The Obligatory iPad 3 Announcement Thread

I don't see anything in the post your replied to saying he was getting a full time data plan, so not getting how this set off your Data model attack.

Also as I pointed out. I don't have a data plan to tether from. I think all full time data plans are a waste of money.

Tethering while traveling can cost you a fortune for international data roaming. Better to get a local plan anyway.

A data model means my annual data charges would be $30. How much is a year of cellular data.

Waste of money, for YOU. Some of us (I), use our phones more than anything throughout a typical business oriented day. Constantly emailing and making phone calls is a must. Not a waste of money at all in MY book.

I don't see anything in the post your replied to saying he was getting a full time data plan, so not getting how this set off your Data model attack.

Also as I pointed out. I don't have a data plan to tether from. I think all full time data plans are a waste of money.

Tethering while traveling can cost you a fortune for international data roaming. Better to get a local plan anyway.

A data model means my annual data charges would be $30. How much is a year of cellular data.

1) He's getting on people for getting a 64GB model...so I was getting on him for wanting a 3G/4G model. The point is that people have different reasons for what they decide to buy..and just because he doesn't get it doesn't mean the reasons aren't valid. Why in the world would apple have so many different options for people to pick?

2) Likewise with you...you don't think data plans are a good value, fine. Other people do. You're not more right than they are, or no more wrong. I know people who have data plans on both phone and tablet. I don't need that, so I didn't get that.

3) Not everyone wants to tether for international travel, so the issue, while perhaps valid from a cost POV, still doesn't apply to everyone. Many would rather use a tablet on wifi and tether on those rare times when they do travel aboard, or not even worry about surfing the web when they're in another country where supposedly the travel destination is the focus. Living on the web while on vacation makes vacation seem like just a regular thing. Personally, when I go to a destination my interest is in seeing what is there to see....not surfing the web all day. I'm using on the go the entire time or sleeping or eating.

Waste of money, for YOU. Some of us (I), use our phones more than anything throughout a typical business oriented day. Constantly emailing and making phone calls is a must. Not a waste of money at all in MY book.

I didn't say for everyone. In your case it should also be a business expense.

I work in an office with computer/phone/internet provided. I have computer/phone/internet at home. Why would I need to have internet on my cell phone?

Just pre-ordered the 64GB with 4G. Threw in an Apple TV too. Can't wait to get them and try AirPlay on the TV. March 16th can't come soon enough.

What some people forget is you can add or drop the data plan as you please. If you do not need it for that month, you can always deactivate and reactivate when needed. A personal hotspot is also a plus.

Last edited:
1) He's getting on people for getting a 64GB model...so I was getting on him for wanting a 3G/4G model.

Except he never said anything about getting a 3G/4G cell data version. Which is why I didn't understand your rant.

Living on the web while on vacation makes vacation seem like just a regular thing. Personally, when I go to a destination my interest is in seeing what is there to see....not surfing the web all day.

Who said anything about living on the web. Want to find a restaurant, find out when some attractions are open, nearest campground, find entrance fees, etc... I am talking about spending 20 minutes in your hotel at night planning some activities for the next day. Or killing time waiting in in airports.

Just pre-ordered the 64GB with 4G. Threw in an Apple TV too. Can't wait to get them and try AirPlay on the TV. March 16th can't come soon enough.

Let us know how it works :) .

Snowdog said:
I didn't say for everyone. In your case it should also be a business expense.

I work in an office with computer/phone/internet provided. I have computer/phone/internet at home. Why would I need to have internet on my cell phone?

I have all the same as well, but it's much different when I'm always traveling. In my case I have unlimited data from Verizon, I just pay the monthly plan. Everything else, gas, expenses, are accounted for. I personally don't mind paying a few bucks a month to get a really great phone experience, especially since I'm glued to it and use it whether I'm walking, jogging, on the couch, at dinner (I know, it's bad, but hey that's why I make an excellent salary). For things I REALLY want, I'm willing to pay for it, and it's always money well spent.

Except he never said anything about getting a 3G/4G cell data version. Which is why I didn't understand your rant.

Who said anything about living on the web. Want to find a restaurant, find out when some attractions are open, nearest campground, find entrance fees, etc... I am talking about spending 20 minutes in your hotel at night planning some activities for the next day. Or killing time waiting in in airports.

I use my iPhone for that too ;)

Pre ordered the 32GB Wifi version for Friday delivery which sure beats standing in line.

How do the new AppleCare+ and SquareTrade warranties compare? I never bought a warranty for my iPad2, but of course, 3 days after I listed it on craigslist, it gets dropped and the back dented. I still sold it ($400 for a 32GB WiFi), but this time around I'm considering a warranty in case this happens again.

How do the new AppleCare+ and SquareTrade warranties compare? I never bought a warranty for my iPad2, but of course, 3 days after I listed it on craigslist, it gets dropped and the back dented. I still sold it ($400 for a 32GB WiFi), but this time around I'm considering a warranty in case this happens again.

That depends, how do you feel about $99? Might as well just go with Apple's system. My reasoning anyway.

That depends, how do you feel about $99? Might as well just go with Apple's system. My reasoning anyway.

I meant how do they compare with each other though? While buying a warranty itself is debatable, if you had to choose between the two, which would it be? I understand what you're saying with sticking with Apple, but it seems theirs still may be more limited than SquareTrade's, but I really don't know.

Both are $99 and a 2 year warranty. AppleCare+ now includes accident protection for up to two incidents, but there is a $50 service charge per incident. With SquareTrader, there doesn't appear to be a limit on the amount of incidents nor a service charge. However, with SquareTrader, you don't receive the two year technical support by Apple. SquareTrader is more of an insurance against accidents while AppleCare+ gives you technical support plus a limited amount of accident protection.

I meant how do they compare with each other though? While buying a warranty itself is debatable, if you had to choose between the two, which would it be? I understand what you're saying with sticking with Apple, but it seems theirs still may be more limited than SquareTrade's, but I really don't know.

To be honest, the way I look at it is that it only helps resale value (off on a tangent for a second). You also need name/address of new owner, helps give you some peace of mind if that helps you sleep any better at night.

You could also try Worth Ave, you can get their insurance anytime, as opposed to say Squaretrade where you have to register your product within 30 days of purchase (makes sense I suppose).

It's hard to say. Insurance is a 'what if?' basis. I tend to do an impulse buy when I get insurance protection on anything. This time, I decided that applecare was what I was going with. I had a few things go wrong on my iPhone 4, and I wish I had the dumb-ass applecare to begin with. You may never have anything happen to it, but who knows that?

Mr.Miyagi said:
Both are $99 and a 2 year warranty. AppleCare+ now includes accident protection for up to two incidents, but there is a $50 service charge per incident. With SquareTrader, there doesn't appear to be a limit on the amount of incidents nor a service charge. However, with SquareTrader, you don't receive the two year technical support by Apple. SquareTrader is more of an insurance against accidents while AppleCare+ gives you technical support plus a limited amount of accident protection.

I think I'd also rather have the tech support among all other things accounted for. I always feel better buying things straight from the main man.

I imagine SquareTrade might also reduce their iPad protection price in light of the availability of AppleCare+. You have 30 days to make a choice, so take advantage of that to see what SquareTrade ends up doing.

I'll probably go with SquareTrade based on what you guys are saying due to the fact they seem more geared toward accidental physical damage, which is what I'm more worried about than anything else.

This may be a little naive, but short of physical damage (whether internal or external), what could require technical support from AppleCare that couldn't be resolved by completely restoring the device? I don't know if there's a chance in bricking the iPad via jailbreaking, but I have no interest in doing that anyway.

This may be a little naive, but short of physical damage (whether internal or external), what could require technical support from AppleCare that couldn't be resolved by completely restoring the device? I don't know if there's a chance in bricking the iPad via jailbreaking, but I have no interest in doing that anyway.

well, besides physical damage (broken screen, dented case, etc), it also covers the battery, storage, logic board, etc in case those ever suddenly start flaking out. Applecare is nice because you can bring it directly to an applestore and walk out with a replacement a few mins later. No waiting and they're usually very helpful.

As for jailbreaking, I've never once heard of anyone bricking an iOS device through regular means. Even if something goes wrong, you can still put it into DFU mode and re-restore it. I think most of the bricking came from early unlocking rechniques for the iphone and using very early beta software (like open iboot to dual boot ios and android)

I'll probably go with SquareTrade based on what you guys are saying due to the fact they seem more geared toward accidental physical damage, which is what I'm more worried about than anything else.

The advantage of AppleCare+ is the ability to get a replacement the same day. If you have an Apple Store near you, I'd highly recommend going with AC+ over SquareTrade. If you'd have to ship it back to get a replacement, it probably doesn't make much difference who you go with.

Another first hand impression of the display. This is the killer feature IMO:
http://gdgt.com/discuss/ipad-3rd-gen-first-impressions-169l/
So how IS the Retina Display on the new iPad?
Amazing. Seriously amazing. I really love the Retina Display on the iPhone 4/4S, but this feels like a step forward even from that. Not because it's a better display (which it may well be), but because the much larger scale of the screen makes it feel transformative to the experience of looking at a Retina Display and using an iPad.

The brightness, color, and richness were all great. I'm reasonably sure they brought the display closer to the glass like they did with the iPhone 4/4S Retina Display, but I'm not willing to commit that to the record. The resolution is what brings it home though. Let me put it this way: when I pulled up a nice, high resolution photograph on the iPad 3rd-gen, I genuinely could not tell the difference between what I was seeing onscreen, and a nice, beautifully shot, well-printed, glossy photograph. It was seriously to that level.

It's the best display I've ever seen. Anywhere, period. And it makes a meaningful difference to the experience -- it's not just a spec.

okay, just got my email. Says processing as well.

It does say that it will be delivered on the 16th though. I've been reading reports that some folks, after ordering, were showing a ship date of 1-2 weeks instead of the 16th

okay, just got my email. Says processing as well.

It does say that it will be delivered on the 16th though. I've been reading reports that some folks, after ordering, were showing a ship date of 1-2 weeks instead of the 16th

I believe those were for UK and Australia not the US unless someone from the states that placed an order can confirm.

My order says, "Delivers on March 16th."

I just checked again. You can still order now and it will deliver 3/16.

I believe those were for UK and Australia not the US unless someone from the states that placed an order can confirm.

actually, upon further reading, it appears to be the 4G enabled ipads that are starting to run out. The Wifi models seem to be okay.

Changed my order from 16 to 32gb.. still wifi though..

I'm debating the 4g but... between the carrier options I'm not sure which I'd go with... and if its worth it.. I am just having a tough time seeing situations where I won't have wifi other than at an airport.. that I wouldn't just use my phone for? If you guys can tell me when/what you use your data for (i think mostly id want to stream video which would rape those packages..

What apps/tasks do you use that would consume 4g data?

Anyone considered the LTE versions, if you have no allegiance to either AT&T or Verizon.

I'd honestly suggest going with Verizon, as they will allow you to use the iPad as a hot spot at no extra charge. AT&T isn't allowing it, at all.

Anyone considered the LTE versions, if you have no allegiance to either AT&T or Verizon.

I'd honestly suggest going with Verizon, as they will allow you to use the iPad as a hot spot at no extra charge. AT&T isn't allowing it, at all.

Whoa! Where was this info listed? I went with Verizon because I am already a customer, but I hadn't heard anything about real differences (outside of Verizon having a 10gb $80 plan). This is a big one (and something I would pass on to people to people who picked AT&T with no real reason for it).

Whoa! Where was this info listed? I went with Verizon because I am already a customer, but I hadn't heard anything about real differences (outside of Verizon having a 10gb $80 plan). This is a big one (and something I would pass on to people to people who picked AT&T with no real reason for it).

Except what are you actually going to use it for a hotspot with? Having the tablet means you likely aren't going to be whipping out your laptop... and if you do what would it be giving wifi to.. your laptop for what purpose? Other than work I can see little advantage to that.

Verizon has the 10gb plan which is outrageously expensive, and AT&T has the 2gb plan for slightly more... its all bullslhit that seems like collusion :p. I read somewhere AT&T was working on offering hotspot functionality..

Except what are you actually going to use it for a hotspot with? Having the tablet means you likely aren't going to be whipping out your laptop... and if you do what would it be giving wifi to.. your laptop for what purpose? Other than work I can see little advantage to that.

That is exactly why I want it :) There are times where it will be useful to have both out (makeshift dual monitors for reading off the iPad while editing on the laptop) and for times where I only want to use my laptop, I'd rather drain my iPad battery than my phone

The other option is when out with other people, it provides the ability for multiple people (who may be using laptops as their only computing device) to have internet.

I don't foresee using it a lot, but I would like it.

That is exactly why I want it :) There are times where it will be useful to have both out (makeshift dual monitors for reading off the iPad while editing on the laptop) and for times where I only want to use my laptop, I'd rather drain my iPad battery than my phone

The other option is when out with other people, it provides the ability for multiple people (who may be using laptops as their only computing device) to have internet.

I don't foresee using it a lot, but I would like it.

And I understand that.. My point is how often do THOSE situations occur, where you don't have access to internet otherwise?

I'm having a tough time thinking of any... then again I'm almost never outside of Dallas/LA/Baltimore/Chicago....

I don't know. Smallest Ipad, with 4g, plus Apple Care (a must) is over 700 dollars. Wow. Really?

And I understand that.. My point is how often do THOSE situations occur, where you don't have access to internet otherwise?

I'm having a tough time thinking of any... then again I'm almost never outside of Dallas/LA/Baltimore/Chicago....

I've had enough unfortunate experiences with places where Wi-Fi should be available (e.g., airports, hotels, coffee shops, etc.), either with it being slow or just plain unavailable, that I welcome having a great fallback like this (that doesn't require using my phone as a hotspot). :) And that includes major metropolitan areas (DC/LA/Chicago/Seattle/NY/SF) that I am often in for work.

Back