The Nintendo Switch 2 Thread

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
With the other 2 new consoles out, started digging and saw note of a possible Nintendo Switch 2 early 2021, any one have any insight into it and the likelihood of this?

I am hoping for a new one from Nintendo, one that will play and look nice on a TV, not just as a hand held..

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nint...the Nintendo Switch,arrive by early next year.

Rumors about a possible Nintendo Switch 2 are starting to kick into high gear following a red-hot year for Nintendo's popular hybrid console. According to recent reports, the next Nintendo Switch could be a beefed-up version of Nintendo's beloved hybrid console with new features and 4K gaming support. And with the PS5 and Xbox Series X on the way, that's a good thing for Nintendo.

Nintendo's next Switch likely won't deliver things like ray tracing or 8K gaming, but a more powerful Switch could help the company better compete with the next-gen consoles that are set to debut by the end of 2020. And some rumors have pegged the Switch 2 as sporting some truly wild features, including potential dual-screen support.

Nintendo hasn't confirmed the existence of a new Nintendo Switch model, but the latest rumors indicate that a new Switch is all but inevitable. Here's everything we know about the New Nintendo Switch 2, including its possible release date, specs and features.

Latest Nintendo Switch 2 news (Updated October 28)​

Does nvidia have a new SoC since the switch came out? Haven't been paying much attention in that space.

4k support. Come on. They had to hamstring the shit out of zelda just to get it working, and you think they're gonna have 4k gaming?

I think it's feasible given this:

The Nintendo Switch 2 may also feature Nvidia DLSS 2.0 support, according to an Nvidia job ad spotted by Wccftech. The posting seeks a software engineer on the Tegra team to work on "next-generation graphics" and mentions gaming consoles by name. Considering that the Switch is the only Tegra-powered console out there, it's possible that Nvidia is conducting work on a CPU for a new model. DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling) is an AI technology designed to boost framerates in games, which could lead to much smoother performance if it makes its way to the Switch 2.

If they can get DLSS 2.0 support on the Switch, all they really need to render at is 1080p to get an upscaled 4K output when docked to your TV, which the current Swich already does in many cases. And honestly, DLSS or some comparable form of upscaling would definitely be the most efficient and appropriate way for them to get a significant IQ/performance boost out of the mobile SoC.

Personally, while all that would be awesome, I just hope they put a much higher-quality and resolution display into the Switch on their next revision, as the LCD they're currently using is just too low-res, uncalibrated, and dim for me. A 1080p OLED with gorilla glass would be an awesome upgrade to have and a big incentive for me to upgrade, along with BT support so I can use my existing BT ear buds and headphones at least.

I think it's feasible given this:

If they can get DLSS 2.0 support on the Switch, all they really need to render at is 1080p to get an upscaled 4K output when docked to your TV, which the current Swich already does in many cases. And honestly, DLSS or some comparable form of upscaling would definitely be the most efficient and appropriate way for them to get a significant IQ/performance boost out of the mobile SoC.

Personally, while all that would be awesome, I just hope they put a much higher-quality and resolution display into the Switch on their next revision, as the LCD they're currently using is just too low-res, uncalibrated, and dim for me. A 1080p OLED with gorilla glass would be an awesome upgrade to have and a big incentive for me to upgrade, along with BT support so I can use my existing BT ear buds and headphones at least.
That won't be early 2021. Nvidia doesn't have a 4k capable SoC, and i doubt they will for a while.

Here's a bigger reason switch 2 won't be next year:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/687059/nintendo-switch-unit-sales-worldwide/#:~:text=Global unit sales of Nintendo Switch console 2017-2020&text=Since its launch on March,over 65 million consoles worldwide.

Many places are still in supply shortages for christmas, like they can't make them fast enough. Why pay NVDA for a new model?

That won't be early 2021. Nvidia doesn't have a 4k capable SoC, and i doubt they will for a while.

Here's a bigger reason switch 2 won't be next year:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/687059/nintendo-switch-unit-sales-worldwide/#:~:text=Global unit sales of Nintendo Switch console 2017-2020&text=Since its launch on March,over 65 million consoles worldwide.

Many places are still in supply shortages for christmas, like they can't make them fast enough. Why pay NVDA for a new model?

Ok, that's cool, but your original post and my response had nothing to do with availability and my comment is still relevant to the next Switch whenever it does come out. You just completely changed the topic and moved the goal post.

As always, I hope there isn't one. I want Nintendo's franchise games on a platform that isn't lagging behind everyone else's. I'm pretty certain that's not happening, but I can dream. Either that or I want the 1980's/1990's Nintendo to return with hardware that's comparable to the competition. Either way, more realistically I don't want another crippled hybrid. Give me a home console or a handheld rather than a half-assed combo that doesn't do either particularly well. Drop the quirky control stuff that's different just to be different, too. It's not like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, Smash, etc. use it anyway.

As always, I hope there isn't one. I want Nintendo's franchise games on a platform that isn't lagging behind everyone else's. I'm pretty certain that's not happening, but I can dream. Either that or I want the 1980's/1990's Nintendo to return with hardware that's comparable to the competition. Either way, more realistically I don't want another crippled hybrid. Give me a home console or a handheld rather than a half-assed combo that doesn't do either particularly well. Drop the quirky control stuff that's different just to be different, too. It's not like Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Metroid, Smash, etc. use it anyway.
Not going to happen. They found a model that works and they will keep going with it. They are just printing money. I personally do t understand since their games are nothing special anymore and do nothing but try to push gimmicks.

Not going to happen. They found a model that works and they will keep going with it. They are just printing money. I personally do t understand since their games are nothing special anymore and do nothing but try to push gimmicks.

It's 80's kids who are notoriously obsessed with nostalgia and are now parents. Like 1/2 my friends fall into that category. They have like 3 Switches each and their kids all have one. What's funny is that the kids seem to mostly want to play Fortnite on their phone instead of with their Switch...but they all still have one.

It's 80's kids who are notoriously obsessed with nostalgia and are now parents. Like 1/2 my friends fall into that category. They have like 3 Switches each and their kids all have one. What's funny is that the kids seem to mostly want to play Fortnite on their phone instead of with their Switch...but they all still have one.
I am a 80s kid and the nostalgia went away over a decade ago. I use to be a huge Nintendo fanboy back in the day. They started losing me during the N64 days. I just don't find their games appealing or fun for a long time now.

I am a 80s kid and the nostalgia went away over a decade ago. I use to be a huge Nintendo fanboy back in the day. They started losing me during the N64 days. I just don't find their games appealing or fun for a long time now.

Nintendo embraced cute characters and child-like games, and, I grew up, out of that phase a while ago, and I have zero interest in 99.5% of their games.

I do play ring fit adventure on it, and rarely I'll play a NES/SNES game from the emulator on it. That's about it, all the cross platform games I'd rather get on PC or PS4.

My wife loves it, she plays animal crossing and Pokemon, so at least it's getting used.

So a Switch 2 won't get my interest, unless they have exclusives that speak to me, which, I don't see happening.

I still like a decent number of their core franchises. In particular Mario Kart and Smash, but also Zelda, Metroid, Mario Party, and a few others.
I hate having to buy Nintendo hardware that I don't want for those few games. They basically never use any of Nintendo's gimmicks and they always suffer from being on underpowered hardware. Not even just the graphics and sound in the case of the Switch - the network is horrendous, too. Good games suffer because of Nintendo's hardware decisions.

Yet whenever I bring this up with my "Nintendo can do no wrong" friends, they do that same old shrug and and repeat the tired old lines about Nintendo's games being fun and that the hardware doesn't matter. That's all the while there are plenty of fun games with 5 star graphics/sound on the other consoles. It's also not like all of them don't own a 4K TV set + at least one of the other consoles, too. Nintendo gets a weird free pass that I've only ever seen with Disney before. There are people that are ride or die for both and almost have blinders on.

Ok, that's cool, but your original post and my response had nothing to do with availability and my comment is still relevant to the next Switch whenever it does come out. You just completely changed the topic and moved the goal post.

This is the topic i'm commenting on, if you want to change it start your own thread please.

With the other 2 new consoles out, started digging and saw note of a possible Nintendo Switch 2 early 2021, any one have any insight into it and the likelihood of this?

Console isn't even 4 years old yet. In March 2021, it will be 4 years old. They're not coming out with a new console anytime soon.

There will be something like a 3DS XL of course. We've already seen the Lite, which is a cheaper option for mobile only gamers to better replace the 3DS. But I don't consider that a "new console". Just a different variant.

This is the topic i'm commenting on, if you want to change it start your own thread please.

Then you shouldn't have quoted and replied to my post that had nothing to do with that statement.

Nah, Sony and MS already have the "high-end" console market cornered and I think 3 is a crowd and would be too hard for Nintendo to complete on that front. I am kinda annoyed with their weird controller strategy though and it makes for game compatibility (on current and past games) on future generations that much harder to adapt to. But I think the Switch has held its own pretty well this generation considering it's still getting big titles like Wolfenstein, Doom, Skyrim, and Crysis Remastered ported to it. But even their first party titles still manage to look pretty good even on a 4K TV to me, considering it's only a 900-1080p output usually. I think they can definitely strike a nice medium between full console and portable for future generations, esp. with DLSS tech onboard. Though I rarely play my Switch portably, it's definitely nice when I do on occasional trips. So I hope they continue this model since I think they've pulled it off pretty well so far and can only get better at it on future gens.

Console isn't even 4 years old yet. In March 2021, it will be 4 years old. They're not coming out with a new console anytime soon.

There will be something like a 3DS XL of course. We've already seen the Lite, which is a cheaper option for mobile only gamers to better replace the 3DS. But I don't consider that a "new console". Just a different variant.

Well considering the PS4 Pro came out almost exactly 3 years after the PS4 came out and XBone X was 4 years after XBone launch, I'd say next year would be consistent with the competition for a mid-cycle refresh, esp. now that the next gen consoles are here.

I agree they don't really need to, but it may actually make more financial sense to if they're having trouble sourcing and manufacturing enough of those old Tegra chips to keep up with demand still. I think a newer SoC on a newer fab would allow them to manufacture and buy them from Nvidia more easily. That Tegra X1 chip is almost 6 years old now and was already over 2 years old when the Switch launched, so I think they've milked it for as long as they could at this point between the Switch and Shield TV, even with the small refresh they did of it last year.

Last edited:
That Tegra X1 chip is almost 6 years old now and was already over 2 years old when the Switch launched, so I think they've milked it for as long as they could at this point between the Switch and Shield TV, even with the small refresh they did of it last year.
Back on topic i agree they've milked it, but NVDA doesn't have a new SOC for a handheld. Also they are awful to work with on consoles, which is why AMD owns the market now. Nintendo would probably have an easier time negotiating a new SOC from AAPL at this point, and it would be faster.

If they could make it fully backwards compatible to play all current Switch games/apps with faster load times, smoother framerates, higher res (4k I think is do-able in some cases) and even make dual screen 3ds (using the tv as the top screen) and WiiU games run off it then a Switch 2 or SwitchU (lol, jk) or whatever would be very welcome. I wouldn't bet on it but that'd make me interested - I haven't bought a Switch actually

Back on topic i agree they've milked it, but NVDA doesn't have a new SOC for a handheld. Also they are awful to work with on consoles, which is why AMD owns the market now. Nintendo would probably have an easier time negotiating a new SOC from AAPL at this point, and it would be faster.

Well we're discussing a rumored console already, with the rumor in OP's article citing:

A sketchy, now-deleted 4chan post (via Inverse) suggests some major changes, including a custom Nvidia Tegra Xavier processor...

So maybe Nvidia does have a new SoC for a handheld coming. Which for Nintendo to continue full compatibility with the current gen games, would probably have to come from Nvidia as well. At least Nvidia would be leaving a lot of cash on the table if they didn't finally release a successor to the Tegra X1, not only for Nintendo's next Switch, but also for their own Shield devices that have been highly successful on their own. They apparently weren't so bad to work with that Nintendo could develop and release the Switch to begin with too.

If they could make it fully backwards compatible to play all current Switch games/apps with faster load times, smoother framerates, higher res (4k I think is do-able in some cases) and even make dual screen 3ds (using the tv as the top screen) and WiiU games run off it then a Switch 2 or SwitchU (lol, jk) or whatever would be very welcome. I wouldn't bet on it but that'd make me interested - I haven't bought a Switch actually

I would fully expect any next Switch device to be fully BC with the current Switch games, given how well Nintendo has been supportive of BC hardware with all of their previous handhelds and a few of their consoles as well. If they're going to release a new variant next year though, I doubt it will be the "Switch 2" either, but rather a "Switch Pro" for lack of a better mid-cycle hardware refresh given that the console is only a few years old still, further strengthening the argument of being BC with current Switch games.

I couldn't see them trying to go back to the dual-screen gimmick of the Wii-U though, given how hard that console failed and how blatant they were to drop that mentality with the Switch's dock intentionally covering the screen while docked. I would hope they just stick with the current form factor with smaller bezels for a larger screen while upgrading the hardware overall without trying to add any more gimmicks to the hardware.

Reactions: Youn
like this
60 fps pls not 4k...

Why not both? Or rather, either, like current and previous gen consoles often give you the option between 60 FPS or higher resolution. Personally, I always favor better performance as well and it seems like they would be severely throttling back the SoC if it could really do 4k/30 and then drop down to 720p/30 for portable where it should easily do 60 FPS at 720 still at a much lower power draw compared to docked.

It would seem contradictory for the next Switch to support such a huge disparity of resolutions though if it can really do 4K docked but be severely degraded down to 720p for portable. I think the only chance they have of pushing anywhere near 4K on a ~15W SoC is with some kind of DLSS up-scaling tech though.

A lot of folks in here clearly are not Nintendo's demo.... anyway on topic this more or less is what I've been waiting for.
Since we're all just really commenting on rumors: I think it's just going to be improved hardware based around essentially the same console. Much like the many DS revisions or just Nintendo revisions in general.

If it's faster, lighter/smaller, with a better screen (preferably 1080p, I don't think that's a crazy ask), and better battery life I'll be happy. If they do improve the processor/graphics it will be a pleasant surprise - but even if they do: I'm not expecting a massive improvement.

I still want the Nintendo of my youth to make a return. The one that launched systems with hardware that buried the competition. The one that made Atari and Coleco look like they were 3 generations behind. They've always been fond of gimmicks and doing things differently, but their systems weren't always filled with caveats that had to be defended as "fun" because they were underpowered. It won't happen, but I can keep hoping.

Realistically, I bet we get a slightly re-styled Switch with smaller bezels, better battery life, a higher resolution screen, and 4K support when plugged in.

At some point they're also bound to launch another Mario Kart...which will force me to buy one. It has been 7 years since Mario Kart 8 launched, so they're way past due.

I'm fully expecting the 4k to be due to DLSS, any other sort of performance bump is likely just gonna be from a node shrink. The 720p still in handheld mode is likely for cost and battery life reasons. Not to mention keeping a single "handheld" performance profile for the thousands of switch games already out.

The second these are available for preorder I'm getting one... possibly more than one. ;)
I know I'm gonna be getting one at launch, not sure if we're gonna replace both in the house, depends on how backwards compatible they are. My wife doesn't care about visuals nearly as much as I do.

I'm pretty certain I'll end up with one close to launch. Mainly just for Mario Kart and Smash. With Sony starting to port stuff to the PC, I wish Nintendo would go that route. I have zero desire to ever own another Nintendo system, but they have me ball the balls with those two titles.

I'll probably give mine to my niece and grab this one. Hopefully they add a better wireless receiver or add a ethernet port to the base because downloading and updating games on this thing is excruciatingly slow... Also, more sturdy build quality would be nice.

The bigger OLED screen would be welcomed, though the brightness on the first gen system is pretty nice. I'd imagine the brightness on the OLED is going to be dimmer.
Prob much dimmer, OLED doesn't like brightness. My gf burned the tiktok logo in her new samsung in 2 months.

Does nvidia have a new SoC since the switch came out? Haven't been paying much attention in that space.

*I do not claim to have any true insider information*
But it's my guess with nVidia's impending purchase of ARM they have things on the burner - possibly quite a few things. I don't think they'd make a multi billion dollar purchase and then just "wait" for the acquisition to come in. If they're smart, and generally nVidia is (just also anti-competitive), then I'm sure there are mobile and desktop parts that they've been prototyping and working on in the background that they will eventually add to ARM's license-able design book.
Considering Nintendo's Switch success as well, I'd also imagine they'd have another part ready for them at the request of Nintendo even if none of the above is true. It's not like nVidia can't essentially just get ARM's current mobile designs and tweak that and ship it.

*I do not claim to have any true insider information*
But it's my guess with nVidia's impending purchase of ARM they have things on the burner - possibly quite a few things. I don't think they'd make a multi billion dollar purchase and then just "wait" for the acquisition to come in. If they're smart, and generally nVidia is (just also anti-competitive), then I'm sure there are mobile and desktop parts that they've been prototyping and working on in the background that they will eventually add to ARM's license-able design book.
Considering Nintendo's Switch success as well, I'd also imagine they'd have another part ready for them at the request of Nintendo even if none of the above is true. It's not like nVidia can't essentially just get ARM's current mobile designs and tweak that and ship it.
What acquisition?

https://theconversation.com/nvidias...mple-of-geopolitics-killing-innovation-154999

I'd love to say I'm going to have one at launch but with what we've seen this year between PS5 and GPU's.....

My ass will be physically in a line somewhere, otherwise it's pretty pointless.

I'd love to say I'm going to have one at launch but with what we've seen this year between PS5 and GPU's.....

My ass will be physically in a line somewhere, otherwise it's pretty pointless.
Shortage might delay it to 2022.

Back