The PC is 'Rapidly Becoming World's Largest Gaming Platform'

HardOCP News

[H] News
The PC is rapidly becoming the largest gaming platform in the world? I thought everyone said that gaming on the PC was dead and dying?

"In terms of distribution, the way we look at a lot what's happening in the future is, we've got probably a billion PCs out there in the world," he continued. "Very rapidly the PC is becoming the largest gaming platform in the world, just not in a packaged-good product."

Becoming?

It IS the biggest single platform for gaming. It has way more titles that can be played on it than any console (ultima series anyone?)

Yes, the PC is the largest gaming platform, and I hate anyone that says it's dying or dead! I don't want my computer which I spend about $2000 to build being completely useless.

Now if only the game companies saw it that way.

+1 to that. I despise playing games that would be great if they had been written for the PC FIRST. Or worse, a game that comes out on PC and has a console only sequel. Where is the logic in that?

The biggest complaint is still intergrated graphics on PC's, but atleast now for 100 bucks, you can throw in a high quality graphics card strong enough to run almost any game maxed at 1680x1050...

last year you showed us articles on its way out... now its on its way in.

news flash: nobody fucking knows anything

Since noone in their right mind would release a new standalone gaming platform in this economy for the next few years... Yes, I'd say the PC gaming industry is doing just fine.

Consoles are fine for simplicity. I still greatly prefer playing Bioshock on the PC at 2048x1152 with a mouse and keyboard where you can do a 360 degree spin in less than a quarter second, and aim for the left eye instead of the right eye... Try that on a console ;)

i dont think i have used my wii in over a year, maybe since mario kart or galaxy. i got re5 for 350 and finished it in 2 or 3 days, and rockband 2 which was meh. but on pc in the last year there has been tf2, l4d, bioshock, deadspace, ra3, fc2. and thew average games like crysis warhead, fear2, etc are better than console games. and imo my death adder and g13 are better than any console contollers.

QFT!

The bottom line is that there are a LOT of PC's are there with hundreds of millions of shipments world wide annually, many times the number of consoles. Software of all kinds will be written for the PC, including games for the rest of all our lives IMHO.

PC gaming isn't going away, its simply part of the platform mix.

I would damn all if I lost access to my Steam accounts. The quality and collection of PC games I own on there alone is unmatched! Then I have PC games I still have boxes for, including all my Warcraft Collectors Editions, classic boxsets, etc.

PC Now and Forever!

The problem with the PC platform is that there are so many PCs out there with Intel Crap-O-Listic GMA graphics chips.

If all PC's had at least the XBOX360 level of graphics ability, the PC would be king.

The problem with the PC platform is that there are so many PCs out there with Intel Crap-O-Listic GMA graphics chips.

If all PC's had at least the XBOX360 level of graphics ability, the PC would be king.

True, but there are still millions and millions of decent PC's out there are well.

I'd believe it.

I was a console gamer and went to the PC back in 02. I only recently decided to give consoles a second glance.

If it was up to Microsoft, they'd eliminate PC Gaming altogether; unless it had forced GFWL support and made you use M$ points to get DLC's, etc.

The industry makes $10 bucks more on console games, then their PC game counterparts (check out your local store for stuff like Fallout 3 at release). Not to mention the ridiculously low pirate count on consoles (expensive burners, etc.), "Family Fun" games like Guitar Hero, BUZZ!, Quiz Games, Wii Sports, using your 360 as a DVD Player/Multimedia box, etc.

We gamers would have it much easier if companies paid attention to cues like this, about the PC platform back on the rise. Unfortunately their egos are so fucking huge, they think they can manipulate the market enough to control it entirely. Which isn't true right now... but is kind of becoming a reality.

QFT - now I'll sit back and grab some popcorn, as these topics always degenerate into a fanboy flame war.

I wasn't aware that the PC ever STOPPED being the largest game platform. There were rumours sure, but nothing changed....

Please we all know EA had nothing to do with this. If anything it was the fact the Blizzard announced SC2 and Diablo III that would make people go out and buy computers and start gaming! I am sure PC sales have been through the roof Korea..

Actually salt, peanut butter and eggs are now super bad for you.

Next year:
Studies show that salt, peanut butter and eggs are good for you.

looks like ea has finally pulled their head out the console markets ass... they saying this is HUGE and to top it off they now hate drm looks to me like the pc is due for a huge come back.

Yes, the PC is the largest gaming platform, and I hate anyone that says it's dying or dead! I don't want my computer which I spend about $2000 to build being completely useless.

Just wait a year or two, it'll only be worth ~$600. A couple years more and it becomes the machine to check the weather on.

This may or may not be valid to this article but it was a random thought that occurred to me as I read, but isnt the only proprietary aspect of a console the format/media type and controller? I mean as far as todays consoles are concerned.
Why cant console makers sell a PC compatible optical drive and USB game controller to run console titles on PC? This would be especially beneficial to PC gamers who want to play console specific titles. I imagine that a loader software may also be needed, it wouldnt quite be the same as emulating because the necessary decoding would be built into the the optical drive.
I can see a potential argument of overall compatibility given that console game developers can develop a game with a specific set of hardware in mind, vs making it support PC hardware in general.
Perhaps a bit more in R&D but could open "console games" up to a larger market

Just wait a year or two, it'll only be worth ~$600. A couple years more and it becomes the machine to check the weather on.

I spent 600$ on video cards 2 years ago and now they are equal to about a 170$ new video card. :(

I spent 600$ on video cards 2 years ago and now they are equal to about a 170$ new video card. :(

Yep i know the feeling, I got an 8800 Ultra OC Edition from MSI for 599.99 when i built my PC, also the ram... DDR2 was like 200 bucks for a 4GB kit now its like 40-50

youd think that if they would allow console owners to UPGRADE , they would make a killing on upgrades alone just like the PC.

youd think that if they would allow console owners to UPGRADE , they would make a killing on upgrades alone just like the PC.

They'd rather come out with new consoles every few years and make you pay the price for a whole unit.

The gaming market is growing in all area's but PC is doing well I think because this gen sucks in comparison with previous gens.

If the Wii had some good game's from 3rd party.
If the PS3 came out on time with some good games.
If the xbox360 had free live and didn't break.

there would be a lot more pressure on the PC market and this and I think "analyst" didn't take the follow factors into consideration.

also the 9600gt became the staple for sub $100 gaming cards that can actually game.

They'd rather come out with new consoles every few years and make you pay the price for a whole unit.

Yeah, considering consoles are generally sold for a loss for the first year or two. :rolleyes:

Consoles work the way they work because developers only have to design for ONE set of hardware.

The biggest problem is, its much harder to make a good PC game. Why? #1, we dont take crap that gets shoveled out to be sold at Walmart or Target. #2, its a LOT easier to program for consoles, since the hardware is a known factor. PC's come in an unlimited number of configurations, and it gives game co's fits in QA.

So simply put, the investment is greater, and the risk higher. Console's are a "safe bet" to CEO's and the like, and making a port to a PC is a cheep way of making some extra money. When a shitty port tanks, they use that as an example of why PC gaming is dead.

PC gaming is not dead. Its just stuck between a rock, and a hard place.

This may or may not be valid to this article but it was a random thought that occurred to me as I read, but isnt the only proprietary aspect of a console the format/media type and controller? I mean as far as todays consoles are concerned.
Why cant console makers sell a PC compatible optical drive and USB game controller to run console titles on PC? This would be especially beneficial to PC gamers who want to play console specific titles. I imagine that a loader software may also be needed, it wouldnt quite be the same as emulating because the necessary decoding would be built into the the optical drive.
I can see a potential argument of overall compatibility given that console game developers can develop a game with a specific set of hardware in mind, vs making it support PC hardware in general.
Perhaps a bit more in R&D but could open "console games" up to a larger market

They've spent years and lots of money making consoles as secure as possible to slow down cracking, ripped game proliferation and cheating.
Chance of them taking a backward step is slim.
Also they would have to open up the gaming networks to PCs which is a large increase in complexity.
Not going to happen.

The vast majority of "gamers" on PC play solitaire and the Sims. Crysis is a foreign word to them.

Computers can be upgraded and keyboard and mouse is bar non the best gaming interface for 99% of games. I gave up on consoles a good while ago if for no other reason than the controllers really pissed me off after using a keyboard and mouse. I did buy a Wii and it was fun, but the novelty of the controllers wore off after beating zelda and not having any really good games after to take advantage of the unique controllers. Mario cart and Super smash brothers were ok, but not good enough to keep me playing with it.

Back