This Explains why Rage Sucks on the PC?

A good example of why consoles are hurting the PC market? :confused:

If this is the future of PC gaming, I don't see much point in being a high end (or moderately high end...) PC enthusiast anymore if this is the kind of games we can expect. I'm considering going outside...:eek:

1280479359165_f.jpg

It's a sad day if this is what we expect from PC games!!! All my nephews who own PS2 still love playing games on my 30 inch monitor.

Yes, because telling your readers to leave the site helps your bottom line.

Get over it. You sound like a girl who just got her heart broken at the prom. Yes, this is me telling you that you whine to much.

lol Ewog, It's ok, he is upset that $60 is outta his pocket, which I could agree if that happened to me. I like kyle, I like how he tells it how it is and such, but eh oh well, Hey kyle! lol

Get over it. You sound like a girl who just got her heart broken at the prom. Yes, this is me telling you that you whine to much.

Its obvious you don't "get" it. Kyle doesn't pander to his advertisers , he also doesn't censor himself when he feels something needs to be said.

The only "getting" over that needs to be done are by fools like you who seem to insist that he shouldn't talk about it when its his site. He obviously doesn't give a shit if you come to this site or not , Kyle has always been strongly opinionated since ..forever.

If you don't want to read it , ADVERT your eyes or don't bother coming back. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion , why are you even posting?

...past your bed time?

Mobile gaming is the future, as is cloud computing. In the near future having a home PC will be the thing of the past. You'll have a terminal, and/or a handheld terminal.

How will latency issues be resolved with terminal computing?

Its obvious you don't "get" it. Kyle doesn't pander to his advertisers , he also doesn't censor himself when he feels something needs to be said.

The only "getting" over that needs to be done are by fools like you who seem to insist that he shouldn't talk about it when its his site. He obviously doesn't give a shit if you come to this site or not , Kyle has always been strongly opinionated since ..forever.

If you don't want to read it , ADVERT your eyes or don't bother coming back. If you don't have anything to add to the discussion , why are you even posting?

The reason he still posts is probably because he likes crappy games.

Well, I guess if you really were that worried about it you would LEAVE. But you have not, so suck it up buttercup, because your opinion about my opinion means nothing to me.

Is Rage playable on a PC or not ? Did the Amd/Ati patch work for U ? If this game isn't playable, or has screwed up graphics. Can someone tell me how the f*** it got a 7.0 rating from most game reviewers ? (when Duke Nukem only got a 4.5 & I could play the crap out of it & it looked fine to me) Wanted to buy rage now I'm glad I saved $60.

Is Rage playable on a PC or not ? Did the Amd/Ati patch work for U ? If this game isn't playable, or has screwed up graphics. Can someone tell me how the f*** it got a 7.0 rating from most game reviewers ? (when Duke Nukem only got a 4.5 & I could play the crap out of it & it looked fine to me) Wanted to buy rage now I'm glad I saved $60.

I've still got a Packard Bell P60 in my basement. Should run Rage like oil on glass. :eek:

Untill consolitis becomes less prevalent, the gentleman you quoted is actually correct. If you want a distinguishable difference between consoles and a decent PC, it will only exist as far as graphics and keyboard/mouse control allow, and that's just if the developers decide to care enough to implement upgrades in the graphics area and ensure adequate keyboard/mouse support.

In BF3 beta, I heard that they can't even do key bindings without spawning, which is just stupid.

If you want a DEFINITE PC experience, then the correct course of action on the parts of ALL PC gamers would be to keep their wallets shut from developers who release half assed console ports, and only open them for games that come from PC centric developers.

All I can do is say stuff like that, but it's really like talking to a wall, judging by how all too eager people are willing to vote with their wallets for this direction in PC gaming which is sending it on the downward spiral.

I find it ridiculous on many levels that we've reached this point, given how advanced our technology is now on the PC platform compared to consoles. We should be getting games that absolutely blow the doors off any experience the consoles could provide and take full advantage of our high end PC's.

But that's not the case, so if someone is looking for somebody to blame, they should examine the buying habits of their friends (who they have potential to influence), and themselves.

Remember, when it comes to the direction of gaming, whether it's console or PC, the cash registers and virtual checkouts are the voting booth of our generation of gamers.

U r right, we're [H] & try to be 1st adopters, buying the latest greatest hardware we can afford to run the balls off software. Then some SOB releases a pile of stink, like rage, that doesn't even run correctly. I think they had to know it wasn't going to work before the release, but did it anyway just to screw U out of ur cash. Best part is the ratings guys pumping it up to further this fraud. That really pisses me off because I count on them to give unbiased reviews to help us save our cash from con men like this.

Let me translate what Carmack is saying:

"There will be no patch to fix the texture issues. Suck on it. What do you expect from a console port?"

Were it about Kyle not liking Rage that would be one thing, that can be done in one maybe two posts if there was a follow up. Really the daily Rage hate he has posted reads more like he is still butt hurt with John and ID over Quakecon. Really if you want to make a dent Kyle, write a review and not an endless stream of OMmGzzz tehis game suxors!!!!!!11!! Until then it is pointless.

Surprised that he cares. Didn't he say a short while ago that mobile gaming is the future? He'll go where the money is.

As a PC gamer this irritates me to no end. However iD is ultimately a business and businesses go where the money is. You can't begrudge him making decisions that focus on making money. That being said you CAN be IRL capital m Mad at iD for releasing a game with this many problems. Its working mostly OK for me except I get a crash on level load half the time. But I had to try several different drivers and trawl various forums for obscure target launch commands and such to get it in a mostly working state.

Kyle needs to stop posting his game opinions on the front page. We whines to much.

The guy is an ass, he even emailed me to say so once. Hence, I respect his right to post his opinions on his site. It's always been the case with [H]

Can we let it go? This many posts were never made when DNF came out as a steaming pile. ou almost need a remove Rage hate from Hardocp front page like you do a remove apple post at engadget everytime something apple pops up.

Possibly because after 10 years of vapor ware we all knew exactly how bad DNF would be.

Remember, when it comes to the direction of gaming, whether it's console or PC, the cash registers and virtual checkouts are the voting booth of our generation of gamers.

That'll do nothing. If pc gamers are only 25% of the market, then management doesn't care. If we stop buying, that just means that margin gets slimmer, then they won't even bother making PC titles.

But go ahead, boycott it. I play on the PC because I enjoy MMOs, and strat games - I can take or leave shooters.

That'll do nothing. If pc gamers are only 25% of the market, then management doesn't care. If we stop buying, that just means that margin gets slimmer, then they won't even bother making PC titles.

But go ahead, boycott it. I play on the PC because I enjoy MMOs, and strat games - I can take or leave shooters.

Apparently you don't understand how capitalism works.

If they decide to stop making PC games, then other companies will step up and attempt to fill the void. Those companies will do their focus groups and whatnot, and attempt to learn why PC gamers stopped buying "PC gamers".

Once "consolitis" becomes the inevitable response, then those companies will make PC centric games and PC gaming will be whole once more.

PC gaming won't die, but it can certainly live on just fine without Activision, EA, or Blizzard.

My opinion is that I expected a bit more from John Carmack, but the game is quite enjoyable and decent. But I think that this site has lost some objectivity as opinions should be kept as opinions in a corner of the site with some sort of disclaimer, or as an editorial, AFAIK this site is about news, hardware reviews etc which is one of the best sites in the web. But oh well, we are all entitled to our opinions, as they're all subjectives.

In other news...

America still engaged in 5 wars bleeding the economy dry, protestors continue to swell on Occupy Wall Street, and Republicans and Democrats still hate thei....... oh wait, this is a tech site.

What follows is my personal opinion. The ball was majorly dropped on this one. Carmack is a smart guy, he's been in the gaming industry since the beginning, heck, he CREATED the PC gaming industry, and community. There is no way he didn't know Moore's law and the fact of computers far outpacing consoles. Being that he use to be PC first, it seems there was a shift, and the focus turned to Console first. This is rather depressing, and a big disappointment, him of all people should understand the PC gaming community, and it really sucks that he's sold out to consoles and moved away from the PC focus that made id what it is, or was.

I'm disappointed in the decisions made. They had a huge opportunity to show what a PC game can do, they wanted a new IP, ok, they had so much potential to really shake up PC gaming in a positive way, to prove to us that OpenGL is still competitive to D3D for gaming. I don't buy that they didn't see PC's outpacing consoles, it is common knowledge. They blatantly focused on the consoles with this game, and the PC was an afterthought. And then they charge PC gamers $60 for this afterthought. This is not the id I use to know.

My opinions.

I like how he talks about his desire to program to the metal instead of having the API eat up so much performance.

If there were some standard part or architecture that AMD and Nv could agree to, which would handle the most demanding functions of an engine, we could have some amazing games.

They could still have their individual frills, but having even a tiny portion of the hardware be identical would be really nice for the programmers. They could skip the API for very specialized tasks and the rest of the silicon could stay free to do whatever extra stuff the card makers want to throw in.

PCs were never the largest gaming platform and possibly they never will be. So I never get why developers make these stupid comments. You got your start on PCs because you had no option on consoles. And the same will always be true for start ups IMO. The problem is that you forgot where you came from you just left it behind. And everytime a company does this their developers come out and say OH sorry we will make it up to you I swear just drop $60 on our next game. But it is all empty promises it is just a silly PR move to shut you up and the vast majority of people will go buy that next game. If for no other reason they need something to bitch about.

Also someone said in the future we will all be using thin clients and have cloud services. Well that person has no idea. The whole reason we game on the PC is because 30 fps and lag with limited servers is not good enough for us. That aint going away, PC gaming will always be smaller than some big service with a loss leader model that screws you over the long run. But we have reasons for being here and they are not going to dissapear. And there will always be indy developers, rising stars that get their start on the PC. IMO all this cross platform stuff is not the end of the world. It is just no on a PC you get to play most titles you want to even if they are console ports. But you will also get lots of new games that are cool and will not be on consoles at least not for a couple years when the big publishers see the success and want to bring it to the mass markets.

Carmack pissed about RAGE issues, but admits id doesn’t see PC as “leading” game platform
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/08/c...ts-id-doesnt-see-pc-as-leading-game-platform/

id isn't getting any of my business now or in there future.
I can't can give shit about what Carmack thinks anymore.

id is not what they use to be, they began on the PC platform, they made PC gaming what it is, they made the PC gaming community what it is, they made awesome PC games, utilizing the features of a computer, which do exceed any console system, to move away from their roots, is a bad idea, in my opinion, if they would put their weight behind the PC as a gaming platform it would be even more awesome, but instead, they have sold out, in my opinion, the focus has changed, id is no longer a PC gaming company, they are a console gaming company in my eyes, from this point forward, unless they can prove to me their focus has changed back, i am highly dissapointed in this trend, my opinion

I like how he talks about his desire to program to the metal instead of having the API eat up so much performance.

If there were some standard part or architecture that AMD and Nv could agree to, which would handle the most demanding functions of an engine, we could have some amazing games.

They could still have their individual frills, but having even a tiny portion of the hardware be identical would be really nice for the programmers. They could skip the API for very specialized tasks and the rest of the silicon could stay free to do whatever extra stuff the card makers want to throw in.

AMD does allow developers to write to the metal, I don't know specifics, but I heard that at a briefing once, this is so that developers could write code to the GPU for things like physics. I don't have any info about this, just remember hearing about it a while ago and know that it is possible.

Regardless, even with an API, there are standards, in both OpenGL or D3D. I don't see the API being an excuse for other developers to not develop on the PC.

And BTW I did not buy rage, and after all this I wont even pick it up in the bargain bin. Fact is id hasnt made a good game in a long time and perhaps they never will. Carmac was always a sort of hard headed guy, he stuck to open GL honestly I think he hates microsoft. And for him all these other platforms give him a woody. Finally after all these years he feels vindicated in resisting directx. What he does well is experiments with the under the hood shit in games. But he doesnt make good games anymore and has not since Q3A, and even then it seems like he was all out of quarters since that was just sort of the final polishing of the quake series. Doom, same old same old. Every game that comes out of that camp just seems like the same thing hashed out in many variations.

So wait till someone else gets ahold of the engine they might do something interesting with it.

Back