*** The UnOfficial [H]ard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Thread ***

It's usually very easy to download mobo drivers from internet if only ethernet adapter you own is integrated to your motherboard. Especially when you can't install any drivers from CD.

You should ask your friend to burn drivers to CD.

Well that is actually what I did, asked a friend to download them and sent them to me on a usb stick. Everything fixed at last :)

ive had my mobo running for about a week now

I have to get a better temp monitoring program, I dont trust Asusprobe for some reason

my CPU temps stay around 29-33C and the mobo temps go from 39-40C and after it running for about 8-10hrs without a restart it creeps up to 45C

The motherboard had absolutey zero problems setting up and getting everything installed. My entire system was plug n play, of course I had to load software for each device but everything was recognized what it should be and where it should be.

stability wise (knock on wood) this system seems like it could run forever, ive seen no glitches no problems, no lockups, no nothing sofar.

I was surprised how easy it was to get running.

only thing i was worried about was my RAM, i didn't know if it wasn't compatible or not i just went ahead and set everything up and it works like its suppose to.

AMD 3700+
Zalman cnps9500
2 x 1gig OCZ Platinum
WD 74gig 10krpm
WD 40gig 7200rpm
samsung dvdrw
samsung cdrw
aspire 500w psu
audigy 2zs platinum
logitech z5500

it took me about 5hrs to get everything installed and plugged in and setup, I was up till 4:30am having to work in 4.5hrs, I was very droggy and probably shouldn't have been building a comptuer but I did, and it runs perfect.

I am running WinXP 64-bit on my A8N SLi Premium and its running great ..but I have one item in device manager under other devices with a question mark on it ..and I cant figure out what it is as of yet.

I have ran every 64-bit driver on Asus' site for this mobo .. I am running an Audigy 2 card as well , so it might be related to it ... :confused:

other than this mystery device and the nvidia nic corrupting data over time ..I'm diggen' this mobo
specs:
A8N SLi Premium
x2 [email protected] @ 1.5v w/XP-120 w/2 120mm fans
Temps-Load Mobo=40C CPU=38C
2 1GB N=Mushkin Enhanced series PC3200 sticks
PC P&C 510 SLi
2 7800GTX 256meggers
74GB Raptor
250GB IDE
Audigy 2 (onboard turned off in bios as well as gameport and all serial ports)
NEC DL DVD +/-RW
19" Acer LCD
Logitech 5.1 boomer speakers(forget model but theyre loud)
MX1000
Microsoft Ergo Keyboard ...Yay For Ergo!
and lastly , running a high performace racing beige A drive!

[H]

Is there a new revision coming out? I read somewhere that a revision 1.03 was coming out to fix the issues people were having. Does anyone know or can confirm this?

ThreeDee said:
I am running WinXP 64-bit on my A8N SLi Premium and its running great ..but I have one item in device manager under other devices with a question mark on it ..and I cant figure out what it is as of yet.

I have ran every 64-bit driver on Asus' site for this mobo .. I am running an Audigy 2 card as well , so it might be related to it ... :confused:

other than this mystery device and the nvidia nic corrupting data over time ..I'm diggen' this mobo
specs:
A8N SLi Premium
x2 [email protected] @ 1.5v w/XP-120 w/2 120mm fans
Temps-Load Mobo=40C CPU=38C
2 1GB N=Mushkin Enhanced series PC3200 sticks
PC P&C 510 SLi
2 7800GTX 256meggers
74GB Raptor
250GB IDE
Audigy 2 (onboard turned off in bios as well as gameport and all serial ports)
NEC DL DVD +/-RW
19" Acer LCD
Logitech 5.1 boomer speakers(forget model but theyre loud)
MX1000
Microsoft Ergo Keyboard ...Yay For Ergo!
and lastly , running a high performace racing beige A drive!

[H]

That question mark may be the smbus ?

My mobo has the same question mark, and I couldn't find what was missing. I am assuming that it is the firewire, because I don't see a Firewire Network option under my network connections, as it should have.

-Dustin

You must have firewire or it's disabled in BIOS. Unless the firewire is bad.
did you have it search the whole disc for the drivers.
It's the ATK0110 ACPI Utility your most likely missing and will show us unknown.

I am having trouble installing my raptor and wondering if the board might be an issue. maybe there's something i'm missing :confused:

I have a PATA HDD that i used as my only drive, I recently got a 36GB raptor that I am trying to install windows on, but I keep getting "Error Loading Operating System" messages right before the windows screen loads. I can't figure it out and am thinking that I might not be enabling something that I should be. I plug out the PATA HDD and try installing fresh on the raptor but still get the error.

I have a thread about it in the Disk Storage System section but was hoping maybe someone here could help me with it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=981661

g33zy said:
I am having trouble installing my raptor and wondering if the board might be an issue. maybe there's something i'm missing :confused:

I have a PATA HDD that i used as my only drive, I recently got a 36GB raptor that I am trying to install windows on, but I keep getting "Error Loading Operating System" messages right before the windows screen loads. I can't figure it out and am thinking that I might not be enabling something that I should be. I plug out the PATA HDD and try installing fresh on the raptor but still get the error.

I have a thread about it in the Disk Storage System section but was hoping maybe someone here could help me with it. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=981661
you have you system set to boot off of the raptor before the ide drive?

so cdrom ..then raptor ..then whatever other drive should be the boot order

[H]

ThreeDee said:
you have you system set to boot off of the raptor before the ide drive?

so cdrom ..then raptor ..then whatever other drive should be the boot order

[H]
well, I unplug the ide drive, and I do have it set to boot CD then HARD DRIVE, it doesn't specify the drive type, only says hard drive.

well, now my board isn't posting. kinda frustrating, i don't know wahts goin on.

I have read around that people have been having posing issues with this board. Anyone got it sorted out?

*EDIT: I think I might have figured the problem out. I cleared the CMOS and apparently have to have the ram voltage @ 2.8 to post (clearing CMOS puts it on auto). The only problem is, how do I get into the bios without it posting?

g33zy said:
well, now my board isn't posting. kinda frustrating, i don't know wahts goin on.

I have read around that people have been having posing issues with this board. Anyone got it sorted out?
mine's been rock solid since day one
well except for the first one I had that died after a bad BIOS flash

hey guys this isnt a premium question but here goes:

i recently got an a8n sli deluxe. i used my existing install of windows (i know i know). anyway everything is working rosy after i uninstalled nforce3 drivers and installed nforce 4 drivers, EXCEPT i still have 2x "IDE channel" in my device manager with yellow exclamations under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".

Originally when i first boot to windows with nforce3 drivers i had i believe 6 or 8 of those mysterious "ide channel" devices, but after installing nforce4 drivers i now only have 2.

i have the sil3114 controller turned off in the bios.

the other devices listed under "ide ata/atapi controlelrs" are:
2x "NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller"
1x "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

and yes i told nforce4 drivers to install nvidia ide driver.

any ideas?

my 2x sata hd's on port 1 and 2 of the nforce4 sata controller are working fine (or seem to be).

thanks in advance

floodo1 said:
hey guys this isnt a premium question but here goes:

i recently got an a8n sli deluxe. i used my existing install of windows (i know i know). anyway everything is working rosy after i uninstalled nforce3 drivers and installed nforce 4 drivers, EXCEPT i still have 2x "IDE channel" in my device manager with yellow exclamations under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".

Originally when i first boot to windows with nforce3 drivers i had i believe 6 or 8 of those mysterious "ide channel" devices, but after installing nforce4 drivers i now only have 2.

i have the sil3114 controller turned off in the bios.

the other devices listed under "ide ata/atapi controlelrs" are:
2x "NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA Controller"
1x "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

and yes i told nforce4 drivers to install nvidia ide driver.

any ideas?

my 2x sata hd's on port 1 and 2 of the nforce4 sata controller are working fine (or seem to be).

thanks in advance
ok more info, turns out that those are my reg ide channels. if i disable them my cd/dvd drives dissappear.

secondly when i reenable them it says installation failed because "Driver is not intended for this platform".

this is the same error i get when i tell it to search the "legacy" folder of nforce4 ide drivers.

if i manually force it to use that driver "nvidia nforce4 parrallel ata controller" (dont search i'll tell you style), the error i get is "the system cannot find the device specified".

so is windows just thinking that the nvidia driver is bunk, even tho i try both the newest (6.7 i think) drivers or the drivers on the mobo cd?

Shut down the PC then unplug everything on the standard IDE boot back to windows. . If the yellow goes away then your slave master thing is not right.
If it is still there then click those IDE and uninstall all those IDE reboot. let windows install drivers give it a sec ansd check to see what it says.
Now if it stll does it then something then maybe it is abad IDE controller.
Or windows could have gotten really screwed up beyond normal fix and may need registry fix, in other words things in registry need to be deleted as far as IDE.

g33zy said:

*EDIT: I think I might have figured the problem out. I cleared the CMOS and apparently have to have the ram voltage @ 2.8 to post (clearing CMOS puts it on auto). The only problem is, how do I get into the bios without it posting?

Could be your memory is not really compatible with this board. I mean if it needs 2.8 for the memory without overclocking.
Try with just one stick ata time. and check other memory to see if that needs 2.8 also.

ok so heres what i did to fix it. i feel like such a retard for not trying this before i posted earlier :( i swear "uninstall and reinstall" just totally slipped my mind.

1- try to uninstall the first "ide channel", which removed the nvidia ide driver after being prompted. then removed the 2nd device. then shutdown and unplugged.
2- restart, windows comes up with 6 ide channel and 3 dual channel controllers. no exclamations from here on out!
3- shutdown, plug drives back in.
4- restart, now i have 3 primary channel, 3 secondary channel, 3 dual channel controllers.
5- install just nvidia ide driver, restart
6- enjoy!

so yeah uninstall and reinstall, yay :) thanks for the help END!
in the meantime i got speedfan working, cept that the header right next to the chipset fan on my board isnt controleld by speedfan. still dying with this HORRIBLE chipset fan. man i've never heard anything so bad :( even my old skool 80mm black label delta wasnt so bad! time to break out the extension!

hey can anyone recommend a chipset cooler that will clear a 2nd vid card? seems like the corner of the chipset cooler may interfere with a 2nd card.

g33zy said:

g33zy,

How's the board now , I had a similar problem to yours and had to RMA the thing. I hope when it finally gets back here it works :(

Cheers,
Caspanis

So whats really up with the A8N-SLI Premium and the A64 3700+ revision E4 processors at Newegg not being compatible with this motherboard? The Asus website CPU compatibility chart for the A8N-SLI Premium only lists the 3700+ revision E6 as being compatible with this motherboard. As you can see, newegg lists their 3700+ processor as 1.35/1.4 volts, which would make it a revision E4 and thus it will not work in the premium. Is this an error on Asus's website? Does a bios update make this board 3700+ revision E4 compatible? Is anyone here running the 3700+ revision E4 processor on the A8N-SLI Premium board successfully?

Here is the compatibility list of the A8N-SLI Premium from the Asus website. As you can see, It does not list the current E4 revision 3700+ processors.
asuspremium.jpg

Here is the revision information for the 3700+ processors
3700.jpg

Here is the information for the 3700+ processor that newegg sells, as you can see it states 1.35/1.4 volts, which means it is a revision E4 processor.
3700newegg.jpg

Just recently purchased this board and upgraded my PC. I am using all SATA HDDs and an Antec P160 case. When I plug the HDD LED plug into the header on the Mobo, it doesn't work. It was working with my MSI NEO2 Platinum.

I read the manual for the a8n and it says that the header is for IDE HDDs. I didn't think it would matter. Am I out of luck because I am using SATA drives? Am I now no longer able to have the HDD LED light up during activity or is there some other place into which I should plug that little cable?

johngvo said:
Just recently purchased this board and upgraded my PC. I am using all SATA HDDs and an Antec P160 case. When I plug the HDD LED plug into the header on the Mobo, it doesn't work. It was working with my MSI NEO2 Platinum.

I read the manual for the a8n and it says that the header is for IDE HDDs. I didn't think it would matter. Am I out of luck because I am using SATA drives? Am I now no longer able to have the HDD LED light up during activity or is there some other place into which I should plug that little cable?

i have all sata drives and my light on my aurora3d case works.. faulty light?

Back