The Woz Has Left Facebook

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by rgMekanic, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

I'd like to see Zuck pressured to donate his shares to charity.

No more phony apologies. Talk is cheap.

2. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

Actually, I have never owned a smart phone. I have a dumb flip phone.

I stand by my assertion Facebook is not doing anything many other companies are doing. Whether or not it is transparent per any agreements, I feel comfortable saying 99% of the public have never read any agreements and 75% have no idea what is being collected, or by who, or where it ends up. Yes, I pulled the numbers out of my tin foil hat.

He could donate them as the board of Facebook may help him get out, with a generous severance package to be sure. Enough he would not need those shares any longer.

3. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

you know that google reads your private email to target adds, right? oh.. yeah, you like having tabs kept on you. as long as your name is'nt connected w/ your (ip) number.

4. nysmo

nysmo Gawd

While people might not be too keen on having their info sold, people these days are far too narcissistic to sacrifice their likes and popularity contests for info about what kind of shoes and toilet seats they like. Look at all the people setting themselves on fire and doing ridiculous stunts ruining their lives on livestream. Look at how many people livestream absurdly mundane details like just driving their car to work or doing their taxes. Everyone wants to be famous. In fact I think there was some youtube documentary once detailing how most people's greatest fear today is being unknown. The only thing I ever used FB for was to have a presence for Google in case any employers wanted to stalk me during my interview process. By providing some imagery to suggest I was a normal functioning adult I figured it'd look good if they ever did this. Then I started just posting meme's to amuse my coworkers. It was never about me, it was about making people laugh. Deleted account a few weeks ago out of principle.

5. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

There was never a chance that FB would remain ad free. I took a lot of money to keep FB going before it went public and they weren't giving Zuck money to create a site without a plan to monetize it. The same is true for Google, Twitter, Instagram (even before FB bought it) and snapchat.

Remember when MTV didn't have ads? Yeah that ended once they could sell ads and the more ads they could sell the more ads they had.

6. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya 2[H]4U

Nothing wrong with your own 128TB personal cloud, especially when it's LAN access only :)
    Free? We paid for cable, and got ads anyway!