The Ora R1 Is a $8,600 Electric Car from China

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Jan 21, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

The Ora R1 is an ultra cheap, electric car from the Great Wall Motor company in China. It has a price range of $8,640 - $11,293, a max range of 194 miles and is designed to appeal to the "urban youth." The car awakens by saying "Hello Ora" and comes in 5 colors. Car buyers in China purchase 400,000 small electric cars a year, but the central government wants its citizens to buy 3 million electric vehicles a year. BMW has signed a deal with Great Wall Motors to manufacture MINI electric vehicles in China. The company has set a goal to sell its electric cars in the European market.

"We have the vision to become a market leader in the electric vehicles segment in China," said Ning, who is also general manager of Ora. "Our cars are designed and built in compliance with international standards and we definitely set our sights on international markets including Europe."

2. NWRMidnight

NWRMidnight Limp Gawd

It's the Yugo/Pinto/Vega of Electric cars!!!

Armenius, katanaD, Wierdo and 6 others like this.
  3. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

That looks hideous.

Armenius and ltron like this.
  4. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Will this be as hot as all those Chinese made hoverboards from a couple years ago?

5. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

I'd assume the new flaming Pinto :p

Armenius and mynamehere like this.
  6. Vader1975

Vader1975 Gawd

I just want them to step foot out of China with it and see all the international patent lawsuits it will cause.

7. halo000008

halo000008 Limp Gawd

In addition to the patents I'd love to see the safety ratings!

8. motqalden

motqalden [H]ard|DCOTM Feb 2018, June 2019

This is the price point that would cause me to buy no questions asked.

BloodyIron, N4CR, lilfiend and 6 others like this.
  9. GlowingGhoul

GlowingGhoul Whines about Whiners

They have all the patents required.....they were downloaded along with the rest of the engineering documents and code stolen from the Western companies who actually did the work.

10. Twisted Kidney

Twisted Kidney 2[H]4U

11. gordon152

gordon152 [H]Lite

Hate joining in the skeptic parades, but I'm wondering how much of that price is government subsidized? I'm sure if Tesla wanted to make a bare-bones featured Tesla that looked god awful and had the government subsidizing over half the price, they could match those numbers.

lostin3d and Shadowed like this.
  12. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Right, after phones and ecigs are banned on flights.. you think i'm gonna drive around that same crap batteries..... nope!

Armenius and mynamehere like this.
  13. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Are cars going to end up like toilets, showerheads, and phones where I have to quietly buy the not American corporate/California approved versions from China direct?

14. ecuador

ecuador Limp Gawd

?? Is the "urban youth" supposed to have shit taste?
    "Designed" is a strong word for this "car"...

Armenius and N4CR like this.
  15. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

I would rock that all over town for my running around.

I can't wait to the Chinese come over here and build those. $10K .. all day long.

Electric cars are about to revolutionize the world over.

Cheaper, a lot less parts, a lot less maintenance.

You young people .. don't make the mistake and buy a new car .. ever. I don't care how much money you have. Get pre-owned, pay a lot less. Trust me, over a 20 year period it will save you $50,000 dollars. That's a hellva chunk of money.

16. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Which is exactly what I've been waiting for. Screw the big monsters. I want small and cheap electric cars for the cities. Everything else is for hookers and fat people.

The electric car is going to revolutionize things because now almost everyone can make one. Good luck developing your own ICE lol

N4CR and Wrecked Em like this.
  17. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Chevroelt-Volt-12v-fire-via-GMV.jpg
    In fairness the Chevy volt had it's own problems with uh unintended combustion.

lostin3d likes this.
  18. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Upside, As I understand it, dearth of EV parts and supply chain infrastructure have been teslas major hurdle. A few million electric vehicles would help manufacturer infrastructure develop.

There are differences on how it may play out, but I am old enough to remember when cheaply made Japanese copies was the issue.

Wierdo and Wrecked Em like this.
  19. velusip

velusip [H]ard|Gawd

This must be part of that 'race to zero' trend -- in product price and quality to match the average dropping household income.

I mean, it's bad here too, but China is clearly winning.

20. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Between subprime meltdown and cash for most of a decade the used car market was terrible. Not uncommon to find an 80k mile vehicle no warranty at 70% price of new. Used car options and prices have improved a lot last 3 years. I have started shopping used cars again. But keep In mind that used car supply can dry up overnight.

21. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

At that price you know someone on youtube will do a "break down" type of video, which would be cool, except sold only in China there probably would be a government imposed censorship on all information about them.

22. dr_drift

dr_drift Limp Gawd

I see that you have "horrific fiery death" on your bucket list.

Shoganai and GlowingGhoul like this.
  23. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

Electric cars are not suppose to be cool or attract hot chicks. I think it looks good for what its meant to do, get you from point A to B. I can see a lot of Windows 10 users buying this car.

24. Laowai

Laowai Gawd

It will sell.
    There are a number of rental companies I'm fairly sure will snap up a bunch of these. There are already tiny electric rental cars all over the city I live in and they look worse and likely perform worse. I'll try to grab a picture of one of those shitboxes next time I'm out and paying attention.

Wrecked Em likes this.
  25. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

At least here in California, a good used car (from a reliable brand) often isn't that good of a deal.
    Even back in 2006, when I was looking for a minivan for the wife, a new one (year end deal with a rebate) was only about 10% more than a 4 year old one with 50k miles.

SticKx911 likes this.
  26. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Chinese batteries are junk. They buy tons of electric scooters and cars every year in china because they don't last more than a year before failing or firing

dr_drift likes this.
  27. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

Well, Eventually the Chinese goverment will say buying an electric car is mandatory there, so then they will sell a bunch of 'em....lol

Brian_B likes this.
  28. Budman

Budman I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!

So that is where all those faulty Samsung Note 7 batteries went to?

kirbyrj likes this.
  29. shspvr

shspvr Gawd

Hey now I owned 72 Vega Panel Express with GT kit install there nothing like friday night at the drive-in back in 80's

30. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

It would be significant, but we don't know the figures. Subsidies and kickbacks would be pretty well hidden given how things are in PRC.
    Why do you think that the Chinese are very, very keen on having Tesla get a Gigafactory going?

31. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

The quality of what China exports and what they keep in country are not comparable. Did none of you watch the PRC heads chew out a bunch of CEO’s because they bought some shitty pens?

This car will probably do pretty well and have an OK safety record. GwM pretty much sets the standard for most of what is on the road there... not to say that’s great but when a pair of ping pong balls collide the bounce off each other not many American made bowling balls on the road there.

32. Soulmetzger

Soulmetzger [H]ard|Gawd

No babies are being made by guys who drive that.

33. Reimu

Reimu [H]ard|Gawd

On a somewhat serious note, it doesn't matter since Chinese guys can't actually get girls due to the severe gender ratio imbalance caused by the one-child policy in PRC.

Wrecked Em likes this.
  34. iamjanco

iamjanco Limp Gawd

35. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

I think it would look a lot better with slightly different lines. The hubcaps are what are absolutely horrid. Stick some nice aluminum rims on there and it will look a whole lot better.

36. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

The UI on that tablet is so unresponsive, hate to see how it would perform 5 years from now XD

37. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Let's see how they do in Euro NCAP tests first...

PaulP likes this.
  38. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Hold on. Where are your facts coming from? I worked for a car dealership in college and now 13 years in the banking industry... nothing I have seen in two decades is nearly close to the numbers you are presenting.

39. Dodge245

Dodge245 Limp Gawd

Front end looks like a fiat 500... I do wish we had EVs in this price bracket, but I don't want a Chinese copy, also watch out for a million BMW mini copies..

40. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

Not a terrible golf cart.

Wait. It *is* a golf cart, right?

mynamehere likes this.