• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Ultimate PS4 FAQ

After careful consideration and fully reading the FAQ, I have determined this is simply a bait thread, well groomed to get the negative attention off the Xbox One.

The FAQ states that 4k resolution isn't "not supported" it's just "under consideration". Remember the 4k video service Sony talked about earlier in the year? Do you think they won't bring that to PS4?

As for DNLA, that feature was patched into PS3 and I see no reason to believe it won't be patched into PS4. I think all of the issues Microsoft is having is a good example of why companies want to keep it simple at launch.

Also keep in mind that even though the PS3 had some of these features at launch (MP3/External Storage) also keep in mind it shipped a year later. Sony was not under the gun to get the console out the door like they are right now.
 
After careful consideration and fully reading the FAQ, I have determined this is simply a bait thread, well groomed to get the negative attention off the Xbox One.

The FAQ states that 4k resolution isn't "not supported" it's just "under consideration". Remember the 4k video service Sony talked about earlier in the year? Do you think they won't bring that to PS4?

As for DNLA, that feature was patched into PS3 and I see no reason to believe it won't be patched into PS4. I think all of the issues Microsoft is having is a good example of why companies want to keep it simple at launch.

Also keep in mind that even though the PS3 had some of these features at launch (MP3/External Storage) also keep in mind it shipped a year later. Sony was not under the gun to get the console out the door like they are right now.

Nice way to view it with those fanboy colored goggles. The PS3 did have DLNA patched in yes, but why take away a heavily used feature on launch day? The fact of the matter is the launch lineup is shit, and without usable features like DLNA its a hard sell, period, no matter how much you love sony.
 
After careful consideration and fully reading the FAQ, I have determined this is simply a bait thread, well groomed to get the negative attention off the Xbox One.

The FAQ states that 4k resolution isn't "not supported" it's just "under consideration". Remember the 4k video service Sony talked about earlier in the year? Do you think they won't bring that to PS4?

As for DNLA, that feature was patched into PS3 and I see no reason to believe it won't be patched into PS4. I think all of the issues Microsoft is having is a good example of why companies want to keep it simple at launch.

Also keep in mind that even though the PS3 had some of these features at launch (MP3/External Storage) also keep in mind it shipped a year later. Sony was not under the gun to get the console out the door like they are right now.
Exactly what I thought. Is this HardOCP or Fox news? I'm kind of surprised how many people just riffed off the intentionally misleading bullet points instead of reading the FAQ to see if they were even true.

All Retail Games Will Need To Be Installed (I can't find anything that say's this but it just makes sense)

No Audio CD Playback or MP3 Playback (No to MP3's nothing about Audio CD's)

No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers (True)

No External Drive Support (You cannot expand you storage with an external USB drive. It doesn't say you can't use one. You can replace your internal PS4 drive with any 2.5" drive as long as its no thicker then 9.5mm)

No 4K Output Support (You can't game in 4K but they will add 4K still images and movies in 4K)

Sony Offering Blu-ray / DVD "One-Time Activation" Disc By Mail (Or if you have internet you can just do it online via the update straight from the PS4 or by a USB drive)

Day One Software Update Can Be Installed via USB

Upgrade PS3 Games (CoD: Ghosts, BF4, Assassin's Creed 4) To PS4 for $9.99
 
Exactly what I thought. Is this HardOCP or Fox news? I'm kind of surprised how many people just riffed off the intentionally misleading bullet points instead of reading the FAQ to see if they were even true.

All Retail Games Will Need To Be Installed (I can't find anything that say's this but it just makes sense)

No Audio CD Playback or MP3 Playback (No to MP3's nothing about Audio CD's)

No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers (True)

No External Drive Support (You cannot expand you storage with an external USB drive. It doesn't say you can't use one. You can replace your internal PS4 drive with any 2.5" drive as long as its no thicker then 9.5mm)

No 4K Output Support (You can't game in 4K but they will add 4K still images and movies in 4K)

Sony Offering Blu-ray / DVD "One-Time Activation" Disc By Mail (Or if you have internet you can just do it online via the update straight from the PS4 or by a USB drive)

Day One Software Update Can Be Installed via USB

Upgrade PS3 Games (CoD: Ghosts, BF4, Assassin's Creed 4) To PS4 for $9.99

Your making a hell of alot of assumptions.

Sony has NEVER said the PS4 absolutely will support 4k output. No Audio CD playback is in the FAQ and has been verified on neogaf
 
4k is a possibility in the future which means it can support it, I believe the XBONE has no capability to support it due to the type of HLDMI port it has , from what I read if anyone has more info please share...Its a feature not needed for a while like someone said 1080P isn't universal yet, but if you don't have a modern TV this console gen isn't going to work for you anyway. I feel Sony will have to add Mp3 and DDLNA in the future, not a deal killer , have other devices for that.
 
I have this strange feeling that the PS4 is going to be released without MP3 playback, but a few months after the release a new "App" will be released by Sony to allow MP3 playback for a small fee...
 
I'm into games all these other features are useless to me .I have a bunch of other devices that do these things including my TV itself., I don't need or want another box to do multimrdia, I want to play games.which is why I?'m choosing the PS4 first this go around, I'll get an Xbone too but not at launch.
 
Where Sony lacks MS will take ownership. My $80 BR player from Sony allows DLNA, why doesn't the PS4? I always believe its a bad idea to remove features, especially popular ones.
 
I think investing in some quality PC upgrades will be the way to go for me...

Mandatory installs, no DNLA for either device.... seems like good enough reason to sit this console generation out and build a nice desktop.
 
I have this strange feeling that the PS4 is going to be released without MP3 playback, but a few months after the release a new "App" will be released by Sony to allow MP3 playback for a small fee...

Probably. Nickle and dime the consumer. I guess it's good for Sony, as they only pay licensing fees on shit that the consumer users. If 15% of people use MP3's, why pay the licensing for 100% of PS4's? Makes sense. Just sucks as the end user.
 
No Audio CD Playback or MP3 Playback
No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers
No External Drive Support

These three things are a really big deal to me. While I we heavily leaning to getting a ps4 shortly after launch, this will delay that considerably. I wanted my ps4 to be a better more refined media hub than my 3, not a step down. I really don't want to deal with an htpc again, but it is looking more and more like I am running out of choice. Just tired of so many damn remote controls and devices in my media area.
 
Where Sony lacks MS will take ownership. My $80 BR player from Sony allows DLNA, why doesn't the PS4? I always believe its a bad idea to remove features, especially popular ones.

Anecdotal evidence: I asked the kids, and 8 employees whether they use Game Console DLNA or 4k Resolution or Game Console CD/MP3 Music.

0%

Best bet, Sony found similar results.

Note: we have 2x X360 + 2x PS3 + >10 DLNA devices at home.

Kids listen to iPhones or PC's with headphones for music. Pictures/Music/Home Movies play right from the living room TV.
 
Exactly what I thought. Is this HardOCP or Fox news?


Good job NOT reading the FAQ before crying. Everything you say isn't on the list....is. The reason these features were listed is because this was the first time we'd heard of these previously unannounced features (or lack of). And it came straight from Sony.

Actually reading the article BEFORE trying to insult us, would keep you from making asinine posts like yours. :rolleyes:
 
These three are the biggest concern, however, as it relates to me...

No Audio CD Playback or MP3 Playback - I no longer possess a single audio CD in my house. If a need ever comes up, I would just rip the CD and stream it to a DLNA device.

No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers - I used to rely heavily on my PS3 for DLNA client, but stopped using it once I bought my Samsung since their DLNA client is as good with less restriction. Plus one less device to turn on.

No External Drive Support - The only time I used an external HDD is to play large movie files, but the FAT32 restriction was a pain when you're dealing with 8gb+ files. I now just streams all content from my PC, no need to copy to external device.
 
Hmm you must not know any thing because the Sony & Philips is who Developed it when come Audio CD Disc
So you can activate audio cd playback? Or what are you talking about? I was talking about the activations.
 
No Audio CD Playback or MP3 Playback
No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers
No External Drive Support

According to an insider/mod at Neogaf, both MP3 & DLNA should be included in the next PS4 firmware update (after launch v1.50), and that Sony are currently shuffling their priorities around because of the major backlash from consumers/press.

The EU version of the PS4 FAQ was updated this morning to include addenda to both MP3 & DLNA entries to add "*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities".

So nothing official, but at least they're acknowledging the fact that people are pissed.
 
Fuck. I WANT MY GAME CONSOLE OPTIMIZED FOR GAMING!!!!

Is that too much to ask? Or must it do important gaming shit like tell me how the stock market is doing?
 
According to an insider/mod at Neogaf, both MP3 & DLNA should be included in the next PS4 firmware update (after launch v1.50), and that Sony are currently shuffling their priorities around because of the major backlash from consumers/press.

The EU version of the PS4 FAQ was updated this morning to include addenda to both MP3 & DLNA entries to add "*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities".

So nothing official, but at least they're acknowledging the fact that people are pissed.

yeah absolutely not. an Insider NEVER said anything about mp3 and DLNA being in a firmware update. way to spread mis information
 
Fuck. I WANT MY GAME CONSOLE OPTIMIZED FOR GAMING!!!!

Is that too much to ask? Or must it do important gaming shit like tell me how the stock market is doing?

In the case of the Xbox One (or the PS3 before it), if it costs $500+, it better be sucking something. Gaming is getting expensive. I remember blowing a bunch of cash on Sega CD when it was launched - $300. Saturn was $399, IIRC. Pretty strict gaming machines (unless you did karaoke). Blu-ray playback, I like. The other stuff is just an extra bonus. I'd like to be able to ditch my HTPC and have one less device, and if the media capabilities are good I can do that.

When I decided on a console (XBox One), it was about the games. In my opinion, the PS4 is a superior console hardware wise. But, when it comes to games, the Xbox has what I want. I'll probably pick up a PS4 in a year or two, though. The extra stuff is just a bonus. A bonus that I'll use.
 
These three are the biggest concern, however, as it relates to me...

No Audio CD Playback or MP3 Playback - I no longer possess a single audio CD in my house. If a need ever comes up, I would just rip the CD and stream it to a DLNA device.

No DLNA Support for PC Media Servers - I used to rely heavily on my PS3 for DLNA client, but stopped using it once I bought my Samsung since their DLNA client is as good with less restriction. Plus one less device to turn on.

No External Drive Support - The only time I used an external HDD is to play large movie files, but the FAT32 restriction was a pain when you're dealing with 8gb+ files. I now just streams all content from my PC, no need to copy to external device.

So one has to wonder....if the PS4 can play movie files but doesn't support large external hard drives how will a person get content on the device?

I also hope they don't limit music playback to their Music Unlimited service because after testing it for a month I would it to suck on every platform I tried it on.
 
yeah absolutely not. an Insider NEVER said anything about mp3 and DLNA being in a firmware update. way to spread mis information

Have fun reading, fella..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706751

The Sony insider is Kagari, a moderator at Neogaf. She has been receiving direct information about MP3 & DLNA functionality during the past 24 hours, and seems to believe that it will be included in a future update. She was made a moderator there 3 years ago due to her inside knowledge at Sony.

Like I said, not 100% official.
 
After reading all this maybe I won't be so quick to ditch the PS3.... still have a bunch of backlog on it anyway.
 
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Game consoles are ~250w, and there is no free lunch.

A decent PC game platform will draw ~500-1000w.

If you want your dedicated game console to haul arse, you need to strip it down. There is no magic. You want FPS? You gotta pay for it.
 
Sidebar - Hopefully tonight I fire up Blacky64. 2x Opteron 6286 ES, 3.5ghz at 16 cores (32 cores total) before overclock, 64gb of quad channel 1600, 2x SSD 512's, 2x 7970 GE Crossfire.

It's not like a console can hang with a modern PC, but if you're going to make a game machine... Balls to the Wall.
 
ie - You want multi-functional, or do you want gaming?

I don't think power draw would be an issue. MP3 playback would take a tiny fraction of the resources. A lot less than gaming. Streaming high def video a bit more, but still less than gaming.

I see the gaming vs. multi-functional, but I don't think power draw has anything to do with it.
 
The Sony games boss has responded and said that there was no business decision made to keep out these features to funnel people towards paid services. In fact, they have already had meetings with PS4 developers about getting the features put in. Remember, DLNA was added to PS3 after launch as well.
 
After careful consideration and fully reading the FAQ, I have determined this is simply a bait thread, well groomed to get the negative attention off the Xbox One.

The FAQ states that 4k resolution isn't "not supported" it's just "under consideration". Remember the 4k video service Sony talked about earlier in the year? Do you think they won't bring that to PS4?

As for DNLA, that feature was patched into PS3 and I see no reason to believe it won't be patched into PS4. I think all of the issues Microsoft is having is a good example of why companies want to keep it simple at launch.

Also keep in mind that even though the PS3 had some of these features at launch (MP3/External Storage) also keep in mind it shipped a year later. Sony was not under the gun to get the console out the door like they are right now.

It took careful consideration to realize a H news thread was click bait?
 
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Game consoles are ~250w, and there is no free lunch.

A decent PC game platform will draw ~500-1000w.

If you want your dedicated game console to haul arse, you need to strip it down. There is no magic. You want FPS? You gotta pay for it.

lol wut this argument makes no sense. my jacked up rig (690, 4.2ghz, etc.) barely breaks 500w at maximum full-tilt LOAD. At idle its noticeably under 100w, and would be far less if I turned on power-saving etc. playing or streaming music and movies uses a couple watts at max. shit look at your damn cell phone :rolleyes:
 
lol wut this argument makes no sense. my jacked up rig (690, 4.2ghz, etc.) barely breaks 500w at maximum full-tilt LOAD. At idle its noticeably under 100w, and would be far less if I turned on power-saving etc. playing or streaming music and movies uses a couple watts at max. shit look at your damn cell phone :rolleyes:

Decent is relative. :D

Declock to 250w and see what you get.

Decent = Radiation burns only on exposed skin.
 
My son's pulls 556w out of the wall on full scream. 4.6ghz i7-980x with 24gb 2133 and a pair of 460's. It's a wimp. :D
 
Nice way to view it with those fanboy colored goggles. The PS3 did have DLNA patched in yes, but why take away a heavily used feature on launch day? The fact of the matter is the launch lineup is shit, and without usable features like DLNA its a hard sell, period, no matter how much you love sony.

A hard sell? They are going to sell out every console they ship. You know we are not talking about the Wii U right?

Cudos to Microsoft on their launch lineup, but they abandoned the 360 pretty much in the middle of 2012 and they have the inferior versions of all third party games.

They didn't take anything away, they have to design it and put it in. Priorities for it are incredibly low for launch, so if they don't patch this stuff in at some point in the future then sure bash away. I know I will be, not having these features for the lifetime of the platform would be a failure in my book.
 
Are people really that worried about power usage? I never really take a second look at power usage devices unless I am running my home Air Conditioner.
 
No, it's not the power use for billing purposes, it's power used to generate graphics. More power, more muscle in general.
 
Sony releases the news and the gaming community says "WE WANT MORE FROM A GAMING CONSOLE". Microsoft provides all the extras and the gaming community says "WE JUST WANT A GAME CONSOLE NO EXTRA SHIT".

As a whole, the gaming community is implacable. But that's because everyone has different desires and requirements. No matter what anyone does you can't please everyone.
 
Back
Top