This Explains why Rage Sucks on the PC?

Why are you just posting this now? Both of those quotes are from friggin June... This is old news.. Kyle must be pretty damn upset at this game.. it's all he seems to be focusing on here.

...A lot of people enjoy the game, it's a very fun game and are not having any issues.

No it is effecting pretty much every single PC user, as evidenced by massive backlash on every single PC gamer forum on the net, plus the amount of work iD, Nvidia, and AMD are doing to get the game working correctly, as well as the amount of PR stop gaps iD is also doing. Honestly, no one I know of in real life, on this forum, on AT, and a couple other forums have anything positive to say about the gameplay, graphics, and bugs currently plaguing the game...well at least until the most recent patches came out.

But it is your site, so you can do as you please.;)

And hence he does.

The annoying thing is that Carmack keeps going on about the fact that programmers can get closer to the metal on console than pc and so you don't see the performance gains you'd expect.
But wait a minute.....that sort of implies he has pushed the game as far as he can on the pc and can't get any better because of the various API's......well if that is the case why am I having to use special config files to force high texture usage?......why does RAGE not make use of multi gpu set ups?.....why do I have to use config files to force RAGE to use my hard drive to texture cache.....why has gpu transcode been removed or disabled in the latest patch.

Put this together with the terrible graphical glitches and it shouts that rather tnah the pc being pushed to its api bound limits limits as implied by Carmack on the contrary it has been given scant consideration and virtually no QA testing.

One of the best parts of the interview is when the guy asked Carmack, "what should customers look for, what's the part of the game that you're most proud of?" To which Carmack responds with "I'm so happy we got it to run at 60fps!" :D

No it is effecting pretty much every single PC user, as evidenced by massive backlash on every single PC gamer forum on the net, plus the amount of work iD, Nvidia, and AMD are doing to get the game working correctly, as well as the amount of PR stop gaps iD is also doing. Honestly, no one I know of in real life, on this forum, on AT, and a couple other forums have anything positive to say about the gameplay, graphics, and bugs currently plaguing the game...well at least until the most recent patches came out.

Runs fine on my GTX 470 and the game is great. That's just me of course, but my statement still stands, it is irreverent whether or not you hate it, it's how you voice it that matters. It he has not constructively voiced his concerns.

The main thing about this news article is that it's all irrelavent now. Carmack has since flopped sides on the issue and said something like "We don't see PC gaming as the leading platform." So, basically, everything that he said in this article is hogwash.

I personally never had that texture popping issue so I didn't start out with such a negative impression at least. The textures are horrible but the gameplay overall gets me past that. I am enjoying it overall and I really get a kick out of the driving around. The (driving) areas are a bit small but I suppose that is due to the console development base.

Kyle, I am curious about something. You've told people three times this year not to buy specific games - Crysis 2, Duke Nukem Forever, and now Rage. I don't remember you posting front page boycotts of actual video games before 2011. I may be mistaken, but I think I remember someone of the [H] staff, either Steve or yourself, not being fond of boycotts and saying that they do not work. If that is so, why the drastic change of tone this year? This is a marked departure from how the [H] has operated in years past.

He's not urging a boycott....just giving people his honest opinion.....thank god there are some straight people who tell it the way it is rather than these paid for whore's of review sites.

I know nothing about programming, but if someone writes a game on a PC and plans to have it released on that platform, why not go balls out on it for PC and then downscale whatever is needed for a console to run it properly?

+1000

I have no idea why everyone doesn't do this.
I can't believe Id is guilty of this as well, it's total bullshit.

Here's to hoping they don't do this bullshit with DOOM 4. :(

Back