The Wii U Thread (that doesn't suck)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
Has anyone went all digital on Wii U. I bought a 1tb drive for it and was thinking od doing this.

I don't own a single disc-based game for it. The only thing I use the optical drive for is old Wii games that I occasionally play on it. I do most of my speculative gaming on the PC. When I buy a game for the Wii-U it's something I'm expecting, and willing to pay full price for on release day. So no reason to use physical media, or hunt down used copies.

Once I connect the hdd to my wii u via the Y cable, does it automatically start saving to the external Hdd?

I haven't used an HD on my WiiU yet -- but I remember poking around in the menu and I seem to recall an option somewhere to tell it to use external storage....

^ gif made me LOL

Here are some more. :D

wYE.gif

wWd.gif

wWL.gif

wX6.gif

Has anyone went all digital on Wii U. I bought a 1tb drive for it and was thinking od doing this.

No way, I can buy a launch day game, beat it in a week, and then sell it on eBay for 40-45 before shipping. Digital sucks unless it's a game you want to play forever, not to mention I like retro and don't really fancy buying all this stuff again in 15 years.

Anyone play or playing W101?

The game is so chaotic, and really kicks your ass, but it's excellent.

I really love the corky story, and how they deliver it.

I don't own a single disc-based game for it. The only thing I use the optical drive for is old Wii games that I occasionally play on it. I do most of my speculative gaming on the PC. When I buy a game for the Wii-U it's something I'm expecting, and willing to pay full price for on release day. So no reason to use physical media, or hunt down used copies.

So...How do you trade games in??? Can't ebay it as the games are attached to your user account. So basically you by games, system get old, time for trade in, you =no credit?
Really didn't think that one out, did you?

When we get rid of physical media and settle on shabby downloads for games and movies because its too hard to pop a disk in, we as the human race need to be wiped out.

I kind of like those VUDU dingdongs that buy movies through them. Don't own anything, so server gets wiped, company goes out of business, you're screwed. lol Not to mention not one of these streaming companys can match Blu-Ray.

My point. Quit being a lazy drone, buy the disc, get off lazy ass, put disc in that YOU ACTUALLY FUCKING OWN. :p :D

So...How do you trade games in??? Can't ebay it as the games are attached to your user account. So basically you by games, system get old, time for trade in, you =no credit?

When we get rid of physical media and settle on shabby downloads for games and movies because its too hard to pop a disk in, we as the human race need to be wiped out.

I kind of like those VUDU dingdongs that buy movies through them. Don't own anything, so server gets wiped, company goes out of business, you're screwed. lol Not to mention not one of these streaming companys can match Blu-Ray.

My point. Quit being a lazy drone, buy the disc, get off lazy ass, put disc in that YOU ACTUALLY FUCKING OWN. :p :D

Or you know, not everybody does trade in? The majority of the Used game industry is bullshit, and i wish it would be killed of. Frankly thats part of why i wanted what microsoft was going to do.

Selling/Buying used games does DIRECTLY impact the dev as they get NO revenue from it. Only shitty companies like Gamestop who give $5 for a brand new game then turn around and sell it for $40 get the profit, and that is in no way the right way to support the industry with dev layoffs happening all the time and studios even closing.

Calm down buddy, not everyone cares about trading in copies. Eventually we will be at a point where used physical copies will cease to exist. Physical media in the 30-50GB range will take a very long time to install, I believe the read rate is around 36-72Mbps, that could take around an hour to install one game. PC is almost 95% digital downloads now.

I don't buy games that I don't want to keep. I have over 200 games in Steam, I have all digital on my Wii-U, and I have an emulator collection with every game I've ever owned on systems that no longer work. I don't get rid of good games, and I don't buy bad ones. I also refuse to buy used copies of games, because I don't trust anyone to treat their discs as well as they should. I've picked up the odd used game in the past, and the discs are always scraped to hell and back. I always wonder how hard it is to keep it in its damned case when it's not in use. :mad: :rolleyes:

So, there you have it. I keep my games. Also, I play my games mostly on the PC. The console is supplementary, I buy whatever the current Nintendo console is to go with my PC, get all the first party games, and any anomaly of a third party game worth picking up. Keeping everything digital, makes it much easier to keep track of. I have kids, I don't want them touching discs. Problem solved. I have a Steam account for each one of them. I can buy a four pack with the click of a button, and we can just pick up and start playing together. It doesn't come down to laziness. It's a choice, and one that I haven't had a single complaint with. I also have a day job, secondary hobby-jobby, wife, kids, house, etc. Time is truly in short supply for me. If I'm spending too much time on setting up, purchasing, etc. for my hobby, that's time I won't get to DO my hobby. :D I also trickle down old consoles and PCs to my kids.

When I was a kid, I used to LOVE going to Software Etc. or the like with my mom or dad, buying an Amiga or PC game with money that I saved for who-knows-how-long, stare at the box and manual all the way home, imagine the screenshots in motion, etc. There was a definite cool aspect of going to buy, and then eventually install/play it. It was a whole ceremony. The smell of the box, the art, the books, trinkets, even paper-based copy protection schemes were novel. (decoder wheels... :D ) Anyway, I do understand the physical copy thing, but it kinda wore off for me over the years, things got less interesting box-wise, and there's a lot less that I want sitting around my house now. If you've ever seen a Psygnosis game box, you'll know what I'm talking about. A 10"x10" thick cardboard box, with glossy Roger Dean (think YES album covers) artwork. They were something to collect and display. Little CD/DVD type cases do nothing for me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=psy...6YHgDw&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1628&bih=831

Last edited by a moderator:

You do know who owns VUDU right? Wal-mart. Do you see them going out of business anytime soon? Do you know that the vast majority of VUDU users ARE Wal-mart regulars?

Ultra-violet was made in conjunction with several companies, including Wal-mart. Its heavily backed and the digital revolution is well on its way, sorry. We are the few who hold onto discs, the majority has gone to downloads.

I however, will stick with physical media for my console games. I like my Wii-U and will continue to support buying the physical game. At least Nintendo games have FAR less bugs than anyone else's.

We need a temp ban or junior system here for all the damn thread derailing.

Now Wii U related

Wii U eShop

Midtown Crazy Race (Jose Varela, $4.99) — This is pitched as "tribute to the car games from late 90s", with bold promises of an open world, seven cars, realistic physics and plenty of challenges. Unfortunately, it fails to actually deliver as a good game, and we were extremely critical of this one in our Midtown Crazy Race review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mega Man 6 (Capcom, $4.99) — Completing the NES set on Wii U, this was the end of an era and even introduced armour into the formula. Aside from that change, however, it was a safe effort and not one that lived up to some of the glorious earlier entries; nevertheless we gave this a reasonable recommendation in our Mega Man 6 review.

Life Force (Konami, $4.99) — An iconic shooter from Konami, this title alternates from horizontal to vertical stages and hits plenty of its marks — attractive 8-bit visuals, memorable tunes, tight gameplay and the option for two-player co-op. It's also pretty darn difficult, but that didn't stop it receiving an 8/10 in our Life Force review.

Wii U eShop Retail Download

Disney Infinity (Disney Interactive, free) — In a surprising move, last year's début for Disney's toy-driven game arrives on the eShop as a free download, potentially as a means to drive interest in the upcoming sequel. Though gamers will need to pick up the game's portal and some figures, it's fascinating that the download itself has no cost. We were rather impressed with this in our Disney Infinity review last year.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Nano Assault NEO [Shin'en Multimedia, $7.49 until 11th September, normally $9.99)

Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, $3.99 until 11th September, normally $7.99)

Abyss (EnjoyUp Games, $1.49 until 10th September, normally $1.99)

I only buy some games physically, but the rest are digital.

Only the games I want to collect I buy physically.

Problem with these DW type games they get very tedious. I'll probably pick it up, but at a discount price.

That is how I feel. The DW games are fun in small doses, but after a few hours it all seems so monotonous. Should be a great pickup for $30 and hopefully they keep it fresh feeling with all the different characters.

I'm sad that we glossed over how amazing this gif is.

It really is an excellent gif. I saw it somewhere else recently. :D There was more to it also. Like Mario punching him in the face to make him eat fruit.

So I beat WF101 and I loved it!

It had its problems, like the camera being my biggest annoyance.

It was pretty long for an action game, I clocked in about 17hrs, but played around 22hrs. There's no way I will be getting 100%, lol.

The Gamepad play is pretty awesome, just played MK8 while watching Football.

For a thread on the Wii U (that doesn't suck) it sure has a lot of non Wii U gifs and derails.

I wouldn't call that a non Wii U gif. I call it funny and marginally Nintendo related. We're flexible in here. :D

Watch Dogs release in the US set for Nov. 18th.

Ubisoft's press release notes users can bring up a "detailed and interactive" map of Chicago on the GamePad, and that off-TV play is also supported.

I am now totally addicted to monster Hunter 3 ultimate, which I got on sale from the eshop during the Capcom sale for 15 bucks.

[L]imey;1041084629 said:
I am now totally addicted to monster Hunter 3 ultimate, which I got on sale from the eshop during the Capcom sale for 15 bucks.

I'm considering buying a wii u. What games make the system worth buying?

Also, why the fuck aren't the pokemon games on wii u?

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a wii u. What games make the system worth buying?

Also, why the fuck aren't the pokemon games on wii u?

Nintendo first party games.

Also, because Nintendo is cruel. I for one am looking forward to a new pokemon stadium! Haven't played since 2.

[L]imey;1041084629 said:

Awesome game. No Wii U here so I have it on the 3DS, but I am looking forward to MH4U with online MP!

Awesome game. No Wii U here so I have it on the 3DS, but I am looking forward to MH4U with online MP!

So you're telling me there is a MH game for wii u, and another one on the way?! If this is indeed the case then the Wii U has already beat the xb1 and ps4.

So you're telling me there is a MH game for wii u, and another one on the way?! If this is indeed the case then the Wii U has already beat the xb1 and ps4.

No, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (the one coming Q1 2015) is only on 3DS.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (the current one) is on 3DS and Wii U. Wii U has online play, 3DS only has local MP. But you can do cross-system MP locally with a Wii U and a 3DS, and also you can transfer your saves between the Wii U and 3DS. Other than the graphics the games are identical on both systems.

Apparently there is some way to use a Wii U as some sort of transfer station to play the 3DS version online, but I don't know much about it because I don't have a Wii U (yet).

Here we go. A more civilized place to discuss what is possibly the best console available currently.

I'm just about to start playing Bayonetta 1. Never played it originally, and since I've played through the second one twice now, I think it's time to give it a whirl. Think I'll start it after I wrap up a project tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to the digital rerelease of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii U. I only played the first one for the Gamecube, and that was a good'er. Looks like Nintendo is also planning on improving the Wii U's Wii b/c for select Wii games (no more booting to the Wii emulation mode then launching games).

Nice! I could see the full Wii menu being useful in some circumstances, but most of the time, I just want to pop in my Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword discs and play. That will be a welcome update!

I'm looking forward to the digital rerelease of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii U. I only played the first one for the Gamecube, and that was a good'er. Looks like Nintendo is also planning on improving the Wii U's Wii b/c for select Wii games (no more booting to the Wii emulation mode then launching games).

Is the trilogy going to be resolution upscaled? Very exciting if so!

J3RK, smack me, I went back to the other thread again.... sigh....

Anyway

LOVE MY WII-U!!!!!!

Cant wait for the new 3DS as well, supposedly has great support ideals for Wii-U items too, and cross platform virtual titles now :D

Back