The Windows 10 October 2018 Update Still Has Issues

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
“Redmond still can't get it right.” The Register is telling users to hold off on installing the re-released Windows 10 October 2018 update because it still has problems, which include mapped network drives not working for some users. According to a Microsoft advisory, those affected can create scripts to get around the issue, which will be sorted out "in the 2019 timeframe."

Microsoft does provide a number of possible workarounds for the loss of network drive connectivity – a bug it knew was present in build 1809 of Windows, but chose not to fix in the re-release. It suggests setting up script files, scheduled tasks, or changing group policy settings. That said, these mitigation steps may not last beyond a reboot, and may need to be reapplied.

yup its still broken I was able to go from 1709 on my Laptop to 1809.

However my desktop is stuck on 1709 after updating to 1809 it will just freeze on boot up at the windows logo.

And based on what searching I did on the net its a common problem.

And Megalith since this is a re release this news story deserves a double face palm picture.

wait is this suppose to be a surprise? I thought it was standard for something to get borked during update?

Reactions: Meeho
like this
They should make the LTSB version available for everyone. It comes without all the junk and doesn't install "feature" updates, like the recent "file deletion" feature or this "cannot mount network drive" feature.

Yeah it definitely put my main c:/users/xxxxxxx folder into a hidden category on 2 machines. I knew it wasn't gone since everything was still on my desktop so it had to still be mapped on the system drive. Weird stuff. I know some people fared worse having their files deleted.

Honestly with the number of windows versions released in the last 30 years, I'm surprised there haven't been more system breaking bugs considering the sheer numbers of potential hardware and software combinations. I wonder how much their focus on telemetry, data mining virtually every w10 user without their knowledge, and other monetization bs has misguided their core focus.

I wonder how long they'll keep this up before ditching the windows 10 forever mantra and releasing windows 11

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Wait, "Couldn't reconnect some shares" after reboot is not a Windows feature ? I have that since forever on every Windows :).

Just like how they've never fixed the issue where if a mapped network drive can't be communicated with, it blocks explorer.exe from proceeding until a timeout. That bug has existed for many versions. You can replicate it easy by mapping a drive to a server and then turning off that server. Reboot the PC and load My PC, see how long it takes for directories/icons/etc to load.

I haven't been able to get any of my share drives to work since the last update. I have a server in my house that I can't access any of the hard drives on since they broke the home group. They just keep making changes for no reason at all. Shit isn't broke don't fix it. Don't touch it, don't poke it , don't even look at it. Leave it the hell alone.

I actually started getting false positives on this as of last month. I had installed it on 3 desktops which had custom mapped departmental specific drives along with a script for other networked drives. The script is working properly but now we're getting false positives for the custom mapped drives. I say false because even though it shows a red x on them, when you click on them their fine plus we get a notification regarding them after every log in. More annoying than anything. At some point I may just end run it and modify the script to include the custom drives.

I haven't been able to get any of my share drives to work since the last update. I have a server in my house that I can't access any of the hard drives on since they broke the home group. They just keep making changes for no reason at all. Shit isn't broke don't fix it. Don't touch it, don't poke it , don't even look at it. Leave it the hell alone.

I had some issues a few months ago, as well as with the last 1809 update resetting some of the below changes. I am just going to copy my post from another site that I frequent with what I discovered, and what I did to fix it as I don't want to retype it all, so some of it may be out of context:

Okay, I learned some thing in the trek of tracking down why my machine all of sudden couldn't see itself or my home server (or my son's when it was turned on) on the network, and I hope it can help others. It was a couple of things, with one must have been reset during an update or something.

1) discovery was turned off under private network, once I turned that back on, it was able to see itself, but still not any other pc. (not sure how it ended up being off, as I was on prior)

2) I never had to turn on SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, but I do use SMB Direct (some people may need to turn on SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support)

3) There are 4 services that I stumbled across that need to be turned on, 2 automatic, 2 manual.

Computer Browser (Manual) - This one I suspect is just to allow the pc to take over if your main Computer Browser PC goes down. Probably can disable it, if you are having Computer browser issues as I mentioned above, or you want only 1 specific pc to be the browser, but for trouble shooting reasons, I would set it to manual. (this is only available if you have SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support turned on)

Function Discovery Provider Host (Automatic) - This has to be on for the next service to work.

Function Discovery Resource Publication (Automatic) - dependent on the above service

UPnP Device Host (Manual)

Make sure they are all set as above, and started (you can restart the pc if you chose)

Now, you need to make sure these are all set and running on ALL pc's. As the instructions I stumbled across during my search to why I all of a sudden lost the ability to see the network on my pc (and gave me 3 of the services I listed, but not the Function Discovery Provider Host), only instructed to do so on the pc that was having a problem seeing the other pc(s). However, after that didn't work, I went to my server, which could see ALL pc's I discovered that the two Function Discovery services listed above where set to automatic, but where not running (not sure why yet). So I started them (actually I started the Second one, as the first one was never talked about). That did nothing. So I saw that the Function Discovery Provider Host was not running, but it only gave me the option to turn it off (odd), and gave me a warning that it is required for the Function Discovery Resource Publication service. SO, I turned it off, and back on... still nothing.. so I turned off the Function Discovery Resource Publication again and back on again since the Function Discovery Provider Host wasn't showing as running the first time. Boom.. now all works as it should and my server and my pc can see each other as it should be.

So, long story short, check those services on all pc's. Even if they are running, stop them, and restart them.

One last thing, is you may need to redo your shares, and make sure you check your security settings/permissions

Last edited:
They should make the LTSB version available for everyone. It comes without all the junk and doesn't install "feature" updates, like the recent "file deletion" feature or this "cannot mount network drive" feature.

I get your point and agree with you. Windows 10 LTSC (as the 2019-onward versions are now titled) is the equivalent of having Windows 7 SP1 in 2011, once all that's needed are security updates for the next 5+ years.

Though, it is available for everyone through eBay, reddit, Craigslist, etc, and also some Microsoft Solution Providers (though expect to pay through the teeth).

I think a person can also legitimately perpetually reset the 180 trial days using one of the KMS free-trial activation servers provided by Microsoft. And I think that there are scripts that run in the background and auto-renew the 180 trial period every day for a person, so that it never runs out.

https://hardforum.com/threads/windo...l-more-built-in-apps.1970071/#post-1043895057

m$ also decided to fracture the os. Based on hardware/software criteria, you may or may not be offered 1809. I just configured 2 dell laptops yesterday and both were offered 1803 but not 1809. Also don't bother updating through the settings app unless you got 6-7 hours to burn. Depending on how much data or the programs installed its probably faster to reinstall. Also, in the future m$ might deprecate your hardware and you'll be sol so you have that to look forward to. I have a client with 6 Dell Optiplex' with HD 4200's, owner won't be happy about that.

Have you tried searching for the PC with \\yourpc? If it shows up you can then map it from the navigation pane. Also try setting these services to Automatic; Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fi289.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fll240%2FDarkChilde00%2FIDFP.jpg

Wow. Thanks goes out to Microsoft and their piss-poor QA for making me a shitload of money these past 2 months. Due to the fact that I stockpile W7U OEM disc's and these fubar'ed updates, a number of my clientele have requested downgrades to W7, over twice the amount that I had to do when W8 came out. :ROFLMAO:

Thx for the extra cashflow Microsoft, just in time for the holidays.

Maybe they need some fresh blood in their software engineering department. Since Windows 10 came out they can barely get any updates to function correctly. Sad state of affairs over there. :(

I wonder how long they'll keep this up before ditching the windows 10 forever mantra and releasing windows 11
I'd lay money they drop the numbering in the future and just call it Windows. That's of course assuming Nadella changes his mind on Windows and it somehow rejoins his longterm vision for the company - right now it's been sunset internally and we're seeing a decline managed poorly.

Last edited:
Update locked up my Win 10 home server :(. I must have done updates and forgot to turn off auto updates last time I got on it. I had to hard power off, then upon reboot it "Updated" and proceeded to cause crashing..... I sure hope no other issues or crashing arise.

Add me to the Frozen systems. Tried to installed 1809 last night as it was finally offered in the targeted ring. It had multiple reboots. First time I seen a updater go backwards, Saw it say 52% then roll back to the 40's and climb again. I got tired of waiting for it to finish and shut to monitor off and left. Just came back to it and the system was locked. I hit the reset button and the update rolled back. Good going Microshaft

Last week I performed a system file check to make sure all my files were in good standing and it passed.

Kinda hope we see some lawsuits out of this. maybe MS would think twice about shafting the end-user. They don't seem to care about loosing face as they already have your money.

For anyone interested, you can disable automatic Windows 10 updates, among a million other things, with this app: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

True, but for some reason after a while the updates or some other spy thing or malware thing (like "metro" apps that auto install without knowledge or consent) get auto activated again.
Don't you need this update for the RTX cards?
Only for the raytracing effects, which as of right now, make not much of a difference visually and take a very very big performance hit.

I bought a key on Ebay last week. Loading it today and that's it until support runs out in 2026. No more "feature" upgrades.

They've screwed over the LTSB branch as well, you can use that OS for 10 years until a new chip comes out that the version you are running doesn't have support for. So if they release a new CPU that requires Windows version X and you are on LTSB you have to either a) use an older CPU or b) re-image to a newer LTSB.

My PC doesn't seem to want to update past 1803 anyway, but since I just purchase an RTX 2080ti, I want to check out the shiny new features.

I managed to download an 1809 ISO while it was out and have done a couple clean installs without any issues. Updating an install is an issue.

Guys, they just need more ad revenue and they'll be able to straighten this out. I don't understand why people can't have some patience. 2019 isn't that far away and nobody uses computers for anything important anyways.

Back