The official ARMA 2 Thread, Watch these Videos and join the Hype!

how many files are you downloading at a time? also what's the 'bonus' download at the bottom of the page?

well i guess we'll find out. i hope it's a pdf manual. 6 files down, 6 to go.

bonus is an ARMA II soundtrack. meh.

and....done. backing up my files and then installing. *crosses fingers*

Last edited:
we have similar PC, i also have 6600@3ghz and 4870
let me know how it performs for you

bonus is an ARMA II soundtrack. meh.

and....done. backing up my files and then installing. *crosses fingers*

we have similar PC, i also have 6600@3ghz and 4870
let me know how it performs for you

will do, but i'll need some time to mess with settings before i can report anything of value. i also have a GTX285 sitting here unopened to test out. if i see no performance difference over my 4870 i'm returning the GTX285. i'm at 1680x1050 native res, we'll see after i test this weekend.

Is it just a Bonus or is it the soundtrack the installer needs to install?

not sure but i think it's just a bonus. i didn't know what it was till i clicked it, and at that point i had the same thought as you so i just continued to download it.

i can confirm it's legit. installed, started it up and loaded up the AK-74 in the armory and ran around and shot a little. that's as far as i've gotten, just wanted to let everybody know it's legit. cost me $62 (because i used paypal, would have been $52 without it), took an hour to download, and now i'm playing.

NICE, i think i'll wait till tomorrow and get a box.

post some screenshots with that 4870

i can confirm it's legit. installed, started it up and loaded up the AK-74 in the armory and ran around and shot a little. that's as far as i've gotten, just wanted to let everybody know it's legit. cost me $62 (because i used paypal, would have been $52 without it), took an hour to download, and now i'm playing.

here's some screens from the first single mission "trial by fire". these show typical performance of my system on that particular mission.

Specs:
Q6600 @ 3.0GHZ
4870 512MB @ 775/1050
4GB
Vista 64
Cat 9.5

Settings:
1680x1050 (images below are compressed by photobucket)
fill rate 100%
visibility 1600m
all settings normal, except for post processing set to low

i consider these settings not playable. i usually need mid 30's to feel like the game is running ok. haven't tweaked config files or anything, just fired up the game and started playing.

arma22009-06-1819-33-05-19.jpg

arma22009-06-1819-40-06-72.jpg

arma22009-06-1819-40-24-72.jpg

arma22009-06-1819-40-44-02.jpg

this is me healing another teammate. could you do this in ARMA1? i never figured out how if you could.
arma22009-06-1819-44-09-49.jpg

arma22009-06-1819-45-49-59.jpg

Let me know what happens when you drop that GTX285 in there. There is a deal I'm tempted to jump on, but I wanna hold off until I know how it performs.

Let me know what happens when you drop that GTX285 in there. There is a deal I'm tempted to jump on, but I wanna hold off until I know how it performs.

yeah i'll let you know as soon as i do...should be tomorrow or this weekend sometime. right now i'm not happy with the performance of my 4870, but the 285 might not be much better.

here's some more screens of me tooling around in the armory with the MG36 (awesome gun! :D). the game obviously runs a whole lot better when it's just you in an open field.

arma22009-06-1820-14-44-61.jpg

arma22009-06-1820-17-48-61.jpg

arma22009-06-1820-18-13-40.jpg

arma22009-06-1820-19-03-21.jpg

arma22009-06-1820-19-55-19.jpg

arma22009-06-1820-20-33-16.jpg

I just broke down and ordered from here, within 2 minutes I was downloading,

http://arma2.nexway.com/index2.html?Langue=en_GB&REF=671796

37.6200 EUR = 52.2956 USD

they quickly sent me the download link along with the serial number

I am downloading right now at 800KB/sec

everything seems smooth so far, you have to download 12 different files at 700MB a peice and one of them is a small installer program, no steam BS here you can burn everything to a few DVD's

I will let you guys know how the installation goes in a few hours :D

I want to order this, but they tack on 7 something more euro's for VAT, and I'm not in the UK.

Is there a way to get around this since in the US we don't pay VAT?

I would definitely buy it at 52 bucks to play now but 7 more euro's makes it over 60 bucks and for that I'd rather wait the little over a week more and get it on steam.

Also with this, doe sit let you use the normal patches for retail/UK or what?

Would you like Arma 2 if it was built using the Far Cry 2 Engine? i know far cry 2 the game sucks donkey balls but lets be honest, the game engine was superb

Would you like Arma 2 if it was built using the Far Cry 2 Engine? i know far cry 2 the game sucks donkey balls but lets be honest, the game engine was superb

Not one bit, the bullet physcis is my best liking about ARMA2...all they need are more gamepaly physcis and I lock myself up and trhow away the key and game til I drop :D

I want to order this, but they tack on 7 something more euro's for VAT, and I'm not in the UK.

Is there a way to get around this since in the US we don't pay VAT?

I would definitely buy it at 52 bucks to play now but 7 more euro's makes it over 60 bucks and for that I'd rather wait the little over a week more and get it on steam.

Also with this, doe sit let you use the normal patches for retail/UK or what?

you ony have to pay VAT if you use paypal. if you just use a credit card you can get the game for $52. some people over on the BIS forums that paid with a cc have had waiting periods (for the payment to process) before they could download the game. also some that used a cc got immediate download access, so it could go either way. everyone i've seen that used paypal got immediate access. i used paypal for the extra security, and also if i picked it up retail i would have paid $54.29, so an extra $7.71 was worth it to me.

First things first, for those who already have this game, pls post your in game settings and your hardware specs! How is your FPS on HIGHEST without AA.

[H] community Thanks you!

^ lifelike? Reminds me of old CGI, but nothing near lifelike.

What gets me is there movement, its hauntingly real. Only cheese shoot I saw was in that Black Hawk down video where the Humvee humps the other Humvee and some of those folks go flying, looks like BF2.

Still trying to decide between a GTX260 or a GTX285, come folks lets get some benches out there!

First things first, for those who already have this game, pls post your in game settings and your hardware specs! How is your FPS on HIGHEST without AA.

[H] community Thanks you!

There are no AA in ARMA2, only a "fillrate" setting, normally at 100% (1x render size) that goes op to 200% (2 x render size)

But this game is like Crysis, very FPS forgiving...30FPS is what I aim for in this game

And I can repeat myself:
Rig in sig, NVIDIA CP set to High Quality, all ingame settings a max (except for fillrate at 100%) 31-35FPS

(My i7 is running at BCLK 175 = 3.5GHz) everything else at stock

What gets me is there movement, its hauntingly real. Only cheese shoot I saw was in that Black Hawk down video where the Humvee humps the other Humvee and some of those folks go flying, looks like BF2.

Still trying to decide between a GTX260 or a GTX285, come folks lets get some benches out there!

Like I said, this game and screenshots don't give the true picture.
Video's comes real close, but lack a lot of detail compared to gaming...but they ar still a gazzilion times better than screenshots, which make the world look "plastique" and misses out on all the sublte motions in foilage, ligthing ect.

Patch 1.02 details:

ARMA II Patch 1.02

We are planning to release ARMA II Patch 1.02 soon but I can't confirm specific time yet.

It will be around 125 MB large download compatible with all game versions 1.00 DE and 1.01 DE/CZE/INTERNATIONAL.

Version 1.02 Highlights

* Improved AI driving skills
* Lowered enemy AI skills for regular and recruit difficulty levels
* Improved Micro AI tactics, attack in pairs, path limiting to avoid passing through walls.
* Fixed multiplayer session NAT negotiation
* Improved game stability (various crash opportunities fixed)
* Multiple save slots supported
* Improved terrain shape beyond map borders
* Various campaign and localization fixes and improvements
* Modules (F7) support added in the Mission Editor
* Added option to disable various post-process effects (bloom, blur etc.)

i'm happy about multiple save slots and control over post-process effects.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1317011

Has anyone played multiplayer? What's the maximum amount of players? Will it be like Operation Flashpoint 2 with bots?...I quote:

""The PC version will feature a total of 32 players (16 vs 16) in addition to three AI squad members per player for a total of 128 soldiers."

last night i loaded a goat in the armory. you can play as a goat. i then accepted a challenge to run the goat through an obstacle course...which i failed at. this game has some goofy things about it.

(if you've never played an ARMA game before this might not make any sense)

There are no AA in ARMA2, only a "fillrate" setting, normally at 100% (1x render size) that goes op to 200% (2 x render size)

But this game is like Crysis, very FPS forgiving...30FPS is what I aim for in this game

And I can repeat myself:
Rig in sig, NVIDIA CP set to High Quality, all ingame settings a max (except for fillrate at 100%) 31-35FPS

Christ. Hurry up AMD with the HD5000 series!

I have the arrrrrg! version while I'm waiting for the demo\STEAM and I found that you could disable a BTR with the anti-tank rifles. I'm going to shoot an empty one to see if it actually takes any damage.

Also all the old ARMA\OFP mods are going to be easy to port over... FDF mod, here I come. :D

And I can repeat myself:

Awesome.
Thanks for you results.

I just broke down and ordered from here, within 2 minutes I was downloading,

http://arma2.nexway.com/index2.html?Langue=en_GB&REF=671796

37.6200 EUR = 52.2956 USD

they quickly sent me the download link along with the serial number

I am downloading right now at 800KB/sec

everything seems smooth so far, you have to download 12 different files at 700MB a peice and one of them is a small installer program, no steam BS here you can burn everything to a few DVD's

I will let you guys know how the installation goes in a few hours :D

to anyone considering an ARMA2 purchase from Nexway, you should know there is an activation limit. i haven't verified exactly how many you get, but word on the BIS forums is you only get 3. i'm sure you could always email Nexway if you need additional activations. just something to keep in mind if you're considering purchasing from them.

from my confirmation email:
Nexway said:
To activate your software, please enter the code below and choose "Automatic Activation" at the first launch.
(You must have a broadband connection).
Be careful ! There's a limited number of activations.

to anyone considering an ARMA2 purchase from Nexway, you should know there is an activation limit.

Yeah, the only reason I'm waiting for STEAM. If I ever make a mistake or boo-boo, no CDs to fumble with or whatever, it's all there. Seven more days to go!

I was messing around in the editor, I think I installed a mod that unlocks all the buildings and stuff in the editor and I discovered there is a T-34. C'mon, that is pretty cool. You can even man the front\driver's machine gun (it's a seperate gunner position). I assume it's for the resistance. Also the BTR-90 and similar vehicles take damage from anti-material rifles but I'm assuming the old ARMA\OFP damage system is in effect so it's based on area (shoot the turret\tracks).

For Comrade Stalin? :D
arma22009-06-1915-37-33-06.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry guys but this game is complete crap on my system.

The HDR is all messed up, when I look away from the sun it looks fine but if i turn into the sun when I am in a forest everything is pitch black, you can't even see the trees they are all black along with the ground, also when you zoom in the HDR lags and it takes a few seconds to adjust I just don't get it this has to be the worst lighting I have ever seen in a game.

When i zoom in to see something far away objects start to appear out of nowhere its really dumb.

every other game runs fine on my system

Also I had to do the -winxp and rename the Arma.exe to Crysis64 to enable multi GPU on my 9800GX2.

And I dont even want to start about all the strange bugs.

I just hope a future patch fixes everything.

Back