The Order: 1886

I like short linear movie-games, so I might enjoy this. I hate QTEs though... who actually does?

I always wait for prices to drop, so maybe I'll pick this up in a few years.

I agree with the tacked on multiplayer up to a point - if it's being developed by a separate team and doesn't affect the single player portion of the game - so be it. It's not doing any harm and it does give the game some added value. If it's taking away from the singleplayer experience, then cut it. Lets not sacrifice a great single player (or multiplayer experience) to tack on a 'bullet list' feature. I haven't played the DAI multiplayer yet (and don't have any desire to), but the multiplayer from ME3 was fun.

For The Order, it feels to me like it should've been a launch title. I think a lot of its flaws could've been looked past (it's great looking afterall) and would've been viewed as a taste of things to come. In this case, it's being released when the overall quality bar has risen for the new consoles - pretty graphics won't cut it after the honeymoon phase is over with a new console.

As for paying $60 for a new singleplayer game with limited replayability: why would I pay $60 to purchase a game, beat it within 7-10 hours, and have it sit on my shelf if I felt like playing it again at some point; Or I could just rent it for a weekend at $8, beat it within 7-10 hours, and just rent it again down the road (or wait for a hefty PSN discount) if I really feel like playing it again.

I dunno, maybe I'm being cheap, but that's hard to swallow.

I like short linear movie-games, so I might enjoy this. I hate QTEs though... who actually does?

Games with good QTE events:

Shenmue
God of War (because it would be a complicated button command to rip our a giant's eye, cut his head off, then shove the eye down the giant's stump neck)

Last edited:
Games with good QTE events:

Shenmue
God of War (because it would be a complicated button command to rip our a giant's eye, cut his head off, then shove the eye down the giant's stump neck)

GOW is probably the best example of them. During combat, using the QTE finisher is optional, and gives a different reward versus a traditional kill. They are also more complicated than your average QTE. Some of the stick mechanics didn't work so well though, IMO.

Shenmue I don't really agree on. Maybe it's just been too long since I've played, but I recall them being pretty basic, and sometimes very tedious. I loved Shenmue, but that doesn't mean it was perfect.

I thought Shenmue was cool just because it got there first with the QTEs. The game doesn't hold up well over time though.

I thought Shenmue was cool just because it got there first with the QTEs. The game doesn't hold up well over time though.

Shenmue was cool not because of the QTE, but the story line was actually decent. Still one of my fav game of all time and I hope they decide to finish the chapter so I can avenge Ryu's father's death.

Shenmue was cool not because of the QTE, but the story line was actually decent. Still one of my fav game of all time and I hope they decide to finish the chapter so I can avenge Ryu's father's death.

I think its probably the only time QTE has been done properly. The problem is with most games now missing a QTE is impossible and theres no real consequence. QTE in Shemue can actually be tough and in certain parts really fuck up your day if you miss as I recall. *Note to self go start shenmue II*

I think its probably the only time QTE has been done properly. The problem is with most games now missing a QTE is impossible and theres no real consequence. QTE in Shemue can actually be tough and in certain parts really fuck up your day if you miss as I recall. *Note to self go start shenmue II*

I think it was in Shenmue II where there is a QTE sequence where you're in a market area and you're chasing a guy down and he throws stuff at you and a QTE sequence starts out of no where. Yeah, that messed me up.

Also does anybody else think that Gamerscore and Trophies in games have kind of set back gaming in general?

I know I had a strong desire to complete games back then even without trophies/GS. But now its being shoved down our throats that the OCD in me sometimes feel the urge to actually completing them rather than fully enjoying myself in the game itself.

I still enjoy myself in games, I'm just saying that maybe developers are worrying about trophies and other things rather than focusing on the actual game play nowadays.

GOW is probably the best example of them. During combat, using the QTE finisher is optional, and gives a different reward versus a traditional kill. They are also more complicated than your average QTE. Some of the stick mechanics didn't work so well though, IMO.

Shenmue I don't really agree on. Maybe it's just been too long since I've played, but I recall them being pretty basic, and sometimes very tedious. I loved Shenmue, but that doesn't mean it was perfect.

Yea QTE's in GOW were more like rewards for real and normal gameplay and a stylistic way to finish off an enemy.

Shenmue's strength was that it had a really engrossing story line and its presentation was solid. It never abused QTE's the way they get abused today.

Its one thing to tell a story and just go linear and keep the player on a set path but if all of that isn't well fleshed out and engrossing then its the single most boring way to play a game. You have to have a really amazing story to give that game any chance to succeed.

One of the more recent examples of a game that's all QTE is Beyond : Two Souls and while I didn't enjoy the gameplay at all the story line was really quite good and the actors who played the main parts were excellent in the story. However the rest of the game was a hokey mess and used the supernatural as a cheap plot device.

The Order 1886 (I played two hours today , a friend preordered..) is entirely on rails and cinematic driven. Its boring it repeats several sequences throughout the game with little to no acknowledgement of doing so and for what it is and how hyped up it was its a complete failure outside of one factor .. its absolutely beautiful graphics. However the black cinematic aspect ratio bars are totally the reason why it looks so good. Not having to render hundreds of thousands of pixels gives you a significant PQ boost if you use it wisely (Evil Within I'm looking at you..).

Sony is extremely lucky Bloodborne will wash away the failure that is The Order 1886 because its only a month away and people will forget but Sony also better start really keeping a close eye on the studios it uses to prop up its new console during E3 events. You can tell the way the game is made that Sony's overall "eye" was barely on it. The warning signs of the pitfalls of this game I'm sure were self evident for quite a while.

What? Drive by?

A novice poster wanted advice on building a new PC. He used the term "PC Gaming Master Race". His thread was inundated with people whining about being triggered and complaining about how problematic that term is. Then he was warned that saying "PC Gaming Master Race" is ban worthy and finally his thread was locked.

Can you imagine a new poster on [H] creating an innoucuos thread asking for advice on a PC build, being met with people whining about being triggered by the term "PC Gaming Master Race", then getting threatened with a ban and having his thread locked?

NeoGAF is ridiculous.No.

You failed to click on the link I posted, assumed it was a drive by poster rubbing his sweet PC gaming rig in the face of console users when instead it was an example of the pathetic over sensitivity and political correctness that exists on that forum. Now you're trying to spin your way out of it.

Your passive aggressive dig at [H] is pretty lame as well. Maybe you should head back to GAF? I hear they're banning anyone who utters the word fanboy instead the correct term, "non-binary gender fan person".

They are very strict when it comes to drive bys and certain terms. If he was a new poster he should have been well aware as its a delayed registration. They have numerous PC discussion topics there.

I have nothing to spin, I answered your question and you still have not addressed my comments. You think GAF is Sony biased?

Explain the calls for Yosidas head on a platter and demanding he be fired from head of Sony WWS. The Order 1886 review thread is a disaster for RAD.

Your comments are completely off the mark, this forum is very much PC centric, GAF is basically gaming industry specific. Forums have different audiences and rules, sorry if you don't like that simple concept.

There is nothing passive aggressive about my posts, you're just wrong and have not posted anything in response to defend your claims just like most every one else in the Console forums. I don't beat around the bush when people post absurd notions just because they might get offended at the way other things happen.

Last edited:
That was a great read and nicely written! We really are spoiled with so many choices in games these days and it just makes it that much harder to impress or wow us!

A lot of people have said older games like Resistance Warhawk, Crackdown, original Halo, etc wouldn't have scored as high these days and their right.

But I don't think you can just shrug off The Order by saying "oh well it would have scored well 4 years ago". Everything is judged in the moment and this game is getting the scores it deserves imo.

I agree with the article but this has been known for awhile now.

They are very strict when it comes to drive bys and certain terms. If he was a new poster he should have been well aware as its a delayed registration. They have numerous PC discussion topics there.

I have nothing to spin, I answered your question and you still have not addressed my comments. You think GAF is Sony biased?

Explain the calls for Yosidas head on a platter and demanding he be fired from head of Sony WWS. The Order 1886 review thread is a disaster for RAD.

Your comments are completely off the mark, this forum is very much PC centric, GAF is basically gaming industry specific. Forums have different audiences and rules, sorry if you don't like that simple concept.

There is nothing passive aggressive about my posts, you're just wrong and have not posted anything in response to defend your claims just like most every one else in the Console forums. I don't beat around the bush when people post absurd notions just because they might get offended at the way other things happen.

While I agree with your assessment of NeoGAF, that's twice in this thread you've commented about "most every one else in the Console forums" not playing the debate game to your liking. I suspect you're unhappy that your special Wii U thread was locked and you will continue with these passive-aggressive swipes at the community here. But I think there is ample evidence that any of your perceived problems with this community are really just YOUR problem. You're the only one not getting that.

Has anyone else spent any appreciable time with The Order yet?

A lot of people have said older games like Resistance Warhawk, Crackdown, original Halo, etc wouldn't have scored as high these days and their right.

But I don't think you can just shrug off The Order by saying "oh well it would have scored well 4 years ago". Everything is judged in the moment and this game is getting the scores it deserves imo.

I agree with the article but this has been known for awhile now.

I think your assessment of how those older games would have scored is conjecture at this point. They scored exactly as they were meant to for the time. If I cherry picked a game from the 80's that scored well and it bombed now and it was one of the most beloved games of that decade it would be because tastes always change as time goes on.

Open world games have made games on rails with QTE's become quite off putting (FMV games already hit this wall in the early 90's). Beyond : Two Souls is a perfect example of this. Interesting story (a tad hokey) full of interesting sequences but its an on the rails QTE game. Some adored it and many did not. The Order falls into this category.

I think the reason The Order has bombed critically is because we are spoiled with games that offer massive replay value or far more user involvement and decision making. The Order has none virtually. And what it does offer is extremely curated and lots of gamers HATE the gaming experience being heavily curated.

I played The Order today. Spent 3 hours with it. I'll give my impressions of that now :

1. Beautiful. I mean staggeringly so. Its kinda funny I remember people wondering when Pixar like movies would become the gameplay of tomorrow. Well The Order crosses that threshold and its pretty damn amazing. Of course it cheats to do this with its fixed aspect ratio. The letterboxing is a sad reminder of how under powered "next gen" consoles are respectful to what we should have gotten (guaranteed 1080p 30 without letterboxing at least). Its still a benchmark of what magic an internal studio can create... graphically.

2. Story. Its not that great but its also lots better than I expected. Starts out very vague but by the (SPOILER) third hour it finally started to unfold. I don't intend to finish it since it doesn't compel me enough to do so. But its not quite as bad as some gaming journos are making it out to be. You don't feel the impact of decision making as this is not a Telltale game. Its the exact opposite. If you were expecting Shakespeare then go else where Hamlet because Denmark will still be here tomorrow :D

3. Controls. Its absolutely 95% on the rails. You have a very confined space to move through. You can't draw your weapons when you want and there is NOTHING to configure. No RPG elements to this game at all. If that is required for you then don't bother to read further. This is probably the third most heavily QTE'd game I've ever played (Heavy Rain is number one and Beyond : Two Souls is number two). If you don't mind giving up control and allowing the narrative to take you then you might not mind this so much.

4. Value. Nothing to due other than trophies after its done from what I'm told. No reason to go back , nothing to re-experience. Its a one and done game. So in short overpriced. I don't care if it took 5 years to make or the developers family needs my money to keep them going or blah blah. If the game is a one shot experience in today's world then its going to have to be an amazing one to justify its value to my bank account.

In my mind The Order : 1886 is not a $60 game. Its a pretty tech demo surrounding what is masquerading as a game. Its a show piece to demo what can be done with the PS4. It maxed out the PS4 fan when I was playing it so this could be the demo of the very limit of the PS4's graphical power and if so its still impressive but again also disappointing. If you must experience a well done QTE game then I highly recommend Beyond : Two Souls. Its a much better introduction into a heavily curated experience and the characters are FAR more fleshed out and you actually give a shit what happens to them. Also its dirt cheap.

Unless you simply must experience it for yourself don't buy it or at least wait for a dirt cheap sale in 3 months. Rent it absolutely just to gain a greater grasp of the controversy and form a better opinion on your argument. But don't buy it expecting a deep involving game you'll dwell on for years to come. Hope that helps you guys. I'm still pumped for UC4 and Bloodborne so even with this great disappointment Sony can easily recover and perhaps make the sequel or next new IP a bit less fixated hands off experience.

Last edited:
Nice review, Godmachine. I'll check this out at some point because points 3 and 4 generally don't bother me as long as points 1 and (especially) 2 are appealing. Just not going to pay $60 for it and I really don't want to trade anything I have now for it.

Thanks!

I'm loving this game so far. I'm currently on chapter VIII. Yes its very linear but that doesn't bother me so much. The combat, for me is perfect. There's just enough of it to make me feel like I'm doing something but not dragged out by making me kill wave after wave of dumb bad guys before I get to move on. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty but that still feels kind of easy.

And it is a fantastic game to look at. I'll see how I feel overall after I finish it but so far it's been worth the money.

I'm loving this game so far. I'm currently on chapter VIII. Yes its very linear but that doesn't bother me so much. The combat, for me is perfect. There's just enough of it to make me feel like I'm doing something but not dragged out by making me kill wave after wave of dumb bad guys before I get to move on. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty but that still feels kind of easy.

And it is a fantastic game to look at. I'll see how I feel overall after I finish it but so far it's been worth the money.
Same Im on chapter 4. Really liking it. This is my first true PS4 game and Ive been racking up screenshot after screenshot just because im amazed that a console game looks this good. I got the game just because the story intrigued me and Nikola Tesla designed weapons and gadgets. I have played about 2 hours and not disappointed yet.

Same Im on chapter 4. Really liking it. This is my first true PS4 game and Ive been racking up screenshot after screenshot just because im amazed that a console game looks this good. I got the game just because the story intrigued me and Nikola Tesla designed weapons and gadgets. I have played about 2 hours and not disappointed yet.

just beat the game.
yea game does look damn good for a console holy crap
honestly i'm pretty satisfied with this game but i loved heavy rain and twin souls so i'm probably in minority

I just finished it a few hours ago and this game was awesome. For all of the critics, I would say this game is like a very enjoyable action movie, sure it's not going to win any major awards and go down in history as a classic but it can still be a very enjoyable experience that had you glued to your seat until the end, that's what this game is to me.

I think your assessment of how those older games would have scored is conjecture at this point. They scored exactly as they were meant to for the time. If I cherry picked a game from the 80's that scored well and it bombed now and it was one of the most beloved games of that decade it would be because tastes always change as time goes on.

Open world games have made games on rails with QTE's become quite off putting (FMV games already hit this wall in the early 90's). Beyond : Two Souls is a perfect example of this. Interesting story (a tad hokey) full of interesting sequences but its an on the rails QTE game. Some adored it and many did not. The Order falls into this category.

I think the reason The Order has bombed critically is because we are spoiled with games that offer massive replay value or far more user involvement and decision making. The Order has none virtually. And what it does offer is extremely curated and lots of gamers HATE the gaming experience being heavily curated.

I played The Order today. Spent 3 hours with it. I'll give my impressions of that now :

1. Beautiful. I mean staggeringly so. Its kinda funny I remember people wondering when Pixar like movies would become the gameplay of tomorrow. Well The Order crosses that threshold and its pretty damn amazing. Of course it cheats to do this with its fixed aspect ratio. The letterboxing is a sad reminder of how under powered "next gen" consoles are respectful to what we should have gotten (guaranteed 1080p 30 without letterboxing at least). Its still a benchmark of what magic an internal studio can create... graphically.

2. Story. Its not that great but its also lots better than I expected. Starts out very vague but by the (SPOILER) third hour it finally started to unfold. I don't intend to finish it since it doesn't compel me enough to do so. But its not quite as bad as some gaming journos are making it out to be. You don't feel the impact of decision making as this is not a Telltale game. Its the exact opposite. If you were expecting Shakespeare then go else where Hamlet because Denmark will still be here tomorrow :D

3. Controls. Its absolutely 95% on the rails. You have a very confined space to move through. You can't draw your weapons when you want and there is NOTHING to configure. No RPG elements to this game at all. If that is required for you then don't bother to read further. This is probably the third most heavily QTE'd game I've ever played (Heavy Rain is number one and Beyond : Two Souls is number two). If you don't mind giving up control and allowing the narrative to take you then you might not mind this so much.

4. Value. Nothing to due other than trophies after its done from what I'm told. No reason to go back , nothing to re-experience. Its a one and done game. So in short overpriced. I don't care if it took 5 years to make or the developers family needs my money to keep them going or blah blah. If the game is a one shot experience in today's world then its going to have to be an amazing one to justify its value to my bank account.

In my mind The Order : 1886 is not a $60 game. Its a pretty tech demo surrounding what is masquerading as a game. Its a show piece to demo what can be done with the PS4. It maxed out the PS4 fan when I was playing it so this could be the demo of the very limit of the PS4's graphical power and if so its still impressive but again also disappointing. If you must experience a well done QTE game then I highly recommend Beyond : Two Souls. Its a much better introduction into a heavily curated experience and the characters are FAR more fleshed out and you actually give a shit what happens to them. Also its dirt cheap.

Unless you simply must experience it for yourself don't buy it or at least wait for a dirt cheap sale in 3 months. Rent it absolutely just to gain a greater grasp of the controversy and form a better opinion on your argument. But don't buy it expecting a deep involving game you'll dwell on for years to come. Hope that helps you guys. I'm still pumped for UC4 and Bloodborne so even with this great disappointment Sony can easily recover and perhaps make the sequel or next new IP a bit less fixated hands off experience.

You must have misunderstood me or I wasn't clear, your post is exactly what I was trying to say. Games are rated and received for their time. They would probably score lower due to advancements in the industry.

While I agree with your assessment of NeoGAF, that's twice in this thread you've commented about "most every one else in the Console forums" not playing the debate game to your liking. I suspect you're unhappy that your special Wii U thread was locked and you will continue with these passive-aggressive swipes at the community here. But I think there is ample evidence that any of your perceived problems with this community are really just YOUR problem. You're the only one not getting that.

Has anyone else spent any appreciable time with The Order yet?

Yea they are my problem, I've no issues with that man. But it's definitely a recurring problem not just with my posts but others where a debate starts and either one or both parties simply ignore points made and the discussion stops.

The Wii U thread could have been locked 300 posts earlier because no one would address simple questions. Just like his poster here, he continued to slam GAF when his points where completely unjustified and when presented with ample examples he continues and then stops posting without ever responding.

That happens all too frequently here and while many people do have great conversation it seems to only be an issue here as opposed to say the OS forum or News forum.

Never mind Soapbox or Graphics cards forums. If there were sections j would have thought that happens it would be there.

I think you articulated here exactly what the Forbes' article couldn't. These are the two main things I expect from a game these days. One is that what I do in the game, whether it be explicit decisions as a player or not, feels like it is having some impact on the world I am interacting with. To give a couple of examples of older games here:
  • Half-Life 2: Even though the player has no explicit choice on how the world plays out, the AI and characters are reacting to the things you're doing. With the AI you hear that in the ambient things they say during combat, and they become more aggressive as the game progresses. And it feels like the story characters are talking directly to you.
  • Doom 3: In contrast to HL2, all AI and characters are monotonous throughout. It feels like you're just going through the motions through to the end of the game. While the main character in both games have no voice of their own, Doomguy is being talked at instead of talked to the entire time. Certain things are expected to take place even as the world gets more grotesque as you move through the base. While a fun action game, the player feels like they have no investment in its world or its characters.
To me, this is why I think Half-Life 2 is a more beloved game than Doom 3. In games like The Order you're just a spectator to the world instead of being an active part in it.

The second is that the game is expanded in some way past the first completion. It doesn't necessarily mean NG+ and/or new story, but something that gives symbolic meaning to the money I spent and investing extra time into the product. These two things make a game feel "more than the sum of its parts," even though it was explicitly designed in such a way. Maybe it simply means going through the game again and discovering interesting bits you may have missed before. Or playing through on another difficulty.

Just like his poster here, he continued to slam GAF when his points where completely unjustified and when presented with ample examples he continues and then stops posting without ever responding.
Christ on a bike.

I said:
You'll have people lecturing you and bans being threatened on that forum if you make the mistake of using the term, "PC Gaming Master Race".

Nothing more needs to be said.

Your response was:
Absolutely something can be said, if by lecturing you mean folks trying (and failing) say it was the developers vision it's not really a bad game then that's an argument someone can make.

You responded with "But developers vision!" to a post about NeoGAF users being triggered by someone saying PC Gaming Master Race. How on earth does that make my point completely unjustified? My point was they whine about being triggered and ban people for saying PC Gaming Master Race.

In contrast to HL2, all AI and characters are monotonous throughout. It feels like you're just going through the motions through to the end of the game.
Actually this describes my feeling while playing HL2 perfectly... going through the motions. That's not to say Doom 3 was better (only played the demo), but it was the most on-rails FSP shooter I'd ever played. The story, characters, and some of the gameplay made up for it though. It was a good example of "cinema game" and how successful that can be.

If you want a semi-interactive gorgeous movie with a mediocre story to experience, this is the game for you. Otherwise, don't think twice.

Sometimes one opinion is more popular than another. Clearly this game is getting lots of thumbs down. It's ok, just nothing very fun.

And again...just your opinion.

I found it to be very fun. Doesn't really matter how many opinions say this or that. Everyone should judge it themselves or they might be missing out on something special. If all games followed the same cookie cutter formula for popularity and success, gaming would be very boring with little choice. With that being said, what is fun to you may not be to me and vice versa so that's why opinions matter little.

GTA V is super popular and gets outstanding reviews, but I find it childish, boring, and just not fun at all. Just my opinion obviously.

And again...just your opinion.

I found it to be very fun. Doesn't really matter how many opinions say this or that. Everyone should judge it themselves or they might be missing out on something special. If all games followed the same cookie cutter formula for popularity and success, gaming would be very boring with little choice. With that being said, what is fun to you may not be to me and vice versa so that's why opinions matter little.

GTA V is super popular and gets outstanding reviews, but I find it childish, boring, and just not fun at all. Just my opinion obviously.

I share your opinions. Yay us! :D

Started playing this. It is frickin beautiful. Lovin the story and voice acting as well. Don't mind lack of RPG elements or too many qtes. Had such low expectations that it is surprising me lol. Got it used for 45 bucks. Will finish it and resell for 40 bucks. Not bad for a 5 dolla hooker experience.

Christ on a bike.

I said:

Your response was:

You responded with "But developers vision!" to a post about NeoGAF users being triggered by someone saying PC Gaming Master Race. How on earth does that make my point completely unjustified? My point was they whine about being triggered and ban people for saying PC Gaming Master Race.

Sir you had far more issues with that forum than just that. I covered that specific statement later with a follow up post of which you never replied, you never replied to points made about every other complaint you had and won't.

I get it and am used to it, carry on.

@OP yes it still sucks.

It's like a hybrid of Beyond Two Souls and Gear of War without the multiple paths/endings or fun.

Played through it in one evening. I took my time going through but it still was very short.

I was really surprised how mediocre the shooting sections actually were. In many areas it essentially encourages you just to stay put and shoot everything from one spot as it spawned more fodder for you to shoot. I had zero interest in replaying any of shooting sections after doing them once, the mechanics and AI are as bare bones/scripted as you can get.

I think you spend more time walking slowly through pretty environments in this game then you do in dear esther. This 'game' would really have benefited from making the story more interactive instead of just having a halfass shooter with some repeated qte's in between the cutscenes.

On a positive note it easily has some of the best texture work I've ever seen in a game or even real time techdemo's. I wouldn't doubt many other game's have higher res textures and are more 'technically' impressive but they still don't look as real as this game does. They also nailed recreating the motion blur you get from film, it's literally perfect with the pitfalls of it and all.

Last edited:
Redletter Media nailed it. They made a very sound argument about how awful and childish this game is. Its truly a forgettable experience written by a 9th grader.

The ending of this video , if you stay for nothing else , is fucking gold.

http://youtu.be/vG0zJ89Fv8c

Redletter Media nailed it. They made a very sound argument about how awful and childish this game is. Its truly a forgettable experience written by a 9th grader.

Rofl yea they broke it down very well and I loved the comedic approach to it.

Game is trash man, I can only hope they take all this criticism and build on their engine with an actual coherent game next time.

It would have been ten fold better had they had most everything they are getting hammered on.

It looks pretty though /shrug

That video is fantastic. I love how you need to kill ~70 dock workers before seeing the proof that you needed to kill those dock workers, lolololololol

Rofl yea they broke it down very well and I loved the comedic approach to it.

Game is trash man, I can only hope they take all this criticism and build on their engine with an actual coherent game next time.

It would have been ten fold better had they had most everything they are getting hammered on.

It looks pretty though /shrug

Its beautiful game no question but graphics alone is just a hallow experience. If they had bothered to write a decent story I think I could have looked past the pitfalls of the gameplay. But they failed miserably at it.

Back