The Official HP LP2065 Lottery Thread!

Could anyone who owns one of these tell me what the screen coating is like? Is it as "heavy" as the anti-glare on the Dell 2007WFP and FP, or is it a bit more mild? I'm considering returning my 2007WFP and trying the HP.

I just wanted to post my experience because this thread has been so helpful.

I ordered a LP2065 from B&H and received an S-IPS panel.

Unfortunately the first had a small speck of dust between the panel and protective screen that looked like a small black spot. It wasn't a pixel as it moved in relation to text, etc, depending on the angle I viewed it at.

B&H took it back and payed for shipping, and then also payed for a new one to be shipped to me 3-day UPS rather than ground. (I did have to purchase the second one separately and wait for the credit on the defective one) No hassle, no restocking fees, etc.

Anyway both panels I received were:

EF227A8#ABA
GSM002
Mfg. Date Code: October 2007

Panel LPL LM201U05-SLA1
Rev. 115

Absolutely fantastic monitor for the price. It calibrated great as well.

A little more info on B&H for those interested as I haven't seen them mentioned much in this thread. They have a good price (payed $400 minus the $50 mail in) and they have the best return policy you can get from an online dealer in my opinion. Basically, satisfaction guaranteed or money is refunded. (you would have to pay for return shipping though if it wasn't defective) Excellent consumer ratings as well for those who aren't familiar with them.

Hope the info is helpful to some and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Received the monitor today. Bought on OnSale.com.
Manufacturing date: June 2007
GSM002

Ordered my monitor on Newegg a few days ago, received it yesterday. Revision GSM002, Manufactured October 2007, part number EF227A8#ABA.

Fortunately no defects in the monitor, however the anti-glare is more aggressive than I've seen it on any other matte screen; It makes the screen sparkly and is quite distracting.

They are back in stock on NewEgg. Just got mine.

Manufactured January 2008.
Rev GSM002
Firmware revision Rev.119
LCD Part Number: LPL LM201U05-SLA1

This is IPS isn't it?

yes it definitively is, as has been mentioned f you want an additional method to verify:

dim your ambient light
display a fullscreen black
now when you move your head around at close distance in angles to the screen you will notice a purple/yellowish haze fading from the corners

that's unique to ips and easy to spot

p.s:
I ordered two LP2065 from different vendors (i'm in Europe).
They both have ips-panels, were manufactured dec.'07 and jan.'08 (poland) and had zero pixel faults.
A little unfortunate is that they both have a slight red tint from left to right (must be crappy assembled backlights or different bulb batches..dunno)
the first i returned, the second i just sent a support request online to HP.
Gonna try to score a better manufactured unit.

Mine has 2 dead pixels and Newegg's policy is to allow exchanges for 8 dead pixels or more. I see no other defects with the monitor. Fortunately the dead pixels are not in the middle of the screen. I need one more monitor so I will not be buying it on Newegg. I noticed other retailers selling LP2065 have 100% satisfaction guarantee kind of policies such as Compusa's 30-day or TheNerds's 90-day (for extra $24) but of course there is no way to find out if they are going to send me IPS panel or not.

Cool! I just received my $50 rebate. Being in Canada, I wasn't sure it would apply as the rebate form is only available from the US HP site.

So that pretty much covers the tax, shipping and environmental charges. Good stuff.

I just bought an
LG. Phillips Flat Panel LCD 20 In Monitor LM201U05-SLA1 features

# 1600 X 1200 Resolution
# Interface: 2ch LVDC 4 data 1 clk
# Brightness 300
# Viewing Angle L, R, T, B: 89, 89, 89, 89
# Contrast: 800
# Response Time: 16

For $72 brand new to my door is this essentially the same one you're discussing here?

I just bought two of these in Sweden for ~ €440.

The product (model) number is EF227AT#ABB. The package says GSM002.

The firmware is REV 116.
The panel is LPL LM201U05-SLA1 (hence S-IPS).

Manufactured in November 2007, in Poland.

On both packages the manufacture date and revision (GSM002) are hidden behind a sticker for some reason, but the revision can be seen through if you look hard.

There is no dead or stuck pixel on any of the monitors. They are really really great, but I just can't understand how to get the cables in the smart holders in the foot, but that's ok.

I recommend a high quality monitor like this. My previous onces are over 10 years old TN's 17" and 15". These are just amazing.

I don't know if it's because of firmware 116 or not, but the default color setting is really good. Many of you have had to adjust the colors (most notably red). For me, it's perfect as it is.

I was afraid of the "aggressive anti-glare / anti-gloss" but it doesn't bother me at all, and they are really easy on the eyes.

However, they aren't completely (as in completely) silent. There's a tiny buzz. My computer is totally silent (water cooled with no fan, not even on the radiator), and my ears are sensitive. They sound a LOT less than my previous two flat panels though. My rather silent TV sounds more a room away, so don't be afraid. I doubt anyone will ever hear the buzz unless they have as high demand as I, and as silent (as in completely silent) computer.

They ship with two DVI-VGA and two DVI-DVI as well as a USB (A-B) cable. This is far better than many other monitors I've heard of.

I hope this information will be useful for possible buyers.

The monitor model isn't new, and neither is the panel. But that size 4:3 1600x1200 S-IPS is almost impossible to find, and I would recommend this over perfectly new monitors for those who need 4:3, given you can't afford the NEC 90-model for ~ €1000.
For widescreen, I don't know, since that doesn't interest me (dual-head WS is just insane).

Thanks to all previous posters for the information. It seems that S-IPS is rather safe on the monitor (very very few A-MVA).

Hi everybody!
This is my 1st post in these forums.
My trusty 201P has recently become quirky and turns off every so often.
Looking for the HP LP 2065.
Here in Greece the only model imported is the HP LP 2065 EF227A4.
Nobody seems to know if it sports the S-IPS panel or the A-MVA one.
Not HP in Greece, not the official reps, nobody.
Plus, no one will accept the display back once it has been opened...
So, before I play Russian roulette, does anybody here know whether this model is the S-IPS one or not?
Thanks in advance

Just posting to say I bought an HP LP2065 from Newegg last Tuesday. It arrived today, and is revision GSM002, which suggests it's the IPS panel. The viewing angle and magenta cast at extreme angles also suggests it's an IPS.

So, if you're feeling lucky, buy from Newegg :)

Sorry for the massive thread revival, but I was wondering if someone could give me the directions to enter the service menu of my display.

Thanks~

-Shike

I found this thread just before I placed my order and it really helped me. I contacted my reseller here in Ottawa and he was able to confirm with his supplier that all the LP2065 in the warehouse were GSM002 so I went ahead and ordered one.

I got it today and sure enough it was a GSM002:

LPL-LM20IV05-SLA1
Rev. 119
Manuf. date: Apr. 2008

So I got my IPS :D

Not sure what the policy is, but if anybody is looking for the GSM002 send me a PM and I'll give you the contact at the store where I got mine. As of today there were 80 units left.

Max

Has anyone recently bought an LP2065? Are there still S-IPS panels in these displays? I just put in an order for this EF227A4#ABA model from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/LP2065-TC03-M...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216579304&sr=8-3

There seems to be a big price difference between the EF227A4#ABA and EF227A8#ABA models at this time. I assumed that this accounts for the different panel types in the 2 displays. Did I choose the right one, or should I have gotten the cheaper model #?

Here is the EF227A8#ABA version:

http://www.amazon.com/Promo-L2065-Monitor-Silver-Analog/dp/B000EORI1G/ref=dp_cp_ob_title_0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As I mentioned in the post above yours, yes HP still ship LP2065 with S-IPS panel. At the time I posted there were about 80 GSM002 (S-IPS version) boxes sitting in a warehouse where mine came from.

No, the sku # EF227A... is not indicative of a particular panel. There have been reports of MVA panels with both sku's. The A8 is the "Smart Buy" sku and is cheaper plus it has a MI rebate. The A4 sku is more expensive and it doesn't qualify for the rebate.

The only way to identify a S-IPS panel is the GSM00# label on the box.

Thanks for replying MaxHP. Yes, I saw your post, however, since I'm in the US, I was hoping to purchase from a US store. I believe you're in Canada? Anyway, I'll get my display in a few days and let you know which panel I got. I just find it odd that there is such a huge price disparity in the 2 different model #'s. Another reason I ordered from Amazon is their good return policy. Hopefully, I won't need to open the box to see the GSM00X#.

I ordered an LP2065 from B&H over the weekend and it arrived today. The details are:

Mfg. Part Number: EF227A8#ABA
Revision: GSM002
Manufactured: April 2008
LCD Part Number: LPL LM201U05-SLA1
Firmware Revision: REV.119

So it's an S-IPS panel :D.

Thanks to MaxHP.

I ordered one from the same re-seller.
It arrived as described, GSM002, Rev. 119, LPL LM201U05 etc.
There is no screen flicking, and the all-black screen has a purpleish color as described by others.

It is a S-IPS panel.

Anyone bought one more recently than the beginning of August? I'm interested in buying this monitor, but want to make sure people are still getting IPS panels. Thanks.

Chris

Just purchased a LP2065 this week, received it yesterday and can confirm a IPS panel.

actually scored on a pricing mistake, so I got it for small dollars, in only two days.

Sweet panel, sweet deal.

I purchased one from amazon a week ago. It was man. date of sept 2008 and is gdm002 (i.e, ips). However, the backlighting is horrible in bottom right hand corner. Trying to decide if it is worth keeping or returning. I'm not that picky but this is the worse i've ever seen from an lcd.

I purchased two from here in the UK last week:

http://store.cbccomputers.com/Products.asp?PartNo=EF227AT#ABU

They have them relatively cheap and it seems to be one of the only places they are still available.

Both were GSM002 from April 2008. However, one had a really bad backlight problem like you2 mentioned. I called them about it and they sent me a replacement and picked up the old one at the same time. The replacement was fine.

They look pretty sweet side by side in a dual display set up, I gotta say.

Sorry I am late to the show.....I just got one of these today.
I have been using a 22" CRT for over 10 years and my eyes cant take the radiation anymore.
I got this used for $10 and it is:

Firmware Revision
REV.115

LCD Part Number:
AUO M201UN02-V6

and on the back of the monitor:

AMM000 FEB 2007

I guess its PVA as per the first post.
Good-Bad?

It has 57072 hours and 7567 backlight hours.
I can only get 60hz at 1600x1200 is that normal?

EDIT*

I got another LP2065 this time GSM002 REV 114 SEPT 2006
I'll save the PVA one for the backlights when the IPS one gets bad.

Last edited:
Sorry I am late to the show.....I just got one of these today.
I have been using a 22" CRT for over 10 years and my eyes cant take the radiation anymore.
I got this used for $10 and it is:

Firmware Revision
REV.115

LCD Part Number:
AUO M201UN02-V6

and on the back of the monitor:

AMM000 FEB 2007

I guess its PVA as per the first post.
Good-Bad?

It has 57072 hours and 7567 backlight hours.
I can only get 60hz at 1600x1200 is that normal?

EDIT*

I got another LP2065 this time GSM002 REV 114 SEPT 2006
I'll save the PVA one for the backlights when the IPS one gets bad.

GSM002
It has 69335 hours and 18819 backlight hours and counting.
Not 1 problem

Last edited:
Surprise the backlighting isn't hurting. I have a dell 22 that I stopped using a few years ago because the backlight was so dim.

It has 69335 hours and 18819 backlight hours and counting.
Not 1 problem

Surprise the backlighting isn't hurting. I have a dell 22 that I stopped using a few years ago because the backlight was so dim.
These are rated 40,000 backlight hours.

I just bought another one of these today.
Its a gsm002 rev 119. June 2008

$15

I returned 4 brand-new ASUS IPS 27" monitors cause they weren't nearly as good as the HP's.
All 4 had light bleed and colors were different from one side to the other, just sucked.

I'll buy these LP2065's all day.

**I just noticed the GSM002 REV119 has DDC/CI support and the GSM002 REV 114 does not.

IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3028.JPG
IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3030.JPG
IMG_3029.JPG

Last edited:
114 is:
On 89917 hours
backlight 30034 hours

on 56619 hours
backlight 31311 hours

Still not able to buy a 27" with the same quality and black level. (maybe for big bucks)
Amazing monitors

Excellent monitor, this is the best 20" 4:3 I have found yet. I've used some of the Dells but they seem to have a lot of longevity issues and there's a decent chance you'll get a PVA panel. This has an excellent S-IPS one which has plenty of brightness left in it. My backlight hours are quite low relative to the total. I'm surprised to see that I have a Rev .115 but still the S-IPS, this thread seems to indicate this rev was MVA panels. Mine has a mfg. date of July 2007.

Fired up Half-Life 2 and I see no ghosting or tearing whatsoever and colors are crisp. My prints I tested from came out perfect, very impressed with this 15 year old display. I love this aspect ratio, my setup doesn't allow for too much width but I need the height that 20" panels provide. My photos are viewable full screen as well, which is nice as I don't like black bars. I do find the black levels to be very good, just a bit of glow in the top left corner.

Overall I am pleased with this and will possibly buy a second one once the Dell 20" I have craps out or this one does. I have a Dell 24" which isn't a bad monitor, even being e-IPS, but I may hunt down the LP2465 if it's as good as its smaller sibling is. I've owned some consumer line HPs before and never would've imagined their small business monitors were this excellent. Highly recommended for anyone who likes this aspect ratio, just be warned there is little input option if you're a retro gamer, DVI or VGA thru adapter only.
IMG_0019.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0020.JPG

Back