Thinking about trying Manjaro

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Got a couple of questions.

1. How hard / time consuming is it to get it installed and properly configured?

2. Will it do everything Ubuntu and it's variants will?

3. Any HW compatibility issues?

OK, that was 3 questions, sorry.

TIA :)

It take no more time to install and configure than any other distro that I've used. It may even be a bit faster because the option is built in to install the closed source video drivers if you're using nVidia so there's no need to install and configure a separate repo or anything for that.

I've never really used Ubuntu or derivatives because I don't care for Debian based distros but I doubt there is going to be much, if any difference in capability. If the standard repos don't have what you're looking for there's a very good chance you can install it from the AUR. Also, Arch/Manjaro is probably one of the best documented distros out there if you run into any sort of problem.

I doubt you're going to run into any hardware incompatibilities that you also wouldn't run into with other distros and maybe even fewer since it's a stable rolling release distro. Manjaro is likely to have fewer issues with newer hardware as new hardware comes out since it is rolling release. It is easy enough to check hardware incompatibilities by booting the live version off a USB stick (which is the same way you'd install it) and checking your hardware.

I've been using Manjaro as my exclusive daily driver for more than a year and I have no complaints and ran a dual boot of it and Windows for at least a couple of years before that. I also moved my server from openSUSE (which I had used for around 12-13 years) to Manjaro and haven't had any issues there either.

It take no more time to install and configure than any other distro that I've used. It may even be a bit faster because the option is built in to install the closed source video drivers if you're using nVidia so there's no need to install and configure a separate repo or anything for that.

I've never really used Ubuntu or derivatives because I don't care for Debian based distros but I doubt there is going to be much, if any difference in capability. If the standard repos don't have what you're looking for there's a very good chance you can install it from the AUR. Also, Arch/Manjaro is probably one of the best documented distros out there if you run into any sort of problem.

I doubt you're going to run into any hardware incompatibilities that you also wouldn't run into with other distros and maybe even fewer since it's a stable rolling release distro. Manjaro is likely to have fewer issues with newer hardware as new hardware comes out since it is rolling release. It is easy enough to check hardware incompatibilities by booting the live version off a USB stick (which is the same way you'd install it) and checking your hardware.

I've been using Manjaro as my exclusive daily driver for more than a year and I have no complaints and ran a dual boot of it and Windows for at least a couple of years before that. I also moved my server from openSUSE (which I had used for around 12-13 years) to Manjaro and haven't had any issues there either.

Thank you sir. One more question, are you using a GUI with your server?

Thank you sir. One more question, are you using a GUI with your server?
Yes, my server is my backup system in case something happens to my main system. Having the server with a GUI has saved me a good bit of trouble over the years.

Manjaro is likely to have fewer issues with newer hardware as new hardware comes out since it is rolling release. It is easy enough to check hardware incompatibilities by booting the live version off a USB stick (which is the same way you'd install it) and checking your hardware.
Caveat, sometimes the live (install) media is a bit outdated compared to what's in the repo, so hardware that is unsupported in the image is actually supported after install (because it fetches the latest packages for installation). It has happened, although I can't name any specific occurances off hand.

Think Manjaro's latest release media is only a month and half old. Latest drivers shouldn't be a problem, but live media can be a bit outdated in some cases for sure.

1) Shouldn't be any harder to install and configure than any other major distro. It might be easier if you wrestled with Nvidia or kernel updates with other distros.
2) As far as I can think, yep.
3) Shouldn't be any more than any other distro, if not less than others.

Boot up a live USB and give it a whirl! I used it for a few years with no problems.

Well hell, me and Manjaro are off to a bad start. I loaded it on a box that runs Mint flawlessly but not Manjaro.

It took way longer to boot the DVD than I think it should but it finally did arrive at the desktop. Then it took way long than I think it should to install. After the install it went to reboot and it ended up at a screen with unintelligible alien gibberish. I waited way long than I should but in spite of it continuously dinging the DVD drive it never changed so I forced a reboot and now all I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. :(

That's a shame. I hope it doesn't discourage you though. I have two systems running Manjaro and they have been solid. One is listed in my sig and the other is a B450, 2400G and RX 480 box. Easy to set up, I prepped a USB stick, booted and installed.
Let us know if you continue to have issues. I think you'd like it if the issue can be found and resolved.

OK, I reinstalled but this time I chose to shutdown instead of restart and starting from a cold boot got me to the desktop. I updating at present. Hopefully all it well. Thanks for the help. :)

In my limited experience with Linux (my laptop's run it, as does my windows tablet), arch support is leaps and bounds over debian.

So how do you guys manage software in Manjaro. I need to install Angry IP Scanner but there doesn't seem to be a Manjaro option. :(

So how do you guys manage software in Manjaro. I need to install Angry IP Scanner but there doesn't seem to be a Manjaro option. :(
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ipscan

Might be ipscan in the community repo too.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman

Edit: Ah, yes, it is in community: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/packages?filter=ipscan

So you can just install it with manjaro's package manager (pacman?).

Last edited:
Looks like Manjaro isn't going to work for me. I can't even find instructions on how to install Angry ip Scanner. What I have found is tons and tons of alien gibberish. Apparently Manjaro requires it's own set of secrets in order to use it and those secrets aren't anywhere to be found.

As for pacman, I get "package not found". And in addition, the web page where I found the syntax says it easy to install with this command and the it proceeds to list several other commands below this one and doesn't give a clue as to what they are for. Also https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ipscan is clear as mud. I don't even know where to begin understanding it. :(

Looks like Manjaro isn't going to work for me. I can't even find instructions on how to install Angry ip Scanner. What I have found is tons and tons of alien gibberish. Apparently Manjaro requires it's own set of secrets in order to use it and those secrets aren't anywhere to be found.

As for pacman, I get "package not found". And in addition, the web page where I found the syntax says it easy to install with this command and the it proceeds to list several other commands below this one and doesn't give a clue as to what they are for. Also https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ipscan is clear as mud. I don't even know where to begin understanding it. :(
If I was looking for Manjaro specific information, I would look for Arch boards.

ipscan is in the AUR. Simply fire up the package manager, enable the AUR in settings and you should be good to go.

Keep in mind that when you enable the AUR, some packages will be shown with multiple options. Personally I always choose the Manjaro packages and only use packages from the AUR when the Manjaro package doesn't exist. At times, packages will be added to the regular Manjaro repos and when I see that has happened I'll remove the AUR package and install the Manjaro package. So far I've only done that once with the Brave browser. When I originally went to install it it was only located in the AUR but later on it was added to the regular Manjaro repo.

So, for pacman, you'll want to check /etc/pacman.conf to ensure the community repo exists and is not commented (#) out. Then run `pacman -Syu ipscan` (S=sync, y=refresh repos, u=upgrade). S is the only necessary flag to install something, but you should always refresh and upgrade, or packages may be outdated or missing dependencies.

AUR is the user repository. Most packages there must be built from source, and you'll need the metapackage which pull in the most commonly used build tools (forget the name...). The simplest packages you just need to download the archive from their AUR page ("download snapshot"), extract it and enter the directory, then run `makepkg` (with some flags, I usually do `makepkg -cris`, which installs deps automatically, builds and makes the pkg, does cleanup, and attempts to install the pkg).

makepkg must be not be run as root. Also, it might not be makepkg -- I always get that command wrong... But not today! :p

Last edited:
So, for pacman, you'll want to check /etc/pacman.conf to ensure the community repo exists and is not commented (#) out. Then run `pacman -Syu ipscan` (S=sync, y=refresh repos, u=upgrade). S is the only necessary flag to install something, but you should always refresh and upgrade, or packages may be outdated or missing dependencies.

AUR is the user repository. Most packages there must be built from source, and you'll need the metapackage which pull in the most commonly used build tools (forget the name...). The simplest packages you just need to download the archive from their AUR page ("download snapshot"), extract it and enter the directory, then run `makepkg` (with some flags, I usually do `makepkg -cris`, which installs deps automatically, builds and makes the pkg, does cleanup, and attempts to install the pkg).

makepkg must be not be run as root. Also, it might not be makepkg -- I always get that command wrong... But not today! :p
So much good information here! Thanks a lot!

On top of that an easy way to handle stuff from the AUR is installing a AUR helper like Paru.
https://itsfoss.com/paru-aur-helper/

paru makes it easy to install stuff from the AUR

paru ipscan

done. Paru takes care of dependencies anything else you need on it's own.

Thanks guys. Got it installed but it doesn't work. Cursor spins for a few seconds and then nothing. :dead:

I'm making the package. Looks like this is gonna take awhile.

Screenshot from 2022-05-30 09-51-23.png

:dead:

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I thought I did. Is that what fakeroot is all about?
At the very bottom it says you didn't put your password. Likely you just initiated the install and didn't pay attention. When it asks for the password for your account, add it in.

Hmmmm, I thought I did. Is that what fakeroot is all about?
Nah, fakeroot doesn't give root privelidges, just allows making and manipulating files owned by root (without being root). This is used in package management to create archives with files which need to be owned by root and installed in root owned folders.

Makepkg is asking for your password after finishing the package build in order to install the built package (or before the build to install dependencies). The package manager (pacman) needs these privelidges to unpack the archive in the correct directories.

Think I've gone off into la la land. How do I delete the package I have built and start over? I'm now getting into a situation where it steps through the build and in the end does nothing.

Think I've gone off into la la land. How do I delete the package I have built and start over? I'm now getting into a situation where it steps through the build and in the end does nothing.
Should be a .pkg.xz or something like that in the directory. Use rm to remove that file. You could alternatively install it directly with `pacman -U`. If it complains about missing deps you'll have to install them first with `pacman -S`.

paru -Sua

That should force an upgrade of all AUR packages with rebuilds.

Back