The Official Guild Wars 2 thread

Well, have to say the improvement in FPS was absolutely massive. Easily more than double what I was previously getting.

Well, have to say the improvement in FPS was absolutely massive. Easily more than double what I was previously getting.

What video card do you have?

(if its in you sig, I cant see it with the mobile page, sorry)

Eh, I was still only getting 50fps with 2x6970's in the starting areas/mists and ~28-30fps in the capital cities in 1080p. Changing settings made no difference, but none of my cpu cores were maxed. Seems like something is still holding it back.

Eyefinity was still not really playable 20-30fps with no difference between settings either.

What video card do you have?

(if its in you sig, I cant see it with the mobile page, sorry)
7970. Was getting like 30-50 FPS at 1080p in previous beta tests (EDIT: at max preset), with a minor bump in the last stress test, but this one I was getting 90-140. Both those numbers exclude the big cities and very heavily congested areas but that saw huge improvements too. Nothing whatsoever has changed in my rig that would account for any of that, either.

EDIT:
Eh, I was still only getting 50fps with 2x6970's in the starting areas/mists and ~28-30fps in the capital cities in 1080p. Changing settings made no difference, but none of my cpu cores were maxed. Seems like something is still holding it back.

Eyefinity was still not really playable 20-30fps with no difference between settings either.
They were saying in-game (so take it with a grain of salt) that they just now enabled Crossfire, but there could still be problems with it. Who knows. :(

Last edited:
Another stress test tomorrow from 4PM-8PM PST. Can't link the source as I'm on mobile, but it's on their FB and Twitter.

Good on them.

I think I'm finally set on Norn Necromancer. BWE3 I finally decided on necro (for good or ill, I know they need some love), but needed to decide on race, so during the stress test I went through the looks/voices/personal story choices of each race to see what felt right to me. Charr was a possibility, but saving that race for warrior/engineer/etc. Asura...no for necro. Human and Sylvari were both potentials, but the human male voice was too proper, and although I made a cool necro-looking Sylvari, the voice was...ahem...a bit effeminate (which I'd rather use for mesmer or something else).

There, I'm sure you all were looking forward to my reasoning on race choice, and there you have it. :p

There, I'm sure you all were looking forward to my reasoning on race choice, and there you have it. :p

Precisely why I subscribed to this thread :p

I still have no idea what race or class to do. I just know that I'm not going to play those damn Asura (I think...)

Another stress test tomorrow from 4PM-8PM PST. Can't link the source as I'm on mobile, but it's on their FB and Twitter.

Good on them.

call me cynical, but this looks like a great marketing campaign...throw the flocking birds a few crumbs a couple times a week, label it as 'stress testing' and it keeps the fanbois happy and gw2 itself 'in the news'

lets not forget those times are primetime east coast time...coincidence? LOL

well played arenanet

They were saying in-game (so take it with a grain of salt) that they just now enabled Crossfire, but there could still be problems with it. Who knows. :(

It was...the frame rates were 1/2 - 2/3 those I stated without running crossfire.

call me cynical, but this looks like a great marketing campaign...throw the flocking birds a few crumbs a couple times a week, label it as 'stress testing' and it keeps the fanbois happy and gw2 itself 'in the news'

well played arenanet

I'll call you cynical. The previous stress tests have been in the middle of the week and the middle of the day. Impossible for many to play.

I'm guessing with this stress test, they need more loading than they had from the previous tests and shifted it to prime time to get more people on.

So is this game out yet? I want to play (yes, I know it's not out yet)?

Why does waiting have to be so...annoying?

I'm replaying skyrim while I wait. Should keep me busy for a little while. I really can't wait though, I'm very excited.

Precisely why I subscribed to this thread :p

I still have no idea what race or class to do. I just know that I'm not going to play those damn Asura (I think...)

I am pretty set on Sylvari myself... elementalist or a thief... cant decide ;(

It was...the frame rates were 1/2 - 2/3 those I stated without running crossfire.
Well, something has to be weird then. I went from the game struggling FPS wise at times (20 FPS wasn't uncommon in some places during BWE 3) to now finding my framerates often sitting above my 120Hz refresh rate for periods of times.

Tons of other people were reporting doubled FPS as well. There was actually one guy even trying to convince everyone that they just now enabled GPU usage and that the game was previously running completely off the CPU (yeah right).

I have no idea what they did, but I'm a lot happier than I was.

well played arenanet

If that were the case, you're acting as if it's a bad thing. :)

On a more serious note, a couple users have noted perfomance improvements between stress tests. So they are probably getting things done. Also probably monitoring server stability.

So has there been a consensus on which server?

I see that TheTOE's guild Smoke & Fire has announced their server as BORLIS PASS
Should we just all use that server too ?

I'm okay with that.

I see that TheTOE's guild Smoke & Fire has announced their server as BORLIS PASS

I'm okay with that.

I have been unable to play since I don't have a key yet, but is BORLIS PASS a west coast server or east and are there major latency differences like there were in TOR?

I'm okay with that.

Yes! That's where I'm rolling when game's out. TheToe is my official [H] homie. ;)

I played on Borlis Pass during the beta...I don't remember seeing anything about west or east coast. Probably stick to it either way for live. I enjoyed it.

Supposedly all North American servers are in Texas, so there are no east or west coast servers.

Is this going to be another Diablo 3 debacle? As in, it's hyped to high hell and then people realize it's shit after 2 weeks. This is a serious question, I am not trash talking this game because I really haven't followed it in the past few months.

Is this going to be another Diablo 3 debacle? As in, it's hyped to high hell and then people realize it's shit after 2 weeks. This is a serious question, I am not trash talking this game because I really haven't followed it in the past few months.

From the looks of everything, it doesn't appear that it'll be anything resembling a debacle of any kind. But it is an MMO, so if you're tired of MMO's, that may not change all that much with this either (but it could though, who am I to say).

I've played just about every minute of the open betas and stress tests and can't wait for more. I could imagine getting burned out after 2-3 months, but that's true, for me, of pretty much any game.

It will likely have significant content expansions every 6-12 months, which should bring back the magic for a while, each time.

I will be very surprised if GW2 fails to attract and maintain a playerbase larger than any other MMO excluding WoW, for at least a good 3-5 years, if not 7-10. And I could see it becoming the WoW killer after an expansion or 3.

As to comparisons to D3. To the best of my knowledge, Arenanet employees more ex-Blizzard North employees than Blizzard/Activision itself. Blizzard North was the reason Diablo II was so great. Blizzard North longer exists, and most of it's employees left years ago, so it wasn't even remotely surprising to me that D3 had no staying power.

As to comparisons to D3. To the best of my knowledge, Arenanet employees more ex-Blizzard North employees than Blizzard/Activision itself. Blizzard North was the reason Diablo II was so great. Blizzard North longer exists, and most of it's employees left years ago, so it wasn't even remotely surprising to me that D3 had no staying power.

Quite true. Blizzard North had most of the talent and imagination, so it's no wonder they left when the company culture started shifting to the cesspool it is today.

i played diablo 3 for awhile it was fun. but im not playing it now. does that make it a shitty game? no.

anyways that is a different argument and lets not make this into a thread about something completely unrelated.

A better analogy for this game is SWTOR. Game had crazy hype.. awesome single player elements and then lots of other terrible elements and decisions made by bioware. Guild wars 2 looks like the perfect balance of innovation and cookie cutter mmo. Lots of mmo things that we love in there and expect from new mmos that current mmos have. and some innovations to the combat system / pvp / pve ( no roles tank, healer etc ).

Idk this game looks fantastic to me. If I play it as long as I played diablo 3 I will have got my moneys worth but it looks like I'm gonna be playing for awhile just because of dynamic events alone.

the only thing im worried about is hardcore player that want difficult end game content and lots of it. me personally i dont have time to play as much any more and raiding like i did in wow just isnt a possibility at all. but i do like some. should be interesting how it plays out

There were a lot of people in the D3 beta talking about how shitty the game was, and then a bunch of people who were defending it saying, 'it's only the BETA!"

I haven't seen that sorta stuff in this thread so far. Everyone who has played the game seems to have very much enjoyed themselves.

However, i'm still going to wait and see--i don't want to get burned like i did with D3.

Also, I'm still not sure about the point of PVE in this game. Is it just for carebears? If all i cared about was PVP, i could make a lvl 1 character and do nothing but PVP and be on equal ground, correct?

There were a lot of people in the D3 beta talking about how shitty the game was, and then a bunch of people who were defending it saying, 'it's only the BETA!"

I haven't seen that sorta stuff in this thread so far. Everyone who has played the game seems to have very much enjoyed themselves.

However, i'm still going to wait and see--i don't want to get burned like i did with D3.

Also, I'm still not sure about the point of PVE in this game. Is it just for carebears? If all i cared about was PVP, i could make a lvl 1 character and do nothing but PVP and be on equal ground, correct?

I think there is also an option to create pre-made, max-level PvP only characters. I say I think because I'm only going off memory, not fact or experience.

It's for people that like pve...it is possible to like both...

Anyway, if you just do arranged pvp matches, yes...you are equal.
However, for WvWvW you only have the skills and gear(scaled to max lvl) that you have gotten in pve/WvWvW.

You can also level to max level by doing WvWvW.

It's for people that like pve...it is possible to like both...

Anyway, if you just do arranged pvp matches, yes...you are equal.
However, for WvWvW you only have the skills and gear(scaled to max lvl) that you have gotten in pve/WvWvW.

You can also level to max level by doing WvWvW.

Ahh thank you for the clarification.

So in the large world battles, your progress in PvE still matters.

Excellent! I'm a dude who likes PvE, but only when it benefits me in PvP ^_^

I haven't done pvp yet. If you just jump in at level 1, you will be somewhat competitive. But a true level 80 with everything unlocked of equal skill, will beat you almost every time. However, you can level up from pvp alone, so it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Leveling and item acquisition are not particularly grindy. You'll probably see a few people at max level in 3 days both pvp only and pve only. More casual players will probably get there in a month or 3.

there are plenty of people with GW2 optimization concerns in beta.

i heard that there are still challenging dungeons for people because they have different modes, I know story mode is the first play through but there are other options to ramp up the difficulty after the first run. I also heard the big dynamic meta events can be pretty challenging too

there are plenty of people with GW2 optimization concerns in beta.

i heard that there are still challenging dungeons for people because they have different modes, I know story mode is the first play through but there are other options to ramp up the difficulty after the first run. I also heard the big dynamic meta events can be pretty challenging too

Well optimization is different than the core game sucking =P

much smoother now, 2x better performance at least for me since bwe3

2500k @ 3.9ghz + ATI HD 4870

Wow, this is the first time I've seen absolutely terrible lag in any of the beta events. 5-10 seconds to use a skill, constantly getting rolled back 15 seconds. Doesn't seem I can play much.

Wow, this is the first time I've seen absolutely terrible lag in any of the beta events. 5-10 seconds to use a skill, constantly getting rolled back 15 seconds. Doesn't seem I can play much.

There is not a Beta event going on right now. It is a stress test.

There is not a Beta event going on right now. It is a stress test.
You know what I mean. This is my fourth stress test, I didn't experience any significant amount lag in any of the others. Connectivity issues yes... lag not so much.

Back