The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

I plan to not cheat on Yennefer. If you're banging her how does anyone else compare?

Polygon posted an article about patch 1.04 not giving out exp or not enough for quests. I completely cleared white orchard, after killing the griffin I am lvl 4. Is this normal? I assumed it was but couldn't help to notice most enemies are lvl 9, lowest is lvl 6 in this new area.

I plan to not cheat on Yennefer. If you're banging her how does anyone else compare?

Polygon posted an article about patch 1.04 not giving out exp or not enough for quests. I completely cleared white orchard, after killing the griffin I am lvl 4. Is this normal? I assumed it was but couldn't help to notice most enemies are lvl 9, lowest is lvl 6 in this new area.

It's normal. Are you playing on Death March, too? Lowest in Velen isn't level 6 either, but the levels can get pretty high. Avoid the ones you can't kill.

Edit: You can jump levels pretty easily playing the main quest line or doing level-appropriate secondary quests/contracts. Farming mobs isn't designed to level you up, however.

It's normal. Are you playing on Death March, too? Lowest in Velen isn't level 6 either, but the levels can get pretty high. Avoid the ones you can't kill.

Edit: You can jump levels pretty easily playing the main quest line or doing level-appropriate secondary quests/contracts. Farming mobs isn't designed to level you up, however.

Roger, thanks. I am on Death March.

Also to note I wish I made the swallow potion sooner. I was using tons of my coins on food alone.

Roger, thanks. I am on Death March.

Also to note I wish I made the swallow potion sooner. I was using tons of my coins on food alone.

I live off of wolf livers and dog meat right now. :p Haven't bought food in a while. With your crossbow you can shoot the hares and deer running around pretty easily, too. Another thing is that the vitality regen doesn't stack. So don't spam your food or swallow because anything after the first one is wasted.

Wouldn't be surprised if the fix came out later today. I feel sorry for console players, though.

The bug is also affecting PC.

Too bad for people who pushed campaign quests over the last few days. That's XP they will never get back.

The bug is also affecting PC.

Too bad for people who pushed campaign quests over the last few days. That's XP they will never get back.

Unless the game looks at completed quests after the fix and retroactively adjusts your XP total.

Or just load up an XP mod or use Cheat Engine to tweak it up a bit to balance out.

There's plenty of options to adjust XP at any point really for PC users.

The console approval delay is always a bitch though.

Wonder when they are going to fix all the crash to windows issues. I mean I can play the game sometimes for 2-3hrs straight no problem. Other times it's 5min and boom. Kind of annoying. I save my game every 5min or so just incase.

Sounds like the issue might be isolated to using a controller, as I do, but not sure. I have no desire to play this game with mouse/kb.

Wonder when they are going to fix all the crash to windows issues. I mean I can play the game sometimes for 2-3hrs straight no problem. Other times it's 5min and boom. Kind of annoying. I save my game every 5min or so just incase.

Sounds like the issue might be isolated to using a controller, as I do, but not sure. I have no desire to play this game with mouse/kb.

What kind of controller are you using? I use an Xbox One controller and have rarely had crashes (mostly related to Nvidia drivers).

I wonder what the criteria for the XP bug is, i played for a few hours last night and was getting quest xp with no issues and was leveling normally.

Okay so the bug isn't related to 1.04 but appears at some point during progression...

"We are aware of the issue and working on it. It's not related to 1.04 it just becomes apparent at some point in the game."

Apparently people say a greyed out quest, one that you are a higher level than is recommended, you get reduced XP. But apparently there is a bug that leaves you with no XP if you do a lower level quest, which must be addressed in a patch.

I don't think the bug is as described. My assumption was that nothing gives you xp except maybe quests. And then I started leveling up normally. They have some scaling going on for quests > you....

I live off of wolf livers and dog meat right now. :p Haven't bought food in a while. With your crossbow you can shoot the hares and deer running around pretty easily, too. Another thing is that the vitality regen doesn't stack. So don't spam your food or swallow because anything after the first one is wasted.

I might have spammed both at one point. I've been keeping swallow and the other potion that increases stamina regen for the most part though. I like their durations.

What kind of controller are you using? I use an Xbox One controller and have rarely had crashes (mostly related to Nvidia drivers).

I'm using a dual shock 4 controller which is emulated as a xbox360 controller. I'm also using the latest nvidia drivers w/ my titan-x. Maybe the issue is there, I dunno. It's annoying though. I was reading a thread where people thought it had to do with the xbox 360 controller as it didn't happen when it was unplugged. However the issue isn't exactly easily reproducible. Sometimes it crashes quick, sometimes takes hours or doesn't crash at all. Odd thing is the game keeps chugging along just fine according to the audio but the game gets minimized and dies 5-10secs later.

Here's the actual XP bug:

"Quests that are 6 levels (or more) lower than yours are not granting experience," writes CD Projekt Red. "Anything else should reward you with exp, we are looking into the issue."

Quests that appear GRAY in your Journal are not correctly rewarding XP. Easy to avoid.

edit: Some people are still claiming they don't receive XP from level-appropriate quests.

Last edited:
I might have spammed both at one point. I've been keeping swallow and the other potion that increases stamina regen for the most part though. I like their durations.

I swear you can do food and drink at the same time for faster regen. You get separate buffs for them at least. I'm probably wrong and it's a placebo effect...probably been wasting regen items this whole time.

Weird. Ya I was gonna say, because I haven't seen this XP bug. Probably because I'm completing quests within my level.

Geeeezus, its what 10 days since release, and already 4 patches, with more coming soon.
4 years developing this game, and they now just are discovering an XP bug?

Weird. Ya I was gonna say, because I haven't seen this XP bug. Probably because I'm completing quests within my level.

Geeeezus, its what 10 days since release, and already 4 patches, with more coming soon.
4 years developing this game, and they now just are discovering an XP bug?
XP is so damn slow in this game it's really hard to notice.
But if you finish a quest and don't see the "XP GAINED" pop-up, then you've hit the bug.

I swear you can do food and drink at the same time for faster regen. You get separate buffs for them at least. I'm probably wrong and it's a placebo effect...probably been wasting regen items this whole time.

I know from observation that you can stack potions and food, in other words swallow and any food or beverage will work together and accelerate regeneration.

How are you guys and girls dealing with the lack of gold at the early part of the game? I am running around with like 4 gold (Orens?), broken items, and each time I find a vendor to sell items to, they only have like 100 gold and I can't even sell them enough items to get money back for a gear repair :eek: I am just out of the first area for a reference.

This is turning into a hobo simulator more than an adventure game for me.

How are you guys and girls dealing with the lack of gold at the early part of the game? I am running around with like 4 gold (Orens?), broken items, and each time I find a vendor to sell items to, they only have like 100 gold and I can't even sell them enough items to get money back for a gear repair :eek: I am just out of the first area for a reference.

You go out explore and play the game dude....I hit every ? in the first map after the tutorial...I would sell all junk back for profit....I am at level 8 now since I started playing and I have a little over 4000 gold....

Gold in this game is useless.
You only need it for crafting/dismantling. There's nothing useful to buy unless you're short on some crafting materials.

Sorry, I meant don't spam the same item. You can have a food and a drink, though, plus swallow. If you eat another food or another drink or quaff another swallow in the meantime, the timer will reset, but the effects won't stack. So vitality items of the same type don't stack, is what I should say. You can confirm this in the stats menu.

Not really an issue. Just loot more. Also, make sure to sell items to the appropriate vendor to get the maximum return. You sell weapons to a weaponsmith, armor to an armorsmith, etc. If you sell a sword to a generic food merchant you'll get almost nothing.

I was perpetually broke too in the early game but it didn't really affect the game in any negative way. That's just the nature of fantasy RPG's in my experience - you're slowly building up from nothing. Once you do have money then you actually appreciate it. I think the armorer in Oxenfurt was the first non-peasant merchant that actually had a few bucks on him, at which point the thousands started rolling in from armor found in out of the way treasure chests.

You go out explore and play the game dude....I hit every ? in the first map after the tutorial...I would sell all junk back for profit....I am at level 8 now since I started playing and I have a little over 4000 gold....

I hit every ? in the starting area. The ? in the second area are now kicking my ass since I have numerous broken items. I went broke paying to break down items into component, I still can't make anything useful, and I wouldn't have the money to craft it anyway. The vendors I sell items to run out of money to buy my items in like 4 seconds. I don't even have saddle bags yet. I have no idea where I am going wrong here, Dark Souls 2 makes more sense than this game does (and it's easier).

To craft useful items, follow the scavenger hunt notes you find. You also only get substantial upgrades every few levels, the first set is level 8 I believe. The gear curve in this game is atrocious. I believe sets are "upgraded" every 5 levels or so, and you should keep each weapon for 2-3 levels before crafting or finding an upgrade. Sometimes longer.

To craft useful items, follow the scavenger hunt notes you find. You also only get substantial upgrades every few levels, the first set is level 8 I believe. The gear curve in this game is atrocious. I believe sets are "upgraded" every 5 levels or so, and you should keep each weapon for 2-3 levels before crafting or finding an upgrade. Sometimes longer.

How the hell do you upgrade weapons? :(

I have no idea how I've gone Full Retard on this game. I can manage Souls games and Eve Online just fine...

Shit if I know, I've never upgraded any of my set pieces.
I'm guessing they are new plans you unlock at a certain level.

I have no idea where I am going wrong here, Dark Souls 2 makes more sense than this game does (and it's easier).

Brief tangent - there are a pair of mods over on Nexusmods that rebind the Xbox 360 controller to be a little more DS2-like. I've been enjoying it; biggest change is light attack is R1 and heavy attack is R2. There's even a fix for lighting candles instead of looting (doing it by hand is pretty easy too, as the input is controlled by a single input.settings file).

Brief tangent - there are a pair of mods over on Nexusmods that rebind the Xbox 360 controller to be a little more DS2-like. I've been enjoying it; biggest change is light attack is R1 and heavy attack is R2. There's even a fix for lighting candles instead of looting (doing it by hand is pretty easy too, as the input is controlled by a single input.settings file).

This definitely interests me. After putting in so much time with those games, going back to face buttons is going to throw me off. Even swapping a single button still screws me up in Bloodborne.

How the hell do you upgrade weapons? :(

I have no idea how I've gone Full Retard on this game. I can manage Souls games and Eve Online just fine...

I *think* its pretty much just Witcher (green) gear that can be upgraded. I'm not talking about equipment with rune slots of course, which is a separate thing and really an enhancement rather than an upgrade. Example the Griffin gear set I have, soon after I crafted it I found a quest to get diagrams for an upgraded "v2" version.

They REALLY need some kind of storage in this game, a bank or something in Novigrad/Oxenfurt where you can store all your gear and crafting supplies.

I have soooooooooooo many freaking crafting supplies from plants/monsters and breaking down items that I don't know if I will need later on for something or not so I hang on to them and now I'm struggling to loot/sale items, constantly going overburden if I just pick up a few swords/armor while fighting bandits or doing a quest.

I honestly do not get why rpgs need to set a weight limit to games, especially when they cram it full of items that you don't "know" if you need, can sell or not (IE the books), etc. It'd be one thing to clearly know "I can sell this, don't need it for later" and another to just expect players to manage it all and not get frustrated.

One of the main issues with inventory is the way crafting "upgraded" items works. All of those upgraded armor sets you want in the the future? Superior Griffin/cat/bear, etc? ALL of the upgrades require the "Base" armor set, so that means you will need to "hang on" to ALL of those armors/weapons if you plan to upgrade them, that's a TON of weight and space taken up in your inventory that could all be easily solved with a simple bank or storage chest somewhere in the game.

They should learn a thing or two from DA:I in this regard.

Get all the books/notes and put it into something like a lore tab and don't have any of that cluttering up the inventory (especially something as important as usable items like potions that you actually need to use).

Have different tabs for craftables, alchemy, and food/drink/potions (am I the only one after first making potions looked through my "Alchemy" tab trying to find the alchemy potions I JUST made only to realize they aren't in there but are in usables instead?).

Then finally have a sort function to sort by weight, value, rarity, etc.

I solved that problem by installing a mod.

Q6OXIVd.png

I hit every ? in the starting area. The ? in the second area are now kicking my ass since I have numerous broken items. I went broke paying to break down items into component, I still can't make anything useful, and I wouldn't have the money to craft it anyway. The vendors I sell items to run out of money to buy my items in like 4 seconds. I don't even have saddle bags yet. I have no idea where I am going wrong here, Dark Souls 2 makes more sense than this game does (and it's easier).

How are you having this hard of a time? If all your shit's broken use a dropped weapon to kill some bandits then sell their loot.

How are you having this hard of a time?

Clearly bad game design :p

If all your shit's broken use a dropped weapon to kill some bandits then sell their loot.

Sure I will just pickup the weapons I can't carry carry because I am over encumbered since I can't sell stuff I am carrying since vendors only carry around like $3 and the game drops about seven million pieces of questionable crafting materials and new saddle bags cost almost 200 dildocoins (or whatever they are) :eek:

Regardless of how I ended up here, for me the game is less of an adventure game and more of a series of life lessons on why being poor is a downward spiral. When you run out of money, you have trouble recovering since you don't have money to fix things.

There is no reason for the game to have so many different types of crafting materials. It just turns things into a pain in the ass.

Back