The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

I'm not sure why you fall so fast in this game. If you jump off a ledge it is like you teleport to the ground. If they can increase the framerate I could see this game being a nice little diversion from time to time..
I kind of get the feeling not everyone is seeing the benefit of whatever optimizations they made during the last few weeks of stress tests. Many people (including myself) saw insane framerate increases, while I saw (and continue to see) posts complaining of poor performance that resembles what I was getting before whatever it was they changed.

I don't know. I'm completely speculating. It just seems weird - if it could be narrowed down to specific hardware that would be one thing, but I haven't seen any patterns.

I'm getting a bit stuck on gear atm.

Is crafting a requirment or something? I'm just hitting a wall here.

I'm lv 10, I haven't gotten a single good weapon drop for about 4 lv's now, nothing dropping that's better then what I have equipped.

I have did a lot of the heart's and most vendors either sell weapons I don't use or no weapons at all.

Seems there's no decent 2h or anything to get throught he heart merchants , at least in the Sylvari starting zone area.

It seems you can't buy any decent ones either, all the "weaponsmith's" you come across on the map have absolute crap weapons )what's even the point of having a weapon merchant if the weapons they sell are worse then generic dropped weapons?).

I just seem to be hitting a wall here, not getting any real good weapon/armor drops. Hell I'm still wearing my default shoulder/leggings.

Taht's one area I feel that Warhammer did it's public quests better. When you did a public quest, if you did really good (IE gold rank) you could select from various GOOD weapons/armor and take your pick to get what you needed to stay on the level curve.

I've been ignoring crafting a bit (I just fin dit tedious in most mmo's, not "fun" or something I really enjoy doing). As I thought pve drops/rewards and pvp would be ok to get by on.

My FPS seems to struggle at times too on a GTX 680. I've also monitored the CPU usage which hardly hit 50% so I don't think the CPU is holding it back either.

Anyway, so far I'm enjoying most part of the game. I like how people can come together to defeat a dynamic event, no such a thing as kill steal, and other stuff that made me dislike MMO. I've yet to grind either, and I hope I won't need to.

I guess I just love playing alone without having to team up with a party and follow them everywhere they go. People just come together, do a dynamic event, and be on their way. I like that. I just wish these events would reward us with more gold though, lol.

I'm lv 10, I haven't gotten a single good weapon drop for about 4 lv's now, nothing dropping that's better then what I have equipped.

I have did a lot of the heart's and most vendors either sell weapons I don't use or no weapons at all.

Seems there's no decent 2h or anything to get throught he heart merchants , at least in the Sylvari starting zone area.

It seems you can't buy any decent ones either, all the "weaponsmith's" you come across on the map have absolute crap weapons )what's even the point of having a weapon merchant if the weapons they sell are worse then generic dropped weapons?).

I just seem to be hitting a wall here, not getting any real good weapon/armor drops. Hell I'm still wearing my default shoulder/leggings.

Taht's one area I feel that Warhammer did it's public quests better. When you did a public quest, if you did really good (IE gold rank) you could select from various GOOD weapons/armor and take your pick to get what you needed to stay on the level curve.

I've been ignoring crafting a bit (I just fin dit tedious in most mmo's, not "fun" or something I really enjoy doing). As I thought pve drops/rewards and pvp would be ok to get by on.

You are earnign favor doing quests and so forth, then you spend the favor at favor vendors to buy gear.

For me it seemed like level 10 was the switch to on for the difficulty for this same reason. I think a lot of it would be relieved if they had the trading post up but I just ended up struggling for a bit. I think it was around level 15 that every item I got was suddenly a huge upgrade again and they started paying out those heart rewards with silvers.

I have to admit not completely blowing through content, not having my hand held on exactly what to do, and actually having to kite around or risk death has made this an extremely enjoyable experience so far. It kind of reminds me of release WOW in that sense except you get to experience 40 man MC Raganos like battles with dynamic events at level 13 if you're lucky :p

pre-purchased the game and wall stoked. after playing for 3+ hours, idk how i feel. i guess i need some1 to play with, because im seriously lost as far as crafting/controls go. im on Borlis Pass. hmu! :D

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

the best drops i'm getting are from downed players in WVWVW...i've gotten 3 greens, one of which i can use...greens btw, are BETTER than blues in this game...don't forget to loot players ..i'm constantly forgetting..LOL

also, the autoloot option doesn't really autoloot..you still have to press 'F' on the sparkling bodies...not sure if its a bug or what..but autoloot to me means i don't have to do anything...here, you just don't get the loot window..i'd really like to see that fixed

Last edited:
For me it seemed like level 10 was the switch to on for the difficulty for this same reason. I think a lot of it would be relieved if they had the trading post up but I just ended up struggling for a bit. I think it was around level 15 that every item I got was suddenly a huge upgrade again and they started paying out those heart rewards with silvers.

I have to admit not completely blowing through content, not having my hand held on exactly what to do, and actually having to kite around or risk death has made this an extremely enjoyable experience so far. It kind of reminds me of release WOW in that sense except you get to experience 40 man MC Raganos like battles with dynamic events at level 13 if you're lucky :p

Really, if you're playing the entire aspect of the game, questing, dynamic events, personal story, pvp'ing, you shouldn't be having an issue. I have the opposite problem, I've been getting gear like crazy, and don't get to spend much time with what I have, as something better always drops, or can be bought.

This seems to be a reflection of the complaints from Diablo 3. Rather than focusing on the level requirement of your items, ask yourself if your gear is getting the job done. Gear doesn't grow all that much as you level so you don't always have to have up to date gear. I'm almost 35 and I'm using gear that requires level 26 or lower. I'm doing just fine.

Just FYI - Attack vs. Armor is a direct division. I.E. Damage multiplier = Attacker's Attack divided by Defender's Armor. Certain things ignore armor (such as damage from conditions). Upgrading your gear to be "update to date" with your level might increase the damage on the weapon by 10%, but your overall attack is the sum of your power + weapon damage which probably increased by about 5% which then directly translates to 5% damage increase. It's not going to make or break you. They've made things a lot easier too since BWE1 in terms of both gear and mob difficulty. In BWE1, I had to buy the white vendor stuff every 5 levels because nothing better dropped. Even then, it was fine.

For all the people complaining about FPS... I suppose this is [H] and everyone expects 60+ FPS all the time, but just do yourselves a favor, turn off the fps monitor, and just enjoy the game. I'm playing across 3 screens and yes it gets into the 30's in Lion's Arch, but it's perfectly playable.

For all the people complaining about FPS... I suppose this is [H] and everyone expects 60+ FPS all the time, but just do yourselves a favor, turn off the fps monitor, and just enjoy the game. I'm playing across 3 screens and yes it gets into the 30's in Lion's Arch, but it's perfectly playable.

One thing I have noticed personally, is when framerates drop because of 50 people on screen and spell effects flying everywhere, it still feels smooth. I can be at 25 fps and it's not choppy like I would expect. I would hope that they increase the performance over time, but it hasn't really bothered me much as is.

One thing I have noticed personally, is when framerates drop because of 50 people on screen and spell effects flying everywhere, it still feels smooth. I can be at 25 fps and it's not choppy like I would expect. I would hope that they increase the performance over time, but it hasn't really bothered me much as is.

I'm really enjoying the game a lot, got to play a few levels last night, and was very impressed at how excited running around and doing shit made me. I like the events (though I hope it doesn't dwindle down as the game progresses, # of players doing an event I mean), and it always felt epic, even if we were just killing fireflies, hah.

On my laptop, getting 50+ frames at all times, haven't seen it dip really 48'ish, all the highest settings @ 1920x1080, thoroughly impressed so far.

I've been enjoying the game so far. I'm definitely trying to take it slow and actually pay attention to things like the story. It's been harder than I thought though lol. The urge to power through levels is constantly there (stuck in my mind from all the years of WoW I suppose), and I admit I've done stuff like cut the vista cutscenes off 1/2 way through. In the end though, I'm still only level 15, so I feel like I'm going at a good pace. I think I'm going to give pvp a try today now that I have experience with all of my weapon skills.

Also, is the Trading Post not going to be active until the actual launch or something? I've never actually seen it up while I've been online.

I think what's playable is subjective. When I was getting FPS in the 30's in the BWEs I was pretty miserable, FRAPS or no FRAPS. It's a much, much better experience now.

Also, is the Trading Post not going to be active until the actual launch or something? I've never actually seen it up while I've been online.

Its currently under maintenance, I guess there were some problems with it.

Its currently under maintenance, I guess there were some problems with it.
Yeah, there are definitely some problems with it. They announced they were taking it down on Twitter and it never came back up again. But we do have a nice "down for maintenance" image to look at instead of a yucky 502 error.

I'm on Borlis Pass and looking for friends to play/chat with.
Would love to join a guild or anyone can friend me.
AudioCow.9032

I felt the same way during my first BWE, and that spanned many more than just a few hours. I was pretty bummed.

But then I changed my approach to how I was playing the game and discovered I was having a LOT of fun. I expect it has to be different for different people, but I went in expecting a decent story and a fairly linear leveling process (and got anything but in both regards) with some PVP on the side. But then I started exploring other starting zones, dong meta events, crafting, basically anything to fill the gaps in the levels and all of a sudden the game had basically completely redeemed itself in my eyes. There's not much order to it, but I think the game pulls that off in a good way.

Not trying to tell you you'd enjoy it if you give it another shot. Just relating my experience.

One issue that I have is that I feel that there's little reward for doing anything. Do a dynamic quest and everyone gets xp, a little money, and a participation ribbon. Plus IMO they don't feel all that dynamic as you need to do them multiple times to see different outcomes and I'm pretty tired of them after the first run since so far they've all essentially played out as, "kill mobs and click things on the ground to win".

Mr. K6 said:
I think a lot of the complainers in this thread simply need to get out more - if all you've done with your life is play MMO's, you'll get bored of them no matter what.

I haven't been addicted to an MMO since WoW:BC. Perhaps the "complainers" expected a bigger departure from the old MMO formula. It feels like an MMO that went 100% theme park. I admit that I've only put a few hours into the game but I don't enjoy playing games for hours of monotony just to get to "the good parts".

I don't think that GW2 is a bad game in any way and it's good to know that if I get a hankerin' to play I can login at any time without worrying about a subscription. But at this point I wish I would have saved my $60.

One issue that I have is that I feel that there's little reward for doing anything. Do a dynamic quest and everyone gets xp, a little money, and a participation ribbon. Plus IMO they don't feel all that dynamic as you need to do them multiple times to see different outcomes and I'm pretty tired of them after the first run since so far they've all essentially played out as, "kill mobs and click things on the ground to win".
Have you tried the meta events? They're a series of dynamic events chained together that tell a story or spawn a huge boss, etc. Yeah there's a lot of generic "gather x", "kill y", "defend z" events but I think those are just to supplement the quest hearts and aren't really intended to be the most intriguing part of the dynamic event system.

I'm on Borlis Pass and looking for friends to play/chat with.
Would love to join a guild or anyone can friend me.
AudioCow.9032

lol didn't know we had to use the number name thingie to add people, I added you.

My gw2 name is Stiler.7185

Lv 10 Sylvari warrior atm.

I don't think we have the hard guild up yet? I think Toe was starting it or something.

the best drops i'm getting are from downed players in WVWVW...i've gotten 3 greens, one of which i can use...greens btw, are BETTER than blues in this game...don't forget to loot players ..i'm constantly forgetting..LOL

also, the autoloot option doesn't really autoloot..you still have to press 'F' on the sparkling bodies...not sure if its a bug or what..but autoloot to me means i don't have to do anything...here, you just don't get the loot window..i'd really like to see that fixed

Yeah, make it more akin to what they had in Dungeon Siege 3 (odd game, i know, but i liked it). You would just hit "Z" and your character would scramble and pick up everything within a certain area

Auto loot works just like it does in just about every other MMO. What annoys me is in other games you can use a modifier to auto loot, shift right click in most games does it. Considering the loot works more like D3 than any typical MMO a full on auto loot like you describe is a good idea.

Looting in rift has an option (default I actually I think), that is in AoE loot which loots everything nearby all at once. This is not the same as every other mmo, but I guess you did say "just about every mmo". ;b

Ugh this game hates my PC. Anything have to do with teleporting or shifting my character crashes the game. If I log in the teleport completed, but I can't do the story quest since I crash whenever I enter the instance. This never happened in beta.

Ugh this game hates my PC. Anything have to do with teleporting or shifting my character crashes the game. If I log in the teleport completed, but I can't do the story quest since I crash whenever I enter the instance. This never happened in beta.

Something in your PC isnt stable. Anything overclocked?

im really liking it so far. I had some computer lag until i turned off v-sync and im gaming @ 120hz no lag now.

My 2 6950s in crossfire get really really hot though.

I dont get how people are having so many issues with performance. I run mostly high on a q6600/4870 just got back from my brothers who runs damn near max with an older i5 and 6870 and his runs fine.

Something in your PC isnt stable. Anything overclocked?

Nope everything is stock and ran the beta without issues. I was fine the first night but ever since I crash regularly with the bug report window popping up asking what I was doing at the time.

Really enjoying looking around it this game. Feels big already and I've only been to queensdale and the starter human city. I'm level 13 now and really exploring the city and getting the points. You do need to slow down and really take in the game, just not rush to level 80.

It still doesn't run as smooth on my i5 2500K and 680 as I'd like but it's better than beta.

Anyway, some of the item requirements for crafting (weapon/armorsmithing) seem a little too rare.

This game is unbelievable. I am forcing m self to take a break. lol

I really enjoy the ability to go through lions arch from the get go. Even though I started as a human I played the asuran area until level 10 with a bunch of friends. I finally started the mission line. I fougt my first major boss which was awesome. Seemed like 100 people joined in fighting him. The chest he left was filled with goodies.

Besides from a few bugs that are still being worked out, the game is amazing.

Played straight to 20 and I'm forcing myself nottt to play today. It's rough.

Man, Black Lion Chests are dropping WAY too often for me. I've found 2-3 times as much as I did in all of beta, and this was in a lot less playing time.

It's either the RNG playing games with me or they really want my money. Gee, wonder which...

Oh well. I don't have many complaints about the game, and it's not forcing me to spend money. Just seems like it works way too hard to give you an incentive to buy stuff at times (tiny starting bank storage would be another example - I've already started using another character as a mule).

I thought the keys to black lion chests were supposed to drop as well?

I have FOUR black lion chests and have found 0 keys.

REally annoying way to get people to spend money for a key imo.

I thought the keys to black lion chests were supposed to drop as well?

I have FOUR black lion chests and have found 0 keys.

REally annoying way to get people to spend money for a key imo.

You can get keys from doing personal story quests. I've had no issue spening up my boxes without spending money.

Just bought the Amazon digital deluxe edition... downloading now from GW2 site... looking forward to some fun, not hardcore about MMOs anymore so this seems like a good trade off for me, play now and then when I have time.

(I'm going to use the $5 credit either on XCom or 4 pack Borderlands 2) :D

You can get keys from doing personal story quests.
I've heard that but I never got any keys during beta, and I've been avoiding the personal story quests like the plague because if there's any one thing in the game I really have a complaint about, that's it. I didn't enjoy them at all.

Still, I've found about eight chests up through only level 14. Do you really get that many keys? I don't even remember there being eight story quests up to that point. I guess I probably came out on the lucky end of the RNG though.

Game has been running great for me at 4800x1200 screen resolution, most settings on high. Right around 50 FPS most of the time, haven't had a slowdown issue yet. I just need to set the Shaders to "Low" and remove the check in "Best Texture Filtering".

i5 2500K @ stock + 7850 2GB

My only real complaint so far is some of the story quests are extremely unbalanced. You get NPCs to help you, then the NPCs die 10 seconds into the fight :mad: When you select "Retry" after that, the NPCs are still dead, and the mobs are usually wandering around which causes you to aggro more mobs...

I've heard that but I never got any keys during beta, and I've been avoiding the personal story quests like the plague because if there's any one thing in the game I really have a complaint about, that's it. I didn't enjoy them at all.

Still, I've found about eight chests up through only level 14. Do you really get that many keys? I don't even remember there being eight story quests up to that point. I guess I probably came out on the lucky end of the RNG though.

I have 2 unopened chests and probably around 5 that I've opened with keys that I've found. Granted I'm 40... so if you got 8 chests by 14, you either got a lot or I'm getting very little.

I have 2 unopened chests and probably around 5 that I've opened with keys that I've found. Granted I'm 40... so if you got 8 chests by 14, you either got a lot or I'm getting very little.
Maybe a mixture of both. They just started dropping like candy right when the game came out and I was like... could this really be a coincidence? Guess so.

Back