The official Red Orchestra 2 thread

Server browser screen is hugely laggy for me too, for want of a better word. Drops down to 1 FPS and locks up for 5-10 second periods.

Game's promising, though. Not familiar with the original so the interface is new to me and seems quite unintuitive but that might just be the fact that I've been awake 24 hours. Bothers me that you get the "you are bleeding, hold CTRL to bandage" message as soon as you take any damage, no matter the terms. Considering that 90% of the time if you are hit you are instantly dead it seems a bit redundant to have it mocking you at the bottom of the screen as your corpse slithers down a hill.

This happens when it is updating the list. You have to wait until it is done then it works fine.

lol i love this screenshot

wzNPQ.jpg

nice one AMD

Looking forward to this big time. I think it's going to deliver the substance in spades.

Game is clearly not ready for release. As much as i like the gameplay, it's so bug ridden two weeks before release that it's sad. 8/10 times i can't even get into a game because the game crashes. And no, it's not me, it's all over tripwires forum as well. The game has so much potential, but man, it's early beta stage at best and with only 2 week to go to release, this will be an uphill battle.

The actual game play was not buggy for me, now the server browser and launcher is a whole different matter, I would say I got into the game about half the time. It would be much worse for me if the actual play was buggy, and that is not something i experienced this morning. So far so good.

Game is clearly not ready for release. As much as i like the gameplay, it's so bug ridden two weeks before release that it's sad. 8/10 times i can't even get into a game because the game crashes. And no, it's not me, it's all over tripwires forum as well. The game has so much potential, but man, it's early beta stage at best and with only 2 week to go to release, this will be an uphill battle.

Remember, the beta could be based on older code.

killing floor also had problems when it just came out, especially in the connection and server browser departments. KF is the game Ive spent the longest with for many years though - rome wasnt built in 1 day, good indie games arent either

Most of it is lag. If you get into a lag free server the game is pretty solid. I just got done playing for 3 hours straight.

I really wish I could have a recording of this moment. But I got into a close firefight where the guy had the jump on me, I panicked and switch to a nade, said "Fuck it" and threw it at him... here's the end result.

EB1F1AD39EAEA9FFA6ED64C8EA6202FD3238C808

lol.

For the damage models they really need to allow the clothing to be torn or something. It always looked weird when you'd see a guy get blown up by a tank sheel and all his limbs are missing but his uniform is pefectly intact and squeaky clean.

Missing limbs ftw! This game will own. There will be a very dedicated player base. The dev will support the game. We need to spread the word.

For the damage models they really need to allow the clothing to be torn or something. It always looked weird when you'd see a guy get blown up by a tank sheel and all his limbs are missing but his uniform is pefectly intact and squeaky clean.

It is that military discipline, cleaned and pressed uniforms no matter the circumstances.

Is the tank combat in the beta? How is that if anyone has tried it?

Also is the sniper "overpowered" for the person who gets to use it?

It is that military discipline, cleaned and pressed uniforms no matter the circumstances.

Is the tank combat in the beta? How is that if anyone has tried it?

Tanks are in. Tricky to get a hang of and I find the German ones far more effective.

Sniper doesn't seem to be overpowered. The way the optics work means you have to do quite a lot more work to shoot people than you do with the basic gun.

I should've been asleep instead I played this for 3 hours! Ugh 6am too soon time to climb in bed.

It's fun, I suck. Walls offer like zero protection!! I've been shot through so many walls it's unreal if you get in a fight with someone don't try and duck in cover just duke it out or they'll shoot you through the walls!

Sniper doesn't seem to be overpowered. The way the optics work means you have to do quite a lot more work to shoot people than you do with the basic gun.

Depends on how incompetent your team is.

The team I played against as sniper was very incompetent. I was having breakfast during that spree, too. Just picking them off.
But it's normal, it happened at the release of RO1 too. Some people are just slow with getting a hang of the maps, and the guy who hogged their sniper slot didn't try to shoot at me once. That's why you can vote people out of their roles for "poor performance" or "because I'd be better" and a number more great UI-selectable reasons :).

Btw, remember: "6" switches tank ammo as well as between scope and iron sights on the sniper.

If you haven't bought it yet, I refer to my post further up. People who bought the regular one on Steam can bug support for a refund and upgrade to the DDE, it's damn fun :).
Edit: Wah, the coupons don't work anymore.

Most of it is lag. If you get into a lag free server the game is pretty solid. I just got done playing for 3 hours straight.

Uhm, haven't seen no traces of lag on the infantry maps. If you have, the server you've been playing on is run by a moron :eek:.
(The tanks on Gumrak seem to like to warp a little sometimes, but I didn't play that map long)

Last edited:
I had a chance to play for a couple hours last night. Overall i was fairly impressed. The graphics are better than i expected. There not jaw dropping but all the screen shots havent done the game justice. I havent had any issues with performance especially after the patch with the server browser latency fixed. It really impressed me that within 24 hrs of releasing the beta Tripwire already put out a patch for it.

Game play wise i feel it holds true to original RO game play. its feels a bit smoother and maybe a bit faster paced, but i feel those are both positive things. The cover system takes a bit to get used to but overall i really like it. Being able to scout out enemies moving from a window and pop up deploy bi-pods and start shooting your MG quickly is really nice. I was uncertain about the... countdown? (i think that's whats its called) game mode but after playing it for a bit its actually pretty nice. The single life really forces you to take your time and think before acting. When you can sneak around and pull off several kills its really rewarding.

For being a beta i am really impressed with what Tripwire has done, if they continue to patch it and incorporate those fixes into the final product i think were going to have a really polished release (Which will put major developers to shame after the failed releases we have seen lately) I am glad i decided to support Tripwire early, i don't pre-order many games but Tripwire has always put out quality products and they have continued the tradition with RO2.

I'm just glad they finally allow a way for you to GTFO when you are prone and a grenade lands at your face, so much easier now.

I guess I should have explained what I meant by "overpowered" more. I was mainly wondering if it becomes similar to a BF jet situation (same concern I have with BF3) where there is a rush for the spot because it has a low risk/skill to reward ratio and it is extremely difficult (maybe even impossible) to counter unless you are a sniper yourself.

Tanks are in. Tricky to get a hang of and I find the German ones far more effective.

So the tanks actually have different performance characteristics? Or is it because the interface and "optics" making it better?

I was really hoping to like this game, but the more I play the beta the less I feel it is for me. I just can't get into it.

My only gripe with the beta is it seems there aren't any servers running full realism. I saw the mini-map, team names over everybody regardless of distance and pistols all around and cringed a bit. Here's hoping there will be a mode that will be exactly like the original RO in terms of gameplay.

My only gripe with the beta is it seems there aren't any servers running full realism. I saw the mini-map, team names over everybody regardless of distance and pistols all around and cringed a bit. Here's hoping there will be a mode that will be exactly like the original RO in terms of gameplay.

I have the other issue. I haven't seen names or team info over anybody so I can never tell who is on which side. This has lead to unfortunately several team kills.

I don't know. Part of it is I don't care for the maps. I have never been a run and gunner and have always preferred rifles only, but it seems every server I try everyone is essentially just prone and sniping. There seems to be no goal anyone is trying to accomplish. Also all the maps seem to be small tight quarters, and even when the map opens up people end up fighting in close.

At the same time since I am learning the game, I die constantly which is frustrating since I never see from where and it seems like every mode I have played I am always waiting for a respawn.

The rest I just can't put my finger on. I just don't get hooked and feel like playing long. I play for a little bit and then log off for the night to go do other things. I may just be over gaming.

Anyone else think it feels really clunky like ARMA? I am down for slow movement, but it just has this clunkyness to it that makes it actually annoying to move around.

I wish it could be smooth like call of duty or battlefield, yet slow paced like they want it to be.

The 'one frame thread lag' option gets me a minimum framerate dips no lower than 50, but the overall "feel" is like there's some sort of input lag. With it off, my minimum framerate dips into the 30's, but gameplay feels much much better.

I just pre-ordered last night and after all ive seen about the beta September 13th cant come soon enough.

I guess I should have explained what I meant by "overpowered" more. I was mainly wondering if it becomes similar to a BF jet situation (same concern I have with BF3) where there is a rush for the spot because it has a low risk/skill to reward ratio and it is extremely difficult (maybe even impossible) to counter unless you are a sniper yourself.

So the tanks actually have different performance characteristics? Or is it because the interface and "optics" making it better?

Not sure about the different performance, but the interface is definitely different on both. I think the German viewports are more user-friendly, and the guns/armour possibly superior. Might just be that they're more suited to my tastes.

Our server is in full realism mode:

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/208.167.249.45:7777/

Keep in mind that the minimap in right corner isn't controllable atm in any game setting, but it does only show teammates only.

I haven't even played relaxed realism :)
Had mine set to realism since a day and half before the pre-order beta phase launched.
I just wish realism came with "no auto-reload", "no auto-bolting" and "no minimap" options. Well, at least the first two. I don't hate the minimap.

Anyone else think it feels really clunky like ARMA? I am down for slow movement, but it just has this clunkyness to it that makes it actually annoying to move around.

I wish it could be smooth like call of duty or battlefield, yet slow paced like they want it to be.

the first one was sorta clunky also and had some clunkly looking animations, specially when prone and moving about on slopes.

realism has auto reload and auto bolt now? sucky, I guess two mouse clicks is one to many?

probably seeing the maps as smaller because that was one way to get the masses into the game. Much as I loved huge maps in the first one, it could be sorta annoying to run a long distance just to get popped before you could do anything.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into what happened later on in RO1 where they started added more position for SMG+ slots so it became more close quarters all the time and the rifle became a lesser postion. RO used to be close in that regard where most of the players on a team were riflemen, as it should be but no one wants to play as that, they just want to throw bullets around.

Last edited:

I kind of feel the same way but I think that's more about me having to get used to how this thing feels and works.

I can tell I'm going to be sucking some serious hind tit for a long time in it.

Not really. If you get into the game you don't notice it and have a blast!

I am about to preorder it mainly because of the mod support and low price. Otherwise I do not like most of the changes they made. Remember Rainbow 6 and Ghost Recon? The RO series is going down that path sadly.

Symmetrical balance rather than asymmetrical (PPSH drums unlockable). Bad game play decision that kills a lot of immersion and makes it feel like your typical BF/CoD in which the teams play exactly the same.

Less long distance maps, more CQC.

Game modes that are worthless such as Fire Fight. Odd spawning in Countdown and quick, short games.

They "sped up" the game in many areas in which they should not have. An example is reloading animations. As soon as you lock the bolt back in the K98K, your hand magically spawns 5 bullets and you and instantly inserting them into the magazine. The same is true for every other weapon - as soon as your hand is off screen it comes right back up in less than a second with a fresh magazine/bullets/clip. It takes time to pull those out of pouches, especially if you are retaining a partially used mag. Less thinking about when it is a good idea to reload or not as it is so instant. I liked how in RO1 you had to think a bit before you did something... now it is far too quick, unrealistic and makes it looks like quick paces gibberish like BFBC2 (though I did like that game).

Odd bandaging mechanic. Honestly, it looks useless. You bleed out far too quick and applying bandages is too quick. Why bother adding it in?

Unlocks, heroes, other corny things. Why bother?

Kill cams. What happened to playing carefully or using communication/team work to spot where the enemy is? If someone finds a good position and is constantly killing you, you should play more carefully to determine there location. Having the kill cam pointing out their location is lame. It works in a TF2 type game, but not in a "realistic" game.

Overall, a big step in the wrong direction. It looks far more like a generic BF type game. I liked RO for its different gameplay.

Flogger, since you said you are "about" to order it, have you played it?

Back