The Raspberry Pi 4 is here

dgz

Supreme [H]ardness
pi4-labelled@2x-0894491e6de97a282dde5a5010cc8b61.png

Ugh, it seems like the image cannot be hotlinked.

Gigabit ehternet, USB3, dual 4k output, 1, 2 or 4GB ram

That image says it all, isn't it? Besides more (optional) RAM and a modest CPU and GPU upgrade, they are kind of positioning the Pi as an entry level desktop computer.

There appear to be several reviews on the web, though I'd recommend checking this professor's video, and his channel if you care about such things.

Head on to their official page for more info.

Last edited:
I have so many SoCs / Pi type devices.. must resist. Glad they allow you to buy versions with more RAM for once, very nice upgrade.

I believe you have been able to stream from PLEX with older Pi units, and this one is even better.

I really wish they would support POE on these little guys, how easy would that be for those of us with POE switches already!

I believe you have been able to stream from PLEX with older Pi units, and this one is even better.

I really wish they would support POE on these little guys, how easy would that be for those of us with POE switches already!

Thanks, I assumed it was possible. I think getting one of these and using it for that purpose should go over well especially with the size.

So glad to see some bottlenecks removed (or at least widened) and a large jump in performance CPU-wise (on a smaller process node, 28nm)
USB SSDs or nice flash drives over USB3 will kick the SD card's pants. Also the NIC is separated now so it doesnt share bandwidth. Actual gigabit :O

All for the same price. Pretty excited, honestly.

I think I'll keep using my 3 for pi-hole and get a 4 for retro emulation

Does anyone know what kind of GPU performance increase can be expected from Videocore 4 -> Videocore 6? It's one of the few things they really didn't address, unless I missed it

So they finally got rid of the dog shit USB controller? Does the Ethernet adapter still ride on the USB controller?

Micro HDMI. REALLY? C'mon I know that they wanted to have multi monitor support but they could have just stacked 2 HDMI instead of using a weird port I haven't seen in 10 years.

Micro HDMI. REALLY? C'mon I know that they wanted to have multi monitor support but they could have just stacked 2 HDMI instead of using a weird port I haven't seen in 10 years.

Stacking HDMI ports would have been too tall. They're already using MicroHDMI on Pi Zero's. I'm not crazy about the MicroHDMI either, I think it's too fragile and will probably get broken alot.

Stacking HDMI ports would have been too tall. They're already using MicroHDMI on Pi Zero's. I'm not crazy about the MicroHDMI either, I think it's too fragile and will probably get broken alot.

It shouldn't be any higher than stacking 2 USB ports. USB is 4.4mm high, HDMI is 4.45mm high.

Also no POE?

So they finally got rid of the dog shit USB controller? Does the Ethernet adapter still ride on the USB controller?

From the blogpost: "The Ethernet controller on the main SoC is connected to an external Broadcom PHY over a dedicated RGMII link, providing full throughput. USB is provided via an external VLI controller, connected over a single PCI Express Gen 2 lane, and providing a total of 4Gbps of bandwidth, shared between the four ports."

I believe this is the first time they've used PCIe lanes for USB. I think it was a much much slower (USB2 internal "hub") on prior models

I felt the same, but then I realized my Pi is a hosting machine and I am not using them. It's a problem, though.

Sounds pretty decent. Of course I say that every time and then I get one, play with it for a few hours, and decide it's not good enough :). This one addresses the ethernet, memory, and usb limitations though. That's a huge step up. I'd love sata or m.2 but I suppose usb 3 can do it. I'd also love built in POE (without expansion boards). But this is pretty decent.

Can you imagine... a beowulf cluster of these.

(all people under the age of 35 just said, "What?")

I've been wanting to build a massive cluster of Pi's for years now. Every time I think about doing it, I quickly come to the realization that I have no practical use for one. It'd incredibly interesting to see how a big cluster would behave with the different generations of Pi's.

Probably could have done one full size HDMI and second (mostly likely rarely used) MicroHDMI.

I felt the same, but then I realized my Pi is a hosting machine and I am not using them. It's a problem, though.
I have one that I use for pihole so its not a huge deal, but I have been wanting a slightly more powerful pi for retropi. Its not a deal breaker and I'm going to get a 4gb model for sure, but its just annoying that I'm going to have to get another cable. Also it was nice that HDMI was on pretty much every tv, so when I traveled I could not even worry about packing an HDMI cable if I wanted to use it for some retro gaming in a hotel.

I have one that I use for pihole so its not a huge deal, but I have been wanting a slightly more powerful pi for retropi. Its not a deal breaker and I'm going to get a 4gb model for sure, but its just annoying that I'm going to have to get another cable. Also it was nice that HDMI was on pretty much every tv, so when I traveled I could not even worry about packing an HDMI cable if I wanted to use it for some retro gaming in a hotel.

You could use a Jetson Nano for RetroPie, the GPU can handle it. This PI is a big step up as far as I/O. I'd been holding off a PiHole build due to the USB over Ethernet crap as I'd been able to swamp my Pi3. One more SBC for the household; my wife'll be thrilled! :D

Yes, you could stream from plex before, but you were limited by the lack of CPU power and lack of H265 hardware decode. This one has a built in hardware H265 decoder and the CPU itself is about 3x faster per cycle so it should be able to handle almost anything you throw at it.

They also added POE support on the 3B+ last year. That's what the 2x2 pins in front of the ethernet port are for.

I've been waiting for this, but I have one lingering question....I use a pi 3 for a media box and love it, but it really doesn't handle h265 well at all because there's no hardware support.

Does the pi4 have hardware support for h265? I'd love to compress my library down and save some space.

I've been waiting for this, but I have one lingering question....I use a pi 3 for a media box and love it, but it really doesn't handle h265 well at all because there's no hardware support.

Does the pi4 have hardware support for h265? I'd love to compress my library down and save some space.

Yes. It can output 4k 60fps H.265.

Back