*** The UnOfficial [H]ard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Thread ***

What to do...what to do....what to do.....what to do?

I'm currently on the fence between this board and the DFI Ultra-D. DFI, only because of the ability to hit extremely high FSB, and high voltage options for pretty much everything. Problem is, there are too many options in their BIOS from what I've been reading. I will be wanting to get an X2 3800+ to 2.7 or 2.8 on H20, and maybe 1:1 on the memory if I get some fast sticks instead of PC3200 value stuff.

Scroatdog said:
What to do...what to do....what to do.....what to do?

I'm currently on the fence between this board and the DFI Ultra-D. DFI, only because of the ability to hit extremely high FSB, and high voltage options for pretty much everything. Problem is, there are too many options in their BIOS from what I've been reading. I will be wanting to get an X2 3800+ to 2.7 or 2.8 on H20, and maybe 1:1 on the memory if I get some fast sticks instead of PC3200 value stuff.

Well, according to this thread there is some type of bug with the board where 1T memory timings won't work past 240fsb (unless of course, you use a memory divider to move the RAM below the 240MHz mark). So, if you want to run your RAM at 240+, you'll either need to use 2T or go with the DFI, apparently. That thread is the first I'd heard of this, but it explains why my RAM can't run at 250 @ 2.5-3-3-7-1T. I'm tempted to try that at 2T. But, I'm burned out and I'm just going to enjoy what I've got (signature).

Best,

Hurin

Hurin said:
Well, both gazza_new and I have Dual Core CPUs (X2 4400+) and we have full control of our vcore. We both happen to have revision 1.02 of the motherboard. . . so maybe that has something to do with it? Nobody who has complained about the vcore issue has posted their motherboard revision, so that's just a guess.

I got mine from ZipZoomFly. . . in case you were looking for a vendor that will probably have the revision 1.02 board.

H

Gotta retract this. Please see
this thread.

Thanks,

H

I'm using the Crucial Ballistix non-tracer DDR in mine at 1T, BIOS 1006 on the Premium without any problems. Running stock until I can get the entire water cooling setup going.

The only difference is I've got a 4000+ San Diego instead of a X2.
Betauser said:
i have this board and it seems that i cant run my 2x1gig ballistix tracer to 1T. it always crashes. anyone having this problem w/ X2 4400+ cpu? specs is right on my sig.

id like to know if updating the bios would make the difference.

Interesting...I have it at stock volts (2.8). Memtest and Prime stable 20+ hours.
Betauser said:
fixed my problem.. it's currently running at 3-4-4-10 1T w/ 2.6volts.. (undervolt) for some reason, crucial dont want a high voltage :( weird.

So..what's the max vcore on this great Asus board with single core cpu. There is apparently an issue with the X2 vcore settings. Any new BIOS with an upped max vcore. If 1.65 is the max seems like a deal breaker.

I have mine set to stock 1.5v. Seems if I undervolt, it readjusts it back to 1.5v. Once I get the water cooling setup completely installed (couple of weeks) then I'll see what it will do.

Bought mine last week from newegg.com It was onsale for like 160 something. I love it :O

Can anyone with this premium board AND an 3800+ X2 please tell me how high you've gotten her to overclock???? Air or water, doesn't matter (just not phase). I'd like to make 2.8 Planning also to buy two gigs of ram that can O/C 1:1 with it.

I may be leaning toward this board as opposed to the DFI Lan Party stuff.

Ok, so my OCZ PC4000 Gold VX (4x512) doesn't work above DDR33 without locking up. Newegg has decided to extend their return policy for me past the 30-day mark and take back my OCZ stuff. What RAM do I want to get. It has to come from newegg, obviously. I need 2GB, so either 2x1GB or another batch of 4x512MB. I'm leaning towards the 2x1GB configuration. I'm not a uber-leet hardcore overclocker, but I'd like to get more muscle from my 3000+ Venice, if possible.

Please share your recommendations.

Thanks

-Dustin

I have the A8N-SLI premium and I am currently running on Crucial Ballistix 2Gb (2x1Gb)...These are expensive but they are pretty good. I am currently running at 255Mhz at 3-3-3-5 (1T). It would go as high as 263Mhz at that timing and would max out at 275Mhz at 3-4-4-8. These are running at 2.9V and for max stability and since I have decent cooling, I have it at 3.0V. Increasing voltage will not get the ram to go higher than 275Mhz regardless of timings.
Overall, there have been people who gets better overclocking than mine. From the reviews, these are running at what people are averaging.

titan97 said:
Ok, so my OCZ PC4000 Gold VX (4x512) doesn't work above DDR33 without locking up. Newegg has decided to extend their return policy for me past the 30-day mark and take back my OCZ stuff. What RAM do I want to get. It has to come from newegg, obviously. I need 2GB, so either 2x1GB or another batch of 4x512MB. I'm leaning towards the 2x1GB configuration. I'm not a uber-leet hardcore overclocker, but I'd like to get more muscle from my 3000+ Venice, if possible.

Please share your recommendations.

Thanks

-Dustin

I'd go for 2 1gb sticks
I just got some cheap Mushkin enhanced stuff that I run at 228mhz 1:1 CAS2.5 1T

I just looked up the OCZ stuff, and I should get back almost $290, after they stab me for the restocking fee. Add another $20 or $30, and I'll pick up the Crucial stuff.

Thanks for the help

-Dustin

Hi All,

I am building a new system around this board( A8N-SLI Premium) and would like opinions on this case :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163044

My primary concern is with the heat-pipe technology , will it work adequately in a desktop case like this one (Seems to work best in tower cases due to gravity ) ?

Also plan to use an XP-90. The specs seem to indicate that it will all fit. Any views / opinions ?

Best Regards,
Caspanis

caspanis said:
Hi All,

I am building a new system around this board( A8N-SLI Premium) and would like opinions on this case :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811163044

My primary concern is with the heat-pipe technology , will it work adequately in a desktop case like this one (Seems to work best in tower cases due to gravity ) ?

Also plan to use an XP-90. The specs seem to indicate that it will all fit. Any views / opinions ?

Best Regards,
Caspanis
if you havnt bought the heatsink yet ..get the xp-120 as it will umbrella over the fans off of the heatpipe better and thus cool a little better ..and you can mount 2 120mm fans on the xp-120 for even better cooling ..
..I wouldnt install the nvidia firewall stuff for the nvidia nic as it has a tendency to corrupt downloads and goofy stuff like that ..(for me anyways)

I'm diggen' my mobo ..hope you enjoy yours as well

The XP-90C will fit this board. I used one. You can turn the XP-90C so that it overhangs the manifold for the heatpipe as well.

The XP-120 would be fine too. But, I haven't seen conclusive evidence that it works appreciably better than the XP-90C. . . and I looked a lot before making the decision. There's reviews that go both ways.

Regarding the heatpipe on a desktop case, I guess it could make a difference, but I think it's more about convection currents than gravity (heat likes to rise, but given nowhere to go, it will go sideways I assume). Could be wrong though. :)

Thanks for all the advice thus far :)

Given the case selection (Silverstone LC13 ) don't you think that the XP-120 plus fan is waayy too big/tall ?? I'm worried whether the xp-90 will fit at all !!

Best Regards,
Charles Randle

Anybody know where I can find the Firewire drivers for this mobo? I looked on my driver disk, on ASUS's site, and on the 'net without finding a thing. My Device Manager shows a SSA Controller that is not properly installed, and I don't see the IEEE1394 listed in any of the catagories. I also don't see a IEE1394 network connection option, so I'm assuming that the SSA Controller is refering to the Firewire controller. Any ideas?

-Dustin

titan97 said:
Anybody know where I can find the Firewire drivers for this mobo? I looked on my driver disk, on ASUS's site, and on the 'net without finding a thing. My Device Manager shows a SSA Controller that is not properly installed, and I don't see the IEEE1394 listed in any of the catagories. I also don't see a IEE1394 network connection option, so I'm assuming that the SSA Controller is refering to the Firewire controller. Any ideas?

-Dustin

install asus speedbooster to get the ssa controller driver.

firewire should just work. not sure why it's not showing up for you.

I already have Ai Booster installed, but the SSA controller is still present, but non-functional. Any other ideas?

-Dustin

n00bie

Ok im kind of a noob with installing mother boards. Can some on egive me a summary of what i will need to do. For right now im not doing the whole over clocking thing. just want to gt it running first

heres my setup

A8N-sli premium new
amd 3800 x2 new
BFG 7800gt new
and from my current computer
120 gig seagate ide - windows and apps drive
250 gig WD sata - storage and games
audigy 2
motorola wireless card.
1.5 gigs 3200 ddr 400 ram not sure on the timings right now

all the new stuff shows up on monday

Just wondering what the newest official BIOS is, and a non-floppy way to flash it.

I think I read somewhere that 1008 final or something like that, just want to get the word and also see what some of you guys are using and how its working for you.

Also if you could post links that would make things much better :D

chef-x said:
n00bie

Ok im kind of a noob with installing mother boards. Can some on egive me a summary of what i will need to do. For right now im not doing the whole over clocking thing. just want to gt it running first

heres my setup

A8N-sli premium new
amd 3800 x2 new
BFG 7800gt new
and from my current computer
120 gig seagate ide - windows and apps drive
250 gig WD sata - storage and games
audigy 2
motorola wireless card.
1.5 gigs 3200 ddr 400 ram not sure on the timings right now

all the new stuff shows up on monday

summary :
put it together and turn it on ..lol

read your manual for bios options of which you shouldnt need to mess with ... auto settings should do you fine

you'll want to make sure it sets to boot off of the CD-Rom drive first and then your hard drive second

install whatever OS your going to put on it

g33zy said:
Just wondering what the newest official BIOS is, and a non-floppy way to flash it.

I think I read somewhere that 1008 final or something like that, just want to get the word and also see what some of you guys are using and how its working for you.

Also if you could post links that would make things much better :D

snag an old Win98 disc and boot up with cd-rom support .. and burn bios and flasher onto cd

I've had good luck using the ASUS BIOS utility in Windows. For some reason I can't seem to d/l the .bin file. But if I d/l the .bin file from the IntarWeb and use the utility to install it, it works great. I've done it twice so far, so, as always, YMMV.

-Dustin

I booted up Speedfan to look at the temps and fan speed. and i have two that are measuring 127c. it says they are on the nforce 2 smbus adress $48 $49 any ideas

my.php

Hi All,

Just got my A8n-SLI premium and I was wondering which of the FAN headers on this board report FAN RPM ? I checked the bios but only saw RPM for CPU_FAN. What am I missing ? I have about 5 fans I'd like to monitor CPU and PS fan included.

Any suggestions/pointers welcome :)

Best Regards,
Caspanis

caspanis said:
Hi All,

Just got my A8n-SLI premium and I was wondering which of the FAN headers on this board report FAN RPM ? I checked the bios but only saw RPM for CPU_FAN. What am I missing ? I have about 5 fans I'd like to monitor CPU and PS fan included.

Any suggestions/pointers welcome :)

Best Regards,
Caspanis
Check the manual. It should monitor 3 fans, but one of them reports 0 rpm on my rig. Maybe this fan is running too slow to register anything.

roflcopter said:
Check the manual. It should monitor 3 fans, but one of them reports 0 rpm on my rig. Maybe this fan is running too slow to register anything.

I checked the manual and it says that it has Q-Fan on headers CPU_FAN & CHA_FAN1 and that CHIP_FAN is synchronized with CPU_FAN

I still totally lost at this point. For the record the headers are :

CPU_FAN
CHA2_FAN
PWR_FAN
CHIP_FAN
CHA1_FAN

Given the above , where do I plug
1) The CPU Fan ? Ans. = the CPU_FAN header
2) The Power supply Fan ? Ans = :( (When using the PWR_FAN header I don't get a reading in the bios)

P.S. Of the other headers mentioned , which ones report RPM to the BIOS/OS ? In short as far as fans go what's the best way to hook them up ?

As always , any help welcome

Cheers,
Caspanis

is there an equipment incompatibility list somewhere that I havn't found yet?

also what do you have to do to mount the zalman cnps9500 sideways so the fans blow straight through to the exhaust fans

Hi guys I need a little help here My Asus A8N-SLI Premium is sick. Just a picture
of the system devices for the most part.
Somehow last night my system rebooted and now some PCI slots have failed to work.
At boot up the some devices that are listed in the boot screen say N/A as well as USB and SMbus. I forget how it was before. Such as Multimedia device shows IRQ as N/A.

And in windows all the USB work fine. But I can't reinstall my TV card.

Now just wondering if someone can post a picture of the device manager under system devices please. I sure it's the board that went south.
I run dual/triple boot and having the same problem on any OS.

Thanks

Got my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium and was very happy with it. Everything booted up fine and got it running. Until I came to install the chipset drivers from the cd that came with the mobo. It won't run! Keeps spinning and stopping. Should I ask Asus for another one? :mad: :mad:

Would it not be quicker and easier to download the latest versions from the webby? ;)

Back