Windows 10's Next Release Will Let You Uninstall More Built-In Apps

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In addition to the updated Spectre mitigation patch, Windows 10 19H1 will reportedly allow users to easily remove certain apps, such as 3D Viewer and Groove Music, by right clicking on the relevant Start menu shortcut and selecting “uninstall.” Some fear the apps could reappear, however, as the OS has allegedly reinstalled apps without consent in the past.

With Windows 10’s next update, Microsoft is giving you more choice over which apps you want installed. Some apps, such as Camera, Microsoft Edge, and the Store, are still essential parts of Windows 10 and can’t be removed. If you don’t want to wait, you can uninstall almost all of Windows 10’s built-in apps today by running some hidden PowerShell commands.

It will let you uninstall or will it uninstall everything for you upon installation?

In addition to the updated Spectre mitigation patch, Windows 10 19H1 will reportedly allow users to easily remove certain apps, such as 3D Viewer and Groove Music, by right clicking on the relevant Start menu shortcut and selecting “uninstall.” Some fear the apps could reappear, however, as the OS has allegedly reinstalled apps without consent in the past.

With Windows 10’s next update, Microsoft is giving you more choice over which apps you want installed. Some apps, such as Camera, Microsoft Edge, and the Store, are still essential parts of Windows 10 and can’t be removed. If you don’t want to wait, you can uninstall almost all of Windows 10’s built-in apps today by running some hidden PowerShell commands.
Camera, never heard of, never used edge, and never visited the store. Essential eh?
How about they let you strip it down to barebones?!

It would be good if they let you uninstall everything leaving only Linux... Oh wait... Just install Linux to start with!!!

Written by a proud Linux user for the past 3 years! Debian!!!

It would be good if they let you uninstall everything leaving only Linux... Oh wait... Just install Linux to start with!!!

If I could run all my games on Linux I would of switched a while ago. Of course running 7 would be good but they have games that are 10 only. Maybe forcing dx12 which in turns forces you into 10? Not nice.

Been 100% Linux at home for about 2 years now (Mint/Ubuntu).

I never thought it would happen, but it actually works great. Even for gaming. I had toyed around with Linux now and then for years but all of a sudden it's really matured into a serious contender.

If I could run all my games on Linux I would of switched a while ago.

It would be nice if my Playstation could play all my Nintendo games.

There are more good Linux-native games now than I have time to play and developers seem to be moving to Linux/Vulkan. It's a viable gaming platform. Windows 8/10 is a trainwreck and I'm not going to be forced to use it to maintain video game backwards compatibility.

It's already pretty easy to unload most of those apps with powershell, likely easier than the buried menus MS will probably utilize.

I'm hoping M$ gets over the AdWare OS phase before I have to switch away from Win7.

I will probably just go Linux, and put the Win7 machines on the net with the Win98 machines. :(

Vulcan works Way better than DX11, I'm betting DX12 too.

Been using CCleaner since forever to uninstall all the unwanted programs on W10. Mostly they never come back. Also found a hack to turn off Edge as I never use it. Of course new builds always want to undo everything so it takes a little time to set things up again.

Is there a way to strip down win10 for gaming and get max performance? Especially pertinent as I am holding out for a new build. My current rig is strugglicious. I gave up bc every update brings new drama.

Wow. Microsoft is actually putting out an update that people want. That's how things should always be. Now make Edge and Cortana easily uninstall-able. Neither are essential for Windows 10.

They should just sell enterprise as pro+ since it has none of the bloat

Enterprise is an improvement over Home and Pro (both of which aren't suitable for any use, IMO), but it's still not as good as LTSC. LTSB / LTSC is equivalent of having Windows 7 SP1 in 2011 - the most solid, refined, and complete Windows OS available, guaranteed to be stable and reliable for many years to come without any risky updates.

Is there a way to strip down win10 for gaming and get max performance? Especially pertinent as I am holding out for a new build. My current rig is strugglicious. I gave up bc every update brings new drama.

The cleanest way to accomplish that is to buy a license for the LTSB / LTSC edition of Windows 10 off eBay, reddit, or Craigslist.

The cleanest way to accomplish that is to buy a license for the LTSB / LTSC edition of Windows 10 off eBay, reddit, or Craigslist.

This really raises the question, why haven't i seen LTSB keys for sale on [H] Forum's For Sale/For Trade section?

This really raises the question, why haven't i seen LTSB keys for sale on [H] Forum's For Sale/For Trade section?
Because they are meant for enterprise and have additional purchase requirements. Any LTSB key you buy is not valid per the eula from those places anyway.

That would only be an apt analogy if Nintendo could ALSO play every single game on Playstation.

I was going to say Xbox, but then I realized Microsoft dosen't have any worthwhile exclusives.

Same thing with DX12. Developers are going Vulkan.

I wish windows 10 had the old windows update feature, you know, the one that allowed you to pick what you didn’t want to install.

The way it updates now is shady as fuck in my opinion, plus my antivirus notifies me of any windows updates, eset, and it lists all the updates available, however, windows itself only downloads a couple, all windows related. The other updates never get downloaded, so wtf.

Because they are meant for enterprise and have additional purchase requirements. Any LTSB key you buy is not valid per the eula from those places anyway.

Any EULA clause claiming that people cannot resell their licenses of any type is invalid and ignorable - in the European Union, in the USA, and in Australia. Also, presumably in every other country in the world, but those 3 aforementioned regions are the ones that had the matter go to their highest courts and passed top-court rulings on the matter:

EU Top Court Says, Yes, You Can Resell Your Software, Even If The Software Company Says You Can't

US Supreme Court affirms first-sale doctrine, rules that buyers of foreign copyrighted works may resell them in the United States without the copyright holder's permission

The US Software & Information Industry Association had a fit following that ruling:

The ruling for Kirtsaeng will send a tremor through the publishing industries, harming both U.S. businesses and students around the world," the group's general counsel, Keith Kuperschmid said in a statement. "Today's decision will create a strong disincentive for publishers to market different versions and sell copies at different prices in different regions. The practical result may very well be that consumers and students abroad will see dramatic price increases or entirely lose their access to valuable U.S. educational resources created specifically for them.

The ruling was in 2013. What they alleged would happen doesn't appear to have happened.

So, buy all the 3rd-party reseller Windows 10 LTSB / LTSC that you want, and sell your LTSB / LTSC licenses all you want. It's the legal right of every person to do so.

Also, here's a Microsoft-certified Microsoft Solution Provider in California reselling Windows 10 LTSB licenses, albeit for the hefty price of $295 USD: https://www.trustedtechteam.com/products/microsoft-windows-10-enterprise-ltsb

Here's that company's MSP page to show they're certified by Microsoft.

Last edited:
Whats the formula for number of shitware apps + connection speed to determine when your device would never stop downloading/updating?

Any EULA clause claiming that people cannot resell their licenses of any type is invalid and ignorable - in the European Union, in the USA, and in Australia. Also, presumably in every other country in the world, but those 3 aforementioned regions are the ones that had the matter go to their highest courts and passed top-court rulings on the matter:

EU Top Court Says, Yes, You Can Resell Your Software, Even If The Software Company Says You Can't

US Supreme Court affirms first-sale doctrine, rules that buyers of foreign copyrighted works may resell them in the United States without the copyright holder's permission

The US Software & Information Industry Association had a fit following that ruling:

The ruling was in 2013. What they alleged would happen doesn't appear to have happened.

So, buy all the 3rd-party reseller Windows 10 LTSB / LTSC that you want, and sell your LTSB / LTSC licenses all you want. It's the legal right of every person to do so.

Also, here's a Microsoft-certified Microsoft Solution Provider in California reselling Windows 10 LTSB licenses, albeit for the hefty price of $295 USD: https://www.trustedtechteam.com/products/microsoft-windows-10-enterprise-ltsb

Here's that company's MSP's page to show they're certified by Microsoft.

Damn that’s a legit informative post.

Its pretty sad that LTSC is what pro should be. Businesses don't put up with MS bullshit. So they have to give them the no BS version of windows 10.

My only Win10 system is a test box with 1803 Pro. I used WinLite10 for install, Blackbird to remove apps and Windows Store, and a script to remove Edge. I disabled the WinUpdate service and used AntiBeacon to block all known telemetry servers in the hosts file.

That system has given me the only BSODs that I've seen (without overcooking) in years. I can't say I'm at all tempted to put 10 on another system.

FFS MS, Why don't you give us an OS w/o the bloat and an option to lock drivers from being updated when the OS updates!?

We just need to be more enterprising. From the LTSB description page:

"The Long-term Servicing Channel is available only in the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB edition. This edition of Windows doesn’t include a number of applications, such as Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, Cortana (though limited search capabilities remain available), Microsoft Mail, Calendar, OneNote, Weather, News, Sports, Money, Photos, Camera, Music, and Clock. These apps are not supported in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB edition, even of you install by using sideloading."

No edge, no cortana, no m$ store, no forced update beta-testing - but still the typos we love from M$. It's the Win9 DX12 dream OS. ;-)

We just need to be more enterprising. From the LTSB description page:

"The Long-term Servicing Channel is available only in the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB edition. This edition of Windows doesn’t include a number of applications, such as Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Store, Cortana (though limited search capabilities remain available), Microsoft Mail, Calendar, OneNote, Weather, News, Sports, Money, Photos, Camera, Music, and Clock. These apps are not supported in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB edition, even of you install by using sideloading."

No edge, no cortana, no m$ store, no forced update beta-testing - but still the typos we love from M$. It's the Win9 DX12 dream OS. ;-)

Judging by what I've read Microsoft Store, Edge browser, and I think some other UWP programs components can be added to LTSB / LTSC via a script:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1317186-store-apps-on-ltsb-now-possible-the-best-of-both-worlds/

http://virtualcustoms.net/showthrea...rosoft-Store-and-Apps-on-Windows-10-LTSB-2016

Though, I'm not sure I'd want any those things in my LTSC. Maybe Microsoft Store for some as-of-yet unidentified free demo to try out. But, I suspect that I'd be much happier than any Microsoft-published game could make me to not have Microsoft Store on my computer.

Microsoft tries to scare people away from obtaining Windows 10 LTSC because Microsoft knows LTSC is what a large portion, maybe virtually all of the home OS market wants. But, since LTSC doesn't have all the monetized bloatware that Microsoft tries to make money off of, Microsoft tries to steer people away from LTSC. Microsoft's weaselly disingenuousness can be smelled every time I try to leave a comment on this article saying something positive about LTSC, and it doesn't get published by Microsoft. Microsoft are trying to hide the fact that people genuinely want and are positively benefited by LTSC over all other Windows 10 versions, and that people don't want the messes that are Home and Pro, or even Enterprise (to a much smaller extent).

Last edited:
And also let you keep your personal documents intact, right?

Microsoft tries to scare people away from obtaining Windows 10 LTSC because Microsoft knows LTSC is what a large portion, maybe virtually all of the home OS market wants. But, since LTSC doesn't have all the monetized bloatware that Microsoft tries to make money off of, Microsoft tries to steer people away from LTSC. Microsoft's weaselly disingenuousness can be smelled every time I try to leave a comment on this article saying something positive about LTSC, and it doesn't get published by Microsoft.
What a PR shitpiece.

Can we remove Candy Crush?

No, Candy Crush, like One Drive are considered essential to the operating system. Without these components, most features of the OS will simply stop working.

I've been using 10AppsManager(now 2.0.0.0) downloaded from Major Geeks for several years now. One button click(if you are aggressive), and now close to 40 crapware products deleted. Alternatively, you can kill them one at a time.

Back