The Wii U Thread (that doesn't suck)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
I'm done with the other thread. Had all of the numbnutsery I can stand. Looking forward to getting home today and firing up Wind Waker HD on the Wii U. Just got to the Earth Temple last night. Great, great game.

I'm done with the other thread. Had all of the numbnutsery I can stand. Looking forward to getting home today and firing up Wind Waker HD on the Wii U. Just got to the Earth Temple last night. Great, great game.

Buy galaxy 2 from Eshop its 9.99

Nice! This is an excellent game. All of the subtle updates they did, really rounded out the original well. I sail a lot more in this one due to the new sail. I also like the aiming, inventory, etc.

Yar, I've finally got around to starting this game (got it through the MK8 promotion). Very solid title, kinda kicking myself for not playing a copy of it through all these years since the original launch.

I started this game up with my Gamecube over the weekend. Honestly I am having trouble cuddling up to it the way I did Ocarina of Time. It's okay and all, but I wouldn't describe it as "great". Maybe it gets better later on. I just landed at Dragon Roost Island last night. Maybe OOT spoiled me. It's the only other Zelda game I ever played excepting Wind Waker and a little bit of Link to the Past on SNES.

I started this game up with my Gamecube over the weekend. Honestly I am having trouble cuddling up to it the way I did Ocarina of Time. It's okay and all, but I wouldn't describe it as "great". Maybe it gets better later on. I just landed at Dragon Roost Island last night. Maybe OOT spoiled me. It's the only other Zelda game I ever played excepting Wind Waker and a little bit of Link to the Past on SNES.

I haven't played OOT. Played the original Legend of Zelda on Gamecube two years ago or so and didn't finish it. Also played Link to the Past back when it was released on the SNES. My Zelda experience is pretty limited so that's the perspective from which my opinion of Wind Waker comes. Looks like I have a lot of Zelda ahead of me when I get my new 3DS in a few weeks.

Mario Galaxy 2 on the eShop for $10.00.. For anyone who hasn't played it, $10.00 is a steal. It's a Wii game, has some aliasing etc but Mario Galaxy 2 is easily one of the best Mario Games ever.. And still better than Super Mario 3D World

Metroid Prime trilogy coming to the eShop on the 29th too!

Grabbed Galaxy 2 a little bit ago. Loved the first one, and this looks like a refined version. Nice! Not sure why I never grabbed it on the Wii.

Edit: My four year old daughter just hopped right into it, and waltzed right through the first few levels. I know she's played a bit of Super Mario 3D World, but I didn't realize she had gotten that good, or would adapt so fast to the Wiimote. :cool: Now I'll have to give it a whirl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grabbed Galaxy 2 a little bit ago. Loved the first one, and this looks like a refined version. Nice! Not sure why I never grabbed it on the Wii.

Edit: My four year old daughter just hopped right into it, and waltzed right through the first few levels. I know she's played a bit of Super Mario 3D World, but I didn't realize she had gotten that good, or would adapt so fast to the Wiimote. :cool: Now I'll have to give it a whirl.

I'm going to buy it this weekend and give it a try. Ugh...don't want to go to work today Wind Waker is calling me.

I started this game up with my Gamecube over the weekend. Honestly I am having trouble cuddling up to it the way I did Ocarina of Time. It's okay and all, but I wouldn't describe it as "great". Maybe it gets better later on.

The game actually gets worse as you go. They didn't have time to to finish one of the dungeons so you get to sail around doing mindless junk to get tri-force pieces. It does end well with the last boss.

Has anyone noticed Wii U Pro controller stock looking low or heard of a redesign/stoppage on the controller?

I've been waiting for stock to come in at my local Walmart (I'm in the Arctic so waiting on peripherals is common), however, looking at online stock for Best Buy and Futureshop, I'm not seeing any available. Might just be a Canadian issue too.

I haven't played OOT. Played the original Legend of Zelda on Gamecube two years ago or so and didn't finish it. Also played Link to the Past back when it was released on the SNES. My Zelda experience is pretty limited so that's the perspective from which my opinion of Wind Waker comes. Looks like I have a lot of Zelda ahead of me when I get my new 3DS in a few weeks.

Highly recommend playing OoT and Twilight Princess. Those two and Wind Waker are my personal favorites. Good plan to play OoT on the 3DS. The enhancements, while mostly subtle, are definitely nice.

The game actually gets worse as you go. They didn't have time to to finish one of the dungeons so you get to sail around doing mindless junk to get tri-force pieces. It does end well with the last boss.

Some people just don't like it. It teeters as my favorite back an forth. I absolutely love it. I do prefer the Wii U version though. They made it much easier to sail around, and a bit faster, so you don't have to spend as much time doing just that if you don't want to. I think they may have also cleaned up the triforce missions a bit. They seemed to take less time than before, though I couldn't put my finger on it. I'd say the experience on the Wii U version is highly refined, and I already like the GC one in the first place. For someone on the fence, I'd probably recommend the Wii U one over the GC.

Has anyone noticed Wii U Pro controller stock looking low or heard of a redesign/stoppage on the controller?

I've been waiting for stock to come in at my local Walmart (I'm in the Arctic so waiting on peripherals is common), however, looking at online stock for Best Buy and Futureshop, I'm not seeing any available. Might just be a Canadian issue too.

I haven't noticed that here in WA. I haven't yet picked one up, but they beckon every time I walk by one.

Highly recommend playing OoT and Twilight Princess. Those two and Wind Waker are my personal favorites. Good plan to play OoT on the 3DS. The enhancements, while mostly subtle, are definitely nice.

Which version of Twilight Princess? Do I have to use motion controls on the Wii version?

Which version of Twilight Princess? Do I have to use motion controls on the Wii version?

It's only on the Wii as far as I know. The motion controls aren't bad at all. I've seen some people complain about them, but they work just fine. Most things can be achieved easily by target-locking first. (like bow-shots, clawshot uses, etc.) Much easier to lock first than to try and aim at everything on the screen. The sword swinging does not require one to flail about the room either. You simply flick the controller this way or that in very subtle strokes. No need to whip it around. I sometimes wonder if the people who complain about it stand up in front of the TV like you would for a Wii Sports game, and play using the actions they're performing in the game. :D :D I just sit back and play like any other game. I love OoT, it's one of my favorite games of all time, but contrary to a lot of people, I actually like Twilight Princess more. It's got more atmosphere to it, the music is excellent, (and even includes themes mixed in from past games.) The puzzles are a bit more in-depth in some cases, and there are just as many little side-things to do. Definitely don't miss it, especially if you're only worried about performing exaggerated motions, as it's completely unnecessary.

There's a Gamecube version of TP available, too. I'll probably play the one with better graphics. :)

There's a Gamecube version of TP available, too. I'll probably play the one with better graphics. :)

Ack!!! You're right!!! I've even played it. DUH!!! Where's my brain this morning. :eek: :confused: :eek: Stupid me.

Anyway, yeah, you're totally right. I still prefer the Wii version though. Also I'm used to the map orientation in the Wii version, so when I did play the GC one, everything was mirrored, and it took a while to get used to it. The differences in image quality aren't night and day, but the Wii version does look a little better.

Wow, I still can't believe my mind blanked that hard. Must have hit my head in my sleep last night. :D Going to grab more coffee...

Ack!!! You're right!!! I've even played it. DUH!!! Where's my brain this morning. :eek: :confused: :eek: Stupid me.

Anyway, yeah, you're totally right. I still prefer the Wii version though. Also I'm used to the map orientation in the Wii version, so when I did play the GC one, everything was mirrored, and it took a while to get used to it. The differences in image quality aren't night and day, but the Wii version does look a little better.

Wow, I still can't believe my mind blanked that hard. Must have hit my head in my sleep last night. :D

Nah, it's all good. There's a lot of Zelda games and a lot of different versions of those games. Hard to keep it all straight.

Nah, it's all good. There's a lot of Zelda games and a lot of different versions of those games. Hard to keep it all straight.

:D Yeah, but when you've actually played one quite a bit, and then forget it exists...

While we're on the subject though, I also highly recommend Skyward Sword. It's got a different feel from the other ones. The story is a bit different, the characters and enemies are a bit more unique, and it has a lot of cool mechanics like some time manipulation things that aren't how you'd normally see them. (for example, you can restore the state of an area as it was in a different time, but only in that specific area, so you walk out of that area of effect, things are back to the present condition.) Some interesting puzzles based on that sort of thing.

It's still familiar enough to give you that overall Zelda feeling, but it's different too. Kinda like playing one of the hand-held ones. It's not typical Hyrule and its denizens.

The motion controls are quite improved as it uses WiiMotion Plus. If you hold the controller at a certain angle and slice something, that's how it gets sliced in the game.

Anyway, it's cool. It hasn't quite made it into my top Zelda games, possibly due to the history that I have with the rest of them, but it's a very good experience overall.

GC version is 4:3
Wii Version is 16:9 (fake, but whatever)

What? the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess doesn't support wide screen? I'm playing the GC version of Wind Waker and it displays fine in wide screen, and it's the older game of the two right? Maybe it is stretched to fit and I haven't realize it :confused:

What? the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess doesn't support wide screen? I'm playing the GC version of Wind Waker and it displays fine in wide screen, and it's the older game of the two right? Maybe it is stretched to fit and I haven't realize it :confused:

Thats right. GC TP is only 4:3
But you have left handed Link, unlike the Wii version since the entire world is mirrored.

I'm going to finish Wind Waker HD this weekend if it's the last thing I do.

:D I need to wrap up Twilight Princess too. I'm right around 90% of the way through I'd say. Just have to go through the last two levels. I keep getting distracted with things.

I'm awful with game completion. My entire catalog (13 physical games) is all in various stages of completion.

I have to focus on one at a time or I never finish anything. I haven't even broken the shrink wrap on Bayonetta 2 yet.

Right now I'm focusing on completing my sea chart for Wind Waker. Screw stopping Ganon, I got some exploring to do.

I'm awful with game completion. My entire catalog (13 physical games) is all in various stages of completion.

Dude I have 3 systems and 42 games in my backlog I understand fully.

Best thing to do is to beat the shortest games first leaving all the longest games that have a greater potential to slow you down for last.

I'm finishing all my PS4 arcade games first , most are 5 hours long or less. After that the big games (Farcry 4 , DA:I and so on).

Also make a list of the games you have the closest to completion and finish them after you finish the shortest games. Don't worry about achievements or absolutely doing everything. Leave all that for rainy days or the "lull" during the gaming drought that hits during summer.

I plan to finish at least 10 games over the next 5 days.

I have to focus on one at a time or I never finish anything. I haven't even broken the shrink wrap on Bayonetta 2 yet.

You're in for a treat. I finished it twice, consecutively. :D I just started on the first one last night, as I never played the original.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze might be one of the hardest platformers I've ever played.. This shit is controller tossing aggravating. Reminds me of the NES days

Finally beat SMBU today.. The last few worlds were a nice challenge.. Final battle was weak and easy though

It is unbelievable how good Super Mario 3D World gets AFTER you beat the game.
That one stage where you chase the flag pole was so awesomely brutal and now another world(HUGE!) has opened. This is where the real game is. The regular stages were easy. I'm actually dying over and over now. Really liking it now. Thought this was the easiest Mario game ever till this. Now its just the slowest to get hard... lol

It is unbelievable how good Super Mario 3D World gets AFTER you beat the game.
That one stage where you chase the flag pole was so awesomely brutal and now another world(HUGE!) has opened. This is where the real game is. The regular stages were easy. I'm actually dying over and over now. Really liking it now. Thought this was the easiest Mario game ever till this. Now its just the slowest to get hard... lol

Good to know. I just made it to World 5 and the game is finally getting challenging. Although I may go back and collect three green stars on all the levels I didn't get them.

Good to know. I just made it to World 5 and the game is finally getting challenging. Although I may go back and collect three green stars on all the levels I didn't get them.

Don't worry about the stars right now, at least try to get a least one on each stage till the end. You won't have any issue unlocking stages till the very end. Getting all 3 in the special stages is where it gets tough. They hide some of them so well... and then you have to get to them...

Seriously though, they made the main game too easy. It's nice that theres all this afterwards, but they could have turned up the heat a lot sooner.

Don't worry about the stars right now, at least try to get a least one on each stage till the end. You won't have any issue unlocking stages till the very end. Getting all 3 in the special stages is where it gets tough. They hide some of them so well... and then you have to get to them...

Seriously though, they made the main game too easy. It's nice that theres all this afterwards, but they could have turned up the heat a lot sooner.

Well there is one level in world 5 that needed 80 green stars to unlock so I followed some Youtube videos and collected a few stars and did a captain toad level to get them

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze might be one of the hardest platformers I've ever played.. This shit is controller tossing aggravating. Reminds me of the NES days

Finally beat SMBU today.. The last few worlds were a nice challenge.. Final battle was weak and easy though

SMBU has been kicking my ass recently. Soda jungle made me want to throw a controller. I'm 35 and have been playing video games my whole life and only have had two games really fuck with me. The first being ninja gaiden and this fucking mario game. Feels like I lost a step or two playing this lately.

I will finish it though...

Right now I'm focusing on completing my sea chart for Wind Waker. Screw stopping Ganon, I got some exploring to do.

:D That's how I play this one too. There's quite a bit to explore in Wind Waker too, not to mention tons of little caves, and the big one on Outset. Ganon is pretty patient. :D

Back