Thermaltake Power Supplies

demechman

Weaksauce
I recently had an issue where a Power Supply stopped working and I sent it back to Thermaltake under warranty for a replacement. (kudos to them for ease) and They sent me back a heavier duty model as the replacement. What followed next was a year of issues. I finally diagnosed that the powersupply worked fine except under high heat and load conditions. If both conditions were met the computer would shut down and not turn back on for about 1 hour or more. I finally just used a junk powersupply and it has been working fine ever since. The original one was 600W replaced with a 750W model finally replaced with a 500W junk model. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem? I am also interested to know if anyone would have a technical reason for this behavior to occur.

Presumably the PSU you received as a replacement was a 750W Toughpower. Judging by the system in your rig, you weren't subjecting it to very much load, so either it was faulty, or something in your system was the culprit. The Toughpowers are good PSUs, so a properly-functioning unit wouldn't have had the issues you described.

The Toughpowers a high quality PSU's with a premium price tag. Mine's been perfect ever since I bought it. I would be more than pissed if it didn't live up to it's 3 year warranty. Send the junk back.

Those were my thoughts too. Generally when you do an RMA you receive a "fixed" unit that was RMA'ed previously. My guess is that I just had a bad run of luck.

What about the TR2 RX Series 850Watt PSU that Best Buy sells is that any good? I bought one when it was on sale for $148 now I am not sure I made a good purchase.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8990559&type=product&id=1218007088315

It is of the TR2 line so that PSU is probably of low quality judging from the rest of the TR2 line of PSUs. No info about whether it was rated at peak or continuous, who the actual manufacturer is, and it only has 60A on the +12V rail, a bit low considering that many other and quality 850W PSUs have 70A on the +12V rail.

So it's pretty much an unknown.

What about the TR2 RX Series 850Watt PSU that Best Buy sells is that any good? I bought one when it was on sale for $148 now I am not sure I made a good purchase.

I wouldn't buy or recommend any other Thermaltake PSU series other than the Toughpower.

Higher end toughpowers (850+ watts) has 5yr warranty, my 1k has.

Uh, Toughpower is the top of the line maybe you mean higher wattage? I knew about the difference in warranty but I paid less than $80 shipped for mine. But really, who cares what the warranty on your PSU is? It's irrelevant.

I always figured the TR2 RX line was supposed to be the low end 400-500W models, but now they're moving into the 800W-1kW range. I wonder if they're also PSH at a lesser quality level, or if they're some other CWT platform.

Yeah just noticed on the side of the box for the TR2 RX it says 750Watt Total power and 850Watt peek power. So shouldn't they be selling the W0319RU as a 750Watt PSU instead. Also it does say that it has a 5year Warranty.

But really, who cares what the warranty on your PSU is? It's irrelevant.
How is it irrelevant? I think the warranty policy for any hardware component is important. PSUs can fail just like anything else, and the longer that you're covered under warranty, the better.
I always figured the TR2 RX line was supposed to be the low end 400-500W models, but now they're moving into the 800W-1kW range. I wonder if they're also PSH at a lesser quality level, or if they're some other CWT platform.
The PSH is CWT's cheapest current platform in that wattage range, so if this PSU is manufactured by them, I doubt it uses anything else.
Yeah just noticed on the side of the box for the TR2 RX it says 750Watt Total power and 850Watt peek power. So shouldn't they be selling the W0319RU as a 750Watt PSU instead. Also it does say that it has a 5year Warranty.
Perhaps it's really just a 750W PSU then, which would explain the 60A +12V rating.

I had a 750W Toughpower die on me and I got an RMA pretty easily. No hassles and the replacement works fine. Sent me essentially a brand new one with all the retail accessories.

How is it irrelevant? I think the warranty policy for any hardware component is important. PSUs can fail just like anything else, and the longer that you're covered under warranty, the better.

Serious? The OP already knows his warranty. The other poster wasn't trying to be helpful only brag on his epeen.

"Higher end toughpowers (850+ watts) has 5yr warranty, my 1k has."

Not so helpful.

Yeah just noticed on the side of the box for the TR2 RX it says 750Watt Total power and 850Watt peek power. So shouldn't they be selling the W0319RU as a 750Watt PSU instead.

I saw that and wondered that as well.

Last edited:
turned on tower dead . put in new psu, stil dead,
called em and no warenty was 6 month old.

They must have given a reason. They can't just blow you off and say "no warranty, bub".

Well, you either voided the warranty or didn't submit your claim properly. If your PSU was within the warranty period, you should have been covered. Perhaps if you used proper English, your problem would have been better dealt with.

i have oc'd 7200 to 3.9, a 4850 , 2 30g vertex and 3hd's and 1 dvd drive.

kill a watt says load is 292?

toughpower 700

it was like 20bucks after rebates and coupons.

whats proper english got to do with warenty?

Customer service representatives and people in general tend to be more helpful when the helpee talks with proper/decent and grammatically correct English.

whats proper english got to do with warenty?
Because if you don't use proper English and grammar, the CS reps won't know what the hell you're saying, which makes it unlikely that they'll be able to help you. And it's also a matter of courtesy. People will be more inclined to help you if they see that you've put in the minimal effort it takes to communicate clearly.

Back