*** The UnOfficial [H]ard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Thread ***

Has anyone tried the 1007 beta bios yet? Does it offer higher vcore voltages?

So what is this I hear that with the Premie you can't watercool the NB? Any truth to this? I seem to recall someone saying that in the watercooling forum a while back. If I were to get the premie board I would be dropping the heat pipe in the junk box.

So what is this I hear that with the Premie you can't watercool the NB?
It's going to be tough to do if you're using the board in SLI mode, since the NB is right the second graphics card. A Vantec fan barely fits under the second card.

Dr_John said:
It's going to be tough to do if you're using the board in SLI mode, since the NB is right the second graphics card. A Vantec fan barely fits under the second card.

Is there a difference between the Deluxe and Premium in this respect? I already have an Aqua Computer TwinPlex that fits just fine on my Deluxe board.

i have this board and it seems that i cant run my 2x1gig ballistix tracer to 1T. it always crashes. anyone having this problem w/ X2 4400+ cpu? specs is right on my sig.

id like to know if updating the bios would make the difference.

I tried to flash the beta bios last night. The version available on the Asus site has a checksum error.

Betauser said:
i have this board and it seems that i cant run my 2x1gig ballistix tracer to 1T. it always crashes. anyone having this problem w/ X2 4400+ cpu? specs is right on my sig.

id like to know if updating the bios would make the difference.

My specs are in my sig also. I am running my ram at 2-2-2-5 1T at stock speed and voltage 100% stable.

Is there a difference between the Deluxe and Premium in this respect? I already have an Aqua Computer TwinPlex that fits just fine on my Deluxe board.
Not sure...their layout looks essentially identical. But do you mean under a 7800 or other card? It's a pretty tight fit under my second 7800, and the water block does look a bit taller than the Vantec fan I have.

brom42 said:
My specs are in my sig also. I am running my ram at 2-2-2-5 1T at stock speed and voltage 100% stable.

fixed my problem.. it's currently running at 3-4-4-10 1T w/ 2.6volts.. (undervolt) for some reason, crucial dont want a high voltage :( weird.

crap ...wrong thread

Whilst I'm here tho ...I wouldnt mind picking up one of these bad boys with a x2 4400+ :)

TopNurse and Dr John... Read the OP and you'll see the differences.
The OP mentions the major differences. If the Asus site is correct, the OP didn't mention the two boards have different Silicon Image controllers. Are the boards exactly the same size, hole position, etc.? Probably, but since I don't have a Deluxe to compare my Premium to, I can't be sure.

for the A8N SLI premium board

nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows XP(WHQL).
To avoid damaging system, please do update the chipset driver before updating Bios version 1006 or later

A8N-SLI Premium Beta BIOS 1007.002
Latest beta BIOS.

Looking on the Asus site I find these two latest files.... this is the lates chipset file...

I don't know how to use it ...and the latest BIOS which requires the chipset file be used first if I read this correctly?

So do you thing Asus is going to release a 1006 Final BIOS for this board? It seems they jumped right from 1006 Beta 4 to 1007 beta 2. I usually only install final builds of BIOSes.

I just finished building my new system (see below) and I must say, I'm disappointed. I spent three days trying to get WinXP installed to my RAID0 raptors on the NF4 SATA controller. I finally discovered that the DVD-Burner was causing my STOP errors when detecting the RAID array. Replaced that and Windows is now installed, but I can't get the board to go over 230 FSB.

Settings:
Memory: 200 MHz
HT Mult: 3
CPU Mult: tried 6-10
CPU volt: tried 1.3 - 1.475
Mem volt: 2.8
PCI: Locked to 33.3

The system just freezes shortly after booting at anything above 230 MHz. What's interesting is CPUZ still shows the multiplier as being 11 no matter what I set it to in the BIOS. What am I missing??

System:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium (tried latest beta BIOS)
OEM AMD X2 4400+
2x1Gig OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Dual-Channel Platinum
XFX 7800GTX (stock 490/1300)
Antec TruePower II 550
Soundblaster Audigy 2
Antec P180
2x 74Gig Raptors
2x 250Gig WD

White94Cobra said:
I just finished building my new system (see below) and I must say, I'm disappointed. I spent three days trying to get WinXP installed to my RAID0 raptors on the NF4 SATA controller. I finally discovered that the DVD-Burner was causing my STOP errors when detecting the RAID array. Replaced that and Windows is now installed, but I can't get the board to go over 230 FSB.

Settings:

The system just freezes shortly after booting at anything above 230 MHz. What's interesting is CPUZ still shows the multiplier as being 11 no matter what I set it to in the BIOS. What am I missing??

System:
OEM AMD X2 4400+
Antec TruePower II 550
Soundblaster Audigy 2
Antec P180
2x 74Gig Raptors
2x 250Gig WD
forget the beta BIOS - stick with the latest final release 1005 works great for me

and BTW, huge update coming in a few days

Thanks... I'll try going back to the stock BIOS. I installed the beta in hopes of fixing my STOP error when installing WinXP. I just didn't go back after I resolved that issue. I would think even a lousy board would go above 230 since I have seen users hitting 300+

White94Cobra said:
Thanks... I'll try going back to the stock BIOS. I installed the beta in hopes of fixing my STOP error when installing WinXP. I just didn't go back after I resolved that issue. I would think even a lousy board would go above 230 since I have seen users hitting 300+
yeah somethings wrong somewhere
mine does 300 easy, never needed to go above that

Well it appears I am unable to revert to a prior BIOS. I've tried going to 1.005 and 1.006 and both times receive a corrupt image error. If I try to install the Windows update utility, it tells me I don't have an Asus motherboard...

I finally got it back to the 1.006 BIOS and the CPU multiplier is now working. Unfortunately I still can't get above 227 MHz FSB. 228-233 will boot into Windows but hard-lock after a few seconds. Anything higher than 233 and it won't even boot into Windows. I have no idea how high my 4400+ will go because the mb is crapping out before the CPU.

I'm thinking maybe I should take it apart and RMA it back to NewEgg...

White94Cobra said:

Settings:

System:
OEM AMD X2 4400+
Antec TruePower II 550
Soundblaster Audigy 2
Antec P180
2x 74Gig Raptors
2x 250Gig WD

When you are talking about the STOP errors in the XP install, where was your SATA DVD installed, the NV or SI ports? I had my RAID0 raptors on ports 1+2 of the NV connectors, and my SATA DVD on port 1 of the SI controller. I get stop errors too, and been trying to figure out why. Also had a Deluxe model, and I was able to install this way, but if the DVD was on the NV ports, then it would fail (but not stop errors, it would just hang at various points in the install).

Do I need to nuke the SATA DVD drive (at least for the install)? I saw in the manual that it said the NV ports dont recognize and play nicely with optical SATA drives, but I took that to mean they are ok on the SI ports.

*update* fed Xp's install with the SI driver disc (where the SATA dvd is) as well as the NV driver disc (which is the only one I tried before) and it seems to be ok now, am formatting the RAID. hopefully thats all I had wrong!

My DVD burner was actually IDE. I tried it on another machine and it won't even read a disc at all - I got an NMI error when booting. What was hard to diagnose was that it would boot the XP install just fine, I just couldn't detect my hard drives if RAID was enabled. I finally installed to a standalone drive, and XP installed and worked fine until I installed the NVidia IDE/SATA drivers. Once I did that the system took 5 minutes to boot and performed like I was running it under emulation on a C64.

EnderW said:
forget the beta BIOS - stick with the latest final release 1005 works great for me

and BTW, huge update coming in a few days

What's in this update? Are you talking about the new BIOS? Any idea what changes it has? I noticed they updated the manual to indicate that you can use the second SLI slot for an x8 PCIe card in SLI mode now.

BoB

BoB-O TiVo said:
What's in this update? Are you talking about the new BIOS? Any idea what changes it has? I noticed they updated the manual to indicate that you can use the second SLI slot for an x8 PCIe card in SLI mode now.

BoB
well it's been delayed :eek:
mostly just a few minor additions/corrections and my own experience overclocking my X2 4400+

This board sucks as far as vcore settings go with a dual core. You can only have 1.37 or 1.47 when changed from stock. For some of us 1.47 will be ok, but for the rest of us it's not. For some reason certain FSB's are unstable. I have GSkill PC4400LE and I know for damn sure that memory isn't holding me back at relaxed timings (2.5-4-4-8) especially when it is operating under it's spec'd rating. If anyone has a fix for any of the above please do let me know.

This is the first time I went with another motherboard. I always buy ASUS but I just returned my Premium A8N and went with a ABIT AN8 SLI Fatal1ty. I could not get more than 1.47 Vcore to overclock my 4400+ X2 and didn't want to wait for some kind of Bios update to fix it. Also with my water cooling setup the heat pipe was getting pretty hot with no fan one the heatsink. I wish the ASUS would of worked because I like there products alot.

Originally Posted by Majin
I have seen some MOSFET cooling blocks designed specificly for the A8N-DLX. I don't see why you couldn't just place one of them on the A8N-PRM MOSFET/NF4 Cooler.

I saw them on a German WC site.

Viper87227 said:
In order for that to work, you would have to have the heatpipe leading into the waterblock or you would have to cool the NB and Mosfets seperatly.

Thats what I mean, take out the MOSFET cooler and heat pipe, get the MOSFET Waterblock cooler and get a NF4 Waterblock cooler.

My A8N PRE just arrived yesterday. Upon putting it together with my new 3000 Venice and 4x512MB OCZ PC4000 Gold VX and BFG 7800GT, I don't get any type of boot at all. No post, no beep, no fans/hdd spinning. Nothing. It'll be RMA'd tomorrow morning ASAP.

I'm so bummed out. Luckily my laptop came back from Gateway today, so at least I have something to game on.

-Dustin

EDIT: I wasn't ready to give up on it yet. It actually does work, but it is very picky about something. I need to narrow it down, but it is getting late here and I have to get up early for work tomorrow. I've try to figure it out then.

I was trying to use my PCP&C 510 deluxe, but it died on me. I'm currently screwing around with a Antec TruePower 330W

-Dustin

Opie said:
I just built an upgrade with this board and Im really happy with it at stock speeds & stuff. However, the max vcore is 1.65, which is too low to OC my FX-53. Has anyone use the 1006 beta? Does it allow for more volts?

Ive also notice that the 1005 bios looks to be under-reporting voltages to asus probe. I have PC Power & Cooling 510 PSU in this and I *know* the volts are at or above all readings. Anyone using the beta checked this as well?

John Gault said:
I have the same issue. I trust PC Power cooling.

brom42 said:
I am running a Seasonic S12-600W PSU and I tested the Asus Probe against what I was getting with a multimeter taking readings off the lines. It was almost exactly the same, but the asus probe does seem to round/even out the voltages.

Have you tested your voltages with a multimeter in real time against the asus probe?

cischico said:
This board sucks as far as vcore settings go with a dual core. You can only have 1.37 or 1.47 when changed from stock. For some of us 1.47 will be ok, but for the rest of us it's not. For some reason certain FSB's are unstable. I have GSkill PC4400LE and I know for damn sure that memory isn't holding me back at relaxed timings (2.5-4-4-8) especially when it is operating under it's spec'd rating. If anyone has a fix for any of the above please do let me know.

DBZ33 said:
This is the first time I went with another motherboard. I always buy ASUS but I just returned my Premium A8N and went with a ABIT AN8 SLI Fatal1ty. I could not get more than 1.47 Vcore to overclock my 4400+ X2 and didn't want to wait for some kind of Bios update to fix it. Also with my water cooling setup the heat pipe was getting pretty hot with no fan one the heatsink. I wish the ASUS would of worked because I like there products alot.

is this just incorrect readings or is the vcore fluctuating? i plan to get this board with a 3000 venice(1.4v) so i believe i won't have issues, but this worries me.

titan97 said:
I was trying to use my PCP&C 510 deluxe, but it died on me. I'm currently screwing around with a Antec TruePower 330W

-Dustin

trying to run that mb and all this: 3000 Venice and 4x512MB OCZ PC4000 Gold VX and BFG 7800GT. this mb demands a good psu. that little 330w antec might be the problem. btw i will run the 510/sli. try another psu before giving up. good luck.

As of this morning, the 330 was working well on a non-oc'ed 3000+, BFG 7800GT, 4x512MB OCZ, but without any HDDs. I just have the "system" sitting out of the case. I called PCP&C and they are not only sending me a new PSU, but they are upgrading me to the SLI/Express model for no charge. WOW! Maybe it was a favor for another San Diego native, who knows. All I know is that I'm a PCP&C fan forever.
I haven't had time yet to go through an install of windows. I'll be able to get to that this evening or tomorrow.

-Dustin

zoinks said:
is this just incorrect readings or is the vcore fluctuating? i plan to get this board with a 3000 venice(1.4v) so i believe i won't have issues, but this worries me.

The board is awesome for single core it just doesn't correctly support the vcore settings for dual core. It definately isn't reporting it incorrectly. Adjusting anything over 1.47 gives you a vcore of 1.47. If you select 1.5 it is at 1.47. Anything under 1.47 will give you 1.37. It wasn't too stable either.... well, in comparison with my new DFI anyways. The vcore on this thing doesn't budge.I RMA'd the board to newegg for the sole fact the board didn't perform as expected even after a bios update. It wasn't really too stable with my dual core even at default settings. What a shame though. I been an asus whore for a while, but this DFI has me really impressed.

Would you guys recommend getting the DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI mobo over the ASUS A8N-SLI for a dual core setup (X2 4400+)?
I am going to be purchasing parts for my new setup, just having a hard time choosing mobo's after this post.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

Hi Guys,

I just got my A8N-SLI Premium last night. Then I read this morning about the CPU voltage only having two real settings. Of course, I immediately broke into my "should have gotten the DFI" sweat.

But, well, I'm not seeing this behavior. Maybe I'm doing something wrong to replicate it.

My board is revision 1.02 (you can see this in tiny letters to the right of the board name on the board itself) if that matters.

I'm running the 1005 BIOS (haven't flashed it, it came with 1005).

I go into the BIOS, choose "Jumper free configuration", and set the CPU voltage to 1.4. Reboot, and the voltage is now reported both in the BIOS and in AiBooster as 1.39-1.40 (fluctuates).

So, I've got the same board. But I don't have that problem (unless I'm just not testing for it correctly). Hopefully the information above and in signature helps.

EDIT: Nevermind. I do indeed seem to be affected by the vcore bug. See this thread

H

This blows... I got my replacement board back, and this new board still maxes out at 224 MHz FSB. My old A8V that this replaced did better than that!!! :mad:

Back