The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

God no, Chivalry has the worst melee combat system since Skyrim. That game gave my mouse cancer. I'll take War of the Roses over that shit. I understand Dark Souls is widely praised amongst masochists of the video game community but I will take an immersive and streamlined control scheme over broken and slow complexity any day.

You need to git gud, son. Try playing on some low-level servers to get a feel for the timing. I can understand if you hate the game after getting wailed on by third-person-using high-level autists of which there are many, but the combat is solid. Most immersive first-person combat game of all time.

Force of habit...SELL ALL THE THINGS!

In all seriousness, are there just some items you can't sell, or can I just not sell them to this particular merchant?

Also, I kinda hate that it costs money to dismantle items...makes sense I guess, but still annoying.

Sometimes when you get to the merchant, he'll give you a log of shit in terms of what an item is worth. I usually only pick up the "blue" quality items, or higher because of that. Try to make sure to sell stuff often.

Melee combat critique is serious business.

I liked the melee combat in Dark Messiah (Might/Magic). Arkane seems/seemed to know how to do this stuff. However, much different context since it was an action first person sorta deal.

is there someone who can tell me if it is possible to maxout the game at 1200P with a GTX980 SLI?
is there framerate drop or a constant >=60 FPS?

is there someone who can tell me if it is possible to maxout the game at 1200P with a GTX980 SLI?
is there framerate drop or a constant >=60 FPS?

I can't even max out the game @ 1200P with Titan X SLI. On certain areas, it will drop into the mid 50s for frame rates.

For the person asking about areas: Each section is pretty huge, parts of it may be blocked via mountain or bridge with gate. Going too far will show a end of the world, go back message and then a fast travel map if you don't. I don't care for this, I would rather have parts of the map greyed out instead of looking for boundaries.

as for loot, I have collected everything. you can drop stuff and it remains, at least for a day. Drop it at once and it is a single bag that will appear on the minimap. The innkeepers by junk, weapon guys buy everything else. The garrison appears to have slightly better prices for weapons but not by much. Siding against the merchants... not recommended. :)

So what is everyone doing with their points? It seems like there are some possible 300 potential points to assign. Between the levels and the shrines I doubt you get more than 60 or 70...

Yeah I am struggling on how to build Geralt.

Levels seem to be hard to come by and the placeas of power I have found two so far in White Orchard. .

So far I put my points into the l quick attack (I want whirlwind damnit), Quen sign, the general skil that builds up adrenaline faster and also signs build it, and a point in defense.

I believe the game was made to force you to specialize and there won't be nearly enough points to max out mulitple trees but rather just one-two and then a few for others.

I kind of want to focus on melee combat and aard/quen signs.

point wise i am lvl 4, with 8 points in quick attack /parry arrows, and a point in more crit damage for each piece of light armor.

You need to git gud, son. Try playing on some low-level servers to get a feel for the timing. I can understand if you hate the game after getting wailed on by third-person-using high-level autists of which there are many, but the combat is solid. Most immersive first-person combat game of all time.

That game is a spam fest, there is nothing realistic or fun about it. It's literally clicking until your opponent drops his guard and win. Atleast with WOTR combat feels deliberate and methodical which I got extremely good at. I like my combat to have directional control and depth.

point wise i am lvl 4, with 8 points in quick attack /parry arrows, and a point in more crit damage for each piece of light armor.

Same boat here, just higher level slightly. Focusing on quick attacks, parry, light armor and igni to help with armored foes. I don't get many opportunities to get heavy attacks, especially against larger groups, so my focus has been on improving quick attacks.

I spent my first skill point without realizing there were like 5 other tabs of skills. :eek:

However, I used it on parrying arrows so I think that's still a good choice.

yo, it doesnt look all that bad, i just started playing it. running everything maxed/ultra with bloom - off, blur - off, hair - off, chromatic aberration - off and ambient occlusion - none, is running pretty good @2560x1440 on my old rig (single 970, 4770s, 16gb @1600 7-8-7-24), smooth.

yo, it doesnt look all that bad, i just started playing it. running everything maxed/ultra with bloom - off, blur - off, hair - off, chromatic aberration - off and ambient occlusion - none, is running pretty good @2560x1440 on my old rig (single 970, 4770s, 16gb @1600 7-8-7-24), smooth.
The colors are the worst, and it's not consistent so you can't even fix it with SweetFX.
The best thing you can do is desaturate the whole image a little bit but certain colors still bleed through.

I doubt any game is ever going to nail "realistic" combat.

I don't know a single game that even uses stances/guards properly and how they work in real life (IE they are fluid, you aren't "locked" into one stance and you can quickly switch to another when you do a move or not).

Stances and guards are like the foundation of melee combat and what it's built upon. Knowing what can be done from one stance, how to guard and the strengths/weaknesses of them was extremely important and why they had schools and teachers dedicated to melee combat back in the middle ages.

Not to mention the aspect of wrestling, disarms, trips, all of these things that you NEVER see even in movies.

Try fighting in armour with a sword against another guy in armor, it quickly becomes a match of halfswording (grabbing your blade and using it more like a spear) and a focus on trips/knockdowns so you can slide the tip into a weak point (Neck, groin, arm pit).

Most games can't even get that right, then you have defense things like Bucklers and shields.

Bucklers are in almost every game I've ever played treated as the "crappiest" shields because they are smaller and you almost alwyas want to ditch them asap for a bigger shield.

In real life? The buckler was a much more versatile tool and it was used LONGER then bigger shields and outlasted their use.

It was quicker then larger shields, it had both defense and offensive uses and could be HEAVILY modified, from having a spike on the boss (The central part of it) to having serrated edges for cutting, to having a latch for grabbing your enemies weapon, to being both convex AND convex (directing blows inward instead of off the sides).

The other main feature that separated them from larger shields was the fact you did not strap them to your arm, but rather held them in your fist, this allowed you to easily let go of it and drop it if need be, unlike larger shields where your enemy could grab it and "pull" you down because it was attached to your arm it could always be used against you if the enemy was close enough.

the main weakness of Bucklers (because of their small size) was ranged, which is the one area larger shields had an advantage. However when it comes to melee combat, I'd take a buckler any day over a large shield strapped to my arm.

Sorry I kind of went off on a bit of a ramble :p, I go a bit overboard when it comes to melee combat and history, one of my hobbies.

BAck to Witcher 3, Anyone else found out how to tame other horses?

I don't think you can permanently tame them (if you whistle Roach comes, not the new horse) but if you come across a pack of horses ( I found some just north of that first main village where you go to the tavern to ask about Yennifer) you can ride one if you cast your Axii sign.

Last edited:
The colors are the worst, and it's not consistent so you can't even fix it with SweetFX.
The best thing you can do is desaturate the whole image a little bit but certain colors still bleed through.

yo, i just started brah, just saying i was expecting a lot worse but i'll keep posting, this is just the first impressions :)

I still don't get how you guys with 970's and Titan's can't max this out. My 7950 is doing great @ 1080 with all, but Blur things on.

That game is a spam fest, there is nothing realistic or fun about it. It's literally clicking until your opponent drops his guard and win. Atleast with WOTR combat feels deliberate and methodical which I got extremely good at. I like my combat to have directional control and depth.

Yeah, no. It's different from what you're used to, obviously, but not like that. I like War of the Roses too, the upgrade to the classic Mount and Blade formula works pretty well there. War of the Vikings was good also, before they fucked it up.

Didn't you see the spec in his sig? I'm sure that 1 MHz CPU is holding him back :D.

Infact I think that the guys has no TitanX SLI or it has some other problems.
Maxwell rocks this game with Gameworks on, as nVidia stated:

Maxwell GPUs are up to three times faster at tessellation than previous-generation GPUs, so you may experience lower HairWorks performance on other graphics cards due to the extensive use of tessellated hairs.

A GTX980 SLI should be from 70 to 90FPS on 1080P everything maxed out.
I'm glad that the game scales well on SLI.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow as soon as it will arrive. :)

Infact I think that the guys has no TitanX SLI or it has some other problems.
Maxwell rocks this game with Gameworks on, as nVidia stated:

A GTX980 SLI should be from 70 to 90FPS on 1080P everything maxed out.
I'm glad that the game scales well on SLI.

Can't wait to play it tomorrow as soon as it will arrive. :)

You should be rocking it with two 980's, now you just need a nice 4K display ;). I'm contemplating grabbing another Titan X, as 4K is melting my rig. I had to experiment with the settings and knock a few things down. I've got Hairworks on Geralt Only, so that's still solid looking. Granted, the hair on him looks perfectly fine without Hairworks, but why not eh.

Still no fix for the horrible framerate and stutter in cutscenes?

What cutscenes? Real-time or the narrated ones? HairWorks kills real-time cutscenes because of the massive scaling that it does. Nothing you can do about that unless they choose to give us more options in-game or in the ini. For the narrated ones you should try changing "MovieFramerate" in user.settings to 60 or your monitor refresh rate or something. Haven't done it myself but it's worth a try.

sooooo besides graphics...

Where's everyone at in the story?
Level 6 still.

Both pre-rendered and in game cutscenes stutter like crazy for me, the pre-rendered are in the 20's! Hairworks is off

Both pre-rendered and in game cutscenes stutter like crazy for me, the pre-rendered are in the 20's! Hairworks is off

FWIW the pre-rendered scenes also double as loading screens, so that's part of the problem. Try the setting I gave in the other post. As for in-game what are your framerates overall?

sooooo besides graphics...

Where's everyone at in the story?
Level 6 still.

Lvl 5 and I just started mucking around in the area after you meet the Bloody Baron.

I have to take breaks from this game because I feel like a dog and there are a million squirrels every which way.

For the in-game cutscenes, I'm using Vsync and it's a steady 60fps but I still see slight stutter, not as bad as the pre-rendered

Lvl 5 and I just started mucking around in the area after you meet the Bloody Baron.

I have to take breaks from this game because I feel like a dog and there are a million squirrels every which way.

Have you beem looting like crazy?
i love the loot system in this game.
However, I know the slot of inventory(weapons, gear, runes etc...) adds to the weight of what you can carry. It appears that isn't the only thing that applies to weight.

Alchemy stuff has zero impact it seems on weight.

And can you PC players post some screenshots? Im uber jealous.

Ps4 is like on medium at best lol

Oh nice! This new NVidia driver made a huge difference on my GTX-760! This thing is super smooth now at 30fps with a mix of high/ultra settings. Think I'll crank some more up to ultra.

Jjwb.jpg

Does this rape performance?

Well, I mean, when 75% of the game is melee combat and the combat sucks.... it's not fun.

Agreed. Exploring and discovering new area's is a blast. Then the combat starts and sadly this games combat system is really bad still.

Back