The Witcher 3 announced, open world, mounts, etc video inside.

Regardless, I have to agree with him, based on those screenshots it does look very Skyrim-esque.

Scandinavian mythos...Norse viking mythos.

Not trying to be a dick, but...what's the difference? Time period? I can't think of any other way these two could be meaningfully different.

Anyway, this announcement finally made me cave on the other two, which I had not previously played. Not bad for $15. Just started act II of the first game, and I'm enjoying it so far. If it picks up and gets a little more exciting in a short while, all the better.

Not trying to be a dick, but...what's the difference? Time period? I can't think of any other way these two could be meaningfully different.

There are quite a few different cultural and racial groups in Scandinavia.

I freaking loved the Witcher 2, can not wait for 3. I just built a solid rig, might have to re-install 2 and play again :)

I've finally started The Witcher 2 and I basically hate it. The combat is atrocious, really really bad. I much prefer the rhythm-based twist on the traditional RPG combat instead of the garbage, shallow, consolised button-mashing combat of the sequel. That's not to mention how the game was supposed to be PC-first but is built entirely around the gamepad and has stupid QTEs. I really can't understand the love that this game gets...is it because its DRM-free? Or is it because it has an above-average story that it gets the royal treatment regardless of how shit the gameplay is.

If The Witcher 3 continues in the same vein than I don't care about it.

I've finally started The Witcher 2 and I basically hate it. The combat is atrocious, really really bad. I much prefer the rhythm-based twist on the traditional RPG combat instead of the garbage, shallow, consolised button-mashing combat of the sequel. That's not to mention how the game was supposed to be PC-first but is built entirely around the gamepad and has stupid QTEs. I really can't understand the love that this game gets...is it because its DRM-free? Or is it because it has an above-average story that it gets the royal treatment regardless of how shit the gameplay is.

Hint. You can disable QTEs in options. Also play above Easy difficulty. Removes button mashing and forces you to use your brain in combat.

Hint. You can disable QTEs in options. Also play above Easy difficulty. Removes button mashing and forces you to use your brain in combat.

You can only disable "Hard QTEs", and I am playing on Normal. Perhaps I am spoiled by Dark Souls, but the combat just feels like complete shit, even with roll-spam and Signs thrown in. There is no way around that.

You can only disable "Hard QTEs", and I am playing on Normal. Perhaps I am spoiled by Dark Souls, but the combat just feels like complete shit, even with roll-spam and Signs thrown in. There is no way around that.

CDProjekt has already gotten enough flak about the small QTEs and they shouldnt make an appearance in Witcher 3. Also if normal is too easy, play on harder difficulty. Normal was plenty hard to me, but I'm not Dark Souls kind of guy. Gamepad is a matter of taste. Witcher 1 was keyboard and mouse only. Witcher 2 can be played effectively on both so I'm not sure what you are complaining.

Although I am confused about the "above average" story. How far are you in the game anyway?

Last edited:

Oh good, Plague hating ANOTHER game. The week is young. :D

I thought combat in TW2 was decent. Not Dark Souls quality, but better than most action oriented RPG's. I did play the game a bit differently than most, it seems.

Oh good, Plague hating ANOTHER game. The week is young. :D

Doesn't Plague hate every game at first? I recall him posting that Dark Souls was overrated and garbage as well until he put more time into it.

And if he thinks the combat is basically button-mashing, he should try the Arena and see how far he gets. :)

Doesn't Plague hate every game at first? I recall him posting that Dark Souls was overrated and garbage as well until he put more time into it.

And if he thinks the combat is basically button-mashing, he should try the Arena and see how far he gets. :)

Haha, yes, he does hate every game. Bitter old man. ;)

True. The Arena stuff was pretty hardcore when I first started messing around. I thought I was pro and got smacked down in a few minutes.

I've finally started The Witcher 2 and I basically hate it. The combat is atrocious, really really bad. I much prefer the rhythm-based twist on the traditional RPG combat instead of the garbage, shallow, consolised button-mashing combat of the sequel. That's not to mention how the game was supposed to be PC-first but is built entirely around the gamepad and has stupid QTEs.

I've just started playing 2 again (never finished it), but I seem to keep running out of steam at Flotsam. I try to like the combat, assuming that when I get better at it I'll like it more, but it's just not happening. Although I'm not sure how you can think the "rhythm-based" combat in the first game is any less shallow, whether you prefer it or not (I do). But 2 reminds me too much of Arkham Asylum, and I hated the combat in that game, although at least I completed the main story.

The QTEs were an inexcusable addition, I'm glad to hear they're going away in 3. But I expect I'd buy 3 regardless.

Let me go ahead and collectively state for everyone our reactions.....

Nnnnnnnghhhhh!

I've just started playing 2 again (never finished it), but I seem to keep running out of steam at Flotsam. I try to like the combat, assuming that when I get better at it I'll like it more, but it's just not happening. Although I'm not sure how you can think the "rhythm-based" combat in the first game is any less shallow, whether you prefer it or not (I do). But 2 reminds me too much of Arkham Asylum, and I hated the combat in that game, although at least I completed the main story.

The QTEs were an inexcusable addition, I'm glad to hear they're going away in 3. But I expect I'd buy 3 regardless.

The combat felt perfectly fine for a traditional RPG if you played the game in the top-down view.

That was predominately rage talking with Dark Souls.

At harder difficulties, the combat in The Witcher 2 feels even more off. Your blows seem to make very little impact, yet a parry knocks the opponent back 20 feet, usually out of range for any kind of decent counter-attack. Against monsters the combat is just swing, roll, swing, roll, swing, roll...

I'm up to Flotsam and while I like very much everything else about the game, I dread the combat. If it gets better later on and with more unlockable abilities I will persevere but if not I will just put the game down to Easy and treat the combat with the contempt I feel it deserves. I prefer Skyrim's combat to this, seriously. I'm not even trolling.

Haha, yes, he does hate every game. Bitter old man. ;)

Shut your mouth, young man. Back in my day *falls asleep*

Last edited:
Are you using bombs and traps? Don't hoard them, craft them whenever you get a chance, you're only supposed to use sword combat with 1-2 enemies at a time, not actually take on groups of them at once.

I dunno, I beat the game on my first playthrough on Hard and the combat felt fine to me, and that's before all the patches that improved it and nerfed the difficulty of some enemies. You just have to use all the tools at your disposal.

Considering dark souls is a straight console port through and through, it makes you wonder how he justifies making this statement about the Witcher 2 controls/combat "the garbage, shallow, consolised button-mashing combat of the sequel."

Lets not get into how TW2 looks a metric crap ton better then dark souls.

And it has an actual story line.

my only complaint in tw2 was with how op the traps were. i killed the last boss in 1 hit since i put down 40 odd foot traps down in one spot and waited for him to step on it.

and it may look a bit like skyrim but at leased it has a back ground story. and not the classic "you were in jail" back ground that all the elder scrolls games have.

Considering dark souls is a straight console port through and through, it makes you wonder how he justifies making this statement about the Witcher 2 controls/combat "the garbage, shallow, consolised button-mashing combat of the sequel."

Lets not get into how TW2 looks a metric crap ton better then dark souls.

Well, TBH, Dark Souls combat is much better than TW2, regardless of the port quality. I'm a big fan of TW2, but Dark Souls is, to me, a better game.

I always wondered why Geralt didnt have a horse in the first or second game, when in the books he would obviously travel with one. I don't even remember if Witcher 2 had a horse model at all.

Maybe I was the only one that was kinda underwhelmed by witcher 2? Did noone else feel it was short/the ending was kinda lame? Either way I am looking forward to following this as it develops, it was a fun game in its own way.

The pacing was really off for the last chapter but they added more content to it in a free patch. Although I haven't gone back to replay it yet (shelved that plan until I get a new GPU) with the new content. Also the second large chapter was branching and very different depending on your path.

As for overall length I feel (like always) this question depends on context and comparison. What are you comparing it too? For instance while it is short compared to Skyrim and DAO, two other popular games I have a favorable opinion of, you also need to keep in mind while they are all broadly RPGs they are stylistically very different. Take Skyrim for example when you could branch between the Stormcloaks and Empire compared to the branching The Witcher 2. One is much more generic than compared to the other and the difference in actual development hours would also reflect that.

To be honest I feel game length comparisons in general are very oversimplified and not telling (almost meaningless) especially because games tend to be lumped into rather broad categories. Really in general if you go open world games you tend to lose that more hand crafted unique feel for each area but you get more content (and thus length).

Can't wait for this! I really enjoyed the Witcher 2 but I finished it before they released the updated version.

Kinda glad the weather is gonna be crap this weekend, gives me an excuse to run through it. Lol

i didnt know they added more content to W2. I finished it before the new content came out; so I'll have to play through it again.

Back