The Wii U Thread (that doesn't suck)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
Yeah Shovel Knight is great. I finished it about a week ago. So much fun. All the fun stuff from the NES days without the bullshit stuff.

Yeah Shovel Knight is great. I finished it about a week ago. So much fun. All the fun stuff from the NES days without the bullshit stuff.

Exactly! I love a game that's hard like Megaman if I don't have a limited amount of "continues" or have to start three levels back (like on the Dr. Wily stages.) I like a challenge, and like a game to occasionally get my blood pressure up, but some of the Megaman games made me want to hulk out and smash through a wall. :D

This struck a pretty perfect balance between a moderate start, later difficulty, but tempered with a good mid-level checkpoint system. All of the extras just made me want to keep digging everywhere. It's simple, but has just enough extra bits, character interactions, etc. Also, the weapons are completely nonsensical in a good way.

Hell yeah, they did so much right with the game. My only complaints are that it's a little short (but man is it sweet) and I didn't care for the stage parts that had the lightning flickering. I'd rather they leave me wanting more than being impatient for the game to end. I know some people bitched about the phase lock making it too easy but I didn't mind it cuz it helped with the spike sections. I'm glad I helped Kickstart it. Now I'm waiting for some Shantae goodness on the Wii U and 3DS.

Hell yeah, they did so much right with the game. My only complaints are that it's a little short (but man is it sweet) and I didn't care for the stage parts that had the lightning flickering. I'd rather they leave me wanting more than being impatient for the game to end. I know some people bitched about the phase lock making it too easy but I didn't mind it cuz it helped with the spike sections. I'm glad I helped Kickstart it. Now I'm waiting for some Shantae goodness on the Wii U and 3DS.

Just think , now that they have a formula that works they can do even more with a sequel. It'll be amazing and so much can go into it and this time they won't need Kickstarter to fund it at all. I'm sure they'll be able to write their own "check" as it were with the massive success of Shovel Knight.

Now all they need to do is release it on the PS4 , Xbox One and PS Vita and then get cracking on a sequel. The platforming mechanics work so well for this game it'll be cake compared to making it from scratch with crowd sourced funding.

Well Nintendo has jumped off of the deep end... freaking advertisements for their games on the quick start menu...................ftl

Well Nintendo has jumped off of the deep end... freaking advertisements for their games on the quick start menu...................ftl

I didn't notice this yet. Do they cover up any of the space needed for the games that are actually on the quick launch? I hate ads, but honestly, I'm not sure this would bother me THAT much. As long as they're Nintendo-related ads, and not ads for me to hook up with bored housewives in my area.

They aren't intrusive.

I had an add for Mario Kart with the free game promotion just after it came out. I assumed everyone got it, but it sounds like that isn't the case?

The light on the game pad started blinking and I turned it on. It showed the promo for the game and that was it. Not a big deal at all. Similar to the way Kindle does ads, but not as many of them.

Ahh, ok. It's possible that I just didn't notice it. Or maybe it didn't display that one since I already own it (and under that promotion even.) I probably just didn't pay attention, or one of my kids played it, and it cleared or something. Either way, that's not what I'd consider intrusive. It might even alert me to something I actually want if it stays all Wii-U/Nintendo related. Not too different than Steam popping up a news/ad view when it starts. I could do without it, but not too alarmed either.

Went to SDCC yesterday, got some hands on with Smash for 3DS and WiiU, holy cow is the game awesome.
Not only that,1080p 60fps smooth as butter, I gave Mega Man, Sonic and Little MAC a few rounds.
Mega Man lacks melee attacks, he only has one from what I found(Shoryuken!), Little Mac is hard to control cause all his attacks send him flying across the screen, but its totally a melee monster. I kept falling off the stages..... Sonic... is actually a good fighter. I found his moves the most balanced out of those guys, his spin attack is very useful for getting out of trouble quick.
I didnt see PACMAN... needs to be unlocked?

Also they have Bayonetta 2, which appears to be a new build, holy shit that game looked amazing. Just soooo much going on the screen at all times. It's hard to describe, one chase(boss battle) had her leaping from fighter jet to fighter jet and then landing on a train bridge, that is being destroyed as the boss chases you. Amazing game to just watch.

MK8 tournaments, Smash tournaments.
Hyrule Warriors, The Toad game, Bayonetta, and a few indie games(1001 spikes, Shovel Knight, Guacamelee).

I'll be going back tomorrow for the tournaments. If you are in SD you gotta go, its free, you don't need CC badge as its open to the public. The Marriot next to the convention center.

Picked up a Wii-U Mario bundle tonight at Best Buy, I finally caved because my kid really wants to play Disney Infinity. All I have is a PS4 right now and Infinity isn't available on it yet.

Wii-U ownership, day 1

This is the most confusing dialog heavy garbage UI I've ever seen. I don't know how Nintendo expects people to logically deal with this, ugh.

Fortunately all that goes away when a game starts. My kid is pretty bad at Mario Kart 8 however it's a total joy to watch her play or play with her :)

Last edited:
I've had my Wii U since Nov 2013 and I really like it bc I can play with my wife. I didn't know there was a a thread on here that didn't consist of people bashing Wii U (most have never even tried it).

Picked the Mario bundle up that was on sale. Got mk8 as well all for the price of the mk8 bundle.

Absolutely love it. I've been super addicted to Mario games here recently. I think it's because they can have a few levels played and layed down.

Son playing through Lego city undercover and having a blast doing so.

Picked up injustice at target for $20, came with all dlc.

Starting my play through of wonderful 101 and throwing mk8 and sm3dw here and there.

Disney Infinity 2.0 on preorder as well as hulk and Spiderman figures.

im interested in disney infinity.... but will they release 3.0 in a year and 4.0 ... this is a little bit ridiculous imo.

im getting shovel knight tonight :)

im interested in disney infinity.... but will they release 3.0 in a year and 4.0 ... this is a little bit ridiculous imo.

im getting shovel knight tonight :)

I bought Disney Infinity and currently wish it never existed. The limitations on the Story Mode content are ridiculous. For me to play with my kid you need to have two characters from the same movie. The game ships with three characters from different movies...

Some of the character packs come with levels (Play Sets) and some don't (just overpriced characters in a box). My kid was displeased (to the the least) when her $30 Disney Frozen character set didn't actually come with Frozen content. Those characters can ONLY be used in Toy Boy mode. If I knew this ahead of time, I probably never would have bought the Wii U with Disney Infinity for her. All she wants to do is run around the Story Mode levels with Elsa... Nope, tough shit kid!

Buy Skylanders if you want a character fig based adventure game. The characters are cheaper, and you can play whatever the heck you want whenever you want :(

And while 45% of Infinity players are girls (according to Disney), for some reason there is zero content designed for girl characters in 2.0. It's all superhero stuff, even though they are adding figures for Maleficent, Tinkerbell, and Merida.

Last edited:
Hey do Wii games look any better on the Wii U?

Objectively yes, as the HDMI shows the picture as it is. Subjectively it might look worse to you because there is no composite blurring to hide the jaggies.

There are no enhancements if thats what you are asking. As in rendering in higher resolution like emulators can. Which is a bummer, but then again it might cause issues in some games if it did.

Buy Skylanders if you want a character fig based adventure game. The characters are cheaper, and you can play whatever the heck you want whenever you want

My comments are based on Giants, as thats the only Skylanders I'm familiar with --

While you can play through the whole story mode with the three characters you get when you buy the portal/game, you do have to buy at least five more characters to complete the game. That doesn't sound much different to me.

My comments are based on Giants, as that's the only Skylanders I'm familiar with --

While you can play through the whole story mode with the three characters you get when you buy the portal/game, you do have to buy at least five more characters to complete the game. That doesn't sound much different to me.

Those are just the secret areas in each level, but yes you need more characters to access "everything" in Giants. Skylanders is way less restrictive about using characters. You might need specific elements to open a door, but if I want to play 99% of the game as Gill Grunt with a kid on Hex, we can do that. Infinity is all about characters, however they sell a ton of characters that don't even have their own Play Sets.

With Infinity you can only take specific predetermined characters into entire large levels with hours of content.

Last edited:
Nice! Will check out the link when I'm not at work. Thanks!

Nice! Will check out the link when I'm not at work. Thanks!

Here is the rumor:

French:

Ça va faire plaisir mais c'est du #remastered ! Mais c'est parfait pour boucher les plannings.Vraiment 2015 c'est un jeu par mois pour BigN

English:
You’re gonna love it, but it’s a Remaster. It’s perfect to fill gaps inthe line-up. Really, Big N [Nintendo] will have one game per month in 2015.

Not much else on the page other than the assumption that it's Majora's Mask...

Not much else on the page other than the assumption that it's Majora's Mask...

I know they've been hinting at that one for a while. I kind of thought they'd put it on the 3DS like Ocarina, but it would be cool if it was on the U. I'll buy it. :cool:

I never played majoras mask so I'm looking forward to a re-make.

One game I really wish was coming out sooner was Splatoon.. That game looks like a blast

I hope its not MM. They already "remastered" 2 Zelda games already. Enough.
Fuckin HD my F ZERO GX, Nintendo!

Awesome news if true, the Wii U has sparse new games so spacing them out will be helpful.

The downside will be if the Wii-U gets ONLY 12 games for 2015 :eek:

Suck!

Not really, I don't buy 12 games Ina year anyway.

Just bought a Wii U and a How 1tb external HDD. How easy the install? I ordered the y cable so I got to wait for that.

Has anyone went all digital on Wii U. I bought a 1tb drive for it and was thinking od doing this.

WiiU more than doubles PS4 sales last week....in Japan http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/18/stiq-figures-august-8-10-missed-opportunities-edition/

Time to make a PS4 is dead post? xD

Courtesy of the gaf
hnaler.gif

6CQmjW1.jpg

Last edited:
Once I connect the hdd to my wii u via the Y cable, does it automatically start saving to the external Hdd?

Back