The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Good news

A user from another forum claimed that he received an email notification about a password change attempt, and in the account page, it showed that he last logged in from an ip address in CN (China), lol.

These two things don't match. I got one of these emails too and the email says someone ASKED to reset your password and provide a link where you go to actually go ahead and change the password. The password doesn't get changed unless you complete the second step to authenticate the password reset; if you do nothing, as the email informs you, the password stays the same. For someone to have logged into this user's account from another IP address would mean the password had already been changed successfully (the Guild Wars 2 account page records the IP address of successful logins, not unsuccessful attempts). This story is self-contradictory, the second half is probably fiction.

Last edited:
avoid jade quarry...the que times for wvwvw are atrocious...i swear every hardcore pvp player/guild rolled there

they really need to multiinstance these wvwvw places...one server/one instance is freakin NUTS !!!

If everyone decided they wanted to wvwvw, you would NEVER get in..biggest flaw in the game, design wise next to the auction house not functioning

again, avoid jade quarry

Well, i bought the game but couldn't find any retail copies, so I'm stuck with an overnight download. I guess for now, I'll do some reading and try to figure out what profession to start with.

Cultural armor is sweet.

ZJtRZl.jpg

I'm level 24 and still haven't spent my traits. I like use the sword/axe combo, great sword, and sword/shield. But I also like to use bows/rifles. Any recommendations?

How do you have yours spent??

I am entirely in arms atm. You should spend your traits, they will make a massive difference. Just take a look at what the traits give you and decide what is important for YOU.

Do you want to survive longer? Or do you want to have incredibly high damage but no survivability. You need to decide what you want.

Can I get a guild invite for hard. Checked tonight and don't have anything. Level 4 the if. Just haven't had the time to sink into the game yet.

Is there an easy way to find someone in your group? A guild member and I tried to find each other for awhile and couldn't. Even when we both weren't in overflow.

Is there an easy way to find someone in your group? A guild member and I tried to find each other for awhile and couldn't. Even when we both weren't in overflow.

Right clock on their portrait and there in an option to join. If that fails, warp to the same waypoint and ask each other who else is around for players. Its likely going to be diffetent people.

Then you are screwed.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm in but I'm not sure how to search for a guild to ask for an invite. I'm on Borlins Pass. Stefaun 5264~

Just discovered guildhead. I don't know why it never has popped up on any of my Google searches for GW2 things before. WoWhead was always an amazing resource, so this GW2 version should be a life-saver for a lot of stuff too.

Regarding all the shenanigans going on with password reset emails, the support page has this to say tonight:

"The Guild Wars 2 reset password feature is currently unavailable."

I was playing with my dad tonight and just as we got going, the game went down.

Is there a way to direct trade with other people? I have some good gear, but the in game mail seems to be disabled and you can't just drop stuff or free trade - not that I could figure out.

So how in the world is anyone working as a gold trader for this game?

This was posted 12 hours ago on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/z1poz/guild_wars_2_status_wednesday_august_29/

Quote for the people working:

ArenaNet said:
This is the current status of the most important issues we're tracking with Guild Wars 2 live service.

Account security - We're seeing an uptick in reports of account theft and attempted account theft. We believe hackers are using databases of email addresses and passwords stolen from other games and web sites, and pre-existing trojan horses, to search for matching Guild Wars 2 accounts which they attempt to compromise. To prevent this, we have temporarily disabled the "reset password" feature, and we're working to bring email authentication online. To protect yourself, please ensure that you use a unique password for Guild Wars 2 that you don't use for any other game, email account, forum or web account.

Email authentication - Email authentication is a feature that notifies you if someone tries to log into your account from a location you've never logged in from before. Thus, even if someone guesses your game password, he can't log in unless he also guesses your email account password. You can make email authentication even more secure by using an email provider that supports two-factor authentication, such as Google or Yahoo, and taking advantage of that. We're currently preparing email authentication and intend to deploy it in a phased rollout, starting on Thursday, August 30.

Parties, guilds, etc. - Parties, guilds, and other social features are periodically failing. This causes issues such as party members not appearing on the map, and party members not staying in the same overflow servers as they travel between maps. This happens particularly during times of peak usage. We're working to fix related problems and mitigate this issue with each subsequent update.
Worlds - Many worlds are filling up. We're keeping the number of worlds constrained so that worlds stay well populated even after the initial surge of high concurrency. However, we will add worlds as necessary. As of Wednesday, August 30, all German language worlds are full and all French language worlds are at high usage, so we're adding two new German language worlds and one new French language world.

Overflow worlds - During this initial surge of high concurrency, and especially while many characters are low-level and thus playing in the same starting areas, it's common for players to be directed to overflow maps. If you want to play with a friend, but you’re not on the same overflow map, you can form a party together, then right-click on your friend's portrait in the party list and click "join". Note that this functionality is sometimes intermittently unavailable due to the "parties, guilds, etc." issues noted above.
Trading Post - We're working to bring the Trading Post back online. To help test, we've temporarily made it available to a random 15% of players, while we work to resolve remaining capacity constraints that will allow us to open it to everyone.

Edit: We have completed our live testing of the Trading Post for today and the Trading Post is now in maintenance for all players. Thank you everyone that participated; this test has helped us tremendously.
In-game mail - We detected a potential abuse of the in-game mail system and have temporarily disabled in-game mail to prevent any such abuse. We'll reenable it soon, hopefully in tonight's update.

Edit: The fact that in-game mail is disabled means that it's currently impossible for account hackers to loot stolen accounts, so we're going to leave it disabled for just a little while longer, while we work to ramp up email authentication.
Botting - We'll start substantial banning of bots on Wednesday, August 29. Since we're currently seeing widespread casual, unsophisticated botting, we will start with 72-hour bans for first offenses. In the coming days, as we address the casual botting problem, we plan to switch to our normal policy of permanently banning anyone who runs a bot.
Forums - Our most important priority at the moment is to ensure that the game runs stably and flawlessly. So as to not create additional demand on our infrastructure and on our programming team, we made the decision not to open the forums until the initial mass influx of players has calmed down a bit.

Next software updates - The next update of the game server and back-end server software will take place tonight at midnight Seattle time. The game may be unavailable for approximately 20-60 minutes while we perform the update. We expect this update to have fixes for email authentication and in-game mail. Our continued work on the Trading Post is not tied to game updates, so we will continue to test Trading Post updates throughout the day.

Took down my first world boss last night (Shadow Lord in the Swamp in Queensdale) and had an absolute blast.

I really like how easy it is to slip in and out of these events without having to 'LFG' forever, and that I can help other pepople without needed to be formally grouped with them. Looking forward to a nice long weekend of playing some more.

Anybody else find the "Downed state" thing annoying? If I rally, I come back with so little health that one hit from a mob will either down me again or just kill me. Usually I haven't even finished the standing up animation before I'm back down again. Seems like it's quicker to just die, release and run back to the fight.

Anybody else find the "Downed state" thing annoying? If I rally, I come back with so little health that one hit from a mob will either down me again or just kill me. Usually I haven't even finished the standing up animation before I'm back down again. Seems like it's quicker to just die, release and run back to the fight.

I like downed state in theory, but more often than not it just ends up being a waste of time, IMO. It works to your advantage SOMETIMES in a boss event where someone has the ability to rez you. It's complete shit in PvP and I think someone spoke about this earlier. You can down someone 1v1 and then end up getting downed by them from their pre-death abilities and end up getting killed from it even though you technically "won" the original 1v1 battle. It's kind of shitty and I think they should do something about it in PvP.

Is the PVE story - character quests and story as well done as story in TOR? And are there any endgame raids or dungeons, or once you hit max level you have to do PVP?

Also, how is the RP fluff, chat bubbles, emotes, and other stuff like in Lotro?

In short, I'm a pure PvE player, and I'm kinda scared away from this game being advertised as pure PVP experience. And after free for all PVP in AoC, that's not the thing I want to do again in some long time - things like getting killed, when turning quests in, ganksquads in newbie areas, griefers, that's the part that takes me away from pure PVP MMOs

Is the PVE story - character quests and story as well done as story in TOR? And are there any endgame raids or dungeons, or once you hit max level you have to do PVP?

In short, I'm a pure PvE player, and I'm kinda scared away from this game being advertised as pure PVP experience. And after free for all PVP in AoC, that's not the thing I want to do again in some long time - things like getting killed, when turning quests in, ganksquads in newbie areas, griefers, that's the part that takes me away from pure PVP MMOs

There are some 5 man dungeons. The world events are massive in the sense that they are "raid sized" but they do not need to be organized because you get loot and experience for participation rather than being in a "raid group". The story quests are pretty well done and have the same level of voiceover etc. as TOR, although to me personally they play less of an integral role in your characters progression. You get a story quest every few levels and a good amount of experience and loot for completing them. You never have to do PvP if you don't want to but yes it is a relatively large factor in the game considering how massive the WvWvW map is. As far as legit end-game raids, not sure where they'll go with that. Seems like the endgame things to do are PvP, farm karma for the high end gear in the cities, and play alts!!! (of course). The game is massive, you get the feeling of being overwhelmed by the sheer size of the world and it's a great change of pace from your typical MMO where each faction/race has it's 1 place to level and that's where you have to stay.

It's not meant to make you come back and beat a fight that you never could overcome in the first place. In my experience, downed state is extraordinarily exploitable in PvE and insanely annoying in PvP.

I am digging the shit out of this game. Cooking is incredibly addictive. I've got my cooking to almost 200 and am starting to make some really cool stuff. I binged hard this week and am showing no signs of slowing down.

Only if you advertise the exploit to thousands of people.

Lawl I was watching Kripp's stream when he got banned for 72 hours. That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Buy items legitimately. Take said items and craft legitimately. Then sold the crafted items to the vendor and made 8g. Servers went down in emergency mode to stop the "selling items to the vendor for profit exploit."

Do it in front of 5,000 people and get banned for 72 hours. Priceless.

He didn't dupe items or pull them out of thin air. Afterwards they raised the prices of Karma items to ridiculous prices that no low level character could ever achieve and made it so you can't vendor them. All because a guy was cooking in the game while live streaming, and decided to vendor the finished goods because he needed bag space.

I think the previous bans they posted on Reddit were probably for similar things.

I am digging the shit out of this game. Cooking is incredibly addictive. I've got my cooking to almost 200 and am starting to make some really cool stuff. I binged hard this week and am showing no signs of slowing down.

If you ever sold what you made to a vendor, you could get banned for 72 hours.

Lawl I was watching Kripp's stream when he got banned for 72 hours. That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Buy items legitimately. Take said items and craft legitimately. Then sold the crafted items to the vendor and made 8g. Servers went down in emergency mode to stop the "selling items to the vendor for profit exploit."

Do it in front of 5,000 people and get banned for 72 hours. Priceless.

He didn't dupe items or pull them out of thin air. Afterwards they raised the prices of Karma items to ridiculous prices that no low level character could ever achieve and made it so you can't vendor them. All because a guy was cooking in the game while live streaming, and decided to vendor the finished goods because he needed bag space.

I think the previous bans they posted on Reddit were probably for similar things.

And people were using this methodology to make gold at a much faster rate than ANet ever intended. No one else is being banned for this, and if you look at the screenshot where he got the ban, it says "72 hours for advertising an exploit.

I'm pretty sure the topic of whether this counts as an exploit has basically been covered in any number of MMO threads before. It's a bug and was not intended to produce so much money so quickly. He made 8g but I read about a friend of his that used the bug to make 500. Given that the economy situation is already precarious enough due to the trading post STILL being offline, quick action by ANet is entirely justified.

The story is VERY well done. I especially enjoy the more anime'ish approach to how a conversation is held. You basically have your character from waist up on the left, and the person you're talking to on right, all voiced. Plus the regular conversations are all voiced as well, such as the ones when an event is going on within the main story, and shit's going down (fighting sequences, drama, etc.).

As far as RP Fluff, emotes and all that, there's plenty of it, and I find myself using them a lot (though I'm not much of an RP'er).

It's a VERY good PvE experience overall, don't let the "it's a solid PvP game" thing fool you. You'll like the story here, and you'll find that if you're here only for PvE, you won't be disappointed. This is coming from someone who shares your viewpoints.

If you ever sold what you made to a vendor, you could get banned for 72 hours.

An exaggeration. That statement is so loaded. Heh.

The guy advertised an exploit to thousands of people. He should make note of it privately and let ArenaNet know instead of purposely gaining an advantage with 5,000 people watching - possibly doing the same thing. He got banned for advertising it, not of the act itself. And they temporarily fixed it to make the karma much, much higher.

The story is VERY well done. I especially enjoy the more anime'ish approach to how a conversation is held. You basically have your character from waist up on the left, and the person you're talking to on right, all voiced. Plus the regular conversations are all voiced as well, such as the ones when an event is going on within the main story, and shit's going down (fighting sequences, drama, etc.).

As far as RP Fluff, emotes and all that, there's plenty of it, and I find myself using them a lot (though I'm not much of an RP'er).

It's a VERY good PvE experience overall, don't let the "it's a solid PvP game" thing fool you. You'll like the story here, and you'll find that if you're here only for PvE, you won't be disappointed. This is coming from someone who shares your viewpoints.

I actually don't like the "personal" story at all aside from the massive exp and gear rewards. I won't spoil anything though...

And people were using this methodology to make gold at a much faster rate than ANet ever intended. No one else is being banned for this, and if you look at the screenshot where he got the ban, it says "72 hours for advertising an exploit.

I'm pretty sure the topic of whether this counts as an exploit has basically been covered in any number of MMO threads before. It's a bug and was not intended to produce so much money so quickly. He made 8g but I read about a friend of his that used the bug to make 500. Given that the economy situation is already precarious enough due to the trading post STILL being offline, quick action by ANet is entirely justified.

Most idiotic thing I've ever heard in my existence as a gamer. So he was on a stream, sold shit to a vendor, using general game mechanics, and was banned? I swear, Anet is getting more and more ridiculous every day.

TheToE! said:

Scumbag Toe, is never on when I'm on. :mad:

Most idiotic thing I've ever heard in my existence as a gamer. So he was on a stream, sold shit to a vendor, using general game mechanics, and was banned? I swear, Anet is getting more and more ridiculous every day.

He had inside information on this exploit from another friend of his. This friend of his seems to be very "trusted" to provide Kripp the edge he needs to make money (real money from advertising) and garner tons of followers by doing these acts. However, ArenaNet values the economy and an exploit of this magnitude is very threatening. They suspended - not banned - Kripparian for advertising the exploit to his followers. He'll be able to get back in game when the suspension is up. Doesn't seem like a real huge issue here. It's fairly cut and dry.

Back