The Witcher

Haven't gotten there yet (btw might wanna put spoiler in the title or color the text black (#222222), but have you patched to 1.1 or whatever the patch was? It was supposed to fix a lot of bugs.

Yes the game is patched :)

Woot, my UK copy just came in from GoGamer, English and International :D!

EDIT: EIGHTY (80) page manual, you KNOW they put effort into this game just from that :D.

Woot, my UK copy just came in from GoGamer, English and International :D!

EDIT: EIGHTY (80) page manual, you KNOW they put effort into this game just from that :D.

How many languages? 80 pages really isn't that much if in 10 different languages....:p

The reason I ask is that my copy of Two Worlds is the International version and the manual is pretty hefty (I don't feel like digging it out to get an exact count...lol)...but it has five languages in it. Despite that, I thought the manual was quite in depth.

Geez...that is impressive! You don't see that too often in manuals nowadays. :eek:

Bah, the only purpose manuals serve is to give you something to read when you're installing the game. More emphasis should be placed on in-game tutorials and providing game background in the game itself.

Or in this case, a collection of centerfolds of all the wenches and maidens you're gonna nail in the game. ;)

I'd say the ingame "movie(?)" was pretty great for giving a low down on who you are and what you can do and some history. Much better than other games I've played which had almost nothing :p

People on Anandtech reporting that the new beta 169. drivers from nvidia fixed the issue...I hope they are right, just got my copy from gogamer.

which version? 169.01 or 169.04?

I got my copy and am heading home.. whew. didn't see any copies on the floor, just behind the counter.. none of the other BB's in my area reported having any stock also..

I got my copy and am heading home.. whew. didn't see any copies on the floor, just behind the counter.. none of the other BB's in my area reported having any stock also..

Make sure its not filled with tiles :p

good news and bad news....

Played for 4 hours, the game runs great, no crashes. But the bastards in gogamer sent me the us version not the import one I ordered. Probably will keep it, too much hassle in exchanging it...

I wonder if Canada will get the censored American version or not? We usually get the US version but in this case they have no right to force their morals upon us up here. In Quebec they think they are Euros anyway.

good news and bad news....

Played for 4 hours, the game runs great, no crashes. But the bastards in gogamer sent me the us version not the import one I ordered. Probably will keep it, too much hassle in exchanging it...

how can you tell if its the US version or if its the UK? is there something within the manual or install files?

how can you tell if its the US version or if its the UK? is there something within the manual or install files?

The UK box is a normal DVD case, with a non-ESRB ratings logo. It has an Atari UK address on the back, and inside the registration card goes to Atari UK. The differences are very obvious between that and a US box :).

169.04s

revenant said:

thanks.. I updated to .04 before installing last night.. I cleaned up my c drive a bit also, defragged and installed + patched.. load times are fine.. but these raptors are pretty zippy on this rockraid controller.. I got to play for all of an hour before I was too tired to enjoy much else.. longest intro movie on a game I have ever seen.. lol. pretty awesome also. The combat is almost too easy.. I was expecting something more like the mmos I have played.. anyways.. still getting used to the movement also.. I am going to game all night tonight so I should get fully aclimated.. :)

thanks.. I updated to .04 before installing last night.. I cleaned up my c drive a bit also, defragged and installed + patched.. load times are fine.. but these raptors are pretty zippy on this rockraid controller.. I got to play for all of an hour before I was too tired to enjoy much else.. longest intro movie on a game I have ever seen.. lol. pretty awesome also. The combat is almost too easy.. I was expecting something more like the mmos I have played.. anyways.. still getting used to the movement also.. I am going to game all night tonight so I should get fully aclimated.. :)

lol, wait until you get to the boss for the first act, you won't think so easy then :p.

The UK box is a normal DVD case, with a non-ESRB ratings logo. It has an Atari UK address on the back, and inside the registration card goes to Atari UK. The differences are very obvious between that and a US box :).

Cool, I didn't pay much attention to the packaging, (too many trick-o-treaters last night,) figured it was better to keep them happy, (and my truck from getting egged.) ;)

lol.. ok, fair enough..

So are most of you using OTS mode? I seem to prefer that so far..

I've tried all 3 for about 30 minutes each... not quite long enough to draw a full conclusion but so far I like OTS the best, (I think.) Camera controls take a bit to get used to though.

I'm using OTS, it actually swapped me to regular mode when loading my save yesterday and it was much hard to control as I come from a FPS mostly background and like using WASD to move. I thought it was just the in town camera or something at first :eek:

I think I'll get this game. On what settings do you think I can play this game?

1GB RAM
3Ghz P4
x1950 PRO 512mb GDDR3

The control scheme is really annoying, I'm pretty much holding down the middle mouse button 90% of the time I play (in F2 control mode), wish there was a way to lock the camera to the mouse without having to hold down the middle mouse button.
(I know there's the F3 OST mode which does that, but the camera is off to his side and too close to him, which is even more annoying.)

As much as people bash Hellgate:London, if anything they did right was the third person camera, the camera control in Hellgate is way way better than both The Witcher and Two Worlds. I wish I could have hellgate controls/camera style in this game.

Anyhow, like most people I didn't really like the prologue/tutorial that much, but then once the first act starts, and you start to get the hang of the combat system its really a very enjoyable RPG, way way better than Oblivion from a RPG point of view.

Its a great game, providing you can forgive the long loading times, also beware if you only have 1GB ram though, on my system when playing The Witcher memory usage hovers around 1.8-1.9 GB.

Yes - the 3rd person cam in HGL was very well done.. I too have had some difficulty adjusting to TW's cam style... I am using OTS solely now after playing with the other 3rd person options.. I finally made it out into the world and it's very pretty.. the story is pretty good so far also.. I had to turn AA off altogether to get decent smooth frame rates tho.. grrr.. oh well.. that world is supposed to look a little gritty I reckon. I am able to run with all other options maxed.. I might play with the SLI rendering options in the drivers.. maybe try AFR2 or AFR (whichever it's not on now.) see if the other is better.. I think I might also invest in an e6750 and clock the crap out of it.. my current e6600 only goes to 3.2ghz now and I think that's limiting my video subsystem a bit.. it would be nice to be able to use AA on this westy..

You said it goes up to 1.8-1.9GB, so if I increase virtual memory to say, 3GB, will that be sufficient? (I have 1GB RAM) Also, on what settings can I play the game with my specs?

I don't get the load time complaints, they don't feel any longer than the load times in HL2to me.

You said it goes up to 1.8-1.9GB, so if I increase virtual memory to say, 3GB, will that be sufficient? (I have 1GB RAM) Also, on what settings can I play the game with my specs?

Minimum requirements:

* Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2, Vista (Operating System must be up to date with the latest fixes)
* Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz or AMD Athlon 64 +2800
* 1 GB RAM for Microsoft® Windows® XP / 1536 MB for Microsoft® Windows® Vista
* 128 MB Video RAM or greater with DirectX9 Vertex Shader/ Pixel Shader 2.0 support ( NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI Radeon 9800 or better)
* 8.5 GB available hard drive space
* DirectX 9.0c compliant soundcard, plus speakers or headphones
* DVD-Rom

It's just that I'm worried as I'm playing on high settings on STALKER, but sometimes its really smooth, and then BAM, its starts to stutter! And random crashes dammit! On the STALKER forums, even people with really high end computers get crashes and stuttering in that game! Wtf!

Hope its different in The Witcher.

I like that the load times only take 10 sec or less.

My load times are instant if I have been there recently or maybe 10-40 seconds if it is new. I don't have a problem with loading like some are having.

I'm on Vista x64 with 2GB ram and a C2D6400. I am running the game from a second hard drive.

My load times are instant if I have been there recently or maybe 10-40 seconds if it is new. I don't have a problem with loading like some are having.

I'm on Vista x64 with 2GB ram and a C2D6400. I am running the game from a second hard drive.

I haven't tried it yet since I'm waiting on my cards later today, but I assume the load times on this game especially would have a lot to do with one's hard drive speeds and total RAM (2gb+ minimum for good loads).

first boss can be quite difficult... I'm playing on hard (really wanted to experience everything the game has to offer) and even some of the larger group battles can be difficult. You really can't survive on hard w/o having a sallow up at all times IMO.

I am really enjoying the crap out of this game right now. I'm only in chapt 2, but i'm just loving the combat, the story, the investigating etc etc. Great game IMO and def. at the top of my all time RPG list. If they can fix up the loading times a bit like they are saying they will on the Witcher forums it will be nearly perfect.

Liking the game quite a bit myself. I play OST exclusively, i dont understand how either F1 or F2 works for you guys (i absolutely hate both).

For anyone having difficulty with Chapter 1 end boss...

*Spoiler*
Hes stunnable. Stun him with your first sign and then hes a 1 hit KO. If you dont want to 'cheese' it make sure you keep Abigail alive the whole battle so she can heal you.

IMO the load time problem isn't really a problem with load times, but caching.

For example if you're outdoors, then see two small 1-room houses, it goes like
(1) Load/Enter house 1
(2) Exit house 1
(3) Load outdoors again <-- Should not be here, should be cached
(4) Load/enter house 2
(5) Exit house 2
(6) Load outdoors again <-- Should not be here, should be cached

The load times in 1.1a are okish - its the annoyance of the game not caching resources, so it has to reload the entire outdoors again, and again, and again, when you are just entering one room houses. FFS the game takes up 1.7 to 1.9 GB memory on my system, I'd expect as much caching as possible.

I like how this game uses the G15 keyboard display. It shows Hp, En, Exp etc. It is nice to have it work right out of the box without needing to download a mod or plugin.

24575306zh1.jpg

Here is how the game looks for me when outdoors. My card only hits 71c so it's not overheating. I tried underclocking my CPU to stock and nothing, tried 7.6 cats all the way up to 7.10 and still nothing. Anyone else with this problem? No other games have issues(Timeshift, ut3, Hellgate, ect.)..

Back