The Raspberry Pi 4 is here

yea, I love mine (despite the bezel) still requires a lot of scrolling though...

receipt-screen.jpg

I would have preferred to mini DP ports.

Would have been nice for me as well since I have mini dp and mini dp to hdmi cables laying around.

This isn't a huge deal to me but it does drive the cost of a pi 4 up to $65 for me due to needing a cable, that's about the gist of how I look at it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ordered RPi4 4GB version :D
This will be my first Raspberry Pi ever

Where did you order from? I'm about to order a starter kit from Canakit since that seems to be the only thing not on back order until july-august

I believe you have been able to stream from PLEX with older Pi units, and this one is even better.

I really wish they would support POE on these little guys, how easy would that be for those of us with POE switches already!
There are a few options for that -- there is a POE hat, as well as this

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I use the rockpro64 for Pi-Hole (on Manjaro ARM), which has way more power to it than the Pi 4. I think it can work as a great emulation station, too.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Rockchip RK3399 SOC with Mali T860 MP4 GPU
  • LPDDR4 RAM (up to 4GB)
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Micro SD Slot
  • eMMC Module Slot
  • SPI Flash 128Mbit
  • 4K Digital Video Out
  • 2x USB 2.0 Host
  • 1x USB 3.0 Host
  • 1x USB-C Host (With Video Out)
  • PCIe 4x Open-Ended Slot
  • 40 GPIO Pins
  • Expansion Bus
  • PI-2 Bus
  • Touch Panel Port (TP)
  • Display Serial Interface (DSI) Port
  • eDP Port
  • Stereo MiPi-SCI Port for 12MPx cameras
  • IR R/X Port
  • Real Time Clock Port (RTC)
  • Lithium Battery Port
  • CMOS Sensor Interface Port
  • Optional 802.11 AC + BT 4.0/5.0 Expansion Module
  • Headphone Jack with Mic Input
  • 5.5″ Barrel Power (12V 3A/5A) Port

Last edited:
I use the rockpro64 for Pi-Hole (on Manjaro ARM), which has way more power to it than the Pi 4. I think it can work as a great emulation station, too.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Rockchip RK3399 SOC with Mali T860 MP4 GPU
  • LPDDR4 RAM (up to 4GB)
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Micro SD Slot
  • eMMC Module Slot
  • SPI Flash 128Mbit
  • 4K Digital Video Out
  • 2x USB 2.0 Host
  • 1x USB 3.0 Host
  • 1x USB-C Host (With Video Out)
  • PCIe 4x Open-Ended Slot
  • 40 GPIO Pins
  • Expansion Bus
  • PI-2 Bus
  • Touch Panel Port (TP)
  • Display Serial Interface (DSI) Port
  • eDP Port
  • Stereo MiPi-SCI Port for 12MPx cameras
  • IR R/X Port
  • Real Time Clock Port (RTC)
  • Lithium Battery Port
  • CMOS Sensor Interface Port
  • Optional 802.11 AC + BT 4.0/5.0 Expansion Module
  • Headphone Jack with Mic Input
  • 5.5″ Barrel Power (12V 3A/5A) Port

At 2X the price, I would hope it is faster. That is a nice board but is starting to move beyond the intended market. Haven't heard of it but thanks, added to projects folder bookmarks :D

are all A72 cores created equel - why are there so much discrepancies when it comes to performance vs other A72 chips
afaik this quad core A72 pi is the slowest compared to other A72 chips

are all A72 cores created equel - why are there so much discrepancies when it comes to performance vs other A72 chips

Did you take into account their clock speed differences?

The A72s on smart phones probably exceeded 2 GHz.

I believe so, but they have higher clocks and most phones are using like 6 cores now, or 4 big cores and 2 little cores.

I have a pi3 and it's a great Unifi and PiHole and Mumble server.

But a Pi4 might be on my list

Looking at the Pi 4 and the Jetson Nano as mentioned elsewhere, I have a hard time looking away from the Nvidia part- Nvidia puts Maxwell (and thus well supported) graphics on it, runs the clockspeeds much higher, and supports dual 4k60 outputs and has four USB 3.0 ports, while otherwise being hardware compatible with Pi parts. Also Nvidia used Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for their OS base.

Now, if you're not going to use that stuff, I see no problem grabbing a pi 4 for many uses. I just started playing with Raspbian in a VM, and I do like how lightweight it is.

I have a pi3 and it's a great Unifi and PiHole

I've struggled to get Unifi (and UNMS) and Pihole all running on a single instance. Right now I run two Ubuntu Server instances on my CentOS NAS for this purpose, but I really do not like having them on anything resembling a 'desktop' system. If I could get that figured, a Pi 4 would be excellent!

Yeah, though I will say that having a PCI-E 4x port is great for the price.

How have you found it? I tried pricing out all the pieces to build a surveillance NAS with it, the nas case, 5a power supply, fans, adapters, etc, and it's getting close to the price a really cheap pc. It's still quite a bit cheaper than a pc, but not as cheap as I'd like for the compromises I'd be making. Unfortunately most of these SBC's don't have sata ports or a case to house 3.5" drives. This rockpro 64 actually does (sorta the sata ports are an adapter)

How have you found it? I tried pricing out all the pieces to build a surveillance NAS with it, the nas case, 5a power supply, fans, adapters, etc, and it's getting close to the price a really cheap pc. It's still quite a bit cheaper than a pc, but not as cheap as I'd like for the compromises I'd be making. Unfortunately most of these SBC's don't have sata ports or a case to house 3.5" drives. This rockpro 64 actually does (sorta the sata ports are an adapter)

I would think old ebay parts or old PCs would always be cheaper, main advantage to SOCs is power usage and size.

I've struggled to get Unifi (and UNMS) and Pihole all running on a single instance. Right now I run two Ubuntu Server instances on my CentOS NAS for this purpose, but I really do not like having them on anything resembling a 'desktop' system. If I could get that figured, a Pi 4 would be excellent!

Easy raspbian and just

Start sudo apt get install'n away like a crazy man. Just watch your 1GiB ram cap.

If you need more help.just PM me and I'll send you some websites that have step by steps

Unifi and PiHole all run at same time and Mumble and a couple other things I have jnstalled.

Last edited:
can we get dual Gig eth instead of usb? mkay thanks

// would really allow me to make small factor pf firewall

can we get dual Gig eth instead of usb? mkay thanks

// would really allow me to make small factor pf firewall

There are significantly better options for this purpose. While a Pi 4 might be effective in a pinch, you really want an x86 system with hardware encryption acceleration or a purpose-built ARM or MIPS system. Mostly because you'd want it to do more than just firewall ;).

There are significantly better options for this purpose. While a Pi 4 might be effective in a pinch, you really want an x86 system with hardware encryption acceleration or a purpose-built ARM or MIPS system. Mostly because you'd want it to do more than just firewall ;).
sure but those cost far more. If you could remove that usb3 ports and put a 2nd single 1gig eth it would be enough for me.

That's 640MB/s, or 5Gbps, on USB 3.0.
Gigabit caps at 125MB/s, with real data (minus protocol overhead) at around ~115MB/s.

The Pi 4 can definitely handle it. ;)
hmm yeah; you are right. i would only have an ugly dongle instead.

Back