The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

How do I install the game by not using the discs the game files are on ?

Go to the Guild Wars 2 site, log into your account, put in the CD key you got from the box, then it'll give you an option to download the game. Now if your internet is the worst thing since god knows what, that's not good either. :)

Go to the Guild Wars 2 site, log into your account, put in the CD key you got from the box, then it'll give you an option to download the game. Now if your internet is the worst thing since god knows what, that's not good either. :)

I registered on the GW2 website, put in my serial code, etc...

I run the GW2Setup.exe and again says "Download failed! Please check your internet connection and try again."

I registered on the GW2 website, put in my serial code, etc...

I run the GW2Setup.exe and again says "Download failed! Please check your internet connection and try again."

I'd say you have a firewall or router issue then. Or your internet connection sucks really bad.

Well the 21mb setup.exe file only took like a few seconds to download.

Well then start working on my first suggestion and check your firewall and/or router for the download client to be able to get the data.

Well then start working on my first suggestion and check your firewall and/or router for the download client to be able to get the data.

I went in Windows Firewall, added GW2 to be allowed through...then I did the same for my AVG Internet Security...and I checked for similar options in my Asus Router, but saw nothing...Anyways no dice, still can't download the game.

But since I have the CD's, why are those trying to download online as well ? Isn't the game on the cd itself ?

run the setup as an administrator.

disable your firewall/anti virus (just while running it) and see if that works, you might have m issed exactly what to allow access.

I went in Windows Firewall, added GW2 to be allowed through...then I did the same for my AVG Internet Security...and I checked for similar options in my Asus Router, but saw nothing...Anyways no dice, still can't download the game.

But since I have the CD's, why are those trying to download online as well ? Isn't the game on the cd itself ?

Even if the whole game was on the disc you would need to download patches anyway.

Try plugging you pc right into the cable modem. That should eliminate the router as a problem.

You should first try disabling AVG to see if that is where the block happens. If it's AVG, try MSE, Avast or Avira in its place.

If it's not an AV problem, I'll quote from the GW2 support page:

"Guild Wars 2 requires TCP ports 80, 443, 6112 and port 6600 be fully unrestricted and accessible, both inbound and outbound. For further information about opening ports or port forwarding, you can visit the following website: http://www.portforward.com Please note, this site is not affiliated with or supported by NCsoft or ArenaNet.

If you are connecting to Guild Wars 2 while on a campus, military, or business network, please check with your network's administrator to verify that these ports are fully opened and unrestricted. If you are on a home Local Area Network (LAN), you will want to make sure that your network's hardware is properly configured."

I just got this game. Havent played GW1 or the beta. Haven't really followed this game much at all (didnt wanna get hyped up) I'm a veerrryy casual player, prolly solo 90% of the time. Any class reccommendations? What server should I join? What server is H on?

The trading post seems to be up, at least on my server, for the moment.

There are 1.3 million soft wood logs for sale.

Edit: aaaand... it's gone again. Guess they're still testing.

I just got this game. Havent played GW1 or the beta. Haven't really followed this game much at all (didnt wanna get hyped up) I'm a veerrryy casual player, prolly solo 90% of the time. Any class reccommendations? What server should I join? What server is H on?

I'm going to just put this out there. take human warrior until you figure out the game.

hey did I mention you should watch this too: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/manual/

Last edited:

For the very casual player GW2 is about the best MMO around at the moment. I think it will be very hard to advise you on what race to pick, or profession. Race doesn't affect stats, just gives to a few racial abilites and what personel story you will have.

I am enjoying been an engineer, I know others are having great fun as a thief while more are having a ball as an elemental.

Really, just try each of them out for a while and see what suits you, the great thing is that you don't have montly subs, so there is no rush at all.

Pick a melee class for easier pve right now. Soloing as ranged can be difficult due to the crazy fast respawn times right now.

For the very casual player GW2 is about the best MMO around at the moment. I think it will be very hard to advise you on what race to pick, or profession. Race doesn't affect stats, just gives to a few racial abilites and what personel story you will have.

Disagreed, if you only want a "very casual" play experience then virtually any other MMO on the market offers more (heck, I'd recommend SWTOR for someone soloing mostly who is casual, and that is telling), as you won't burn through the content (few hours a week) anytime soon. This game just fails miserably on that front, as it has very little "stuff" to do other than WvW (which is 90% running to fights due to the too-large zones) and very little voiced-over/non-kill-15-rats-area type quests (personal story being the only real ones with the rest being "zerg down this big boss with 50 other people and be unable to tell wtf is going on other than "the health of the boss is going down!"). There are a few dungeons but there's no real point in running them more than once or twice to see them unless you *have* to have that random weapon skin and thus are grinding for it more than casually (the dungeons are harder due to having to use non-traditional methods such as agro-bouncing and extreme kiting on the environment as there are no real tanks, healers, etc. in GW2).

The trading post seems to be up, at least on my server, for the moment.

There are 1.3 million soft wood logs for sale.

Edit: aaaand... it's gone again. Guess they're still testing.

Trading Post on Stormbluff Isle has been up for awhile. Spent less than 1s each for an upgrade to every single slot which was nice considering my 38 warrior still had some level 10-20 items.

Disagreed, if you only want a "very casual" play experience then virtually any other MMO on the market offers more (heck, I'd recommend SWTOR for someone soloing mostly who is casual, and that is telling), as you won't burn through the content (few hours a week) anytime soon. This game just fails miserably on that front, as it has very little "stuff" to do other than WvW (which is 90% running to fights due to the too-large zones) and very little voiced-over/non-kill-15-rats-area type quests (personal story being the only real ones with the rest being "zerg down this big boss with 50 other people and be unable to tell wtf is going on other than "the health of the boss is going down!"). There are a few dungeons but there's no real point in running them more than once or twice to see them unless you *have* to have that random weapon skin and thus are grinding for it more than casually (the dungeons are harder due to having to use non-traditional methods such as agro-bouncing and extreme kiting on the environment as there are no real tanks, healers, etc. in GW2).

how would you know what this game has to offer it ? You got a refund for your purchase 3 days before the game released. Even if you were able to play during the time they allowed until you got your copy you still aren't able to make an assessment like that. Especially before level 40.

how would you know what this game has to offer it ? You got a refund for your purchase 3 days before the game released. Even if you were able to play during the time they allowed until you got your copy you still aren't able to make an assessment like that. Especially before level 40.

Lol, I was allowed to play for five days from launch with the grace period. Not sure how your opinions are valid then either by your logic. Go ahead and set up arbitrary bull as to who can judge your messiah.

Lol, I was allowed to play for five days from launch with the grace period. Not sure how your opinions are valid then either by your logic. Go ahead and set up arbitrary bull as to who can judge your messiah.

i have only made opinions about my impressions of the game thus far. As somebody who owns the game I qualify to make these evaluations. you are making your opinion known about a game that you dont own and one you haven't even played enough to make or develop any real opinions. Sorry, if I play tsw to level 10 and say this game blows it only offers story. Would that be fair ? You don't see me camping that thread even though I don't own that game.

i have only made opinions about my impressions of the game thus far. As somebody who owns the game I qualify to make these evaluations. you are making your opinion known about a game that you dont own and one you haven't even played enough to make or develop any real opinions. Sorry, if I play tsw to level 10 and say this game blows it only offers story. Would that be fair ? You don't see me camping that thread even though I don't own that game.

I played it and still have been able to login just as long as you, effectively owning it. I am going to be unable to login as of the end of tonight though. I got into my mid 40s before judging how awful it was, and wish I had my time back. Thankfully I hedged my bets by canceling the preorder and just playing off the beta key in the meantime. As I said, by your logic NO ONE can judge gw2 which is absurd. Ps, you do realize tsw has no levels right?

Just because someone buys and returns something cause it sucked doesn't mean they can't review it.

I played it and still have been able to login just as long as you. I got into my mid 40s before judging how awful it was, and wish I had my time back. Thankfully I hedged my bets by canceling the preorder and just playing off the beta key in the meantime. As I said, by your logic NO ONE can judge gw2 which is absurd. Ps, you do realize tsw has no levels right?

Nope I didn't know that. And I know the same about tsw as you do about gw2

Nope I didn't know that. And I know the same about tsw as you do about gw2
Rofl, clearly not since you have never even played it by your own words, let alone read about it or you'd know it has no levels, which is a basic mechanic you would find out immediately upon looking at their website. Just because I got a refund on GW2 due to its poor quality doesn't mean I can't write a review. But hey, go on making things up for your messiah mmo.... As I said.

Rofl, clearly not since you have never even played it by your own words, let alone read about it or you'd know it has no levels, which is a basic mechanic you would find out immediately upon looking at their website. Just because I got a refund on GW2 due to its poor quality doesn't mean I can't write a review. But hey, go on making things up for your messiah mmo.... As I said.

you are so obnoxious and you ruin this thread for those that want to discuss a game they are enjoying. You should value your time more, trolling a thread of a game you don't even own. Im done with you.

Uh, okay then. I'm sorry but writing a post for 15 seconds while watching the news is hardly taking up much of my time.
you are so obnoxious and you ruin this thread for those that want to discuss a game they are enjoying. You should value your time more, trolling a thread of a game you don't even own. Im done with you.

Uh, okay then. I'm sorry but writing a post for 15 seconds while watching the news is hardly taking up much of my time.
If you spent a total of 15 seconds on every post you have made in this thread it would total up to 1,860 seconds ;).

If you spent a total of 15 seconds on every post you have made in this thread it would total up to 1,860 seconds ;).

30 minutes, if even that long, is hardly much to spend discussing an mmo, over weeks. But hey, whatever makes you able to feel a dissenting opinion is worthless, right?

Hi Sage. Since the others are bitching at each other, I'll toss in some info and my thoughts.

Overall, you should consider all races the same. (Side note: the Nords seem to run/jump worse than the other races, but it just looks that way because they are so large). It really comes down to class.

If you are going to solo, the melee ones are probably easier, but everything should be okay for a long time. The only bad things I've heard is that the Necro with a pet build becomes very difficult after level 30-40 (again, just what I heard from several guildies).

I'm currently maining an Asuran Ranger. I have bows for when I want to range and let my pet tank (and there are lots of pets you can get), and I can swap to my melee builds for when I need to. This character is only level 26, but it has only done three of the starter locations and a small part one one of the seconds (and part of my story line).

Just a tip I recently learned - your characters all share the same bank, so save any crafting mats that one character can't use so the others can.

GoldenTiger, I have seen you post for quite awhile...I rarely disagree with you...but man...stfu about this game already. I think everybody understands you don't like it, and heck I have only played the game once since I bought it. So its not like I am all over this game. This isn't your kind of game, it's a different niche for different people.

But really? STFU already :)

Yea, I agree.

Did gw2 kill your cat and pee on it? I never seen someone so dedicated to trashing any game

Trading Post on Stormbluff Isle has been up for awhile. Spent less than 1s each for an upgrade to every single slot which was nice considering my 38 warrior still had some level 10-20 items.

I wish they'd sort it out on my server. It's either down, or else "up" but searches intermittently find no items, and when you do try and buy something it doesn't actually do anything. It's annoying because I'm still low enough level that buying perfectly adequate gear would be very cheap and much easier than waiting for the game to come up with stuff.

Speaking of which, it would be nice if chests at least offered class-appropriate rewards.

I'm an ex DAOC and Wow player and I'm having fun with GW2. I haven't played an mmo in 2 years and this is scratching that itch for the time being. Is GW2 worth $15 a month? No, not to me it's not. But for a one time purchase it's definitely worth the purchase price.

Not sure how long I'll keep playing it but I don't regret my purchase.

They REALLY need to add in better filters for the trading house.
Not being able to select light/medium/heavy armor is annoying, and the lv filter seems broke on top of that so trying to find armor for your lv at the best price seems almost impossible atm.

They also need a can equip filter.

Oh and filters that work in general. If you filter by level, it doesn't do anything.

Last edited:
man. I love the trading post. I made about 50 silver tonight just from selling mats. It's insane how quick they're going. I think I'm going to spend a few evenings just farming copper and jute and be rich as shit (until it's time to buy the master trait book :\ )

Hi Sage. Since the others are bitching at each other, I'll toss in some info and my thoughts.

Overall, you should consider all races the same. (Side note: the Nords seem to run/jump worse than the other races, but it just looks that way because they are so large). It really comes down to class.

If you are going to solo, the melee ones are probably easier, but everything should be okay for a long time. The only bad things I've heard is that the Necro with a pet build becomes very difficult after level 30-40 (again, just what I heard from several guildies).

I'm currently maining an Asuran Ranger. I have bows for when I want to range and let my pet tank (and there are lots of pets you can get), and I can swap to my melee builds for when I need to. This character is only level 26, but it has only done three of the starter locations and a small part one one of the seconds (and part of my story line).

Just a tip I recently learned - your characters all share the same bank, so save any crafting mats that one character can't use so the others can.

Thanks! What server are you guys on? Is there an [H] guild that would accept a casual player? I'm fairly experiencing with MMO's, but my addict days are long over, especially now that I'm starting a new job. I wouldnt mind being in a guild just to hear some chatter, and the occasional groupage.

Most of us are on Borlis Pass in the guild Smoke and Fire.

Post your name if you make a character and I'll add you and get someone to throw an invite your way if you want in.

Back