The Next Big Thing?

psychot|K

Limp Gawd
What's the next big thing coming in video cards? I remember someone mentioning something starting with a "V" but I can't remember the name. What technology do you think that's coming in the next year or so that will revolutionize video cards?

Elios said:
unified shaders

I heard about that...
Sorry for the noob question but I'm not gonna pretend I know exactly what it is :) All I know is that it has something to do with pipelines, right? Care to elaborate? How long till the market sees unified shaders? And what will it do for raw processing power?

psychot|K said:
I heard about that...
Sorry for the noob question but I'm not gonna pretend I know exactly what it is :) All I know is that it has something to do with pipelines, right? Care to elaborate? How long till the market sees unified shaders? And what will it do for raw processing power?
I am going to use the 360 for example. It has 48 pipes, but they are used as both pixel shaders and vertex shaders.

EgyptBoy20 said:
I am going to use the 360 for example. It has 48 pipes, but they are used as both pixel shaders and vertex shaders.

Will the PS3 be doing something similar? When do you think we'll see this on desktop machines?

Having a card supplement and enhance your existing card is a big thing. I fail to see your point Chris_B?

Jovi said:
Having a card supplement and enhance your existing card is a big thing. I fail to see your point Chris_B?

That physics cards have nothing much to do with video cards?

I think the next big thing will be the next version of DirectX (I think they changed the name for Longhorn, don't remember what it was called but it isn't DirectX 10)

Oh, and currently physics are handled by the CPU, not the GPU. Therefore, the PhysX chip technically doesn't enhance the GPU.

HOCP4ME said:
I think the next big thing will be the next version of DirectX (I think they changed the name for Longhorn, don't remember what it was called but it isn't DirectX 10)

Oh, and currently physics are handled by the CPU, not the GPU. Therefore, the PhysX chip technically doesn't enhance the GPU.

I think that they're trying to imply that the Ageia chips will be added to video cards in the future.

Crimson Tear said:
I think that they're trying to imply that the Ageia chips will be added to video cards in the future.

Yea, that means video cards will be $900. ;)

dR.Jester said:
Yea, that means video cards will be $900. ;)

And at that point, I'll probably have to get a Xbox 360/PS3 because I'm not going to pay out the nose just to game :mad: . Actually, if they had a keyboard/mouse for 360, I might pick one of them up right now ;)...I just can't play FPS games with a joystick.

R600 (summer 2006), lets hope july.

Unified shaders GDDR4 memory, hopefully 10mb of embedded EDRAM like the r500
next dx version at same time

Unoid said:

al the DX10 card will have most of that just to let you know as its part of the DX10 spec

Unoid said:

eDRAM is too expensive, it would be nice, but don't hold your breath for it to be on desktop parts

So summer of 06 is when we can start seeing some big revolutions in the vid card world for desktops?

psychot|K said:
So summer of 06 is when we can start seeing some big revolutions in the vid card world for desktops?

yes the cards for DX10 should start showing up by then

Think 512MB will be pretty much standard for the more gaming-focused cards by then? What do you think the pipeline debate will look like by then?

Chris_B said:
That physics cards have nothing much to do with video cards?
yes, it soes actualy, i think, you see, if you have a PPU and a newer game (Farcry 2 for exaple) that has fully interacive/desructive enviorments then that will take a HUGE load off of the CPU and the video card, it will even help the lower end cards preform much better, since the video card(s) can consentrait on JUST textures, resolution, etc.........

Brent_Justice said:
eDRAM is too expensive, it would be nice, but don't hold your breath for it to be on desktop parts

um, what exactly is eDRAM? never heard of it before...

Chris_B said:
Next big thing in video cards, not just in general.

this ageia card is going to make current games in current video cards seem like a tic tac toe games! this card is going to truly revolutionaze games, have you seen the demos?

i hope they dont invent a.i., if they do machines will slave us.

yep
that sounds like an awesome idea
pave way for cheaper gpu upgrades
and the ability to upgrade memory and the gpu itself at will

Bona Fide said:
Isn't nVidia trying to push a "GPU socket"?

I think you'd see something like this in a notebook before you'd see it in the desktop. GPU modules :). That'd be sweet.

Wesley1357 said:
this ageia card is going to make current games in current video cards seem like a tic tac toe games! this card is going to truly revolutionaze games, have you seen the demos?

i hope they dont invent a.i., if they do machines will slave us.

accomplishable by a dual core as well.... what else are you going to use that core for... ageia is a sham

psychot|K said:
Will the PS3 be doing something similar? When do you think we'll see this on desktop machines?
The PS3 uses an Nvidia GPU that is similar to the 7800gtx. So no it doesn't have unified shaders.

tayunz said:
The PS3 uses an Nvidia GPU that is similar to the 7800gtx. So no it doesn't have unified shaders.

Oh well... it's not like the 7800GTX is a slouch anyways :p
I'm waiting for a PS3, gonna skip the XBOX 360.

Verge said:
accomplishable by a dual core as well.... what else are you going to use that core for... ageia is a sham

lets see 3000 rigid bodys via CPU or 10,000 with the add in card + it can fluids btw air is a fluid and it can do many other types of phyics too like hair and cloth

The Ageia part will be a superior physics processor because that is what it was designed to be from the ground up. Current CPUs are not optimized for physics.

It would suck to have to pay for a new physics card in addition to a new video card...

GPU socket ftw!

Back