The Official HP LP2065 Lottery Thread!

What is that test image that you're using?

Actually, I checked again with another gradient test I found and I do get a little banding in the darker areas, but it's definitely not as bad as in your pic. It's very minimal and quickly disappears as the brighter areas moving. I'll see if I can take a pic.

Took some pics. Take a look:

Looks like it has cellulitis. :p
954e8b60.jpg

63ec0543.jpg

a6869677.jpg

What is that test image that you're using?

Actually, I checked again with another gradient test I found and I do get a little banding in the darker areas, but it's definitely not as bad as in your pic. It's very minimal and quickly disappears as the brighter areas moving. I'll see if I can take a pic.

I'm using gradlin-v0.2-fs, a small program found on a forum like this one while I was researching monitors. The banding is hardly noticeable in the lighter half of the scale.

Took some pics. Take a look:

Looks like it has cellulitis. :p

Thanks for the pics. Yours appears to have barely noticeable banding compared to mine. We'll see how mine does when the new video card arrives. What video card do you use?

I'm using gradlin-v0.2-fs, a small program found on a forum like this one while I was researching monitors. The banding is hardly noticeable in the lighter half of the scale.

I'm using the same program, except version 3.

Thanks for the pics. Yours appears to have barely noticeable banding compared to mine. We'll see how mine does when the new video card arrives. What video card do you use?
I use an EVGA 8800GTX. My rig is in my sig. :)

Edit: Downloaded gradlin-v0.2-fs, because of the colors used the banding is even less noticeable in this one.

So I bit the bullet and purchased one through a local Authorized HP Reseller (Synergy) and received the GSM002 revision and the S-IPS panel. So far so good, one stuck pixel in the middle right though :mad:

I can't quite tell if I have the flickering issue or not, I just picked it up on my lunch and put it on quick to test.

So I bit the bullet and purchased one through a local Authorized HP Reseller (Synergy) and received the GSM002 revision and the S-IPS panel. So far so good, one stuck pixel in the middle right though :mad:

I can't quite tell if I have the flickering issue or not, I just picked it up on my lunch and put it on quick to test.

Sucks to have a stuck pixel in the middle. A dead one you wouldn't even notice, but a stuck one shines. Can't you return it for another one? After all, it's a local dealer.

Ordered may 8 I think from newegg.
I opened before finding this thread so not sure how that changes returns. But I'm not happy at all. All reviewers on newegg said they got S-IPS.
Rev is AMM000 manufactured March 2007 says "MONITR PRODUCT OF CHINA". In the maintenance screen I had AUO starting string also.

One dead pixel in the red only, so mostly invisible unless solid red.
I read this whole discussion and then the thread on dpreview and did not learn what the difference between AMVA and SIPS technology.

Visually my complaints are that the gray shades of this forum for example appear silverlike, and like a reflective silver kind of color it's color changes based on angle and is the color of not being a solid color... In the middle I see a solid grey but the further out you go the lighter it gets.
White text has a similar issue that it looks ok from the front but has a glow to it from any angle to the left or the right.
I thought photos looked but I got this mostly to have big screen real estate and do coding and have a portrait capable monitor. The strange sheen-like quality has me moving my head around a lot, and this is even with no bright lighting in the back it seems reflective making text hard to read. Black text looks good head on but loses contrast and crispness with little angle.

Is this typical of AMVA? and would text be easier if it was S-IPS? Last LCD I've been looking at is 4 years old from a notebook that was low end back then, so I have nothing to compare it to.

This picture is from it mostly head on showing it lightening out to the left and right from the center and me using a color pick to confirm that it was all one color (Yep I really couldn't tell, I optimistically hoped the gradient I saw may have been real so was double checking.)
picture167fm0.jpg

This is from an angle but not that far from head on to the right side, but further angle to the left, and shows the color difference even more.
picture169dt7.jpg

I lost the lottery :(
picture176cropnr8.jpg

I might keep it anyway... What do you guys think?

That color shifting is a characteristic of the VA (PVA, MVA) panels.

Is up to you if you want to return it or not. Depends on your liking.

Personally, I would try to get an S-IPS, especially since I'm a gamer.

can you show me pictures of your LCD on this page? I obviously really want an S-IPS, but I don't know how I'm going to get newegg to let me return it. Anyone have any advice on how to handle that?

Just know that my camera sucks. These pics don't nearly do justice to how this images look on this monitor in person. :)

6d5cd717.jpg

dad47793.jpg

b2b9a289.jpg

bcf97bf0.jpg

1018a57e.jpg

bac4b05c.jpg

I'd like to bump this thread. I ordered an LP2065 on june 4 and got it on June 7. Unfortunately, it's an A-MVA, REV.AMM001, firmware 115, manufactured in China on March 2007.

I'm concerned that HP may have switched over to A-MVA only. I'm the second one in this thread with a March A-MVA and there have been no confirmations of S-IPS models manufactured after February. I checked Newegg and their most recent user review on the monitor was for an A-MVA model.

Before buying, I called HP customer support. I didn't want to colour the CSR's response by saying that I wanted S-IPS, so I began by asking if he had any information on which of the AMM00x and GSM00x revisions were in current stock and production. It took him a while to find anything on this, but he eventually found info from outside HP (not sure what that implies) to indicate that GSM002 was the "current" revision. He even noted that this had a LM201U05-SLA1 S-IPS panel, without me prompting him about the panels in each revision. It sounded like he was saying (though not in such explicit terms) that when HP switches to a new revision, they stick with it until the next newer revision. That impression doesn't match with the things people have said here in this thread, though.

Here are my impressions of the A-MVA monitor. I'm coming from 7+ years (holy crap that's a long time) of using a first-generation 15" 1024x768 TN Apple Studio Display (the one that came in original iMac translucent blue plastic). It was an excellent monitor for the time.

I like the appearance and ergonomics. The brightness and colour saturation are excellent. For watching video, this monitor is far ahead of what I had before.

Viewing angles are very wide. There is some colour shifting/shimmering when I bob my head around though. It's similar to what fasdl described, though not as bad (or maybe I don't mind as much).

I ran the tests on lcdresource.com. With some difficulty I could distinguish grey levels down to 3,3,3, after which point it all looked black. On my ASD there was no problem seeing the difference between 0,0,0 and 1,1,1. As for the gradient tests, most colours were okay. However, I saw banding with the green gradient, and the midtones of the grey gradient looked oddly violet-ish. My ASD showed all gradients perfectly.

I've heard that there's input lag on this monitor, but I don't detect any difference as compared to my ASD. Note that I don't have the catlike reflexes of a hardcore FPS gamer. I did try playing a fighting game, Soul Calibur 2, through my TV tuner. When I get home I think the next thing I'll do is try one of those reaction time programs and see if there is a difference versus my ASD.

When playing games, I do see blur and afterimaging. It's no worse than my ASD, but I would have expected better from a monitor advertised as 8ms GtG.

The part that bugs me most is the backlight bleeding and black levels. There is a lot of backlight bleed from the four corners of the panel. In a dark room (my usual home computing environment) a black screen is very obviously not black. Black is much darker on my ASD.

Due to the backlight bleed I think I'm going to try to exchange the monitor for another. Hopefully I can get an S-IPS in return. If the next one is another A-MVA, I probably will keep it.

I'd like to bump this thread. I ordered an LP2065 on june 4 and got it on June 7. Unfortunately, it's an A-MVA, REV.AMM001, firmware 115, manufactured in China on March 2007.

I purchased a LP2065 from Newegg on June 2, 2007, but I received a REV.AMM000 (firmware REV.115) manufactured in China on April 2007.

I have noticed some black light bleed from the lower corners mostly. Interestingly the brightness setting actually affects the back light intensity level, instead of altering the visibility of the dark gradient levels. Even at zero brightness (which greatly reduced the back light bleed) I can still perceive almost down to first level of a 255 gradient.

For me though the greatest problem was color banding. Which showed up as uneven steps between gradients and a slight change of tint towards red (a bit of blue as well creating something like the violet you describe) even after reducing red to 60 in the RGB settings.

So I submitted a case to HP support and they are sending a replacement. (Crossing my fingers for a S-IPS, or hopefully a much better functioning monitor of the current revision.)

Fearrun

Has anyone got a Rev.GSM002 S-IPS panel in UK over the last couple of weeks?
I got mine 2 months ago and fortunately I received a GSM002 revision S-IPS panel and I am currently thinking of getting a second one. Any chances I might get a S-IPS GSM revision at the moment?

I just received mine from amazon.com. It was AMM000 manufactured in April 2007. For those who contacted HP for an exchange, did you get a S-IPS?

I just received mine from amazon.com. It was AMM000 manufactured in April 2007. For those who contacted HP for an exchange, did you get a S-IPS?

Unfortunately, I received another AMM000, manufactured in April 2007, as my replacement.

The thing troubling me the most though is that the replacement is still exhibiting color banding issues in the same manner as the previous. It consists of uneven stepping and a slight change of tint favoring red with a slight blue cast.

Even with contrast set to 100 (which makes the highest white levels indistinguishable) and RGB all set to 100 it still exhibits significant amount of banding. I have not noticed this behavior in other LCDs but when adjusting (observing each in its matching gradient); blue barely affects the gradient, red the gradient shifts unevenly, green has the greatest change, where the visible gradient levels quickly reduce (almost at the same rate when contrast is reduced).

Brightness adjustment (even at zero) still has no affect on visible gradient levels and appears only to reduce the level of the back light.

I will probably attempt another tech support request with HP in a few days.

Fearrun

Hmm, for some reason I can not access the fourteenth page, where my last post should be...

Sucks man. Seems the era of the S-IPS LP2065 is over. Too bad there aren't more many S-IPS monitors around. I don't even know of another 1600x1200 non-glossy S-IPS.

Hi,
I received my LP2065 yesterday -- a GSM002 from May 2007. I'm very happy with it, except I'm not sure if it's missing a part or not. I've owned several LCDs in the past, but this is my first 20" and my first from HP.

On the back of LCDs, I'm used to them having some sort of backplate, usually made out of plastic, that snaps in and out and hides such things as all the fine print on the monitor (model #, serial #, certifications, etc.), DVI connector of a cable, and so on. Once you have the backplate in place, all you see are various cables coming from the monitor -- it's just more attractive than without the backplate.

What I'm wondering is this: Is this monitor designed to not have any sort of backplate?

I've already spoken with various people at HP. Tech support seems to know what I'm talking about, but they say they can't help me. Other departments don't know what I'm talking about. I've really gotten the runaround and been transferred from department to department yesterday and today. Ultimately, I haven't been able to confirm from HP whether or not I'm missing a part.

Can any of you who own this LCD help me out here? Do you have a backplate?

Thanks!

Hi,
I received my LP2065 yesterday -- a GSM002 from May 2007. I'm very happy with it, except I'm not sure if it's missing a part or not. I've owned several LCDs in the past, but this is my first 20" and my first from HP.

On the back of LCDs, I'm used to them having some sort of backplate, usually made out of plastic, that snaps in and out and hides such things as all the fine print on the monitor (model #, serial #, certifications, etc.), DVI connector of a cable, and so on. Once you have the backplate in place, all you see are various cables coming from the monitor -- it's just more attractive than without the backplate.

What I'm wondering is this: Is this monitor designed to not have any sort of backplate?

I've already spoken with various people at HP. Tech support seems to know what I'm talking about, but they say they can't help me. Other departments don't know what I'm talking about. I've really gotten the runaround and been transferred from department to department yesterday and today. Ultimately, I haven't been able to confirm from HP whether or not I'm missing a part.

Can any of you who own this LCD help me out here? Do you have a backplate?

Thanks!
I don't think this monitor comes with any back plate. Mine didn't.

I'm happy to see that S-IPS LP2065 are still showing up! :D

MakubexGB said:
I don't think this monitor comes with any back plate. Mine didn't.

Well, that clears up that mystery. I think it's peculiar, though, that it doesn't have a backplate. Maybe they figure most users have their monitors positioned in front of walls, so no one will ever see the rear. And I suppose they'd probably be right in that thinking. I may have to redesign my home office.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

MakubexGB said:
I'm happy to see that S-IPS LP2065 are still showing up!
Indeed. If anyone is curious where I got mine, I ordered it directly from HP. They sell it through their small/medium business department. It arrived within a week of ordering. No dead pixels. I'll be using it for a variety of tasks in both landscape and portrait mode.

I hadn't actually contacted HP yet about exchanging my monitor. Yay for having so much work and such long hours that I can't spare a call to an 8am-8pm support line.

Small correction: I said AMM001 in my first post. It's actually AMM000.

I found that the banding on my monitor changed dramatically depending on the contrast level. Try bringing up a gradient then fiddling with the contrast so you can get real-time feedback.

I then tried the HP Display Assistant to calibrate my colours. I found that this also improved the gradients somewhat, and reduced the violet tinge on the 20% point of the greyscale gradient. However, it ended up giving me a slight green tinge at around 5% for all gradients. I prefer the green to the alternative.

Dropping my brightness to 0% reduced the backlight bleed to the point that it's now only noticeable on very dark screens.

Based on fearrun's post, I expect that the banding isn't something that would see much variation in monitors that all use the same panel. I think backlight bleed is more likely to vary from unit to unit. How is the backlight bleed on your second monitor compared to the first, fearrun?

At this point I wonder whether it's worth the trouble to try to get an exchange. It is actually a decent monitor, there aren't a lot of options for 1600x1200 monitors at a similar price.

Dropping my brightness to 0% reduced the backlight bleed to the point that it's now only noticeable on very dark screens.

Based on fearrun's post, I expect that the banding isn't something that would see much variation in monitors that all use the same panel. I think backlight bleed is more likely to vary from unit to unit. How is the backlight bleed on your second monitor compared to the first, fearrun?...

The back light bleed is a bit better with the replacement. The bleed of the upper corners from the previous monitor is no where near as prominent. The back light overall seems a bit more balanced. There is still a bit of bleed from the lower corners, but it is only visible when I am viewing something at a close proximity.

I also have some black light bleed with mine, I only notice it when the whole screen is black. It doesn't bother me. I wouldn't risk sending back my S-IPS just for some small black light bleeding.

So in summary, how does one tell if an LP2065 is IPS or MVA?

I am searching for an IPS to purchase and need to tell the seller how to find out if it is IPS or MVA, but don't know how myself. So some information from you guys would be helpful. Thanks.

with a very simple question,"Does the 2065 come standard with a S-IPS panel?" You would of thought I was asking them to tell me the secrets of the universe! 2 stinking hours on the phone and nobody was able, or more likely, WILLING, to give me a straight answer.The largest computer company in the world and all I got was zippo! I was able to get one question answered - the two different model numbers are for a "Smart Buy" promo and the regular priced unit.It seems the "Smart Buy" has a back order of some 5,000 units which is probably a cause for the "panel lottery". I found a local HP dealer and I after talking to him and filled him in the issues concerning this monitor,he has agreed to order one until I get a "good" S-IPS unit,once they get back in stock.I this point,however, I'm probably going to say "Screw It" and go with a 22" HP P1230 CRT - at least with that I wo'nt have to worry about what I will be getting!

I am searching for an IPS to purchase and need to tell the seller how to find out if it is IPS or MVA, but don't know how myself. So some information from you guys would be helpful. Thanks.

with a very simple question,"Does the 2065 come standard with a S-IPS panel?" You would of thought I was asking them to tell me the secrets of the universe! 2 stinking hours on the phone and nobody was able, or more likely, WILLING, to give me a straight answer.The largest computer company in the world and all I got was zippo! I was able to get one question answered - the two different model numbers are for a "Smart Buy" promo and the regular priced unit.It seems the "Smart Buy" has a back order of some 5,000 units which is probably a cause for the "panel lottery". I found a local HP dealer and I after talking to him and filled him in the issues concerning this monitor,he has agreed to order one until I get a "good" S-IPS unit,once they get back in stock.I this point,however, I'm probably going to say "Screw It" and go with a 22" HP P1230 CRT - at least with that I wo'nt have to worry about what I will be getting!

Both of you guys have PM. Check your private message.

Seconded. I have the same problem, and as I'm absolutely new to LCDs, I doubt I could tell the difference straight away even in the store. So if there's a certain way to know whether it's IPS or not (part of the serial number or something), it'd be very helpful to know.

Seconded. I have the same problem, and as I'm absolutely new to LCDs, I doubt I could tell the difference straight away even in the store. So if there's a certain way to know whether it's IPS or not (part of the serial number or something), it'd be very helpful to know.

Look at the screen (with the monitor on of course) from sideways (the more the extreme the angle, the better), and you should see some colors turn a little bit kind of like purple (I can see it more in the color black). Also, the image won't wash out as you view it from an angle (if anything, it gets a little darker). VA panels wash out a little when viewing it from an angle.

received my LP2065... thanks Tai, great transaction... I gathered that GSM002 on the outside of the box means that it's an IPS, is that correct? Is there a way to tell from the monitor's configuration menu? Can I find a model # for the panel that is used?

I don't notice much color shifting from different angles when there is a picture on the screen. However, with blacks it seems to turn purplish and greenish when i look from upper-left and upper-right angles. It's not quite what I expected from an IPS display. Makes me think it's possibly A-MVA. Maybe it's due to some sort of back-light issue? Is there a way to tell for sure?

1. Turn off the monitor
2. Press and hold the leftmost “menu” button and push the power button
3. Release the power button.
4. Release the menu button and then press it again

5. The OSD menu will come up and the 5th item from the top will be previously hidden "Service..."
6. Select "Service..." to see the panel info.
Besides amd's instructions you can check the back of your monitor for the REVision. If it says GMS00x then it's an S-IPS.

Try this

received my LP2065... thanks Tai, great transaction... I gathered that GSM002 on the outside of the box means that it's an IPS, is that correct? Is there a way to tell from the monitor's configuration menu? Can I find a model # for the panel that is used?

I don't notice much color shifting from different angles when there is a picture on the screen. However, with blacks it seems to turn purplish and greenish when i look from upper-left and upper-right angles. It's not quite what I expected from an IPS display. Makes me think it's possibly A-MVA. Maybe it's due to some sort of back-light issue? Is there a way to tell for sure?

Sounds like an IPS to me. ;)

LPL LM201U05-SLA1

definitely ips then... was there a backlight issue with these? i am really just curious for knowledge sake, it's not a big deal but i would like to know

Back