This Is Halo in Mixed Reality

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Halo: Recruit is the first official Halo experience made for VR: it’ll be available for free beginning October 17th through the Windows Store. While this is being dubbed an “experience” rather than a game, it serves as a first taste of Halo in VR and a commitment from Microsoft and Halo studio 343 Industries that they are exploring the medium.

When you play as the iconic Master Chief on a TV screen, you assume his massive seven-foot stature; enemies, vehicles, and world around you thus look small by comparison. On a TV screen, Grunts look like they might be three or four feet tall, while Elites feel about as tall as "you." Shield wielding Jackals seem to be about 5 or 6 feet, the size of a normal man. But that’s all way wrong. The books and games have alluded to the scale of these creatures, but never been able to truly convey it. Halo: Recruit however, is your first opportunity to see this universe at its proper scale.

Um, where's the AR part...that looks VR to me......it also looks like nobody at Studio343 has been keeping up on twin-gun shooters in VR :D

Microsoft’s Mixed Reality = VR... it's just their typical crappy naming/marketing

then again, it does use aspects of their AR solution, so it's not entirely unfitting, just a bit confusing at first

Neat demo, can't beat the price. I've never owned an X-Box and never got into Halo, so I hope they can deliver something bigger down the line that will appeal to non-fans.

As for the manufactured naming controversy: What I've been able to discern from MS's admittedly muddled communication on this is, Windows Mixed Reality is intended to be the name of the platform upon which AR and VR experiences are built. Whether this first round of HMDs can offer anything beyond a strictly VR experience remains to be seen, but one can't help but wonder what would keep the tracking cameras from doubling as a pass-through for an AR experience. Of course, some can't pass up any excuse to piss on MS's parade, regardless.

What year is it?

We've had better VR shooters for a while now. It was what, a year ago, that Epic dropped Bullet Train?

This looks like MS and 343 had an intern spend a Wednesday throwing this together. This looks like the worst of Steam's shovelware.

Neat demo, can't beat the price. I've never owned an X-Box and never got into Halo, so I hope they can deliver something bigger down the line that will appeal to non-fans.

As for the manufactured naming controversy: What I've been able to discern from MS's admittedly muddled communication on this is, Windows Mixed Reality is intended to be the name of the platform upon which AR and VR experiences are built. Whether this first round of HMDs can offer anything beyond a strictly VR experience remains to be seen, but one can't help but wonder what would keep the tracking cameras from doubling as a pass-through for an AR experience. Of course, some can't pass up any excuse to piss on MS's parade, regardless.

Redundant, since MS does a good enough job pissing on their own. For years Microsoft laughed off VR as they bet everything on Hololens. Now that Hololens is shelved, they're trying to play catch up and hoping to position themselves as VR content gatekeepers, but they're going about it low-effort.

A few hardware partners making HMD's, and a five minute halo themed techdemo aren't the killer app that they need to attract people to buying VR content and HMD's from their store.

MS understood that the original Xbox needed a killer launch title, and we got Halo. But they forgot that with the Windows 8 Store, the windows 10 store, and now their so-called "mixed reality" VR platform.

Nothing less than a full Halo 6 for PC, playable beginning to end in VR and available in the windows store is going to put "windows mixed reality" - or the windows 10 Store for that matter - on the map. If they want to be taken seriously, they need to do some heavy lifting and invest some money, just like Facebook-Oculus, Valve and HTC have done to get VR to where it is today. Hanging back and trying to copy everyone else's homework isn't a play that is going to really work anymore.

Last edited:
MickeySofts attempt to call this something "new" by referring to it's HMD and games/content as "Mixed Reality" is laughable. I'm just seeing VR here as far as this game is concerned. And by the looks of it, this is a pretty terrible example... something you would definitely NOT want to use to launch things with unless you actually want it to die. Like Decibel said, it looks like something an intern threw together in a day... one with a pretty bad hangover. This is really surprising given the deep pockets MS has and the fact that the competition has had a good year's head start. It's like coming to a gunfight with a letter opener.

Reactions: DPI
like this
In playing Battlefront II, I realized that the first person cockpit view needed to be in VR. That would make playing in that view much easier, or at least more fucking awesome.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Mixed or virtual? What is the name today?

"Mixed" is supposed to be a term for those videos where you see people playing VR but it's like you're watching them "in" the game. I am not sure why/when the term started becoming interchangeable with "virtual."

Back