The Router Recommendations Thread (Consumer)

I've seen some stray folks complain about drop outs on the 4500. Have you seen anything like that yet yourself?
To be honest, I've not noticed anything yet. I'd have to watch traffic, though, to be sure. My computer's the wired one.

The only possible drop might have been when we were initially setting up the TiVO. At one point, there did seem to be a drop. However, part of the issue may have been the positioning of the adaptor. Apparently TiVOs are picky about their adaptors, and you're pretty much stuck with the TiVO adaptor, even though it's a wireless G, since the TiVO ones are the only ones known to work consistently with TiVO. At any rate, we had an initial drop, but since then the connection seems to be okay.

I'm not sure if there are drops with my husband's computer. Since we recently moved, it's not as if he's had a lot of time to use it. I think the real test will be when we get him a new notebook. He loves the mobility of the notebook computer, so he'll use it in different parts of the house. If he has drops at that point, he'll certainly say something about it!

I have heard that there is a problem with random resets in a heavy load situation! Since I am having to replace my WNR-854T that keeps failing and having to be replaced or fixed every 4 months or so which is not good at all, it is a real pile of crap. The DGL-4500 seems to be one of the better choices right now. But I am concerned with the random reset problem. Has anyone experienced this with there DGL-4500?

I have heard that there is a problem with random resets in a heavy load situation! Since I am having to replace my WNR-854T that keeps failing and having to be replaced or fixed every 4 months or so which is not good at all, it is a real pile of crap. The DGL-4500 seems to be one of the better choices right now. But I am concerned with the random reset problem. Has anyone experienced this with there DGL-4500?

i have the dgl-4500 and haven't experienced any lockups or random resets as yet also im a heavy bit-torrent user

Also, many home router companies make money by making users upgrade their routers every three years. Most free firmware upgrades will stop after few years of release.

I've never..ever seen this, and I've worked with pretty much every major brand of router out there.

Business grade..such as Sonicwall, Jupiter, Cisco, ...yeah, a support contract is needed to maintain firmware/OS upgrades. But home grade products? You can still get firmware for the original home broadband router, the BEFSR41, from Linksys. Granted...they stopped updating the firmware a couple of years ago for the original V1 model, but that latest version is still available for free.

Same with the other major oldie router in the very early days of broadband..the Netgear RT314.

Not to interrupt the drama, but does anybody have an opinion on the WRT310N? I'd still like to know about it.

... does anybody have an opinion on the WRT310N? I'd still like to know about it.
The 310N is a decent middle tier offering from Linksys and has the benefit of being one of the few routers that can run DD-WRT well. (Flash with the mini, then the standard per their wiki.) It has an integrated gigabit switch, a 300MHz processor and 32MB of RAM (4MB ROM). Not bad hardware wise. Other benefits include a sleek consumer-friendly design but at the cost of any antennae modification.

I do not own one so I cannot provide performance benches but from what's available on a quick google search, it would seem the DIR-655 is still a better choice in the same price bracket both from a general and wireless performance perspective.

Hope that helps.

I find your trolling comments very non-informing.

You just showed your ass in a major way.

No one in their right mind would ever confuse Orinthical as a troll, ever, under any circumstances.

You, on the other hand...

Holy monkey, what is happening in here?

Just got a D-Link DIR-655 with the help of this guide (as well as Newegg honoring a request for a deal on it). Works great. Got it completely secured with MAC filtering and WPA2. Just me and my girlfriend on it with excellent speeds. No speed decrease compared to having no router that I can see.

Holy monkey, what is happening in here?
I don't know but I am withdrawing from the conversation. Risking the closure of this thread to respond to petty attacks is not worth it. I have other things to do with my time and energy what with a new addition and all. :) Update to page one coming soon as well.

Just got a D-Link DIR-655 with the help of this guide (as well as Newegg honoring a request for a deal on it). Works great. Got it completely secured with MAC filtering and WPA2. Just me and my girlfriend on it with excellent speeds. No speed decrease compared to having no router that I can see.
Glad to hear it! :)

Orinthical and requiemnoise - you guys need to take it off line. Please don't continue this argument in thread.

Anyone tried new DD-WRT on the Linksys WRT600N, honestly I have not been happy with the 600N, I expected much more from it, and the Linksys WUSB600N wireless adapters were pretty sub par with the router.

Currently my internet is working, but I have to disable the adapter the re-enable it again for it to pick up speed, I am at a loss. I am now using a DLink Xtreme wireless adapter.

Hiya, i couldn't tell from page 1 when it was updated last, but i'm in the market for a gig switch and kinda leaning toward the netgears....are these still the latest and recommended models:

Netgear GS724T
Netgear GS108T

When browsing the netgear models (a lot of them) i've also noticed RS models as well as the GS models...what is the difference?

Thanks in advance!

I went ahead and ordered the WRT310N - it's on buy.com for $75 :eek:

It's amazing. It's fast in all the ways my DIR-615 was failing me. I'm hugely looking forward to really putting the gigabit switch to use once my roommates get back. I haven't tried out DD-WRT yet, but support for it was a factor in the buying process, so I'll probably give a shot sometime soon. For the moment, on the standard firmware, the WRT310N is a fantastic investment, especially given the price!

I would heartily recommend it for the list, in no small part because the other higher-up Linksys routers have been "deactivated" on newegg.

EDIT: I could run some benchmarks on it if it would be useful, if somebody would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

I went ahead and ordered the WRT310N - it's on buy.com for $75 :eek:

It's amazing. It's fast in all the ways my DIR-615 was failing me. I'm hugely looking forward to really putting the gigabit switch to use once my roommates get back. I haven't tried out DD-WRT yet, but support for it was a factor in the buying process, so I'll probably give a shot sometime soon. For the moment, on the standard firmware, the WRT310N is a fantastic investment, especially given the price!

I would heartily recommend it for the list, in no small part because the other higher-up Linksys routers have been "deactivated" on newegg.

EDIT: I could run some benchmarks on it if it would be useful, if somebody would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

you could run a test on speedtest.net one with router connected and another with the pc connected straight to the cable modem

Linksys WRT610N would be a nice addition to the roundup. FYI: Linksys just released updated firmware which boosted the wireless speed a bit. Very solid router now, should be in the top 3 easily.

Major update/over-haul of the first page complete. If you think I missed anything, feel free to recommend your favorite router.

Which router has a very good VPN?

I am looking to transfer over my wired network to a wireless network.

Many of the consumer level routers out there simply don't have VPN (or at least very good VPN) capabilities and that combined with the fact that many business-grade routers are wired-only doesn't bode well for your request, friend. Also of note, many consumer routers will tout that they have VPN capabilities when they really only have VPN-passthrough so be wary.

The updated page looks good. Very clean.

Im thinking of replacing my WRT600N. I've been having more problems than the device is worth to me. Is the D-link 4500 a good dual band?

hey guys
bit of a wireless N noobie question. I have been trying to get up to speed, but I'm still a bit confused on a few things, so I thought I would ask for advice here.

currently have a wireless network at home. It was running G but as the new laptop has a "Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN" card and 3 out of 3 desktops have gigabit cards I think I should upgrade.

One of the things that has bothered me is that transferring large files between the systems has been slow [even the desktops!] I figured a wireless N router with gigabit switch should help.
Do you have anything top contenders I should be looking at?
Price is an issue, so keeping it hopefully cheap[ish] would be good.
Is there anything I should do to improve performance between the desktop systems while maintaining compatibility with the legacy systems?

Is the D-link 4500 a good dual band?
The DGL-4500 is a great dual-band router, but the answer to your question depends on whether or not you wish to run them simultaneously. If so, you might want to look at the 610 instead as the DGL-4500 does not offer simultaneous use of both bands. The DIR-855 offers simultaneous dual-band but is hard to find and rather expensive.

Do you have anything top contenders I should be looking at?
Price is an issue, so keeping it hopefully cheap[ish] would be good.
Is there anything I should do to improve performance between the desktop systems while maintaining compatibility with the legacy systems?
The DIR-655 is a good stand-by if you're looking sub-$100 but the DGL-4500 can be had for about $50 more and has a bit more to offer.

It's also not unheard of improving LAN switch performance simply by updating the firmware on your router. If you've already done this than ignore the advice but if you haven't given it a try, read up on the release notes of newer firmware and see if there may be a performance improvement somewhere tucked away. It (usually) never hurts to run the latest anyhow.

how is the Dlink Dir-625..i have ordered it already but i just wanted to get your opinion on it.

thanks

how is the Dlink Dir-625..i have ordered it already but i just wanted to get your opinion on it.
The DIR-625 is a nice unit - scoring performance right around (and sometimes exceeding) the beloved DGL-4300. For the price ($59 on Newegg right now), it's hard to beat. The DIR-628 is a re-spin of the DIR-625 and adds dual-band (5GHz) capability; if you don't need that functionality then you're fine with the DIR-625 but if you're in a townhouse with a lot of neighbors all using wireless, you might want to think about grabbing the 628 instead.

Yeah I was interested in running them both at once. I was reading that the WRT610N is having alot of the same problems as the 600N. One band would just keep dropping out.

Many of the consumer level routers out there simply don't have VPN (or at least very good VPN) capabilities and that combined with the fact that many business-grade routers are wired-only doesn't bode well for your request, friend. Also of note, many consumer routers will tout that they have VPN capabilities when they really only have VPN-passthrough so be wary.

So any business grade wireless router recommendations?

I really really want a VPN since i am mega paranoid..

Thanks I will look at that.
I'm also looking at the linksys. duel band might be nice as the laptop will do it.

So any business grade wireless router recommendations?

I really really want a VPN since i am mega paranoid..
Business grade routers rarely offer wireless (especially not anything above G) because, by virtue of being business-grade, most manufacturers assume you will be using one or more wireless access points for your wireless needs instead of the router. SonicWall and WatchGuard both have some options in the $500-$1500 range but they are G and I haven't heard good things about either.

But what do you mean by the second statement?VPN has little to do with paranoia as it's not really a security feature - it's a remote access feature. :) Do you use your router to actually perform the VPN connection for you or connect remotely to your home network via VPN? Or do you use VPN client software on one or more of your computers to connect to an external network from within yours? IF the latter, just about every modern home router has VPN-passthrough.

My parents need a new router, but there's only one computer in their house. Are routers the only devices with hardware firewalls and such, or should they still get a router?

My parents need a new router, but there's only one computer in their house. Are routers the only devices with hardware firewalls and such, or should they still get a router?

You could always get an old computer and have it run Smoothwall or IPCOP or anything like that. But a router is the most power efficient and easy to use.

For just one computer I still think that DD-WRT + Linksys WRT54G series is the best.

Regardless of OS, ownership or activity, no computer should be allowed on the internet unless it's behind a router. :) It's probably safe to say they don't need one from the top of the list... but perhaps something like a DIR-615 ($49) 625/8 ($59/$79) would do nicely. For $10 more, the DIR-625 is a quite a bit better than the 615 but up to you if its worth it.

As another suggested, the WRT54GL or (early) G series with DD-WRT would also do nicely in this case, IF you don't mind the extra work.

They don't need any wireless support though. Need a good, inexpensive wired router.
My advice would be to get a wireless router and disable or lockdown wireless as finding a good wired router today that isn't based on several year-old technology is near impossible. The D-Link EBR-2310, for $39.99 is probably about the best option out there right now if you really don't want wireless.

Well let me ask you guys something. My parents say they're having connection problems. They say they have to shut off the power strip for the Internet to work again, and sometimes that doesn't even work. It's hard to duplicate the issue because it's intermittent. I know it wasn't always a problem, and it could also be Road Runner. I built their computer in February, so I'm hesitant to suggest it's the NIC. They're using a consumer router that's about six years old, a Netgear RP614, and their usage is basic. Email, browsing, etc., and my mom uses AOL (I did all I could to convince her not to have me install it on their shiny new computer).

I know this router is a wuss regarding multiple connections, but it's not like my parents are into torrents. I've experienced some issues while I've used their computer. They're using Vista, and I'd have to disable the connection and enable it, and usually it would work again. Usually they unplug the modem and router, but maybe they just aren't waiting long enough for it to fully reset.

... They say they have to shut off the power strip for the Internet to work again... They're using a consumer router that's about six years old, a Netgear RP614... have to disable the connection and enable it, and usually it would work again.
It sounds like its the router. I had an RP614 when they first came out -- it worked well for a little while and then became incredibly flaky. Netgear is famous for coming up with routers that have log or buffer issues -- the FVX538 that I used for a while, a corporate product, would fill the log and stop passing packets through four firmware revisions. That may be the issue they are experiencing with the RP614. You could check to see if newer firmware is available to fix said issues... or go with another router.

As much as I hate to say it... you could also try it without a router for a little bit provided you have the proper security precautions in-place. See if it happens when the router is out of the equation.

Little help if possible...

I've been looking at a huge number of routers and I've basically whittled it down to the following which I need to choose from.

• Linksys 610N
  • D-Link DIR-655
  • D-Link DIR-855

From what I'm aware they're all pretty good devices, and the only negative I can see is that the 655 is single band only (Don't know if I should worry, or just go for the dual band as a bit of future proofing). Anyone got any personal experience of these? I know the WRT610N and DIR-655 are listed in the OP so they should be fairly safe but I was wondering if the DIR-855 was missing just because it was newer.

Because it might help, here's the network setup the router will be going into:

Wired
  • PC
  • Server
  • Printer
  • Xbox
  • Xbox 360
  • PS3
  • TV
Wireless
  • PC
  • Laptop
  • Xbox 360
  • Wii
As you can tell, there's more wired devices than ports on the router so it'll be attached to a switch... not sure if this would make any difference to what model would be best.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, this will be the first time I've messed around with wireless on my own network. :eek:

... is that the 655 is single band only (Don't know if I should worry, or just go for the dual band as a bit of future proofing).
Edit: Sorry for anyone who read that the DIR-655 supports 5GHz, that was incorrect. It has 20/40 but only in the 2.4Ghz band. I responded too quickly initially and had it mixed up with the DGL-4500, which does indeed offer 2.4GHz and 5Ghz support but only one at a time. So, given that, the DIR-855 or Linksys WRT 610 (or DGL-4500) is going to be your best bet.

I was wondering if the DIR-855 was missing just because it was newer.
Partially that and there are rumors that it was or is being recalled and re-released. As of the last update to the OP it was still rather hard to find and sites that claimed to have it in-stock were charging an arm and a leg for it.

...not sure if this would make any difference to what model would be best.
Nahh. Though I would recommend that you get a switch large enough to accommodate all of your devices on it and then run a single cable to the router's LAN ports regardless of what model you choose. Not that you'd see any major gains in performance or anything, just that it would follow the star topology a bit more closely. :)

All very helpful, thank you. Are you sure that the 655 can do 5ghz though? I haven't seen anything that suggests it can.

All very helpful, thank you. Are you sure that the 655 can do 5ghz though? I haven't seen anything that suggests it can.
It's been a while since I set it on my bench -- yet after verification, the DIR-655 does indeed lack 5GHz support. It has 20/40 sideband but only the 2.4Ghz range. I responded too quickly and had it mixed up with the DGL-4500, which supports both 2.4/5GHz but not simultaneous use.

No problem. I had a look into the DIR-855 and apparently there's a new hardware version out (A2) but to be honest I'm tempted to be really shallow and pick up the 610N simply because I prefer how it looks. :D

Though I have read a lot about it crashing under heavy load.

Back