The Obligatory iPad 3 Announcement Thread

I'm with Tmobile now but I was with AT&T for about ten years and I would not count on tethering being free when (if) it's ever available.

I am going to order through Best Buy since they have an 18-month financing.

I was debating about the 4G but I think I am going to get the 32gb black iPad wi-fi edition. I use Comixology and DC Comics apps and those pinball games so I can't wait for the high resolution of the iPad. I always have trouble with the small screen on my iPhone 4.

I guess if I want to buy a case I need to wait since the size is different from the previous versions?

Why is applecare a must?
Because is guarantees that you can walk into any Apple store and return your item if its broken and get a new one. I have the original model still and had it replaced four times, never a problem.

Because is guarantees that you can walk into any Apple store and return your item if its broken and get a new one. I have the original model still and had it replaced four times, never a problem.
How did you need it replaced 4 times?

Also with this iteration of AppleCare+ it seems like you can only get it replaced twice, with a service charge of $49 each time you need it serviced.

I was debating about the 4G but I think I am going to get the 32gb black iPad wi-fi edition. I use Comixology and DC Comics apps and those pinball games so I can't wait for the high resolution of the iPad. I always have trouble with the small screen on my iPhone 4.

I guess if I want to buy a case I need to wait since the size is different from the previous versions?

I'm anticipating using the exact same case that I had for my 2nd gen iPad. The thickness is a bit greater on the 3rd gen iPad but the case, I think, will accommodate it. It is not rigid at all. Also, if you have a smart cover, than should work fine too.

Mine shipped last night. Coming from China with an estimated delivery date of 3/16.

Unless its 0% financing -- why on earth would you finance a damn ipad? I can understand financing a house, and maybe a car, but a 600 dollar toy?

Not trying to sound like a dick but anytime you think about financing ANYTHING, the first question you gotta ask is "can I really afford this"?

I'm anticipating using the exact same case that I had for my 2nd gen iPad. The thickness is a bit greater on the 3rd gen iPad but the case, I think, will accommodate it. It is not rigid at all. Also, if you have a smart cover, than should work fine too.

yeah, from what I've heard, the existing 'smart covers' should fit the new ones fine. I wouldn't count on the rest fitting though unless they're 'soft' (not-snapin). Even then, the hole locations might of changed between models.

Has anybody heard anything about new cases? All I've heard about are the new ones from Targus, which may work for a little while until some more are released. I loved my SwitchEasy Canvas case for my iPad2 though. Hopefully they've got another in the works.

Has anybody heard anything about new cases? All I've heard about are the new ones from Targus, which may work for a little while until some more are released. I loved my SwitchEasy Canvas case for my iPad2 though. Hopefully they've got another in the works.

They are all starting to come out now. Belkin has their whole line available. http://www.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=208762

I ordered this one yesterday.
http://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Folio-Stand-Generation-Verizon/dp/B0079TOET8/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_cart_1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just ordered a 16gb with Verizon 4G. Got the 4G because I am often needing to check my mail/work in places where I have no wifi hotspot and it would be too inconvenient to set my phone to tether, plus I need as much battery as I can get from my phone. Top it off that my Evo 3D has hboot 1.5 and is a thorough bitch to root to even turn on tethering. I still have not figured that out. Replacing my original iPad with 3G.

Any suggestions on a nice case? I don't much care for the smart cover because it does not protect the edges or back. I am mainly looking for something that is not bulky. I know it's early, but just wondering what may be coming down the pipe soon.

I think anything that covers the back, front, and sides will be bulky. Considering the cost of the SmartCover, I find it disappointing that it doesn't protect the back of the unit.

I think anything that covers the back, front, and sides will be bulky. Considering the cost of the SmartCover, I find it disappointing that it doesn't protect the back of the unit.

I'm thinking of maybe a smartcover + gel back cover type case?

I bought a Smart Cover and waiting for LuckyLabs to release their new iPad skin for the back. I have one on my iPhone (with a Bumper) and it protects the back from scratches very well.

Just checked the status on my order and it now says being prepared for shipment!

I bought a Smart Cover and waiting for LuckyLabs to release their new iPad skin for the back. I have one on my iPhone (with a Bumper) and it protects the back from scratches very well.

thanks for the link. I find these skins are important for the back, even if you put the device in a case. When do you think they will release? I'd like to have a skin BEFORE I get my new iPad.

I'm just going to do the Zagg stuff all over it, like I did for my iPhone and other stuff. I like the slightly rubbery texture, adds grip, and it makes it still look nice for me to be honest. Thought I might refrain from Zagg for the screen and get one that won't make the image any worse (even if it's a small amount), I want it to be as sharp as possible with decent protection.

My $70 SM came apart less than one year after I bought it. I will NOT be going that route again (even though I do like keeping my device sleek and lightweight).

I wonder if I should take it to the Apple store tonight to see if I can recover under warranty? Anyone tried this?

thanks for the link. I find these skins are important for the back, even if you put the device in a case. When do you think they will release? I'd like to have a skin BEFORE I get my new iPad.

They actually just started taking preorders for the new iPad and says that it will ship 1-2 days after it is released. Probably going to go with the full body to match.

Thanks. Ordered a Teksure back cover in Nezuko grain. Will mate it to a dark gray smart cover.

Thanks. Ordered a Teksure back cover in Nezuko grain. Will mate it to a dark gray smart cover.

Not sure if you ordered, but I'd cancel and use the coupon code "newipad35" and get 35% off your entire order. (Sorry, just saw that in their newsletter and it expires March 24th.)

Unless its 0% financing -- why on earth would you finance a damn ipad? I can understand financing a house, and maybe a car, but a 600 dollar toy?

Not trying to sound like a dick but anytime you think about financing ANYTHING, the first question you gotta ask is "can I really afford this"?

It is 0% financing. Why pay all now if I can do it in 18 months, with zero interest?

Because the credit inquiry may negatively impact your FICO score. As I understand, Apple's financing options are not same-as-cash.

Im a big fan of credit cards too, for the fliers and rewards and all that 'nonsense'. I pay the entire balance off within a week or two anyway though. Works for me. Cars and such are different things, if possible I'd rather pay it all in cash. I hate financing in general.

Not sure if you ordered, but I'd cancel and use the coupon code "newipad35" and get 35% off your entire order. (Sorry, just saw that in their newsletter and it expires March 24th.)

Holy crap! I was just parsing through and I thought this was an apple store coupon, cancel the heart attack. I just ordered mine on the 7th (took several tries on the website), was in UPS hands in China on the 8th, delivery scheduled for the 16th, woot! Not for me, for Mom's bd. I did get the applecare+ because this is one item I won't do tech support on!

Holy crap! I was just parsing through and I thought this was an apple store coupon, cancel the heart attack. I just ordered mine on the 7th (took several tries on the website), was in UPS hands in China on the 8th, delivery scheduled for the 16th, woot! Not for me, for Mom's bd. I did get the applecare+ because this is one item I won't do tech support on!

Why bother with applecare? It's not like most people are going to have it next year at this time anyway with the true iPad 3 coming out. You get a standard 1 year anyway.

Back