The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

Looks like time to get the NetGear in the future, question is whether or not I should replace my modem too? Have and OLD D-Link Docsis 2.0 from when it FIRST came out, literally close to 8yrs old (got it when I worked at BB). Any recommendations for replacement or firmware upgrades for the modem?
Unless your ISP supports DOCSIS 3 in your area or you are having problems with it, I'd hold off on upgrading the modem just yet. If you're having problems and just want a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, I'd go with a Motorola 5120 or the like as they are pretty much universally supported by cable ISPs. If your ISP does support DOCSIS 3 in your area, the Motorola 6120 looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty nice modem.

Unless your ISP supports DOCSIS 3 in your area or you are having problems with it, I'd hold off on upgrading the modem just yet. If you're having problems and just want a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, I'd go with a Motorola 5120 or the like as they are pretty much universally supported by cable ISPs. If your ISP does support DOCSIS 3 in your area, the Motorola 6120 looks like it's shaping up to be a pretty nice modem.

Yeah unfortunately they do not currently support in our area. Nearest area they do, they only offer it for the highest tier offerings which is WAY outta my price range, I am only on 5mbps service.

I've seen a bunch of people recommending the Netgear WNDR3700 a bunch, but I don't really want to spend that much money on a router right now. Are the 3300 or 3500 models of similar quality at lower price/feature ranges? I'm basically just looking for a sturdy router with basic security features for home.

I've seen a bunch of people recommending the Netgear WNDR3700 a bunch, but I don't really want to spend that much money on a router right now. Are the 3300 or 3500 models of similar quality at lower price/feature ranges? I'm basically just looking for a sturdy router with basic security features for home.

How much are you looking to spend? There is a good sticky here that has all the info you should need and if you cross reference that with Smallnetbuilder.com you should be able to find something really good. For the money though, I am definitely going with the WNDR3700.

This crap with firmwares just makes me want to get something that either runs ddwrt, tomato or put together a pfsense box.

dlink just released a 1.33NA firmwarm for the dir-655
Has anyone tried it?

i seriously can't stand the 1.32NA anymore, going to update it tomorrow

¤ Fixed: Correct HNAP issue.
¤ Fixed: DNS relay issue ( WAN Slowdown )
¤ Added: Advanced DNS descriptions

Let's hope it's true

dlink just released a 1.33NA firmwarm for the dir-655
Has anyone tried it?

i seriously can't stand the 1.32NA anymore, going to update it tomorrow

¤ Fixed: Correct HNAP issue.
¤ Fixed: DNS relay issue ( WAN Slowdown )
¤ Added: Advanced DNS descriptions

Let's hope it's true

Do you have the nerve to take down another firmware from them? ;)

I'm still waiting to see if they ever fix the DGL 4500's botched 1.21a firmware.

Do you have the nerve to take down another firmware from them? ;)

I'm still waiting to see if they ever fix the DGL 4500's botched 1.21a firmware.

Well, I don't have much of a choice. I can't downgrade it to the 1.2x versions.
So I guess it's worth the risk. We'll see.

Well, I don't have much of a choice. I can't downgrade it to the 1.2x versions.
So I guess it's worth the risk. We'll see.

I made the jump. It's somewhat better than 1.32. Instead of breaking two or three times a day it's down to about once per day.

Umm, my 1.32NA doesn't seem to break once or twice a week like it used to ever since I disabled DNS relay.

Should I upgrade? I think I'll keep it as is until I start seeing issues. So far so good. Cross fingers.

Last edited:
im not even thinking about upgrading the firmware. Ever since i disabled the dns relay feature also, my shit has been working perfectly. One thing i have learned, if it aint broke........ dont fuck with it.

im not even thinking about upgrading the firmware. Ever since i disabled the dns relay feature also, my shit has been working perfectly. One thing i have learned, if it aint broke........ dont fuck with it.

I've upgraded it to 1.33, been running for a day. Seems okay. Will know in a weeks time or so. At least my main PC using a DWA-160 isn't being dropped now.

I'll try disabling the DNS relay feature if I do get drops.

I've upgraded it to 1.33, been running for a day. Seems okay. Will know in a weeks time or so. At least my main PC using a DWA-160 isn't being dropped now.

I'll try disabling the DNS relay feature if I do get drops.

Well, let me know how it is. I have downloaded the firmware but not going to install it yet.

If I stick with D-link here, I was told that something like the DWA-552 is a much better adapter than a USB adapter like a DWA-160.

Any comments?

i have the 552 in my desktop. No complaints at all. I bought it the same day i bought the router. Never had a problem with it.

If I stick with D-link here, I was told that something like the DWA-552 is a much better adapter than a USB adapter like a DWA-160.

Any comments?

I have the 552 and 160.

Have had issues with the DIR-655 and 160 using 1.32NA firmware on the DIR-655.
However, since i've upgraded to 1.33NA, it seems to be running solid.
Though I have to say the reception on the 552 is better than the 160.

I have the 552 and 160.

Have had issues with the DIR-655 and 160 using 1.32NA firmware on the DIR-655.
However, since i've upgraded to 1.33NA, it seems to be running solid.
Though I have to say the reception on the 552 is better than the 160.

What kind of range are you running that stuff more or less?

OK, after reading through most of the recent posts and reviewing the list of recommended routers I think I have it narrowed down to a select few, but would like some advice before I purchase.

I intend on having a wired connection to my xbox 360 and ps3 and then use my N laptop wirelessly sometimes wired if close to router). No desktop atm, but there is a possibility of one in the future. The desktop would have a wired connection.

My priority is gaming on the two consoles. I was looking at the Netgear WNDR3700, Linkysys WRT320N, and Linksys WRT610N. On the first page I didn't see the WRT320N. I assume its the successor to the WRT310N. On the list the WRT610N is ranked higher than the WRT310N. Would the WRT320N be ranked higher than the WRT610N? Are any of these routers compatible with DD-WRT or Tomato and would I really need or benefit from such a 3rd party firmware in my situation?

I also will most likely need to purchase a new modem soon as the ethernet port on mine is damaged. It still works, but I have to firmly press the cable in to get a connection and sometimes it loses contact. It's a Zoom ADSL Bridge Modem Series 0226 Model 5615. My ISP no longer carries it and is now offering the Motorla 2210, which has poor reviews. Any recommendations for a quality DSL modem?

Appreciate any help in choosing. Thanks.

I installed the latest firmware and leaving the dns relay on, it is still running stable. This is what d-link should have address over a year ago. Now i must say i am happy with this router. Even though i had the dns relay off for the last version and it ran good (up for a month str8). It still does temporarily drop the connection from the laptop whenever there is heavy traffic through the default gateway, but its only like 5 seconds and its back normal. Its only noticeable when im streaming media from the net.

Well my old POS belkin F5D7231-4 Version 1001 finally got replaced today, after months and months of slow downs, 20% packet losses, horrid customer service loops, inability to upgrade firmware, i tried multiple firmwares for this router and they were all "incompatible" even though customer service said it was infact the right one, finally they suggested to open a RMA ticket, and in the ticket when i need to input the model number, it doesnt even exist on their site so i said F it and went out to get a new one.

Wow what a difference..
I picked up the Dlink 655 router even though some people were talking down on it, installed it, updated to 1.33NA and setup my whole network in 30 minutes! Very impressed with the quality, speed and user friendly options (port forwarding etc). Finally i can make use of my 10mbps connection without waiting minutes for a simple site to register and load.

upgrade your nics to gigabit and youll really love it, especially for media streaming and file transfers. The router has 4 ports.

FYI: I just installed a new Netgear WNDR3700 in place of a Linksys WRT54GS that I had been using for years. Installed in same location, just unplugged the old router and plugged in the new router. Updated the firmware that I had already downloaded. Manually configured the router and set up my computer that is wireless connected in the other part of the house and the wireless printer. Took less then 30 minutes for everything. Very simple installation and had no problems at all getting everything setup. The Netgear gives me 4 bars on the connection strength versus 2 with the Linksys. Speed has gone from 54 to 300. Connection is stable so far. I am using a D-Link DWA-556 in the computer that is connected wireless.

After I had ordered the router I started reading all the problems that users were having and was wondering if I had made the right decision. As of now I am glad I went with the Netgear WNDR3700. It appears to be a very good router based on my limited experience with it.

hihi!

currently what is the best wiresless router out now? I'm looking to make a new purchase in the next 1-2 weeks. I'm more concerned with the wired performance then the wireless performance, but I still want the wireless to be pretty good. I've had shitty luck with netgear routers dying on me (3 out of 3 have died) :(

thanks dudes!

hihi!

currently what is the best wiresless router out now? I'm looking to make a new purchase in the next 1-2 weeks. I'm more concerned with the wired performance then the wireless performance, but I still want the wireless to be pretty good. I've had shitty luck with netgear routers dying on me (3 out of 3 have died) :(

thanks dudes!
Right now? I'd have to say the Netgear WNDR3700 is about the best out there.

The Asus RT-N16 might be worth adding to the list since it can be flashed with DD-WRT.

The Asus RT-N16 might be worth adding to the list since it can be flashed with DD-WRT.

While it has gigabit lan the reviews at SNB are showing that it is not all that great, especially on the wireless end. You could go with the ASUS RT-N13U which got a much better review, is not dual band though, and offers a usb connection AND advertises as a print server.

Looking for a wireless router that will mainly be used for a wired xbox 360 connection, one PC (uses torrents) and my girfriends laptop occasionally.

Price is really not that much of a factor, i just want something fast and reliable.

Would one of these routers suit me ok or should i look for something higher end?

ASUS WL-520gU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=asus_router_dd-wrt-_-33-320-023-_-Product

BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162134&cm_re=buffalo_router-_-33-162-134-_-Product

ehhh. theyre good but not future proof. I would consider N standards and gigabit ports.

N? Sure. Gigabit? As far as "future proofing", unless there's a deal on a router, I can buy an 8-port switch for less than the added cost onto the router, usually.

the problem is with media streaming from wireless to a wired client will be the speed of the 100mb port from the router. If everything is wired (and connected to the switch), then your way is an excellent solution, the slowest speed would be through the default gateway. I say gigabit ports on the router so the whole network can be gigabit speed even if something is connected to the router (except the 360, that has a 100mb nic), also even if he upgrades with gigabit switches anywhere in the house.
But youre right unless theres a deal on a router, because most i see now (even the one i have) costs around $100+. except this. it was decent but i sent it back because i couldnt see my shares over the network.

Last edited:
All right, I need some help. This is my set up: he cable modem connection is in the basement along with two wired computers, on the second floor is another computer, and their are laptops that need wireless.

I was thinking of grabbing a WRT610N in the basement and then a Netgear WNR834B in WDS mode for the second story computer. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I use DD-WRT at all (both routers support it)?

Thank you for your help.

Anyone with the tew-639gr get it work with the PS3 under WPA2 mode? I don't think it's compatible.

So, I'm not sure whether to get the WNDR3700 from Netgear or the D-link 655. Any suggestion? I don't mind paying more for the 3700 if it will be better, but if the 655 will work just as well, saving the extra money would be nice... ;)

I'm using a PS3 2 rooms away, a wireless desktop in the next room, laptops in the living room (same room as the PS3 and a Xbox 360 that's downstairs (immediately under the living room with the PS3 and laptops). I don't need anything special, just something that has great signal strength for gaming on all the devices. My current Linksys WRT54GS v4 works great for the laptops and for the PS3, but the Xbox 360 gets frequent disconnects and the desktop in the room next door can play WoW fine, but BC2 disconnects frequently (even more then with a wired connection, I know the game is a bit buggy). My hope is that one of these n routers will improve upon my connections to the point where the disconnects are alleviated or at least minimized and my gaming and netflix streaming are improved.

Sorry to bump, but I plan to head out this morning to pick something up from Microcenter. Can anyone tell me which of the two above are better? I've read numerous reviews and both have good and bad reviews. I'm just hoping to get something that works, which is why I'm buying locally so I can return the equipment if needed...

The dir 655 should work. Im going to assume that the house isnt pre wired, right. Well i have a dir-655 and my main rig is wireless(n card) and my laptop is wireless also (n card) both are on opposite sides of the house and i get excellent signals with my router in the middle. I would say try it, it should work with no problems. As far as gaming, my 360 is wired directly to the router, also my mac server is too (my home is pre wired for data).

Well, I ended up getting the WNDR3700, but can't get it to work. Rather, I can get it to work, but it's slow as hell. I mean dialup like speeds. I've tried resetting it to defaults and running the setup wizard again, verifying settings from my old router, etc. but nothing has helped. I have the newest firmware downloaded to try when I get home from work tonight, so possibly that will help. Otherwise I'm going to take it back to Microcenter and pickup either a 655 or 825. The guy at Microcenter yesterday said that 5Ghz would be better for wireless gaming, so I thought the 825, being dual band, might be better. Guess we'll see...

Okay, this is really annoying. Went through and reset the router again, then updated it to the latest firmware. Set everything up again manually, plus went through every option in the control panel of the router to verify nothing was set on that shouldn't have been and to make sure everything was correct. I can connect to the internet through the LAN, wireless 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz just fine, connection strength on full, but web pages load up very slowly. Each page takes around a minute to come up if not in the cache and around 30 seconds to load up if it's been hit before. I don't understand what the problem could be. I'm going to hit the Netgear forums, but unless I can find something useful today, I think I'll be taking this thing back to Microcenter tomorrow... :(

Back