The Offical - Who is buying a Haswell-E 5960X, 5930K or 5820K Thread

5960x, 32GB DDR4 2400MHZ memory and a Asus Sabertooth X99 motherboard. Credit Card in hand...TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY NOW. I am hoping my local frys will have it, but after asking when their X99 stuff will be released, I got a cold shoulder. So, most likely the Egg will get my money tomorrow. I was hoping to build it over the weekend.

Since I'm not a moron, I buy things based on a price/value comparison after thorough investigation. So I wouldn't be able to tell you if I'm buying or not at this particular time.

i7-5820K (~350 euros), ASUS X99 Deluxe (~350 euros) and 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-2400 on the way.

ill be building a pc using the 5820k for sure.... cant wait!

I will likely be building a 5820K system myself assuming the X99 motherboards and CPU support virtualization extensions. Don't get me wrong, it'll primarily be my gaming PC, but I do want to popup a couple VMs in the near future for some extended DB and programming learning. Also, working with audio in Sony's audio suites will benefit from those extra cores, not that the 2600K struggles with that at all.

I will be putting together a 5820K system in the next week or 2. Waiting to read some of the reviews and see the different motherboard options. My poor current system is coughing and sputtering in the last weeks letting me know its time (plays musical chairs with my HDDs...never know which will work after booting up!). I have only done GPU upgrades on this system since 2008 when I built it and one of the HDD is from a previous build which is probably about 10+ years old now.

I plan on keeping my 7870 for now, waiting for the new NV and AMD cards to drop if they are the new architectures...current offerings are just old tech with some face lifts.

I find it incredibly hard to get excited about something that we should have had nearly three years ago...we've been waiting for an unlocked 8-core for so long that it's an insult at this point in time, especially with the multi-core options that the Xeons offer (but are all hard locked). They could have given us such a chip 34 months ago for a premium price with the launch of X79 and for damn well could have made one available 30 months ago with the launch of Sandy Bridge-EP if they had unlocked the E5-2687W, not to mention last year with Ivy Bridge-EP's launch.:mad:

Intel wants me to be happy and excited about this chip?? I'm much more disgusted that it's taken this long to finally see it. How long before we see a unlocked 10-core? 2018? Intel has given little or nothing to the high-end enthusiast and now the best they're offering is a core count that they've milked thoroughly for the last three years and now finally decide to offer it to us peons. Wow, thanks Intel for your unbridled benevolence.:rolleyes:

Also, to make matters (much) worse, coolaler finally revealed today that the E5-2699 V3 is, like every other dual-capable E5 Xeon released before, hard locked.

http://translate.googleusercontent....%B8%AC&usg=ALkJrhiRWGiEs2SGEpzjKBoQQWW6b7nHMw

He managed to overclock it to whopping 2940MHz...and ran Cinebench on the chip at this speed with a voltage of 0.895V!!!!! The headroom left in this chip is huge. What a damn waste...:(

Unless Intel surprises us all and releases something totally unexpected at IDF in the form of an unlocked, dual capable, high-core count CPU (an event which has a likelihood of occurring that is dramatically less than that of winning the Powerball), it looks like the same BS, all over again for yet another product cycle. :mad:

He managed to overclock it to whopping 2940MHz...and ran Cinebench on the chip at this speed with a voltage of 0.895V!!!!! The headroom left in this chip is huge. What a damn waste...:(

Damn!!! That is some low voltage. Those chips unlocked, would make for one crazy ass fast personal computer. That does suck.

I'm def getting the i7-5960X for rendering. Some info suggest that overclocking it to 4,2-4,3 GHz at about 1,2 volt without getting a ton of heat should be attainable. And that is really all I need to know to get my credit card out. :D

Mobo will be either Asus or Gigabyte.

Damn!!! That is some low voltage. Those chips unlocked, would make for one crazy ass fast personal computer. That does suck.

Yes, it would. But instead, this chip is an exotic sports car that has a rev limiter of 1500RPM and locked in first gear for what amounts to fuel economy concerns all for the low, low price of $4k...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Gonna be my first extreme processor chip, the 5960x. Thinking about pairing it with the x99 Classified, ASUS Rampage V or the ASUS x99-e WS.

I am going all in. The last PC I built was in '08, its about time to upgrade.

Getting the 5960x, the Asus Rampage or Deluxe, thinking of at least 3000 DDR4, wrap it up with 3 GTX 980's, maybe 4 if the rumor price is $500. Caselabs case, watercool and OC it all, the new Asus ROG swift monitor x3 for surround+G-sync or ULMB if tearing isn't bad.

All in all it should be a large price, but I think it will last for a long time to come and will be great fun to build.

I am going all in. The last PC I built was in '08, its about time to upgrade.

Getting the 5960x, the Asus Rampage or Deluxe, thinking of at least 3000 DDR4, wrap it up with 3 GTX 980's, maybe 4 if the rumor price is $500. Caselabs case, watercool and OC it all, the new Asus ROG swift monitor x3 for surround+G-sync or ULMB if tearing isn't bad.

All in all it should be a large price, but I think it will last for a long time to come and will be great fun to build.

Now that is the spirit. I like it! :D

I was planning on putting together a future build consisting of 4930K/Asus X79 Deluxe combo. HOWEVER, the more news that comes out on the Asus X99 Deluxe/ROG boards, the more I want to wait.

i7-4930K/Asus X79 Deluxe
V.S.
i7-5930K/Asus X99 Deluxe/ROG

What would you do?

Usage includes 3 4k monitor gaming, photo/video editing, oculus, 3D rendering, and multi-window multi-tabbed picture and/or video pr0n goodness. :D

Unless you get a very good deal on that X79 + 4930K, there is no point in getting that. If for nothing else, then for M.2 and/or SATA Express support.

+1 for no reason to go x79 at this point unless you can get a great deal. x79 is now an EOL product while x99 is just launching.

DDR4 should scale beyond 4ghz speeds in the next few years. Sure, ram performance makes a minimal performance impact, but we're still talking about a performance gap that will only increase over the years between x79 and x99. And a minimal performance impact is still a performance impact. I'll take any boost I can get.

M.2 drives are fast as hell, I'll be looking at one for my next OS drive.

Also, socket 2011-3 will probably be used for the next gen of processors too. So if some 12 core beast comes out next year, you'll be able to drop it right in with a bios update.

x99 is the fully-fledged platform x79 should have been. More PCIe lanes, more Sata ports, etc. Across the board "it's just better".

Is M.2 worth it, or is something else just around the corner?

M.2 is going to be here for some time. The problem is actually on the drive side. SATA M.2's are limited by SATA3 speeds, so those are irrelevant (also many boards don't support SATA mode for M.2 slot).

And when you want a PCI-E based M.2 SSD, you hit a brick wall. The full list of PCI-E based M.2 SSDs available to end consumer is :
- Plextor M6e M.2 (770MB read, 330/580/625 MB write for 128/256/512GB model)
- Samsung XP941 (1000/450 for 128GB; 1080/800 for 256GB; 1170/950 for 512GB model)

Yep, that is the full list. There is one more drive from Sandisk, but that one is not available on retail market. Every other M.2 SSD is SATA based.

Everyone is waiting on Sandforce SF3700 and something from Marvell to start producing PCI-E based M.2 SSDs, until then we are stuck with these two.

Is M.2 worth it, or is something else just around the corner?

M.2 is new (released 2013 i believe), I doubt it will be replaced in the next few years. it has a distinct advantage over the SATA interface by providing a direct link to the CPU without having to go through as many hops.

If i needed an OS SSD for my x99 build, I'd definitely get an M.2 drive. No reason not to. It's faster.

If i needed an OS SSD for my x99 build, I'd definitely get an M.2 drive. No reason not to. It's faster.

The problem is what i described above - very limited options. Especially on most of X99 boards, which don't have SATA support in their M.2 slots, only PCI-E. And SATA M.2 is exactly as fast as normal SATA drive.

The problem is what i described above - very limited options. Especially on most of X99 boards, which don't have SATA support in their M.2 slots, only PCI-E. And SATA M.2 is exactly as fast as normal SATA drive.

Depends on the speed of the PCI-E connection. x1 or x2, sure, not a big deal. But a 4x lane connection provides 32GB/s bandwith. Thats over 5x the speed of SATA 6GB/s connection.

other-bar_01-en_06.jpg

Doesn't look to be ASRock specific either, Asus is touting the same 32GB/s transfer rate for their M.2 connections on their x99 boards.

The performance impact is there. This is a drive that was available 2 months ago and it's destroying all SATA drives:

63468.png

Definitely not a 5x increase, but still a huge margin. Looking at the full suite of tests ran on it, it seems like these drives are at the top of the pack for sequential tests and half of the random tests, while being in the middle of the pack for the other half of the random tests. The gap will do nothing but increase between the two form factors as we get higher quality PCI-E x4 M.2 drives.

Last edited:
is there something "that worth buy" that use M.2 or SATA Express?

Samsung XP941. For now. Later this year or at start of next year bunch of SF3700 based SSD's (rumored to get 1.6GB/s read).

Depends on the speed of the PCI-E connection. x1 or x2, sure, not a big deal. But a 4x lane connection provides 32GB/s bandwith. Thats over 5x the speed of SATA 6GB/s connection.

Sure. But i am saying the better of two PCI-E M.2 SSD's on market out on the market maxes out at 1.2GB/s; the second one maxes out at 770MB/s. Port bandwidth is big, but there are no devices which can use it even to half of the potential.

Doesn't look to be ASRock specific either, Asus is touting the same 32GB/s transfer rate for their M.2 connections on their x99 boards.

Yes, ASRock Z97 boards had it, and pretty much all X99 boards from all manufacturers have it.

And no need to tell me about XP941, i got one running in my server :) :
xpg941_20140721.png

Regarding M.2 and SATA Express, I'm not sure any of these will ever take off big time.

NVMe SSD on PCIe (like Intels new Data Center-series P3700/P3600) seems like a no-brainer tech going forward. Everybody have a PCIe slot after all, and NVMe is tailor-made for SSD.

Regarding M.2 and SATA Express, I'm not sure any of these will ever take off big time.

NVMe SSD on PCIe (like Intels new Data Center-series P3700/P3600) seems like a no-brainer tech going forward. Everybody have a PCIe slot after all, and NVMe is tailor-made for SSD.

Infact I don't understand the need of M.2 while we have PCI Express.
Just, something to throw out something new imho.

M.2 is the unversal form factor for SSDs to be used in both desktop and laptops. It is a shared standard.

M.2 is the unversal form factor for SSDs to be used in both desktop and laptops. It is a shared standard.

Good point on the laptops. It makes perfect sense there, and Apple seems to drive the tech aggressively. Anyway, we're going off-topic. :)

Infact I don't understand the need of M.2 while we have PCI Express.
Just, something to throw out something new imho.

Need is a very strong word to use when we are talking about bleeding edge enthusiast stuff. :cool:

With how mobile-device focused the world is these days, I can easily see M.2 becoming the next big thing. Those drives are tiny even in comparison to a 2.5" drive. Small is good. Once the performance gap grows and competition drives prices down we'll be forced to convert. These drives are cheaper to make than SATA drives, too - no housing required. Some of that saving will be passed along to us.

Replacing the SATA interface with a direct connection is an easy way to get more performance. We plug everything else directly into the motherboard, why not the SSD too. The M.2 implementation on current motherboards is kind of awkward, though. Definitely not as easy or intuitive as SATA...yet.

SATA definitely isn't going anywhere though. Not until we replace traditional mechanical drives with something else for mass storage.

Frys is selling the 5820k for $344. In-store pickup only however.

Edit: Good chance microcenter will have some deals popping up soon.

Last edited:
Just picked one up at Fry's.

My local Fry's doesn't have any X99 motherboards in stock though

x99 is the fully-fledged platform x79 should have been. More PCIe lanes, more Sata ports, etc. Across the board "it's just better".

When you mean more PCIe lanes, you only mean when you purchase the 5930k/5960x right? Otherwise all x79 chips have 40 lanes, where as you'll have to spring for the 5930k or higher for x99 in order to get that (smart move on Intel to limit PCIe lanes). But 3 way SLI at 8x isn't bad (gaming wise, applications may vary), so even the 5820k can handle it I'm sure.

I'd like x99 but my x79 system is still alive and I already built a z97 system so all that budget is gone. It does look nice, but for my use I don't need the 6 cores, or play enough EA based games to make me think I do.

Back