The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

so the 2nd dcl will be 15 dollars or more to make the season pass worthwhile, right?

The second expansion back (slated for 2016) is supposedly to add about an extra 20-30 hours of game content. The Hearts of Stone (1st expansion coming out next month) offers only about 10-15hrs of gameplay.

They need to add more gwent cards and card types for a more challenging pwnzor gaming strategy. The current gwent is way too easy once you get the hang of it.

Read the online guides of how it works and how to win with good strategies. It's really simple like 1+1 in Maths.

Gwent isn't necessarily even about strategy, but about having good cards and enough luck to ensure that you draw them.
You're borderline unbeatable if you have a shitload of spies and 10/15 point cards...although if you get a lousy draw much of that is negated. By the end of the game you're tough to beat even with that, though.
The only real strategy you usually need is just deciding if you want to concede a round to make the other person waste their cards.

eh, its a little more strategic than that. like deciding which weather cards to use, making them play their weather card first so you can clear it, making them load the front line so you can burn or freeze them, and so on. also emptying your hand of junk cards so you can more easily get strategic draws. with a better deck you are not as affected by weather, but also the horns are less useful. so on

I am level 26 and literally have run out of contracts and side quests except:

Gwent
Some master armorer quest
Skellige fist fights
3 contracts that are 30+

Hitting the question marks right now but it is netting me peanuts for XP. I am wondering if I should just complete the game as is since I am searching for people to help me with what seems like a final fight.

How much game is left?
What else can I do except start hunting for gwent cards?

I am level 26 and literally have run out of contracts and side quests except:

Gwent
Some master armorer quest
Skellige fist fights
3 contracts that are 30+

Hitting the question marks right now but it is netting me peanuts for XP. I am wondering if I should just complete the game as is since I am searching for people to help me with what seems like a final fight.

How much game is left?
What else can I do except start hunting for gwent cards?

A lot of the questions marks lead to bigger quests - it's not all monster nests and hidden treasures.

Really, I haven't really come across question marks leading to bigger quests. Maybe I need to get around much more. I have been mostly hitting the notice boards and the areas which seem to be inhabited. I am almost tempted to use a map to see which question marks are worthwhile.

Just noticed that the expansion achievements have been added to steam... setting my "98% run" back further :-p

Return to Sender
Kill 3 opponents with their own arrows.

Can Quit Anytime I Want
Be under the influence of seven potions or decoctions at the same time.

Wild SPOILER Dethorned
Destroy all the SPOILER

I Wore Ofieri Before It Was Cool
Collect all available Ofieri armor and horse gear, and at least one Ofieri sword.

Killed It
Win a round of gwent with a total strength of at least 187.

As for the last achievement, been there done that.

Last edited:
Very few of the "?'s" lead to something bigger. Lots of "hidden treasure" or "guarded" treasure" 2-minute quests, though. There are a few exceptions, but probably only a handful. Especially in Skellige. You usually see a yellow "!" when a quest is available. Sometimes when you get close to a "?" it will reveal a "!" quest at the same time, though.
I found Velen worth thoroughly exploring. Skellige is mostly a waste of time.

Just noticed that the expansion achievements have been added to steam... setting my "98% run" back further :-p

As for the last achievement, been there done that.

With my luck, my opponent gets to play the scorched card twice and completely annihilates my siege line :rolleyes:

Even with the scorch and random weather cards, it's borderline impossible to lose once you have a fleet of spies and 10/15 cards. The tournament is really the only time where the CPU can compete with that.
I found the game to be at least a tiny bit difficult early because you had no cards and incredibly easy late. In the middle it usually just comes down to using spies and decoys to make the CPU blow all of their goodies in a single round. I suppose you can make the game as hard or as easy as you want, but I shelved all of my 1-4 point cards (except Spies and Dandelion) and weather cards to boot. I'd rather have a so-so card than one that can hurt me, too. As long as there's luck involved, I don't want to be stuck with 2-3 cards and one of them hurts my lineup more than the CPU's.

Oh, I agree with you on every thing you said. After collecting all (almost all?) the cards, my deck is solid enough to the point I can't remember the last time I lost the game. I just can't remember if I ever surpassed 130 in a game due to scorched cards, is all.

Well I tried the Gwent game, and in my opinion, its not for me. Not interested at all really. I'd rather just play quests/story mode.

Just my preference.

I think the highest score I ever got was 220'ish, but it was just me being a dick and playing something like 12 cards against a CPU that had nothing left. It was one of those games where I managed to get 3 decoys and both me and the CPU had a fleet of spies.
That was combined with a bunch of 10-15 point face cards and stackable bonus cards with Dandelion and the Siegemaster. Not like it really matters, though. I just wanted to see how crazy I could make it.

Once again, the craftsman is too low to make stuff.

Argh.. I'm level 26 and just beat the Kar Morhen battle quest, now working my way to the mountain top, I want to make some new gear.

Where should I go? Or who should I go to?

Once again, the craftsman is too low to make stuff.

Argh.. I'm level 26 and just beat the Kar Morhen battle quest, now working my way to the mountain top, I want to make some new gear.

Where should I go? Or who should I go to?

There are two masterwork smiths in the game. One is in Novigrad, the other is in Crow's Perch. Both have quests that unlock their ability to create masterwork items. Normal smiths should be able to cover most other everyday items, though. The trick is that they either make weapons or armor, not both.

ah yes, i forgot to complete the master armor quest, and i just did it.
Thank you!

It would help if you posted why so I dont give them more clicks.

Well for one the guy is comparing MGS 5 with TW3
And two I hate when reviews speak on behalf of all gamers, as if their opinions sides with all.

As well, saying how TW3 is in fact linear, and basically lazy level design.

TBH, I haven't touched Gwent in the 145+ hours I've put in the game.
Besides an extra couple bucks(or more) Gwent can get you, is there anything like new armor or new quest unlocks from dominating in Gwent?

Holy shit, such a nonsense article (the writer has a major hard-on for dark souls and spends the whole thing trying to argue why several completely different games aren't as good) then has the balls to post a TotalBiscuit video about how

so much relies on the different way we all consume games and have such wide, diverse tastes

which basically invalidates the whole piece. Quality journalism.

TBH, I haven't touched Gwent in the 145+ hours I've put in the game.
Besides an extra couple bucks(or more) Gwent can get you, is there anything like new armor or new quest unlocks from dominating in Gwent?

There's a quest involving a Gwent tournament that plays out differently (with different rewards) if you do win it.
In terms of weapons/armor, nothing beats the Witcher sets. Very few others even come close. You might find a single item that beats an enhanced set of boots or gloves by a point or two, but that's it.

which basically invalidates the whole piece. Quality journalism.

The "thought of the day" crap really turns me off from actually clicking once more to get into the text. It's utterly useless, and deters me about 30% of the time I even want to click on a Forbes link.

That said...

The "big flaw" is kiiind of stupid? It's a bit of a whine-and-cheese affair, where the criticism is simply: "I have too much freedom in open-world games, so I get bored, but hey everyone loves Dark Souls and it's because it's a series of interconnected obstacles courses that says it's an open-world game."

And then here's a TB review of Mad Max - which hello, you have not mentioned this entire time.

Reading forbes for gaming news is synonymous to trying to find naked women in the New York financial times.

actually they make some good points. Issue being they like obstacles / challenges created by the world design. They love dark souls and dishonored for that. But they are not quite open worlds, they have more of a gatekeeper design. In other words you do "x" to open section "y". Original DS was a masterpiece in level design. Not sure how well it translates though to large sprawling worlds.

actually they make some good points. Issue being they like obstacles / challenges created by the world design. They love dark souls and dishonored for that. But they are not quite open worlds, they have more of a gatekeeper design. In other words you do "x" to open section "y". Original DS was a masterpiece in level design. Not sure how well it translates though to large sprawling worlds.

I'm not sure I agree though. Dark Souls was indeed a masterpiece because its design was a series of obstacle courses that had some interconnected shortcuts, but ultimately forced you to endure repetitively until you progressed - the interplay between environment and progression, how tightly wound up it all was, and how it all worked. There is no real randomness baked into the (single player) DS formula: the same enemies would spawn at the same points and you tirelessly trek through it (to fetch your bloodstain).

Open worlds are less like that - sure there are certainly set-piece moments as well as building blocks you will begin to recognize. And yes, in a way, you don't get the carefully crafted moments, but, in the same regard, that isn't really at the core appeal of open-world games anyway. You have some systems and you have some objectives, and then the game assigns you things to do - that's kind of what MMO's do (and therefore we could maybe argue that open-world game can be classified as Massively Singleplayer Offline game trying to keep you busy to justify the one-time subscription fee :D ). Why give you all that freedom? It's a testament to letting the fun come out of the interaction of systems, not solely from the game designer leading you down a carefully selected path.

It's a weak argument (I think?) where the "biggest flaw" was really not a flaw at all, but just that the author didn't really care much for those kinds of games in the first place. I mean, Minecraft is crazy popular and it's not a "designed" game at all. Would this guy have fun with it? Or is it flawed too?

I absolutely hated the Dark Souls series. Don't know why I bought it but probably because of all the hype around it.

People tend to either hate the Souls games or love them in an unhealthy way. There isn't a lot of middle ground.

I absolutely hated the Dark Souls series. Don't know why I bought it but probably because of all the hype around it.

Same here. I guess I didn't "absolutely hate" it but I gave it a decent chance (several chances, actually) and just couldn't get into it.

Back