The "shut the hell up" lame developer thread

Dillirium

Limp Gawd
I really wish these lame developer's would shut the hell up. They complain about piracy, world of warcraft, sims, etc...

The only thing they have to blame is themselves. I'm constantly looking for next best title. Developer's need to stop creating these buggy rushed pieces of junk and make a quality game. Whatever happened to games that had substance and were well built.

Piracy has been around forever and is never going to go away. The only thing they can do is try to control it like they have been. Consoles can be hacked and their games can be copied just the same.

I know when I'm out shopping for a good new game I have my money in hand. However when I see titles I know were shot out the door or craptabulous ports like CRYSIS, GOW, and UT3.. I'm not going to buy them.

Why can't the DEV's realize this? If you want money like World of Warcraft or any other game that made lots of money in the past...

YOU HAVE TO DO THE WORK FOR IT. You can't release fly covered sh*t and expect millions.

They say consoles are the route to go. Hey so be it. Market to a bunch of hill billy morons. I know a lot of console people are smart and just want to sit back and play a little madden and such.

Most of the people I know that play consoles ...... don't know how to work a PC well. They're either stupid, burned out, or lazy. There are exceptions but for the most part.... that is the market. You don't need anything spectacular to keep these people entertained. They're the same ones watching re-runs of Friends, Seinfield etc.

We need some new developer's to step up and develop PC games that have actual substance, content and original ideas. Screw these corridor shootem ups, get the next piece of gear to progress MMO's etc..

Where the hell did all the good dev's go? Did they get the money and quit or what? I want to hand them my money but I can't anymore :p

Sorry about the rant just flusters me.

Dill

Natural order of things, those that can't keep up will fall out the market, if they think it's going to be an easy ride on consoles in a few years when the market is crammed with other devs doing the same thing, on hardware which is 4-5 years old, they better think again.

not to mention the larger players like epic who do the engine development have to re-write their engine everytime the console architecture changes.

I think in a few years developers will realise that consoles have their own issues, especially closer to the end of their life, how are you going to impress gamers with new and interesting things on hardware thats half a decade old? especially in contrast to PC users who get new hardware thats twice as powerful as before every 18 months, in a 4-5 year lifespan thats PC 3 generations of 2x2x2 = 8x

Yeah I can't wait for that one. Bliz always makes good games.. It will sicken me if they ever start making crappy games.. They're about the only ones that have this sort of Reputation I can think of at this time.

I know when I'm out shopping for a good new game I have my money in hand. However when I see titles I know were shot out the door or craptabulous ports like CRYSIS, GOW, and UT3.. I'm not going to buy them.

Joke post?

Crysis and UT3 are definitely stellar PC games, and fill their respective roles properly.

And PC devs have the right to bitch about such things. Hell, Orange Box PC never even popped up on the top 10 PC charts this year. On the other hand, it probably sold 4x more on consoles worldwide. Of course, piracy isn't the only cause for this, but it's certainly much more of a factor on PC, than it is on consoles. You're delirious if you think otherwise.

And PC devs have the right to bitch about such things. Hell, Orange Box PC never even popped up on the top 10 PC charts this year. On the other hand, it probably sold 4x more on consoles worldwide. Of course, piracy isn't the only cause for this, but it's certainly much more of a factor on PC, than it is on consoles. You're delirious if you think otherwise.

How do you pirate a game that requires a connection to Steam to work? Maybe Orange box is just over rated? I know I didn't buy it.

Yup most people forget their roots, abandon it all for the almighty dollar.. aka sell-outs!

If devs, would make PC exclusive games instead of porting all the games over to consoles or vise versa, which more importantly then the devs get lazy and go, lets just use the console control scheme and gameplay for the PC as well.. aka consolized game for the PC

this is what i miss most about PC games, is how they used to use the HID's to enhance the games.. but now its all dumbed down for the joe average six pack :( it saddens me to see how the once PC video game market was an art form has been overhauled and taken over by corporate wigs who are only about the bottom line...

I say FUCK Epic and FUCK Gas Powered Games I have met Mark Rein and Chris Taylor, I would say Mark Rein was douche from the get go, never though Chris Taylor who came to our school for a tech forum and spoke to all of us, would have turned his back the love of PC games as an art form (something worth making)

and FUCK ALL the other devs too and their corporate fucktard shareholders who are destroying video games, be PC or console ( i do like both for different reasons), as we know them.

EDIT:

Oh and to any devs (i know there isnt any) that may read this, remember just because your game sells 5 million copies doesnt make it a great or even good game, N'Sync sold that many albums and they suck ass now dont they?

Stop focusing on sales and start focusing on quality and the sales will come.

^If you were a game developer, there's no way in hell you'd think that way. PC games don't need to be dumbed down for there to be console ports. Valve did it right (although the console versions could have ended up a bit better).

Also, if you have the chance to let more people experience your games, and make more money while doing so, why not take it? I'm sure you'd "sell out" as well if given the opportunity.

^If you were a game developer, there's no way in hell you'd think that way. PC games don't need to be dumbed down for there to be console ports. Valve did it right (although the console versions could have ended up a bit better).

Also, if you have the chance to let more people experience your games, and make more money while doing so, why not take it? I'm sure you'd "sell out" as well if given the opportunity.

you make my case clear then, just like musicians that sellout for the almighty dollar, they usually lose all the heart and soul they once had in making their art. this is why alot of music that isnt part of the sellout crowd does in fact have more heart and soul in the music, meaning it is better because these musicians did it for the music not for the money, which in turn can be applied to games as well.

im not saying NOT to make money of it, i am saying that the art being made, which ever medium the artist uses, most likely turns out to better when it is made from the heart and not the profit

but hey you dont have to agree with me, or you can think i would sell out in a similar situation, it doesnt bother me, i know i stand behind my convictions firmly ;)

Its all about money. When you can shit out a Hannah Montana game and sell 830,000+ copies, guess where developers are going to go.

wow, then i guess a hannah montana game is your type of game right? you do have a copy right? you did go out and buy it on release day right?

this whole developer situation, of course it is all my opinions and I am not asking anyone to agree with me, of gravitating towards what sells, will in the end, just ruin the gaming industry us OG gamers remember and dumb it down into a bleak existence of weaksauce

it sorta reminds of a quote by Bill Hicks

“Go back to bed, America, your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed America, your government is in control. Here, here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up, go back to bed America, here is American Gladiators, here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their fucking skulls together and congratulate you on the living in the land of freedom. Here you go America - you are free to do what well tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!”

wow, then i guess a hannah montana game is your type of game right? you do have a copy right? you did go out and buy it on release day right?

God no, it just makes such a good point. I am a huge Nintendo fan, and am constantly annoyed by the game selection at stores. I swear that 50% of the games are stupid Pokemon games, but there too, look at the sales. Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire sold 15+ million copies!

Well with a tad bit of effort, they could control piracy.

Look at the mostly successfull attempts such as EA with BF2 and BF2412. Also, the Source games are pretty much hard to pirate for at least online play. In fact, online play is where it's at and that is the PC's strength over consoles. If I want a UT3 server, I log into my Hypernia box and install one. How does one get a UT3 server to play Xbox or PS3 on?

Where did the good PC developers go?

Blizzard
Relic Entertainment
Ironclad Games
Massive Entertainment
Bioware
Valve
Crytek
Blackfoot Studios

Nowhere, it would seem. They may not all develop exclusively for the PC, but who can fault them for trying to reach a larger audience? I think that they all make/are making quality PC games. Sure, you might have a difference of opinion regarding this, but that's what makes the world go round isn't it? These developers were just off the top of my head, surely there are many more out there.

edit - Shame on me for forgetting The Creative Assembly, perhaps one of the best PC developers out there.

Orange Box never made it up on the sales chart because NPD does NOT count digital sales. You're kidding yourself if you think Orange Box sold horrible, there are over 15 million Steam users.

Gabe said the PC gaming market is striving and has never been better. The other developers are just mad because their crappy games aren't selling to PC gamers who expect better.

Where did all the developers go you say..?

They're all working for EA. Now they are braindead... all about $$$$.

Oh well, I'm a true gamer, doesn't matter if it's PC or console (I own both). But I agree with releasing crappy games... Crysis comes to mind. (over-hyped crap).

if concerns about piracy are so great in the pc gaming sector, why not ONLY release games on steam/direct2drive-esque services???

honestly, i wouldn't mind too much.... if anything, less disc shuffling when switching games ;)

if concerns about piracy are so great in the pc gaming sector, why not ONLY release games on steam/direct2drive-esque services???

honestly, i wouldn't mind too much.... if anything, less disc shuffling when switching games ;)

Steam games have been cracked.

Blizzard
Relic Entertainment
Ironclad Games
Massive Entertainment
Bioware
Valve
Crytek
Blackfoot Studios

Don't forget Stardock!

These developers sell tons of games, thats the point. Games that are good, sell well. Shit games will get ignored, because, well, they are shit. And yes, piracy is a problem, when I see somebody who plays a game they love, but they've never bought it, I want to give them a Maddox(TM) "Plain old honest to god punch in the mouth."

That sad, I pirate and I'm proud of the fact that many gaming companies who produced inferior material have not received my money to encourage them to slip champagne, whores and briefcases of money to review writers, and including the 3 good parts of the game in the demo. while the rest is a shitfest.

I'm even more proud of supporting companies like Stardock, Relic, Blizzard, Bioware and Valve who produce great games, with great gameplay and also the fact that many of these games are pretty much bug free upon release.

Versus Epic and their clusterfuck console port from hell that was GoW.

Blizzard
Relic Entertainment
Ironclad Games
Massive Entertainment
Bioware
Valve
Crytek
Blackfoot Studios

LEFT OUT:
Microprose (mech warrior 3)
Dynamix (tribes)
3dRealms (if they'd release damn DNF)
Original SWG DEVS - this one is very arguable. Buggy game at first but the depth was amazing... now w/ nge etc it blows.

I would come up w/ more but I need to get back to work :p
I just want some quality games and not this dumbed down bs.

Oh and to the person above about Crysis.
Current state of Crysis sucks. The game runs like crap on existing hardware. It looks ok on computers but have you even tried to run multiplayer w/ this thing? Every server I tried to play it on ended up being a lag fest.. like an action every 10 seconds..

Maybe after some major patching this game will be ok but currently it's just ANOTHER rushed product.

Dill

It's too bad PC gaming is in decline for whatever reasons and the only thing that matters to developers is sales/profits. If it's not sustainable, it's not worth it to dump millions of dollars into a title that doesn't make it back in sales. PC game sales, besides Sims titles and WoW, are generally in the toilet. Games are selling on other platforms, so the market clearly has shifted.

Getting angry at developers for pointing all this out is pretty silly. I am disappointed about this too since I by far prefer PC gaming to console gaming, but it's not the end of the world. Plugging your ears and closing your eyes to the reality isn't going to make it go away.

I agree with Sid Meier, "It's kinda a golden age of gaming. We're seeing some great games out there.", at http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=780

Too many good PC games now to even know what to play. GDC is going on now, and theres a ton of good developers talking about their future and ideas.

One of the GDC discussions will be by Epic execs on the challenges they faced with UT3 release and the console/PC issue. I expect to hear a lot of whining. And in other news, Epic announces GoW 2, an Xbox Exclu$ive. Ride that gravy train.

Joke post?

Crysis and UT3 are definitely stellar PC games, and fill their respective roles properly.

Maybe because OB had HL2 and EP1 that people didn't need so they didn't buy it? Most people that I know that had HL2 just bought the individual games from Steam instead of getting it all over again.

Maybe because OB had HL2 and EP1 that people didn't need so they didn't buy it? Most people that I know that had HL2 just bought the individual games from Steam instead of getting it all over again.

So they payed 30 + 30 + 20 for Ep2 + TF2 + Portal? Suckers.

Are you obligated to buy TF2 and Portal if you purchase EP2? Or any of these combinations?

Common sense be damned........

Well if by your argument, they had played HL2 and Episode 1, then they would undoubtedly want to play Episode 2. Also, anyone who doesn't play Portal is a sucker. GOTY.

Back