arena that is very much Mad Moxxi.

Unfortunately, the vehicles are pretty subpar compared to Borderlands or any other games vehicles. Aside from the ATV for some reason, the rest of the whip sets all handle in an excessively floaty fashion. If you go any faster than walking speed, you instantly lose any semblance of turning radius and traction. This isn't a problem on some of the early race tracks where they are wide and the turns are soft, but when you're combating multiple bandit vehicles or attempting to finesse around Hagar's garage, it definitely gets a bit annoying.

However, that's really all I can put on my cons list after three hours with Rage. Given that I've really only explored a small fraction of the game, I can't say for sure if it stays that engaging or fun or varied the whole time, but I can definitely say I liked those three hours a whole lot. Like, a lot a lot.
 
Cool,
nice to see some hands on.

I only hear about Rage intermittently. I guess with it being released in October more people are getting exposure. I'm sad to hear that it's unlikely that a public demo will be available.
 
Why is it that whenever someone makes an OP that's more than a paragraph long the first reply is someone complaining about how it's too long? Sorry, not everything can be expressed in 140 characters or less.

On topic, thanks for your impressions. While I have faith in the Carmack magic, it's reassuring to know that it really is going to be as good as it's being made out to be.

Though honestly, the part about not being able to die sounds terrible to me.
 
Too bad there isn't a spoilers tag available. :/
 
Why is it that whenever someone makes an OP that's more than a paragraph long the first reply is someone complaining about how it's too long? Sorry, not everything can be expressed in 140 characters or less.

cause some of us are at work and dont have time to read the whole thing.
 
I'm not a huge fan of not being able to die myself. I even prefer being able to save at almost any time (ala Witcher) over not being able to die. Save the time it takes to play the mini game and let me try to do it again without screwing up. I feel that letting me progress when I've screwed up is a much less satisfying feeling than instead letting me fix my mistakes.
That's just my opinion though. I tend to be very picky about how I win at games.

And yeah, TL;DR has been getting ridiculous for a couple years now. It's a new fad that places based around short clips (reddit etc.) have perpetrated and it's been bleeding over to forums that never had issues with reading..

If I click on a link that says "Three Hours with Id's Rage", I expect it to be more than a snippet. It doesn't hurt having one at the end but it shouldn't be an expected courtesy.
 
I saw minigame mentioned more than once. Ick.
For all those TL : DR; grow up. Either read it or dont as you wish. Dont complain about it.
 
Sounds awesome. As for the whole dying thing, it's okay as long as you only get a couple of chances at it. You use it twice, then die after that, then you're dead. That's what it should be. Can't wait for this game. <3 id.
 
Not being able to die = disaster.

Thanks for saving me money
 
Not being able to die = disaster.

Thanks for saving me money

Wow! I would calm down there. Little is known on how it works exactly. Might be limited number of times one could die. It could even have an on/off switch like the Vita Chambers in BioShock.
 
Read it later? :rolleyes:
Seriously... crazy concept I know! Damn our instant gratification society.

Thanks for the write up. The more good impressions I hear the better I feel about the game. And I wouldn't worry too much about the can't die thing. You couldn't die in Prince of Persia 2008 but I don't think it really hurt the game. If anything, not having a game over screen to click through was actually kind of nice.
 
And I wouldn't worry too much about the can't die thing. You couldn't die in Prince of Persia 2008 but I don't think it really hurt the game. If anything, not having a game over screen to click through was actually kind of nice.

Exactly! Why is it people get shitfits over not having a Game Over screen when there's still a checkpoint system used that's probably similar to Bioshock's vitachambers?
 
cause some of us are at work and dont have time to read the whole thing.

Maybe you should save browsing forums for when you are at home. Hopefully you aren't in an important position like air traffic controller or someone who should be paying attention to their JOB instead of this thread! :D
 
Cool story bro.

Sadly I've reached the point where I do not trust the opinions of any other human being on the planet with regard to the quality of games.
 
Exactly! Why is it people get shitfits over not having a Game Over screen when there's still a checkpoint system used that's probably similar to Bioshock's vitachambers?

Woah woah,
The difference, as I said up there, is that it's a reset vs. continuing with your screw ups. At least that's it for me.

My comparison would be a sci-fi episode of some show that goes horribly wrong, but at the end it's ok because it turns out that it was just some alternate reality. Star Trek is pretty notorious for doing this several times..

I don't like continuing (like Bioshock) with the world being how it was after I screwed up. The immersion is shitty too. You could be fighting a big sister in Bioshock 2, and die 20 times fighting her, every time just to run back up and smack her in the face a couple of times. Not only was it CRAPPY from a gameplay standpoint, but the immersion and world is crap too as a result. It gives the impression, "Hey, why try to prepare for a situation when I can just keep dying and come back to shoot him a few more times from the Vitachamber?"

Bad design imo. Same with Prince of Persia. While it was gorgeous, and I enjoyed the characters, the gameplay was lacking and built for casual gamers who didn't care how they got to the end. Casual players don't care about the means. Great for them, but hard for me to enjoy.
 
No 3 hour video!?!

this-is-an-outrage.jpg
 
Cool story bro.

Sadly I've reached the point where I do not trust the opinions of any other human being on the planet with regard to the quality of games.

So, I guess you have to buy everything to test it yourself now?
 
I played it for about 20 minutes at Quakecon. It was fun. I'll be picking it up.
 
Nice to hear a not-paid-for-review & opinion. Good job!

Save a few replies, unfortunately the rest of this thread is pretty much just background forum noise...
 
I don't like continuing (like Bioshock) with the world being how it was after I screwed up. The immersion is shitty too. You could be fighting a big sister in Bioshock 2, and die 20 times fighting her, every time just to run back up and smack her in the face a couple of times. Not only was it CRAPPY from a gameplay standpoint, but the immersion and world is crap too as a result. It gives the impression, "Hey, why try to prepare for a situation when I can just keep dying and come back to shoot him a few more times from the Vitachamber?"

Open "Option" menu, turn Vitachambers off. Problem solved.
 
Open "Option" menu, turn Vitachambers off. Problem solved.

I wasn't saying that Bioshock 2 didn't have an ability around it. I did turn it off after my initial play through, and it does improve the game imo. I'm talking about the negative impact of the feature and game design. I would hope that Rage would include a feature to die. (By the sounds of it though, you can only do the mini game a few times so hopefully that eases my feelings of casualness)

Just because Fallout is a sandbox doesn't mean all games should be sandbox and have 20 paths to follow and 20 options at every turn. Sometimes less is more, and difficulty and death add to an experience rather than detract. Humans put value in experiences based on effort. People played SNES games and loved them and valued them. Give somebody an emulator and 200 "free" SNES games and they don't value it at all because of perceived value.
Penalties give the illusion of accomplishment. People can have their badges and steam accomplishments if it fools their heads. I'll take gameplay that's actually difficult.


**Edit
Also, this is starting to remind me of the stupid Morrowind "Fast travel" argument. I generally agree with the fact that you can turn it off. However, realize the psychology involved in gaming. The more you tweak your game, the more you feel like you're the one creating the rules in your world. The more you feel like you're responsible for the rules in your world, the less accomplishment you're going to feel for anything. This is why getting defaults right is important.
Otherwise, D&D people wouldn't have a game master. They'd run around doing whatever the hell they wanted. The psych is important.
 
Last edited:
I don't care about trophies or accomplishments, I've only got 100% in 2 games, and those were just cuz I played them a bunch. The only game I've ever wanted to get 100% and I'm close is Infamous for the PS3. I <3 that game. I agree with you about sandbox games. I get tired of extremely open ended games, and if I play an open ended game, i'll usually play the main story line missions, and then skip the rest. I use to love playing Nintendo, because it was actually a challenge, when you die, you have to restart the whole game, even if you were on the very last level. Those were the days. Although, i'm still yet to be dissapointed by an id game, and I remember reading that it's a linear game with the "illusion" that it's a sandbox game. It'll be interesting to see how it actually is.
 
Exactly! Why is it people get shitfits over not having a Game Over screen when there's still a checkpoint system used that's probably similar to Bioshock's vitachambers?

The game is not just checkpoint-based, there are quick-saves (on the PC at least, didn't play the console versions).

I would hope that Rage would include a feature to die. (By the sounds of it though, you can only do the mini game a few times so hopefully that eases my feelings of casualness)

From what I remember of the QTE/mini-game instructions, you can definitely fail and die, but I'm not sure about being able to do it multiple times--most likely there's an internal cool-down timer. You also have regenerating health, but it's generally only useful in between fights. You use bandages and possibly other health items during fights.
 
No offense to the first hand impressions but while this game looks alright it also looks like everything else like it. Id was known for pioneering games not just coping from everyone else and adding there own spin to it.

There really isn't anything "cutting edge" about this game from what I can tell. That's not to say it won't be fun to play but with about 10 games I'm planning to buy I can't really afford to buy games that aren't going to be something I'm totally interested in.

As for the long post , come on .. not every post has to be short. You want a long post for impressions on an unreleased game otherwise what's the point?
 
No offense to the first hand impressions but while this game looks alright it also looks like everything else like it. Id was known for pioneering games not just coping from everyone else and adding there own spin to it.

There really isn't anything "cutting edge" about this game from what I can tell. That's not to say it won't be fun to play but with about 10 games I'm planning to buy I can't really afford to buy games that aren't going to be something I'm totally interested in.

id is/was more known for pioneering game engines, not the games themselves. I've lost count of the number of times id games have been called "tech demos". In that respect, the engine looks quite good for what it's made for: highest quality possible @ 60fps.

But really, at this point I'd settle for a decent SP FPS game from anyone. Every UE3 game has floaty/input-lag-laden controls and the hyper-realistic shooters have too much crappy scripting to be enjoyable.
 
Thanks for the writeup! Rage looks to be fantastic. Between this, Skyrim, Dead Island and BF3 it looks as if Fall/Winter 2011 is going to be epic for gaming. Then, when I'm just starting to get bored ME3 will be here :)

Glad I never played Borderlands!!
 
While playing it at QuakeCon, I noticed someone die. I also noticed that while I was playing, at some point a voice informed me that some gizmo in my suit had fully recharged. I'm 99% sure that it refers to the defibrillator mechanic. Also, it's very easy to die, resurrect, and immediately die again. The game brings you back at low hp (depending on how you do in the mini game). I saw this many times with people playing. This was all on normal as well. I wouldn't worry too much about casualifaction.

The game was very fun. Certain gizmos lacked pizazz, like the RC car bomb, but overall they were varied and neat. Many will have issues with the texture quality in certain instances. There's noticeable texture pop the first time you enter new environments and if you stick your face into a wall, you'll see low rez textures.

This is the price of the technology the game runs on. Look up Carmack's keynote address for QuakeCon 2011 and you'll hear him talk all about it. The benefit is that the game looks solid and runs really really smoothly. It also 'feels' good mechanically.

Anyway, I'm definitely excited. Tribes: Ascend was a ton of fun as well. Maybe I'm just biased because I got to talk with the devs. Hrm.
 
id is/was more known for pioneering game engines, not the games themselves. I've lost count of the number of times id games have been called "tech demos". In that respect, the engine looks quite good for what it's made for: highest quality possible @ 60fps.

Yup, even Carmack agrees with this, he has said in a few interviews. He said their biggest failing was focusing on the prettiest graphics and pushed what really made id great, having fun. Rage is supposed to go back to those roots to what made FPS fun.

But saying they aren't trying something new, Pac-Man, wouldn't be totally right. Just look at the crazy animations every character has, even faking his own death when wounded. Very different enemy AIs. Sure this group might be like this game while this group is like another from a different game but to have it all in one game is pretty sweet, yet simple idea. It should keep gameplay fresh for much longer at the very least.
 
But saying they aren't trying something new, Pac-Man, wouldn't be totally right. Just look at the crazy animations every character has, even faking his own death when wounded. Very different enemy AIs. Sure this group might be like this game while this group is like another from a different game but to have it all in one game is pretty sweet, yet simple idea. It should keep gameplay fresh for much longer at the very least.

I didn't mean to imply that id were not trying something new (this game is certainly outside of their comfort zone given the RPG and travel mechanics), but was responding to Godmachine's complaint that the game has nothing "cutting-edge" and offers nothing that other games don't. In terms of gameplay, I agree with the former, but disagree completely with the latter.
 
id is/was more known for pioneering game engines, not the games themselves. I've lost count of the number of times id games have been called "tech demos". In that respect, the engine looks quite good for what it's made for: highest quality possible @ 60fps on a console

But really, at this point I'd settle for a decent SP FPS game from anyone. Every UE3 game has floaty/input-lag-laden controls and the hyper-realistic shooters have too much crappy scripting to be enjoyable.

fixed for accuracy lol :p
 
Back
Top