Votes: 74 40.0%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 32 17.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
I already have a Xbox360 and I am thinking about getting a PS3 now. Xbox360 owners that have PS3, please rate your experiences of the PS3 based on your experiences with the Xbox360. All PS3 owners, please give a little review of your experiences with the console.

Only question you should be asking or listening to is:

Do I like the games that are now released and will be released in the future, and do I want to spend X price to play them?

That will tell you whether you want to buy any console.

If you've already got a 360, the only possible reason I could see to go for a PS3 would be if you really really wanted to play the exclusive titles (whichever they end up being). Even then, why not just wait until they're close to release to hopefully be able to take advantage of cheaper second-hand models or maybe lower prices?

Hell, for $600 you could build an excellent DX10 PC gaming rig..looks like you've got a good system though..

I'd say it's a waste of money. Put it away for your next upgrade, or wait until the PS3 gets some more exclusive content under its belt.

So everyone is saying wait awhile? I am thinking this as well. I would like to hear reviews from people who have both systems.

If the money is expendable, go for it...

If money is somewhat of an issue, then you might want to wait till a price drop.

Personally I'd wait if you don't absolutely need it now. I'm sure there's going to be some great games coming out in the future some time but when it comes to things like that I personally wait for price cuts / console revisions etc.

So everyone is saying wait awhile? I am thinking this as well. I would like to hear reviews from people who have both systems.

Ask yourself "why am I considering buying one?".

For the games? What games will you play on it that are out now, or will be released? If yes, buy one.

If there's nothing to play that piques your interest now, (for me, I wouldn't buy anything that didn't have multiple games I wanted) then move to the next factor:

For blu ray? If that's your thing and you have a sweet HDTV and the desire for HD movies, then is it worth it to you as a bluray player? If so, buy one.

No? Then move on to the next factor:

For...web surfing? Looks like you have a pc.

I'll buy a ps3 once it either gets enough games to make the 600 bucks worth it to me. OR, once there are a couple of games I'd like to play, and the price drops.

I built a newish pc because I wanted to play some PC games that were out of my old rig's reach. If I hadn't had anything to play or use it for, my 6 yr old pc would have been fine.

If you don't want to play games on a ps3 right now, don't buy it now. If you do, and 600 bucks is worth it to you, buy one.

I use mine mainly as a BR player at the mo (can't wait till my KD-55A20S11XTNS arrives to get the best out of that :) ), but Motorstorm, RR7 and Resistance do take a lot of my time up with online play too. All depends on your cash flow situation at the end of the day. Are Resistance, Motorstorm and BR worth the cost of admission to you personally? If not wait till there are more games of interest....

little BIG planet = $600 :D (jk... but if games like LBP are coming out this year, whats gonna come out next year :p )

I am torn, maybe I will just buy one just for the hell of it. I already have a 42" Panasonic Plasma and a Toshiba HD-DVD player so they only thing missing is a PS3. Or I could use that money and buy a small boat. Just bought a house that is next to Beaver Lake in Rogers, AR. Hmmm...so many choices.

I agree. LBP def sold the console for me :D
I'm excited about it, but haven't we learnt our lessons from the other 500 games that looked great when you first saw them but ended up being junk?

Certainly not opening my wallet til I've had a chance to actually try the game.

I had a PS3, but sold it. It didn't have any games worth playing that are not on the xbox360. I will probably re-purchase the PS3 when it has some better exclusive games released. Although, I will probably wait longer now that Sony discounted the $500 model. I have a few extra laptop hard-drives and prefer wired internet for gaming and it would have been nice to save the $100 or maybe $200 if a price drop came about.

It will have 'must-have' exclusives during its lifetime so unless you are waiting for the price to come down then there is no reason not to get one.

I bought one and have spent the majority of my PS3 time playing Okami on it. I know it is a PS2 game but that just goes to show that there are titles that will only ever show up on the Playstation platform. There will be many God of War's, Katamari Damachi's and Okami's, just as there will be many Zelda's, Mario Galaxy's, Gears of War's, Viva Pinata's, Loco Roco's and Osu Tatekae Ouendan's.

I couldn't give a flying monkey's what the CPU and GPU inside can do because at the end of the day, you buy it to play games and unless you want to miss out on some of those games, you need to buy the console.

The very thought of not having played through any one of those titles I listed makes me buy all the platforms. I would not have missed Okami for the world.

I have 360 and PS3, and love both. If you have an HDTV PS3 is fantastic, resistance and motorstorm are a blast (so is oblivion if you havent played it on another system). Blu-Ray's are spectacular as well.

The PS3 is a very nice piece of hardware, sleek and quiet too boot. So far it has alot less problems then 360, has NEVER frozen on me, no glitches whatsoever.

heres a review i wrote on another website when I picked up my PS3 in january (and its improved since then with updates) ill just copy it onto here.
On Saturday I stumbled apon a PS3 60GB at my local target and I decided to pick it up. Honestly I felt like you guys did about it but I have actually been quite impressed by it.

I have a Xbox 360 with the HDDVD add on and wireless network adaptor so both the PS3 and my 360 are capable of the same things. I'm running both systems on a 50" TV capable of 1080i.

I love my Xbox 360, Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Project Gotham Racing 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter are all really fun and graphically stunning in high definition. I didn't pick up any games with the PS3 but I have downloaded the demo's of Resistance: Fall of Man and Gran Turismo HD Concept, Resistance is actually quite impressive looking, the levels are really well done and there is no lag whatsoever, but Gears edges it out graphically, they play alot differently with resistance being a pretty traditional FPS. Gran Turismo HD on the other hand kicks the crap out of PGR3 and basically anything I've seen on Xbox 360, it is absolutely stunning and everyone who's seen it has said if they were to look quickly at it they would confuse it for real life, the graphics are so good that even my mom who doesn't have the slightest appreciation for video games said they were spectacular.

PS3's online capabilities are quite decent actually. The built in WiFi found my network immediately and works flawlessly. My only problem with it so far is the Playstation Store loads pretty slowly and downloads are much slower then from the Xbox market place.

The sixaxis controller is really light and feels flimsly, except for the R2 and L2 buttons being shaped into triggers it is no different from the previous dualshock controllers. So far lack of rumble hasn't bugged me and the motion sensing actually works quite well and is pretty neat. Like in the motorstorm demo you can drive entirely by moving the controller (my Dad loves it like this because he hates steering with analog sticks) and in Resistance if an enemy grabs you unlike in other games where you mash buttons to shake them off you shake the controller and it throws them off, it's quite cool. Overall I like the 360 controller, its perfect size great button placement it just works, though I wish it had a battery built in like the PS3 does (sixaxis comes with a USB cable to recharge off the PS3).

The PS3 came with Talladega Nights on Blu-Ray and for my 360 HD player I've got King King, Training Day, Batman begins, Apollo 13 and Happy Gilmore, I've watched Training Day and Talladega nights and they are both spectacular. The image quality is leaps and bounds better than my samsung upscaling dvd player. The 360 works well with the media remote and works just as well as any stand alone player though it can be a little slow to respond to commands. The PS3 is a MUCH better media player than the PS2 was and you can tell it was meant to be all along and that movie playback wasn't just an after thought, it works very well at playing blu-ray and dvd's though buying the remote for it would be ideal as the controllers aren't the greatest at controlling movies.

The PS3 has all the alot of the same media capabilities as the 360 (except it can't play songs bought on itunes off an ipod). One thing that bugs me with PS3 is you can't play your music off the hard drive in game like you can with the 360(Though i hear next software update will fix that). The PS3 has built in memory card readers which are cool to view pics from your camera on your tv or to transer data from PC to PS3 or vice versa. I like how the PS3 works quite well with a USB mouse and keyboard, it made signing up for PSN a snap. Another nice thing with the PS3 is it is dead silent while the 360 can get quite loud.

I haven't tried any backwards compatible games with my 360, but I did pop in Ace Combat 4 into my PS3 and unfortunately it did have worse image quality compared to PS2 as text was jaggy and there was no AA on anything, it was nice how there was NO load time what so ever though.

Right now if I had to give an edge to a console it would be the 360, it is cheaper and atm has better games. But I am extremely impressed with the PS3, the graphics are very good, gameplay is fluid, media playback and online functionality work well. Right now I wouldn't be paying a cent more than retail for it or waiting in line for it as except for Resistance there aren't any great titles. Though in the future with Gran Turismo 5, SOCOM 4, Metal Gear Solid 4 etc. I'm sure it'l l be worth having, and as for games coming out on both systems simultaneously, I'll have to look at reviews for both and make a choice between rumble or motion sensing.

I bought mine back in late December. I knew that there would be little to no games for it for awhile but I wanted the System purchase out of the way. Overall I have really enjoyed it. I really like Motorstorm & Resistance : FOM. Both great games. And FLOW..!! Really looking forward to LAIR, Heavenly Sword & Calling All Cars..... :D

I'm excited about it, but haven't we learnt our lessons from the other 500 games that looked great when you first saw them but ended up being junk?

Certainly not opening my wallet til I've had a chance to actually try the game.

Every game that sold a console for me has been great. GT3 sold me the PS2. Gears sold the 360. So I think I got a good streak going, third time is the charm.

I wish the ps3 would climb out of this shitty rutt.. If my last xbox dies im done with it.

If you think it's worth the money, just get it. PS3 isn't bad, it's just expensive for what it offers compared to Xbox360. It's not quite at that point for me yet, but there's still a good possibility that I'll buy a PS3 a year or more down the line.

If you think it's worth the money, just get it. PS3 isn't bad, it's just expensive for what it offers compared to Xbox360. It's not quite at that point for me yet, but there's still a good possibility that I'll buy a PS3 a year or more down the line.

I know this doesn't apply 100% to everyone, but for me the 360 Elite + HD-DVD add-on is more than the PS3, which includes the Blu-Ray drive. As far as games I'm interested in now and in the future, it looks like a wash, and with all the higher-than-normal reports of 360 failures I'm now leaning toward the PS3 more to go with my Wii. We will see...

If you will buy blu-ray movies then it would be worth it IMO. As for pure gaming, its not there yet.

Right now, the only game for me worth playing is Resistance. However, there are some titles I'm looking forward to in the near future, like Lair, GTA4, RE5, Heavenly Sword, etc.

Plus, it DOES play Blu-Ray movies, AND it folds.

All in all, I think it's a good system. For the price? Well, if you are going to use it for all it can do (BR, folding, and gaming), I would say...no. Why? It's still quite a chunk of change. If I were you, I would get the boat and wait until the PS3 drops in price. That way, some kinks would have been worked out, new games will be out (old ones get cheaper? I only hope), and it would be cheaper.

Verdict? Wait it out, and enjoy the great outdoors on your boat while you're at it, because the weather is simply gorgeous (at least here in the east coast, maybe it's tornado season there:p ).

Just buy it...you know you'll buy one eventually anyway :).

I have em both and I actually prefer the PS3 because of the interface, wifi, and various little things that seem improved with the 1 extra year they took to bring it out. I used to love the 360 interface but now it seems clunky and childish.

Another thing I like is the PS3 store let's you buy things for their actual cost instead of forcing you to buy more points than you need like Microsoft. I'm seriously offended by the microsoft point system because it's basically a scam. Add up all the little unused points people are forced to keep around and that's a lot of dough.

If you like fighting games, get Tekken 5, Mortal Kombat 2, Virtua Fighter 5 and the Hori Fighting Stick. The downloaded games load so fast and you can quit out of them even faster so I hop between the 3 a lot. Motor Storm is also keeping me busy. It's the most exciting racer I've played in a long time.

But like other people say, if money is an issue just stick with the 360 for now...otherwise go for the PS3 as well. And if you want to try out Blu Ray, you can't go wrong. Even if you don't plan on buying the movies, you still have a game system.

Personally id wait for a model with a bigger hard drive, or get one and slap a bigger laptop hard drive because 60gb is not enough if your going to purchasing all those dirt cheap ps store games and install the retail games. The PS3 is nice and quiet, its cable tidy (if You have a hdtv with hdmi, and your gonna use wifi) If your a movie buff its a no brainer. It plays all the ps1 classics, most of the ps2 games. Its probably the best console for casual surfing in your living room if you cant be arsed to check ebay on your pc etc. You can use linux if you want to use it as an extra pc. Granted the 360 has more games atm and the 360 has more a+ titles atm and the ps3 is a lot of money just for games. The PS3 is getting shitty ports from a few companies like ubisoft and EA for pure cash ins. Theres only about 15 really good games atm for PS3 (including some of the ps store)
You can use almost any usb/wireless keyboard and mouse for surfing (rumours of kb and mouse support on future fps games if your a die hard pc fps kb and mouse user) (also their is a rumoured new rumble pad for the ps3 if that really chaps your ass) Its good as an all in one media center for under your tv. You can use almost any bluetooth headset.

I had a PS3, but sold it. It didn't have any games worth playing that are not on the xbox360. I will probably re-purchase the PS3 when it has some better exclusive games released. Although, I will probably wait longer now that Sony discounted the $500 model. I have a few extra laptop hard-drives and prefer wired internet for gaming and it would have been nice to save the $100 or maybe $200 if a price drop came about.

sold mine also

I am in the "wait boat" situation. If I had the cash, I'd buy it right away though... but my money is better spent elsewhere for now. I'll wait and possibly january/Feb 2008 i'll buy one.

The cool thing about not needing to buy one immediately is also that you can pick up all the older games at a much better price when you eventually do pick them up.

God I love getting older and more patient!

Didn't vote....you should have added a "wait for price drop and/or more must have games" option.

Fixed for accuracy.

har har. Many of the parts below can be found for less money via MIRs, combos and such:

Processor: 3600+ X2 @ $65
Motherboard: MSI K9N4 Ultra-F @ $58
Optical: LG DVDRW @ $28
RAM: Wintec 2GB (2x1GB) @ $109
Case: Centurion 5 @ $49
Hard Disk: WD 160GB SATA 3.0 GB/s @ $52
Video Card: XFX 8600GTS @ $194
PSU: XClio 450BL @ $37
TOTAL: $592

At stock it will push a great framerate at 1280x1024 (far higher if you're talking about an older game like Quake 4 or WoW) with some AA and AF in every game out there right now. If you do a little overclocking you'll get even more performance, and at that price it's difficult to find a system with a better performance/$$ ratio in a DX10 machine. It can be done, and with some careful purchasing (taking advantage of combos and such that I'm too lazy to look for) you can bump up many of these components.

Blah blah blah

No offense, but you are taking lower end PC parts and trying to compare it to the upper end of a console. Truly if you want to play games in good res and last awhile you will spend around 400-600 on the GPU (depending on the time of which you buy release, 2 months later, etc.).

~On topic:
I would say wait a bit about picking up the PS3 as it can do many wonderful things, still have a working 360 to use should hold you over until the exclusive titles that would make you want the PS3 getting. Plus there might be a newer model or price drop by the time the games you want are out. :D

No offense, but you are taking lower end PC parts and trying to compare it to the upper end of a console. Truly if you want to play games in good res and last awhile you will spend around 400-600 on the GPU (depending on the time of which you buy release, 2 months later, etc.)

I don't want to derail this thread, so this is the last thing I'll say about it:

You don't need to spend 400-600 to get a great GPU. That machine is certainly not high-end, but rather midrange because of its excellent performance all around. If you want me to add another $1000 to the build (which I assume to be a reasonable estimate for an HDTV) and include speakers and a monitor I can easily make room for an 8800GTS/GTX/R600 along with higher spec parts. It isn't that difficult anymore, especially now that consoles like the PS3 are stumbling onto PC territory in terms of pricing.

I don't want to derail this thread, so this is the last thing I'll say about it:

You don't need to spend 400-600 to get a great GPU. That machine is certainly not high-end, but rather midrange because of its excellent performance all around. If you want me to add another $1000 to the build (which I assume to be a reasonable estimate for an HDTV) and include speakers and a monitor I can easily make room for an 8800GTS/GTX/R600 along with higher spec parts. It isn't that difficult anymore, especially now that consoles like the PS3 are stumbling onto PC territory in terms of pricing.

HDTV can be used more than just console gaming. I could say just as easily that if I wanted to experiance gaming on a 46' HDTV but using the PC platform, What would the cost be of a PC + HDTV to do gaming on, vs PS3 (or other console) + HDTV .... either way, PS3 is going to be cheaper, not as many upgrades and overal price.

If you will buy blu-ray movies then it would be worth it IMO. As for pure gaming, its not there yet.
probably the best advise for those with small pockets. love high def movies! it "may not be there yet" for gaming but that's subjective. motorstorm online is a fucking blast, other titles rock too. then, all I need is a player for HD DVD. I've read the PS3 can detect it...hopefully in time :D

edit: the debate of who's better ceases when you make good money. moral? get a good paying job, own it all! nuff said!

I agree that waiting is best, for several reasons.

1. It's too expensive right now for what you get
2. It'll be cheaper when better software is available
3. you KNOW the slim model is inevitable
4. Supporting $600 console prices is just bad form, gaming shouldn't be an Elitist hobby. Let them get away with $600 this time and it'll be $800-1,000 next time.

I'll be snagging a PS3 when the slim model comes out and is $299 or less. Not a moment sooner.

Tell me how it is in 2010 or so Dragon.
I can see them doing a slim line in 08, but dropping the price down to 300 will not be for a very long time. Probably not until a new system is coming out from Sony.

Tell me how it is in 2010 or so Dragon.
I can see them doing a slim line in 08, but dropping the price down to 300 will not be for a very long time. Probably not until a new system is coming out from Sony.

Guess we'll find out. I don't see a slim in 2008, I'm thinking 2009 at the earliest, and probably 2010. That's OK, though, I'm a patient guy :).

As for the price tag, I agree it probably won't be for awhile, which is probably the biggest design flaw in the entire PS3 strategy. $300 is the mass market price point, and until they get to that range, they won't see mass market penetration. Hell, 360's struggling at $400, it's no wonder PS3's lagging at $600. Still, it's entertaining to watch :)

Adjusted for inflation, $600 is not that far out there. It's about what an Atari 2600 cost brand new. :D

Everyone has a different price consciousness. I realize the extra $200 is a lot of money to some people. Most console sales don't occur until after a few price drops. I'd bet money Sony will do a price drop before Christmas of this year.

Adjusted for inflation, $600 is not that far out there. It's about what an Atari 2600 cost brand new. :D
True, but inflation doesn't affect consumer electronics like it does most other things.

If it did we'd be paying 5k for a standard PC and 10k for a good television right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back