The Ultimate PS4 FAQ

the no mp3/DLNA will create enough nerd rage to make them change their minds fast

Who uses a $500 console as a $50 CD player? Don't you have a webphone?

Maybe someone who connected their $500 console to a $1000 dollar sound system? Is this a new thing to you, or are you just amazed at the output wattage of a cell phone speaker?

The lack of external hd support kinda stinks, but at least you can replace the internal hd. They didn't specify how big of a hd you could replace it with, all it says it has to be bigger than 160gb. So maybe you COULD replace it with a 1tb drive.

The music part I think is one of the biggest let downs. Personally, I will occasionally play music in the background of a game on the 360. But I'm streaming it to the console from my PC up in my room. From what it sounds like, the PS4 will force you to pay a subscription for their music service and whatever they have available in their library to play music ingame. That's just lame, as someone else pointed out if you're already paying for the ps plus service or w/e its called, netflix, and other crap, it's just a bit much just so you can play you're own music while gaming...

"The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers."

WTF! Currently I am using ps3 media server and it better work on PS4 or have some equivalent! I do not give a crap about DLNA. I am going to go out on a limb and interpret what they are saying as "not compatible with windows media center" which is fine.

Can't play audio cd's or mp3's..... well who uses audio cd's in their game console, so no big there. No mp3? Maybe that just means it won't play mp3 off of disc but can off of usb / streamed... again no big.

People, stop freaking out about the 4K statement. All it says is they are considering 4K output in the future for pictures and movies (aka firmware upgrade), but there will not be 4K output for games. The GPU's in these things cannot handle gaming at 4K anyway, lol.

Who else is scared by the sleep mode auto update BS? Call me silly but I want to know what my box is downloading.

No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers.

Considering this and bluray are the main things I'm using my PS3 for, I guess I'll be totally passing on the PS4. Sadly for something that started out sounding so great, the more I've heard the worse it has gotten.

Wonder how long until Sony releases a firmware "upgrade" for the PS3 which removes MP3, CD support, DLNA, external drive support etc....

This! I do believe this will be their next step.

This information has pushed me towards a HTPC. I have the original PS3 that has audio issues (no master hd etc..) This makes my decision much easier.

With the HTPC I will gain the DTS Master HD + DLNA, etc...

-Dill

WTF! Currently I am using ps3 media server and it better work on PS4 or have some equivalent! I do not give a crap about DLNA. I am going to go out on a limb and interpret what they are saying as "not compatible with windows media center" which is fine.

Can't play audio cd's or mp3's..... well who uses audio cd's in their game console, so no big there. No mp3? Maybe that just means it won't play mp3 off of disc but can off of usb / streamed... again no big.

People, stop freaking out about the 4K statement. All it says is they are considering 4K output in the future for pictures and movies (aka firmware upgrade), but there will not be 4K output for games. The GPU's in these things cannot handle gaming at 4K anyway, lol.

Who else is scared by the sleep mode auto update BS? Call me silly but I want to know what my box is downloading.

Yeah no, your wrong. No MP3 support means from ANY medium including streamed or external storage. Also wrong regarding the streaming. To this point there is absolutely no evidence of it supporting streaming of any kind

LOL @ Sony,

No Media Center Support
No MP3 or CD playback
No 4K support

I'm sure they will sell millions anyway....:rolleyes:

This and no backwards compatibility is rather disappointing. My decision to use that money towards a better vid card has been solidified with this FAQ.

Fuck yo console Sony.

PS3 Media Server works through DLNA so yes you do care. Windows Media Center is an entirely different thing that even Microsoft is not supporting in the One.

well now you know why its cheaper
lol at the 5400rpm SATA II drive
guess they had to cut cost some where

well now you know why its cheaper
lol at the 5400rpm SATA II drive
guess they had to cut cost some where

Not like SSDs are reasonably priced at reasonable capacities these days, or anything. Next you're gonna tell me they HAD to put a 64-bit processor in there. :p

Why do I get the impression that all of these companies, which are supposedly "competing" with one another, are actually making backdoor deals to fuck the customer over? It's like products are purposely gimped so you are encouraged to buy both.

The PS4 can't play MP3s? That is the STUPIDEST FUCKING THING I've ever heard. It is the equivalent of a new audio receiver that doesn't support Dolby Digital.

After that Cinavia DRM crap they covertly installed on the PS3 through a firmware update, I have no doubts this is true. I'm so glad I built an HTPC so I don't have to deal with this kind of garbage. Why can't companies just let people do what they want to do with the hardware they buy?

What really pisses me off, is that there is no vacuum attachments. It has a fan, right? And you eat Doritos while gaming right? WTF? How are you supposed to clean up while you're disemboweling space Ninjas????

What a ripoff. It's a GAME machine!!!!

None of these things bother me. I haven't used an optical disc in 10 years and nothing would compel me to copy my 200GB MP3 library to a game console when I already have 5 other devices that connect to my sound system.

I wonder if the lack of DNLA and MP3 support is to push their music and movie streaming service.

Possibly, it's also entirely possible that that stuff will be integrated in a future update. Either that or they're relying on the App marketplace side of things to provide a streaming client (installable PLEX app would be rad).

Real questions:

How big a HDD can you install? 4tb support?
Is it SATAIII?
Does the CPU/GPU throttle based on temp, AKA R9 290?
Is there room for water-blocks?
Will it support existing high-end flying/driving controls?
What kind of gun support, if any?
Voice activation libraries for developers? The PS3 Voice Req sucks hard.
How many inputs for Rock Star? Will it use the camera?

Real questions:

How big a HDD can you install? 4tb support?
Is it SATAIII?
Does the CPU/GPU throttle based on temp, AKA R9 290?
Is there room for water-blocks?
Will it support existing high-end flying/driving controls?
What kind of gun support, if any?
Voice activation libraries for developers? The PS3 Voice Req sucks hard.
How many inputs for Rock Star? Will it use the camera?

I read the HD replacement blurb as saying your replacement drive had to be 5400 rpm as well. Did I read that correctly? And if so, what a bummer....

The OS never knows the block device RPM. It can turn off platters, but it doesn't know how many there are, or how fast they spin.

Hybrid or SSD's are going to be a hot upgrade on these. 2TB 7200rpm Hybrids for $140 are going to be popular upgrades.

For those who don't think HDD replacement is a minor issue, apparently never owned a X360. $%#%%#%#!!!! Aholes. :D

This bothers me the most:
Can users switch the light bar off and on?
No. The light bar also serves as an indication of whether the DUALSHOCK 4 controller is turned on. Across different games, the color and brightness of the light bar on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller can be adjusted by game developers, but it cannot be completely switched off.

That's going to be a bitch for playing at night.

Now we know why the PS4 has better hardware yet costs $100 less than XBone. They've apparently decided to strip out a good number of the multimedia features that were present in the PS3. This makes sense to me, as this whole time Sony has stated how they've put their focus on making the PS4 all about the games (which, after all, is what the core purpose of a console is). MS, on the other hand, has been very open about their quest for the "One Box To Rule Them All" with the XBone.

Personally, I'm ok with this. I'd rather have a more pure gaming console since I already have more than a handful of other devices to handle these multimedia services. I've never really been a big fan of pushing consoles as multimedia hubs, and have always preferred that the focus was on the games. Will I miss some of these features in the PS4? A little, yes, since I use some of them now on my PS3However, nothing's going to stop me from continuing to use them on said PS3 once the PS4 makes its way into my home. I have no problem paying $100 less than the competitor for a better gaming experience and fewer redundant multimedia services.

I doubt anyone here who only used the ps3 as a media centre had any plans to upgrade to a ps4 anyway..is it going to play blu rays quicker? :rolleyes:

PS3 Media Server works through DLNA so yes you do care. Windows Media Center is an entirely different thing that even Microsoft is not supporting in the One.

Difference is though you can plug that media center PC right into Xbox one and use its ir controls no need to have extender software.

LOL at Next Gen, not so next gen..

So far it seems "Next gen 2 steps forward, 1 step back. "

I don't have the desire to have multiple boxes plugged into my TV and twenty remotes laying around. If the PS4 can't play media, I'll sell it and buy an Xbone.

Well this kind of sucks was hoping I could replace one of my HTPC's with this for mkv play back. Not a huge deal but would have save some power and space in my rack..

I wondered why Sony had been so quiet on what the PS4 could do...or rather couldn't.

Great GPU and ram...and little else.

Oh well.

Maybe someone who connected their $500 console to a $1000 dollar sound system? Is this a new thing to you, or are you just amazed at the output wattage of a cell phone speaker?

To be fair, if you have a grand or more invested in a sound system you'd probably invest in an HTPC to maximize your compatibility. Even the PS3 was very limited in what formats it would play.

I setup an HTPC for that exact reason, not to play the format BS game on the PS3.

DID any see this
Does PS4 support external HDMI-based game capture devices?.
PS4 will allow the use of external HDMI-based capture devices following an upcoming system software update, Which means it come with HDCP ON in tell they patch it that really bad news.

kind of surprised that there is no DLNA support, I'm guessing people complaining that they wanted a console just really for gaming finally paid out,lol

It seems strange that it can not play audio cds or MP3s. I can not remember the last time I used a CD to listen to music, but I have a hard time believing that it can not play MP3s. This is not a big deal since I am not planning on purchasing either one. I have always mainly used my PS3 as a BluRay player because when I bought it, it was close to the same price as a stand alone player.
Seems silly to exclude such an easy to include feature that has been standard on most devices for many years now.

Licensing fees. Which is why it has those activations for those features. If the machine doesn't ship with it out of the box they don't have to pay for it.

They want to make more money this time around after how PS3 turned out. This should allow them to be more competitive.

Licensing fees. Which is why it has those activations for those features. If the machine doesn't ship with it out of the box they don't have to pay for it.

They want to make more money this time around after how PS3 turned out. This should allow them to be more competitive.

Hmm you must not know any thing because the Sony & Philips is who Developed it when come Audio CD Disc as for MP3 I'm sure it not going brake the bank.
More like lee they going to loss more money after this BS.

So what exactly is the income generator for Sony with the PS4?

Microsoft has a console that will have many different subscription services etc. which will be pulling in lots of monthly/annual revenue going forward.

What's Sony got?

Back