The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Controls feel better, still a little clunky, almost on par with GTA4. Combat has improved, graphics are good still disappointed in lack of blood, smoke particles and environment particles. Good game so far, about 2 hours in and hoping it keeps me hooked.

Few things so far:

-VSync option in-game seems broken...either it's reversed (on = off and vice versa) or it's just flat-out busted.

-Foliage still looks really funky, like flat triangular green sprites when you get a bit of distance away.

-Total lack of blood / gore when fighting it seems. I was killing ghouls near the beginning, chopping off their heads, and barely anything. Kind of disappointing, it seemed a lot more gory in the earlier trailers.

Overall still a pretty nice looking game.

Yeah, if anything, I think the gore could be turned up to 11. It's at about a 7 right now. Blood flies and limbs fly, and there is some arterial spray (ok, I clearly have issues re-reading this), but not the visceral shit we saw back in the first few gameplay teasers.

Other than that, I'm hooked.

I'm playing at 1440p, everything set to max (including hairworks) except for shadows on low (which I actually sort of think looks better). Getting 55-70 FPS or so. Sometimes pops higher into the 80s, but I've yet to see it drop lower than 55.

Funny thing is, when I set everything up, I made sure to set the game to fullscreen (default is borderless window) and for the past four hours I've been playing, I couldn't help but feel like the game felt awful slow. Went and rechecked my settings, and somehow the fullscreen setting didn't stick (therefor no gsync). Corrected that, and god damn does it feel so much better.

I really have to force myself to go to bed now, but I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow.

Funny thing is, when I set everything up, I made sure to set the game to fullscreen (default is borderless window) and for the past four hours I've been playing, I couldn't help but feel like the game felt awful slow. Went and rechecked my settings, and somehow the fullscreen setting didn't stick (therefor no gsync). Corrected that, and god damn does it feel so much better.

What happened here?

I'm running full ultra 1440p everything max except motion blur is off. Current FPS is around 40-50 indoors, 30-40 outdoors. GTX 780 SLI

I'm really loving the combat right now. You can actually extend the skill ceiling with higher difficulty. At easiest it's a bit like playing Assassin's Creed, spammy and all visuals, but on Death March, once you get good, you can really feel how well crafted the combat in this game is. No frustration, all about rewarding the player for well timed hits and punishing hastiness and spam. I haven't gotten too far up the ability/skills tree, but it looks like it adds another well-balanced layer of depth. Bravo, CDPR!

I'm really loving the combat right now. You can actually extend the skill ceiling with higher difficulty. At easiest it's a bit like playing Assassin's Creed, spammy and all visuals, but on Death March, once you get good, you can really feel how well crafted the combat in this game is. No frustration, all about rewarding the player for well timed hits and punishing hastiness and spam. I haven't gotten too far up the ability/skills tree, but it looks like it adds another well-balanced layer of depth. Bravo, CDPR!

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing. It's easy to just spam the mouse buttons, but you'll die fairly quickly if you don't learn to not only parry/riposte, but dodge/roll correctly.

At 4k, all settings and postprocessing maxed but hairworks maxed I'm getting around 35-38 fps in the first area that's indoors in the bedroom. Stepping into the balcony I get 32-34 fps, I'm assuming it will dip below 30 when I'm actually outside with npcs and such. Only one 290 is getting utilized, so things should be pretty good whenever if that ever gets fixed. I'll start playing then (and after replaying TW1 & TW2).

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing. It's easy to just spam the mouse buttons, but you'll die fairly quickly if you don't learn to not only parry/riposte, but dodge/roll correctly.

Yeah, just having a separate dodge+roll did wonders for the feel and look to the combat, the rest is icing on the cake!

Wow, what a waste of a download. Downloaded it off of GoG and it tells me I don't have all of the files - as far as I can tell there are 7 + 1 patch. :mad: Trying the Galaxy route... :(

Having just played it for 20 minutes, its definitely a pretty game in some areas.....but IMHO not of the same next-gen visual fidelity as the early trailers. Vegetation, foliage and trees still look mediocre.Murders my 580 SLI at ultra details even at a piddly low resolution of 1680x1050.

i cannot stand the vegetation texture and foliage. super annoying and ugly.

hair works on all too?

Yeap, so far no real serious dips, maybe in the mid to upper 20s in the swamp area when I was fighting like 8 mobs at once. It's definitely playable (for me anyway), prob around console levels playable. I am going to play with some of the settings and figure out what causes the biggest hit so I can at least push 50 average.

I'm playing at 1440p, everything set to max (including hairworks) except for shadows on low (which I actually sort of think looks better). Getting 55-70 FPS or so. Sometimes pops higher into the 80s, but I've yet to see it drop lower than 55.

I really have to force myself to go to bed now, but I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow.

c'mon...you kiddin' right? :) I can't get over 50 fps, and usually stay in the low 40's and that's all on Ultra at 2560x1600 using my rig....50-70 fps???? That's a pretty large gap my friend....What's your secret?? Video card fairy dust??? I want some! :D

At 4k, all settings and postprocessing maxed but hairworks maxed I'm getting around 35-38 fps in the first area that's indoors in the bedroom. Stepping into the balcony I get 32-34 fps, I'm assuming it will dip below 30 when I'm actually outside with npcs and such. Only one 290 is getting utilized, so things should be pretty good whenever if that ever gets fixed. I'll start playing then (and after replaying TW1 & TW2).

I'm not sure what the hell happened, I was trying to see if I can get crossfire working through CCC and now, after undoing all changes and restarting my PC, I'm only getting like 22fps in the the same place with the same settings.

Hairworks gives me a 15-20 FPS hit, decided it's not worth it and turned it off. Running at a steady 50 avg outdoors now. This is probably the first game to actually tax my 780s so much. Finally pushing me to get that upgrade.

yea i'm having blast on death on march difficulty

Well this is weird....

I capped my fps to 30 and it feels so much more "smoother" to me then it did when I had it at 60 (but only avg'd about 48fps).

Playing @30 fps w/ HBAO, hairworks fully on, and everything set to ultra except for foliage distance set to high and the game feels nice and "smooth" to me, no more stuttering or janky feeling to the movement.

I still cant figure out to rebind the attack buttons for the controller. Anyone have any ideas?

Just used the GeForce experience optimization and I stay pinned at 60 fps with my 3570k at 4.2 and my 970 with a 100mhz oc.

It turns most things up all the way, I will get the exact details later. Played about 45 minutes... I like it so far, need more combat to learn the timing.

Is it safe to use CDKeys.com to buy this? I bought Mortal Kombat X on there with no issues. Gonna give it a try for this.

Anyone figure out how to get some grapeshot early on? Want to close off some of the monster nests.

Well this is weird....

I capped my fps to 30 and it feels so much more "smoother" to me then it did when I had it at 60 (but only avg'd about 48fps).

Playing @30 fps w/ HBAO, hairworks fully on, and everything set to ultra except for foliage distance set to high and the game feels nice and "smooth" to me, no more stuttering or janky feeling to the movement.

Damn dude...I think you're right...Does feel a little smoother..Don't know if it's placebo but it does feel smooth and doesn't play like 30 fps

Anyone else having trouble downloading the new Nvidia drivers 352.86 from Geforce experience? Mine is says it's downloading but the bar isn't moving.

Is it safe to use CDKeys.com to buy this? I bought Mortal Kombat X on there with no issues. Gonna give it a try for this.

Bought from them many times..there fine...Only thing is that you have to give them a phone number and they call u or text u a verification cade first, before you get your key.

Anyone else having trouble downloading the new Nvidia drivers 352.86 from Geforce experience? Mine is says it's downloading but the bar isn't moving.

I never use experience...download it manually and use the custom install....uncheck the 3d drivers...I have yet to know someone who uses the 3d mode....The installer will uninstall the previous driver/experience and update flawlessly....And u can designate an install folder rather then letting experience do it for u

The combat is pretty mediocre...again. Why cant western RPG devs do proper combat mechanics?

It's so clunky.

Last edited:
Well this is weird....

Always better to cap your fps to 30 or 60. Unless you got one of those g sync monitor.

The combat is pretty mediocre...again. What cant western RPG devs do proper combat mechanics?

It's so clunky.

Combat is very smooth and precise. Are you using controller? K/M? against what enemy? I'm on death march and the combat is very satisfying.

Anybody have success with the Notice Boards yet?
I picked like 10+ pieces of paper off them but there aren't any new quests in my Journal.

Not all notice board papers are quests, most of them are just villager's daily lives, and interesting places will be marked on your map with the question mark.

Damn dude...I think you're right...Does feel a little smoother..Don't know if it's placebo but it does feel smooth and doesn't play like 30 fps

Just means the GPU isn't struggling to keep up at 30, keeps the frame times dead on.

Well this is weird....

Ok, what the shit? I was locking to 30 earlier then unlocked it again.

This feels much better at 30fps. The combat also becomes much more responsive as well.

WTF? :confused:

so, how long until you guys realize and admit they just pulled a big randy :p in your faces, huh?

randyaliens.jpg

I was completely sold on this game the first time I started reading, "It's like Skyrim but with better combat". Who cares about the graphics as long as they are modern.

these new drivers are giving me a lot of trouble. crashed multiple times when alt tabbing, and once just browsing the internet. gonna try rolling back to 347.88...

Back