The Official HP LP2065 Lottery Thread!

LPL LM201U05-SLA1

definitely ips then... was there a backlight issue with these? i am really just curious for knowledge sake, it's not a big deal but i would like to know

Well, mine has some blacklight bleeding but that has nothing to do with being an IPS. That's a design issue.

Hello,

I recieved my HP LP2065 on Friday, and I am not sure what I have. Here is the revision information...

On the back of the monitor:

May 2007
REV:GSM002
PRODUCT OF NANJING CHINA

Firmware Revision:

REV.115

LCD Part Number:

LPL LM201U05-SLA1

If anyone would be kind enough to reply back to me, I would like to hear if my display is indeed an S-IPS panel. From what I have seen so far, "REV:GSM002" has been the deciding factor weather the panel is an S-IPS or not.

Thank you all,

I bought mine from eBay for $280.00. I though it may have been a good deal.

Thanks for posting a reply.

Ilight, On ebay, did you buy your 2065 from a store and if so, which one or did you get it in an auction?

Thanks!

Ilight, On ebay, did you buy your 2065 from a store and if so, which one or did you get it in an auction?

Thanks!

No, I bought it from a private auction, open to the public. It was a "Buy it Now" $280.00 ebay auction.

I've been stressing over which monitor to get for the past month. I've been set on the Samsung 204B for awhile, but recent reviews about poor viewing angles and color rendition has made me up my budget and consider IPS or MVA panels. So far this one is at the top of my list. My primary concern is no-ghost gaming, but I don't want to sacrifice too much on viewing angle and color for my frequent video and photo editing, is IPS right for me? (based on my research and this HP's low response time, I'm thinking so)

Are the IPS panels still available? I'm looking at getting one through Newegg ($350 after rebate), and someone said they got an IPS back in August, so I was wondering if I can still expect to get one.

Two days ago I took delivery of an HP LP2065, fully expecting to get one with an MVA panel (although I played every trick I could think of to get one with an S-IPS panel--see below). As soon as I dragged it into the house (and saw that it had a nice Forklift Derby hole in the side of the box courtesy of UPS), I looked for the product label and saw that I indeed had received a REVISION GSM002, manufactured in August of 2007. So now we know--HP still makes LP2065s with S-IPS panels, and you CAN get one.

How did I do it? I researched every variable I could (some after I had already ordered the unit--duh). I tried to find out what effect the model number has (if any), namely is an EF227A4#ABA (which is what I got) any different than an EF227A8? Does the fact that HP is running a Smart Buy on the A8 models (only) mean anything? Why are the A8's cheaper than the A4's (usually)? Why is the Smart Buy (rebate) limited to A8 models only? All I could come up with was that if your box said REVISION GSM002 on the outside, you probably had one with an S-IPS panel. Of course, this I learned after ordering and even after speaking to a representative of the vendor (more below).

So I went to Froogle, found a LOW price on an LP2065, and bought it. I thought I saw a mention on the site that it was an A4, which I figured was a good thing. I suspect that HP is blowing out A8's for a reason whatever it is, and assume that a more expensive model (like the A4) has a better chance of having a more expensive panel in it. Interestingly, the price shown on Froogle was $30 less than the price that showed up when I went directly to the website of the vendor where I bought it. Whether that was an aberration, evidence of a deal between the vendor and Froogle, or a warp in the space-time continuum I don't know, but I got off the site directly and went back through Froogle and bought a model A4 for $329 plus roughly $18 UPS shipping. This was late on a Friday night. I was nervous, but had a OK feeling about it. Maybe it was just wishful thinking. Then I got a call from the vendor Monday morning to verify my credit card info, after which I asked him whether I was getting an A4 or an A8 (just to check, since I'd seen that the rebate only works on A8's), to which he said, "I'll check... it's an A4". Cool, I figured--it's still cheaper than whatever NewEgg's selling AFTER the rebate, so I'll take a chance. I still really didn't think I'd get an S-IPS panel, but I was hopeful.

What shows up 2 days later? A REVISION GSM002 with an LG.Philips LM201U05 S-IPS panel. Version 115 (if 115 is a version, I forget--that isn't on the outside of the box as I recall), but the REVISION number is, and not only was it the right one, but seems to be the prime indicator of what's inside.

I know, where did I buy it? eBay? Nope. http://www.futurepowerpc.com . Can't say anything bad about them. UPS on the other hand is another story.

Good luck. I hope this helps somebody. By the way, I also have an LG L2000C which has the SAME IDENTICAL PANEL, and have had it for almost a year now and love it. I DID get that one at NewEgg before the price went up--it's REALLY high at most other places--but it's still a lofty $499 at The Egg. The HP is everything the LG is but with an extra DVI-D input, enough cables to hang yourself, a 4-port USB hub, and the best stand I've ever seen--better than the LG's, since it goes lower (and still pivots and swivels). HP did a great job with this product. No dead or stuck pixels, by the way. Drool is forming at the corner of my mouth just thinking about it.

Do the math--this deal is a steal. Call my vendor and see how it goes. No, I am not associated with them in any way (I found them on Froogle for crying out loud). Ask them to check the label--maybe they'll do it. Just ask the right question, not the one I asked (remember, it's all about the REVISION, stupid). Nothing else I could find seems to be relevant.

73, WA3FLE

Thanks, Criefman. I ordered one today. All the vendor could confirm was that it is an 'A4'. They couldn't confirm the revision. I'm crossing all of my fingers (and most of my toes) that I will get a S-IPS. It will take a week to get here since I'm out west - I will post the outcome here.

My LP2065 arrived today. Ordered through the vendor mentioned by Criefman.

My experience mirrors Criefman's almost exactly. The shipping box had a severe crush hole near the bottom of the box, right where the LCD panel is located. It didn't look good, but after I opened the box I found that the styrofoam around the panel was intact, and the panel was undamaged.

Anyway, my LP2065 is also a Aug2007/GSM002. I verified through the service menu that it has the LPL LM201U05-SLA1 S-IPS panel.

Hooked it up, and all is good. The price is great -- less than newegg (even after newegg's rebate). I wonder what the deal will be for panels with mfg dates after August 2007. If anybody gets a LP2065 with a mfg date after Aug2007, let us know what it is.

That's great, sadsac and Criefman.

So, do you guys have the flickering problem others with GSM002 have reported in the pass?

i recently bought 2 of these
1 was gsm002 LPL LM201U05-SLA1 firmware 1.14 june 07

the other was DOA

i just received the new one today

gsm001 june 06 LPL LM201U05-SLA1 firmware 1.10
does that mean this one is s-ips as well?

should i worry about the firmware version, can i update it to 1.14?

also it has saying it has been used for over 9000 hours and over 7000 for blacklight
does this mean that the monitor has been used before??

Wow, I have the exact same story. I finally purchased 2 of these monitors after an online Canadian store was kind enough to check to make sure they could ship me GSM002's.

Both monitors I received were GSM002, FW 1.15, July 2007, LM201U05-SLA1

One of the boxes had a huge gash at the bottom, right where the LCD panel faces. I thought it would be cracked or scratched for sure, but it was fine.

lp2065_box.jpg

These are my first LCD's so I was a bit surprised at the so so black levels and the backlight bleeding, but coming from dual 17" 1024x768 CRT's, these LP2065's are amazing. The purple color shift is a bit weird, but at normal viewing angles, everything is perfect.

Unfortunately, in one of the monitors, there is some debris in the top left corner of the backlight, causing about 4 pixels to be completely black. There is also one stuck or dead sub pixel, but it is so small, I hardly notice and it doesn't bother me.

lp2065_debris.jpg

The debris is an annoying problem. It distracts me every time I go to click on "File". HP has a zero tolerance policy on debris (contamination) so I called HP support yesterday and they said they would send me a replacement. It was a very quick and pleasant call and I was glad that I could compare the new monitor to the old one without sending it back first. This morning (less than 24 hours later) UPS delivered the refurbished unit. I was happy to see that the monitor was IPS. It was a GSM000, FW 1.10, June 2006. No pixel problems whatsoever.

The problem now though, is that the backlight of this GSM000 is very weak and yellowish compared to my GSM002's. The GSM000 actually has over 6,000 hours of use on it, which sucks. Because I am using these as a dual monitor set up, I would like to get them looking the same, but to do this, I need to set them as follows...

GSM002 6500K Brightness 0
GSM000 9300K Brightness 100

This gets the 2 monitors close, but not perfect, and I don't like the idea that I am using these extreme settings and the GSM000 is still too dark. I tried playing in other settings and also with the graphics card control panel, but no luck. So now I am trying to decide what to do. Keep the GSM000 that only looks good at extreme settings but has no pixel problems or keep the GSM002 that can be 100% color matched to the other GSM002 but has debris in the corner. I'm leaning towards the latter since I will be using my perfect GSM002 as my main monitor and won't always notice the debris in the secondary monitor. I could also fight with HP, but I'm not sure how far I'll get and how much time I'll waste with them. I did this with HP back in 1998 for one of the first CD burners on the market. It took me a year to get a refund!

Any suggestions?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread!

Ramone...

You are better off keeping the 2 GSM002 panels. This is because the newness of the panels match. By the way. You said that the panel with the debris was annoying when you went to file | whatever? Can't you just swap positions for that panel? If you swap positions for that panel, and place the debris one on the right side, then you will be using that panel for the desktop space, and not the application side. Anyway, I hope you the best!

:)

Men (and Women, if you exist anywhere in online forums),

Very cool that more S-IPS panels made in August 2007 seem to be available and are apparently orderable on a semi-predictable basis. Way to go sadsac for taking the plunge and getting lucky. Makes me feel pretty good that I might have helped somebody. It takes some courage to drop $350 on little more than an anonymous tip, so I'm thrilled that you were rewarded for your faith.

Or desperation, as the case may be--that was mostly my motivation. I needed another monitor and there is just so much crap out there that I took a relatively calculated chance. Widescreen just does not do it for me.

I'm not aware of any flickering problems associated with the GSM002, but my LG L2000C doesn't appear to have it so I guess I haven't really looked for it on the HP. I don't think I have any problems, however, since I'm pretty critical about my eyes and should have noticed. Got flourescent lights?

For example, forgetting for the moment that I once paid $995 for a Nokia 17" Trinitron that I still have and which works great, the LG I'm using replaced a 19" Sony CPD-G400 CRT that went black within its 1-year warranty period, was replaced for free by Sony with a refurbished one with only a 90-day warranty that itself began to go RED in under a couple of years. When I called Sony I was told that I'd have to BRING IT IN MYSELF to the only authorized repair center near me in the Northeast--in MARYLAND, which being from Pennsylvania sounded less than responsive--where they'd swap it with another refurb for a fixed price of $385 that I could then drive back home (if I recall correctly). Of course, I COULD have elected to ship it back and forth (sure). Excuse me? This is your service policy for a top-shelf monitor I originally paid $650 for? One that already failed once within a year (the same model, that is)? Sheesh.

So Sony and I got divorced, and I'll be trying that 4.7K-ohm resistor fix someday and hope that it works. But for now, that heavier-than-shite 400 sits face down on the floor as a constant reminder of what's wrong with BIG BUSINESS these days.

Not that HP is much better (or anybody else for that matter). Heck, Plextor told me my PX-716A that died in its 13th month was "NEITHER REPAIRABLE NOR REPLACEABLE", which is to say basically trash. Thank God for AMEX, who doubled its warranty and gave me every penny I spent on the thing, INCLUDING SHIPPING. There's a lesson there--the fee AMEX charges for that Green Card can really pay off sometimes.

But I digress. The LP2065 I received is nearly perfect as far as I can tell. That all the outer boxes are coming in viciously speared--my hole was actually deeper and not even taped over--is odd, I admit, although UPS ain't what it used to be, ever since they went public that is. Yet somehow I sympathize with their drivers and warehouse personnel, especially during the holidays. They work their asses off. So at the end of the day they get on their flame-painted supercharged forklifts and play tackle boxball once and a while--who can blame them?

Back on track, my guess is that the guy whose unit shows significant hours on it got a used, returned, refurbished, or otherwise "broken-in" unit. Mine showed zero hours on it, although I think it comes with the hours counter set to OFF as a default. It would be ironic if you could clear it--I forget as sit in front of my LG--and the seller didn't do that before shipping, (not that I'd ever do such a thing myself).

Carry on, mates. I got a good monitor but have had to fight off some life-threatening illnesses over the last decade, so you take your wins when you can get 'em. Not to get too personal, but on a parallel planet in another universe this stuff is all just a bit of nonsense.

73, Roger WA3FLE
a.k.a., Criefman
http://www.newlungs.com
http://www.ipfinfo.com

iLight, you're right, I should keep the newer monitor. Criefman, you're right, compared to life threatening diseases, this LP2065 thread is truly silly, but then again, I'm fortunate enough to have the time and energy to spend on this issue at the moment, so why not go for it?

That being said, I called HP to tell them that their refurbished unit was simply not acceptable and to my great surprise, they agreed to ship me a brand new replacement. Way to go HP! Hopefully that means a July or Aug 2007 monitor, which is more than likely a GSM002. And hopefully, no dead pixels! I'll keep everyone posted...

Has anyone received a GSM version of the HP monitor with the S-IPS panel in UK lately? If yes, where did you order it from?

;)

i used this thread as a guide to buying a s-ips version. i used froogle and found EF227A4#ABA model. according to a helpful customer service person, the box stated "July 2006" and "GSM001". so i bought it, and it just arrived. i immediately hooked it up to look at its menu. unfortunately, there was not much info there. the only thing that i was able to obtain from it was the version, 114, and its serial number. but there is no info on the actual screen model.
furthermore, the back was of no help either. it stated that the model number is EF227A, as well as the aforementioned serial number, date, and GSM001. yet once again, no reference to the screen model.
so, do i have a s-ips version? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

i used this thread as a guide to buying a s-ips version. i used froogle and found EF227A4#ABA model. according to a helpful customer service person, the box stated "July 2006" and "GSM001". so i bought it, and it just arrived. i immediately hooked it up to look at its menu. unfortunately, there was not much info there. the only thing that i was able to obtain from it was the version, 114, and its serial number. but there is no info on the actual screen model.
furthermore, the back was of no help either. it stated that the model number is EF227A, as well as the aforementioned serial number, date, and GSM001. yet once again, no reference to the screen model.
so, do i have a s-ips version? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

You need to press and hold the menu button on your monitor while turning it on, only then will you be able to access the hidden option in the menu that shows you what panel you have. To get to this option, after doing the aforementioned procedure, in the Main Menu go to Service > Display FW ver / LCD PN.

thanks for the tip. i did just that, and it states LPL LM201U05-SLA1. so looks like i got what i wanted. just to provide a little FYI, i bought it from alwayslowest.com for $355 with free shipping. i had the customer service person confirm the aforementioned entries on the box to make sure that ihad a firm shot at getting a s-ips screen. personally, i think that this is a steal for that price.
i also want to thank everyone involved in this thread. it took more time than i imagined to find a graphic-centric screen for under $400, but this thread made it all clear as to what i should be looking for.

I just recieved my HP LP2065 and it's a S-IPS panel. I ordered it from newegg. It cost me 370 after a $50 mail in rebate.

Hi everyone, this is a follow up to my post from 11-11-2007.

I finally got my non-refurbished replacement monitor and it is indeed a brand new IPS, GSM002, Revision 119, made in November 2007.

Way to go, HP!

Can someone tell me how to access the service menu so that I can check which panel is in a particular unit? Reason I need the instructions is that I am buying one from redflagdeals and I want to give the seller instructions as to how to check the panel type before I go over to take a look at it.

Thanks

Bought a LP2065 for $355 brand new in box of ebay which I received yesterday. GSM002, Rev 119, SIPS panel, November 07 Manufactured. Man is this thing awesome! Just wanted to let y'all know - the SIPS version is alive and well!

Hi, I have three questions that I don't see answered previously:

1) Do any local stores such as best buy or circuit city sell these? I live in central NYS. Seeing the box would make it easier to tell if it is IPS!

2) MacMall has the lowest price right now (much lower than newegg). Does anyone know if the $50 rebate would work with McaMall - are they an "authorized dealer"?

3) If model number A8 simply means it is the "smart buy" (same product, just cheaper), then why would anyone buy the A4 model instead of A8? Some resellers have both listed, and one of HP's sites (I think Canada) lists both (with same exact specs). Very odd way to give discounts!!!

2) MacMall has the lowest price right now (much lower than newegg). Does anyone know if the $50 rebate would work with McaMall - are they an "authorized dealer"?

I would infer from the store's ratings that buying from them would be a mistake. There are also two other stores that seemed to be owned by the exact same company and have the same prices -- PCMall and onsale.com.

3) If model number A8 simply means it is the "smart buy" (same product, just cheaper), then why would anyone buy the A4 model instead of A8? Some resellers have both listed, and one of HP's sites (I think Canada) lists both (with same exact specs). Very odd way to give discounts!!!

I would really like to know this myself. It does seem to be possible to get an S-IPS A8, but I don't know how common it is. I'm trying to decide between buying the Dell 2007WFP or this, but I can't find any reliable stores selling the HP. HP sells the A8 directly through their small business store here but I have no idea what their return policy is, and I certainly wouldn't want to end up stuck with the monitor if I were to get the AMM revision.

Pricegrabber.com has good ratings for macmall, but a coworker said he heard they are bad....reseller ratings are really bad, I'll stay away - thanks.

I wonder if I could call a dealer and simply state I only want the "GSM" or whatever revision, not the AXXX version.

I was told that onsale.com shaves $5 off the purchase price if you do a PriceGrabber review for them. MacMall probably does the same thing, which would explain the discrepancy between that and ResellerRatings.

I think most online stores won't let you request a specific revision, but it's worth a try.

Mine is an A4. From what I have read, you will probably have a better chance of getting a SIPS if it is an A4 than an A8. You should try to contact a smaller e-retailer and ask them if they would put eyeballs on the box for you to see what they have. Two of theses come to mind - Alwayslowest.com and futurepowerpc.com. Just tell them that you are only interested in the GSM002 ie SIPS panel and ask them to check it out for you. All they can do is say no, but if they want your business, they very well could play ball. Good Luck!

I saw a 22" HP at Staples tonight - Yuk! The screen was VERY shiney, could see my reflection in it. Is the LP2065 shiney?
I'll check those sites - thanks. Newegg replied and said they have no way to check stock - not surprising seeing they poribably have a bunch of overlapping warehouses.

Just got a lp2065 from newegg. I ordered it yesterday and it came from the NJ warehouse.

Rev GSM002
October 2007
Firmware Revision: REV . 115
LCD Part Number: LPL LM201U05-SLA1

I guess this is S-IPS? It looks awesome.

I ordered it from newegg. I live in NYS and it said a 1 day estimate to be delivered (hard to believe)...I assume (and hope) it's the NJ warehouse. I do a lot of phto editing, no games or movies.

I just received mine yesterday from hpshopping.ca:

GSM002, manuf. June 07, EF227A8#ABA, v.115

They scared me good though. On the box, the shipping label and packing slip both indicated model L2035. The UPC label on the box was correct, however.

It looks good for text and windows, but images are just fantastic!

Mine came, just started using it, seems nice so far. Dated Oct 2007 (yours is June - wow!) and GSM0002, so it's the IPS panel I assume. Luckily my old 9800 pro based video card has DVI and it works (I was previously using an analog 19" KDS monitor based on Sony flat CRT which was getting burry)..

Back