This is getting rather Roo'd

To counteract the roos and keep the pressure on Kendrak I brought a new 8800GT online last night. It's not much when were down 239kppd but every little bit helps. I'm starting to run out of outlets on wall!

The power bill is a bit crazy but just for the rest of the summer. Then it will back way off (no AC) and the boxen will help witht the heating bill.

To counteract the roos and keep the pressure on Kendrak I brought a new 8800GT online last night. It's not much when were down 239kppd but every little bit helps. I'm starting to run out of outlets on wall!

Nice! It looks like Kendrak got so concerned he had to take a little vacation! ;)

Well, my ramp-up was just put on delay. Gonna have to settle for the Q6600 for the time being. Car died this afternoon.

Nice! It looks like Kendrak got so concerned he had to take a little vacation! ;)

I have to ramp up when he is away from is boxen and can't add anymore ppd :)

I bet he has infiltrated the hotel computer system and started a borg army for the [H]. ;)

I have to ramp up when he is away from is boxen and can't add anymore ppd :)

I bet he has infiltrated the hotel computer system and started a borg army for the [H]. ;)

We have a beach house. less than 100 yards away from the beach. Sadly no boxen here to borg.

I'm posting this from my smart phone. :)

Well, my ramp-up was just put on delay. Gonna have to settle for the Q6600 for the time being. Car died this afternoon.

I feel your pain. Car trouble has been the story of my summer. :confused:

Speaking of ways to ramp up all of #33's production, I'll throw a hat tip to the main man Kyle for the FPP tonight.

I keep coming back to the idea of a [H]orde's-only race to try and spur some more production. I know that would tend to only spur growth amongst those already WTFing... but surely there's a way to get some who haven't folded before to join up.

*lightbulb*

I know we have the community boxen program, which is fantastic. Maybe a community boxen give-away contest for the most WUs during a newbie race? i.e., first-timers who join up for the race... race against each other, and the recruit with the most pernts/WUs during the race wins the boxen?

More ideas, or additions to that one?

Speaking on behalf of low number folding n00bs: May I say it is slightly daunting to see Flecom, Tigerbitten, Sunin, etc... cranking out HUGE numbers. My wife and kids are gone for summer and I've lit up everything that can fold here, including the kid's PS3. Sure every little bit helps, and the few weeks I've been folding have helped slow the onslaught from down under, but it's a moment of opportunity.

One of my motivations was related to responding to Sunin's request for a hosting site. I have one of his boxen collecting frost in the server room, becasue I can. I thank Sunin for the motivation and kind conversation we had, but I also envy his (and otheres) ability to do as I would like to do, but can't, because of my situation. When the wife and kids return next month, my PPD will drop drasticaly as most of the boxens will be turned off (damn it, I taught the kids too well to turn off the computers/PS3 when not using them - DOH). Evne though they be home and most of my farm offline - Sunin's will continue to exercise the AC in the server room.

Rewarding people is a nice manner to "thank and reward" them, but there are so many people that should be rewarded, I fear it would be nearly imposible to approprately thank/reward everyone for their effort. Big numbers are great, but masses of small numbers help as well. Everyones effort helps the [H]orde, and Stanford, in some manner.

I think season is the greatest threat for the [H]orde. Like mentioned prior, it's their winter and slightly cooler than normal. (Strangely enough, my parent company is from the land down under so I hear of their weather in detail.)

To all that contribute, regardless of volume and consistentcy, I thank you for helping.
To the "big guys" with farms that heat their homes, my hat is off to you serious contributors.
To the sometime folder - your effort is just as valued as the others. Who knows, you could be folding 'the' protein that becomes a key to unlocking a cure.

Fold on.....

Did I miss it, or have we actively recruited on the OC and GPU sub-forums yet, heck maybe even the multi-proc sub? There are tons of spare cycles going to waste out there I'm sure.

And of course, once we get people to join we need to find a way to make them stay... Our active-to-inactive numbers just suck. At 1448 (just lost 19 more apparently) to 11,644... that's what, 12%?

Did I miss it, or have we actively recruited on the OC and GPU sub-forums yet, heck maybe even the multi-proc sub? There are tons of spare cycles going to waste out there I'm sure.

And of course, once we get people to join we need to find a way to make them stay... Our active-to-inactive numbers just suck. At 1448 (just lost 19 more apparently) to 11,644... that's what, 12%?

We were all over the forum during the Chimp Challenge. In fact I gave metallicafan a nomination for DCer of the month that month for all the effort he put into that effort. It might be a good idea to have a go at it again, but I'm also worried that if we're around the forum recruiting too much, it might have a negative effect on people joining the fold.

Kyle 's FPP about GPU folding was my re-introduction to folding. Can't speak about OC forum, but seem many threads for GPU folding.

Yeah, it was the (almost too late) chimp recruiting that got me back into folding... That was what 3 months ago? Surely that's enough time for a friendly reminder.

I was planning on getting a PS3 anyway, so it may or may not be conveniently folding for the [H]orde :D

I try to drop a word every now and then recruiting members into the distributed computing sub forum, but I try to make my post a bit more than just a sales pitch. I think everyone should do that now and again really. If people are chatting about how cool their 3 new GTX 280s are, mention they can fold with them when they are not playing Crysis and the like. Some might come by, in hopes of getting a bit more for their investment, others may not.

It also helps to give them a link sometimes because people are a bit lazy. Really point them to the DC sub forum.

I was planning on getting a PS3 anyway, so it may or may not be conveniently folding for the [H]orde :D

Well, it is 900-1000 PPD when they can keep the server going. Which at the present they can't, even though they said all is well while I'm still stuck in a trying to download work loop. :rolleyes:

Your recruiting wave worked, I have joined the [H]orde! Now I just need to get my GPU & SMP client set up, and I should be able to give you another drop in the bucket. However few PPD my 8800GT & E8400 can push should help at least a bit!

Probably good for 5-7k PPD that is nothing to sneeze at!

Depending on OC's

Awesome, thanks for coming on board Waffletron! Let's show OCAU how folding is truly done.

Your recruiting wave worked, I have joined the [H]orde! Now I just need to get my GPU & SMP client set up, and I should be able to give you another drop in the bucket. However few PPD my 8800GT & E8400 can push should help at least a bit!

Waffletron don't hesitate to start your own thread with questions about maximizing your points and output. The [H]orde is always more than willing to lend a hand and help some more people gain some experience.

Welcome!

My [email protected] pushed around 2k with a single Windoze SMP. It's currently pushing around 1.6k at stock. Haven't put the 8800gt in it yet (I know, bad folder - no cookie), but I am curious to see if it can handle the GPU2 and SMP on a dual core.

K, started a thread in Gen May. Hopefully will get some people interested.

As promised, pulled the gun on a new EVGA 9800GT card for 139$AR (this week NCIX sale is a bit craptastic so I ate the extra bucks to get this one). It's the same as a 8800GT, just rebranded and if something much better and not much more expensive come along within 90 days, I'll step-up ;)

Should add about 4500 ppd in the mix.

My [email protected] pushed around 2k with a single Windoze SMP. It's currently pushing around 1.6k at stock. Haven't put the 8800gt in it yet (I know, bad folder - no cookie), but I am curious to see if it can handle the GPU2 and SMP on a dual core.

If you're running Vista 64 (maybe even Vista32 I'm not sure about the 32bit version) it will handle GPU2 and the SMP ok. If you're on XP you're better off with the GPU client and 1 standard console client. In XP the GPU client pretty much needs a dedicated CPU core per GPU. On the 8800GT it should net 4500-5000ppd for GPU and 150-250ppd for the console client.

Now get that GPU folding and line up for your cookie.... ;)

Luck!

I'm on Vista 64, does this mean that I should install the SMP and run it at the same time as the GPU2? Because of concerns of starving the GPU2, i was considering just getting the normal client.

I'm on Vista 64, does this mean that I should install the SMP and run it at the same time as the GPU2? Because of concerns of starving the GPU2, i was considering just getting the normal client.
There's no concerns of starving the GPU, especially with a recent processor and nVidia on Vista. If you have a dual-core or better, run the SMP client. If you have a single core or slow dual core, run the console client along side the GPU client.

Actually, I've been sucessful with 2xSMP and 1xGPU on Vista x86 and Vista x64 with Q6600s
I've also had success with 1xSMP and 1xGPU in XP on a Quad.

YMMV of course, and nothing is guaranteed to run on the new 6.22 client yet. So far I have 100% EUEs if set to 100% CPU usage with 6.22 so I'm going back to 5.91 until 6.22 is fixed.

You should be fine with SMP and 1 GPU client on Vista-64. I believe several people here are running 2x GPU clients (sharing a core in Vista-64) and the SMP. I'm sure they'll chime in if you need help. You can ALWAYS back down the the standard client if SMP doesn't work for you while you get any issues figured out. Keep your eye on the this thread for how to install the new SMP/console client and the issues that are going on with it right now.

Help is available if you run into issues, but be mindful it's beta code so there are a few wrinkles especially this week it seems.

YMMV but I actually run 1x smp and 1x gpu (8600gt) on my e6300@3255 under XP. I lose maybe 100ppd according to FahMon on the smp depending on wu. The smp is set to idle and the gpu is set to slightly higher.

Just ordered a 9800GT from the Egg for $159.00 with a $20 MIR to go in my Media center along with the 8800GTX. Hopefully I can get the multi GPU stuff sorted out cuz I've got another 280GTX coming also (for SLI on the gaming rig)

If everything works out i'll have
2 ea 280GTX
1 ea 8800GTX
1 ea 8800GTS
1 ea 9800GT.

I need to play around with the SMP clients also cuz I'm currently running the console versions due to some earlier problems. Should be good for some serious PPD. Now, if only I was home to restart the Media center...1 more week!

Just ordered a 9800GT from the Egg for $159.00 with a $20 MIR to go in my Media center along with the 8800GTX. Hopefully I can get the multi GPU stuff sorted out cuz I've got another 280GTX coming also (for SLI on the gaming rig)

If everything works out i'll have
2 ea 280GTX
1 ea 8800GTX
1 ea 8800GTS
1 ea 9800GT.

I need to play around with the SMP clients also cuz I'm currently running the console versions due to some earlier problems. Should be good for some serious PPD. Now, if only I was home to restart the Media center...1 more week!

DAMN! You [H]Mowed me... then I returned the favor... ;) now I'm getting a sick feeling in my stomach... ;)

That's gonna make for an awesome setup. Bring it ON(line). Sucks to be away from home for a week(s) at a time. On a bright note, I didn't see any hurricanes blowing your way! Stay safe out there!

Cheers.

Updated the first post and corrected the duplicate date (sheesh I can't believe no one busted 'em for me for that... ;)) and updated and properly aligned the days with the point declines. Sorry for the goof!

Yesterday (7/31) was a nice turn around day for us and was the best positive trend we've had in the past 9. Yeah we're still losing ground. But we're trending upward. And we're the [H]orde! We won't go down quietly OR without a FIGHT. AND we ain't giving the damn duck back!!!!! :D

Way to step up ALL! Thanks to everyone for the support! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and join the team to all our new members and WELCOME! Good luck and start a thread if you need help. That's part of being a TEAM.

It's been said previously, but thanks Kyle for the extra push and FPP! You ROCK dude!

Fold [H]ard. Fold Often. Fold ON!

Well I've been waiting for a chunk of money that is 6 months late, but should be here tomorrow. So over the next two weeks I'll be ramping up. I replaced my 15A breaker with a 20A one so I can put more boxen in my office without burning the house down. So heat be damned (its over 100F here in Texas) I'm going to ramp up right in the middle of summer. That'll show those Roo's :D

I agree, it's not just the top 20 that get it done. They're just the best of the best so to speak.

Heh, I wouldn't consider myself the best of the best by any means even though I managed to claw my way back into the top 20. Hell, just a couple months ago I was almost in the top 10 until the GPU client came out and temporarily lost one of my Q6600s.

Just something for everyone to remember. We're actually doing damn good at the moment. It is summer for most [H] Folders and winter for the aussies. Historically, this always meant that during north hemisphere summer the aussies would take the lead and in south hemisphere summer the [H]orde would take the lead. Last year we laid the smack down on the aussies and kept the lead even during the summer and we're going to do the same this summer. Sure, we aren't outproducing them right now, but that will change.

Back